Nice Upgrade, but unneeded stress created ?

marc b

We just finished a wonderful 9 days on the Carribean Princess (more info later if folks have questions), but ran into an interesting situation at the pier. We have cruised on Princess five times previously, twice on the Carribean Princess. We purchased a mini-suite, but when we got our tickets at the pier from the rep, our cabin had been switched. When I inquired, I was told if this were an issue, I would have to take it up at the purser's desk onboard. My response was that if we had a mini-suite or higher, it would not be an issue (even though we had a specific cabin - figured we'd let it go), but certainly wanted to know what category of cabin we had prior to boarding the ship. Unfortunately, neither the person that checked us in, nor the Princess rep (supervisor) could tell us what category our new room was. Seeing that we were getting nowhere, and my frustration level increasing, DW pulled me away from the check-in counter (my nails dragging across the counter). Lo and behold, once we got onboard, we had a nice upgrade to a suite. Really awesome !

But, shouldn't someone at the pier have had the ability to provide this information to us prior to our boarding the ship ? No brochure, no internet for the reps ? (The pier is a dead zone to our personal wireless, and we no longer carry brochures, etc. with us). Perhaps I should be a more trusting sort, but I thought this could have been handled in a much more expedient manner by Princess personnel. Thoughts ?

We just finished a wonderful 9 days on the Carribean Princess (more info later if folks have questions), but ran into an interesting situation at the pier. We have cruised on Princess five times previously, twice on the Carribean Princess. We purchased a mini-suite, but when we got our tickets at the pier from the rep, our cabin had been switched. When I inquired, I was told if this were an issue, I would have to take it up at the purser's desk onboard. My response was that if we had a mini-suite or higher, it would not be an issue (even though we had a specific cabin - figured we'd let it go), but certainly wanted to know what category of cabin we had prior to boarding the ship. Unfortunately, neither the person that checked us in, nor the Princess rep (supervisor) could tell us what category our new room was. Seeing that we were getting nowhere, and my frustration level increasing, DW pulled me away from the check-in counter (my nails dragging across the counter). Lo and behold, once we got onboard, we had a nice upgrade to a suite. Really awesome !

But, shouldn't someone at the pier have had the ability to provide this information to us prior to our boarding the ship ? No brochure, no internet for the reps ? (The pier is a dead zone to our personal wireless, and we no longer carry brochures, etc. with us). Perhaps I should be a more trusting sort, but I thought this could have been handled in a much more expedient manner by Princess personnel. Thoughts ?

I agree they should have the knowledge and the tools to help you out. :rolleyes:

I agree they should have the knowledge and the tools to help you out. :rolleyes:

I agree also , I did not know that they would not be able to tell you that information, I can certainly understand your stress. I am glad it all worked out ok.

Cori

I honestly don't think that those that check you in and give you your sail and sign cards know all that much about staterooms and stateroom categories. They aren't travel agents, and they don't actually sell cruises, they are just check in agents. Finding out before you boarded would not have done any good, as there would have been nothing you could have done until you went to the purser's desk anyway. The cards are all pre-printed, and all they are doing is checking your ID/Passport, scanning your credit card, and making sure your boarding passes are signed.

Sounds more to me like you were stressed maybe just a little after getting to the pier and were worried you were moved to an undesireable location. What a nice surprise you received. ;)

But no, I honestly don't think the check in agents have access to this info or a way to get it for you when there is a line to check in others. IMHO!

The reps are merely check-in people. One day they'll check in passengers on a Princess cruise, the next day, they'll check in a Carnival cruise. I agree that they should have a deck plan on hand for the ship. Did they even give you your new cabin #? You could have easily figured out which cabin category and location by that even without a deck plan, particularly if you've been on Princess previously.

Check-in personnel are not privy to information regarding types of cabins etc. They check you in and that's it. If there was a cabin change, you can be certain it would be an upgrade NOT a downgrade, that does not happen. So, if you really have an issue, you MUST see someone at Reception. Remember the check-in people in all but a very few ports are NOT Princess employees, but employees of a handling company.They are provided with a computer with limited capability and some basic forms (for those that forget theirs or refuse to print them on their computers. Or are unable to print them) They also have ship guides and that's it.

The only Princess personnel available at check-in are the IT people from the ship and they usually do not know cabin grades either.

I usually have a print out of the deck plans that I have gotten from the Princess website and can answer basic questions, but not everyone takes the time or incentive to do that. I like to know which are the suites etc. and can tell from the printed deck plans.

