Snorkeling in Greek Isles?

tropicalkerry2002

We are on Athens to Istanbul in September. In a few ports we have half day tours booked,in others, no tour. I am hoping to get to a lot of beaches on this cruise.

I love snorkeling. Has anybody found there to be a lot of good snorkeling? Any recommended beaches to snorkel at? Is the water too cold in mid-late September? I am trying to decide if I should bring my own mask/snorkel. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Marian

SIX weeks from FRIDAY we are ON OUR WAY!!!

We did Athens to Istanbul in May and it was marvelous! I also love to snorkel but my impression is that in Europe there is NOT snorkeling like in the Carrib. I did alot of research ahead of time - maybe it was on Corfu it was mentioned the waters were good but I don't think you are going to see alot of different beautiful fish like in the Carrib. Maybe another poster will be more encouraging. I really wanted a beach day on Mykonos and then the weather was lousy. Instead we hit the beach in Rhodes. Hope you too have a wonderful trip.

Any recommended beaches to snorkel at? Is the water too cold in mid-late September? I am trying to decide if I should bring my own mask/snorkel. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Marian

SIX weeks from FRIDAY we are ON OUR WAY!!!

Well, I grew up on the Jersey shore and, therefore, swam in the