They should at least have a brochure that they can refer to. It's really frustrating when you get the runaround for a simple question such as what category a room is. At least it all seemed to work out ok!

But with 500-2000 or more people waiting to be checked in for your cruise, would you really want to be standing in line behind someone demanding to know what category cabin they were upgraded to while the check in agent looked it up in the deck plan? Think about this for a moment. ;)

Good for you! The suite must have been worth all the worry. I have had the same thing happen to me on a Hal cruise. Booked a specific stern cabin and at the pier was told it had been changed but no additional information available. I started to get annoyed about the change until I entered the new cabin to find it was a full suite. I love happy endings.

I would think that when you book a particular cabin and suddenly get a change at embarkation it would have to be a lot better than what you originally had!

I usually have a print out of the deck plans that I have gotten from the Princess website and can answer basic questions, but not everyone takes the time or incentive to do that. I like to know which are the suites etc. and can tell from the printed deck plans.
Every passenger is handed a ship's map at check-in which will tell you where your cabin is, if not specifically, the general area. It won't give you the category but you can figure that out from the ship map.

We've been upgraded at the pier, and our reaction was that we couldn't wait to see what cabin we had been upgraded to.

For us this provided more excitement in boarding, as if that beautiful big white ship wasn't enough.

For the OP, I applaud DW who "pulled me away from the check-in counter" It would seem she recognized a) a good thing had happened - the upgrade, b) the clerk had stated they didn't have information, so no further time need be spent at the counter, and c) the clerk had given you information on the only available recourse, see the Pursor onboard, should you not like the new cabin.

Given limited knowledge of the interior of the ship, the check-in clerk provided excellent and complete guidance.

She seems emminently sensible. :)

For some interesting thoughts and good info. What surprised me was that when they called over the Princess rep, that indivdual was unable to assist. Would have figured they could have found out deck plans rather quickly. But if they were IT, as folks have suggested, that explains their lack of knowledge as well. In the future, as one poster suggested, I'll bring deck plans. Just FYI, we had booked D-303 (mini-suite on Dolphin - not good location, but we did this last minute); and ended up in E-732 - Vista Suite - there are mini-suites, regular balconies, and two suites back there on Emerald Deck.

Having never preivously been in a suite before, we will have a hard time going back (it's a tough life on a cruise ship !). Pls let me know if any questions about the cruise, etc.

The same thing happened to us when we checked in for our Transatlantic on the Grand in November 2008. At first I was rather irritated because I had worked long and hard to get us the exact mini we booked and the agent at check-in pronounced a change in cabin with no explaination. She too said we could take it up with the Purser - end of discussion. It sounded (to me) like we were getting a downgrade from a mini on Dolphin to a balcony on Caribe. Then I remembered that the PS suites were still available just a few days before. Sure enough, we were upgraded to the very suite I had been eyeing for months!

I agree with you, it seems that the agent should be able to say "upgrade to a suite" rather than "changed your cabin" but I guess they don't get that information. But just the thought of 21 days in a full suite and all my irritation floated out to sea. It was wonderful!!!

Maggie

This post made me smile as I am one of the check-in agents for Princess and I had this EXACT situation occur on Saturday when I checked someone in for the Island Princess. The husband and wife came to me and I processed them. When I handed them their keys and gave them their room number, the husband started yelling at me that I had given him the wrong room. I explained that he had most likely been upgraded - we do NOT have any info about any of this, all we have is what the computer gives us. As someone else mentioned, all the room keys are pre-printed and any changes must be made onboard. We are powerless to do anything. The gentleman would not listen to this and I ended up calling the ship computer officer over to assist me. Luckily, he DID have a colour coded deck plan with all the categories for rooms. He explained to the gentleman that he had received an upgrade from a mini-suite to a full suite. To my amazement, the gentleman CONTINUED to protest and said that he would never sail princess again and they would recieve a strongly worded letter to that effect. I asked why he was resistant to the upgrade and he said that he wanted a cabin at the front of the ship, but the suite was at the back!!! Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't care if I were getting towed BEHIND the ship if it were in a suite. The computer officer assured him that there would be many others onboard happy to switch for his suite and all he needed to do was let passenger services know. Finally he stormed off, still complaining loudly - and YES, he held up my line for 25 minutes!!!

Check-in personnel are not privy to information regarding types of cabins etc. They check you in and that's it. If there was a cabin change, you can be certain it would be an upgrade NOT a downgrade, that does not happen. So, if you really have an issue, you MUST see someone at Reception. Remember the check-in people in all but a very few ports are NOT Princess employees, but employees of a handling company.They are provided with a computer with limited capability and some basic forms (for those that forget theirs or refuse to print them on their computers. Or are unable to print them) They also have ship guides and that's it.

The only Princess personnel available at check-in are the IT people from the ship and they usually do not know cabin grades either.

You are such a great guy:p

For me, I know nothing and I can prove it.

This post made me smile as I am one of the check-in agents for Princess and I had this EXACT situation occur on Saturday when I checked someone in for the Island Princess. The husband and wife came to me and I processed them. When I handed them their keys and gave them their room number, the husband started yelling at me that I had given him the wrong room. I explained that he had most likely been upgraded - we do NOT have any info about any of this, all we have is what the computer gives us. As someone else mentioned, all the room keys are pre-printed and any changes must be made onboard. We are powerless to do anything. The gentleman would not listen to this and I ended up calling the ship computer officer over to assist me. Luckily, he DID have a colour coded deck plan with all the categories for rooms. He explained to the gentleman that he had received an upgrade from a mini-suite to a full suite. To my amazement, the gentleman CONTINUED to protest and said that he would never sail princess again and they would recieve a strongly worded letter to that effect. I asked why he was resistant to the upgrade and he said that he wanted a cabin at the front of the ship, but the suite was at the back!!! Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't care if I were getting towed BEHIND the ship if it were in a suite. The computer officer assured him that there would be many others onboard happy to switch for his suite and all he needed to do was let passenger services know. Finally he stormed off, still complaining loudly - and YES, he held up my line for 25 minutes!!!

Location, Location, Location. I booked an aft balcony and had to sell DH on the location. Before booking it, I was unaware of the aft experience. The Princess rep was so thrilled it was still available, so I decided to give it a try. I was always aprehensive of the aft because of vibration. It was a great experience and have no regreats about giving up an upgrade to a mini-suite in order to keep it. Some people just don't like to be at the back of the 'boat'.

way back when I did a lot of standby sailing or cabin assigned at pier sailing, especially out of the port of SFO...

I got use to carrying a deck plan that I had torn out of a brochure and put inside of my "tentative" cruise documents

I still do it today...

it weighs nothing

and if you haven't been on the ship before it's quite helpful

I do not envy you having to deal with some of these rude customers. It amazes me over and over to see people treating the reps so awful. On CC we mostly read how this or that cruiseline has horrible customer service but I would like to hear the cruiseline personnel tell their side of the story how some cruisers treat them. I have witnessed it. Thanks for sharing your experience with this particular cruiser ;)

The worst piece is when customers SCREAM at us because they need to wait in line for security screening and US customs/immigration. As we are in Canada and they are cruising to the US, they need to pre-clear US customs/immigration before boarding. I think this is pretty unique to Vancouver (maybe a few other ports, but not too many) and is absolutely nothing to do with the cruise lines at all - it is mandated by US homeland security in order to keep the US safe. I understand that waiting in line sucks, but you're about to go on vacation....chill out! What really annoys me is that they yell at the reps and threaten never to cruise with the line again, and say how they have never had to wait in line before - yet NO ONE yells at the immigration officers who are the ones responsible for actually making them wait in line...sorry, a little off topic, but my rant of the day!!!! Thanks for listening!

I do not envy you having to deal with some of these rude customers. It amazes me over and over to see people treating the reps so awful. On CC we mostly read how this or that cruiseline has horrible customer service but I would like to hear the cruiseline personnel tell their side of the story how some cruisers treat them. I have witnessed it. Thanks for sharing your experience with this particular cruiser ;)

I actually love my job, believe it or not...for every rude, mean, obnoxious customer, I get at least 10 who couldn't be nicer!

I actually love my job, believe it or not...for every rude, mean, obnoxious customer, I get at least 10 who couldn't be nicer!

Thank you for giving your side of the story. it really amazes how people act especially when given an upgrade. Sheeesh. I also have a cruising buddy who also checks in princess passengers but at San Francisco and she sure has lots of stories to tell too.

Marilyn

Sorry that the ticket agents have to put up with so much - We watched a scene unfold with another cruise line in the Barcelona airport. Our fellow passengers were rude, foul mouthed (dropped the f - bomb many times) and proceeded to berate the poor employee when it was clear that there was no solution to the problem. When it was our turn at the desk, my husband apologized for their arrogance and overall bad behavior. Not all Americans are ugly!! To our surprise, the agent "bumped" us up to 1st class air unbeknowst to us. Imagine the "ugly Americans" faces as they walked past us into coach on a transatlantic flight! Being kind has its rewards!!

I wish you all better behaved customers.

Kathie

Archived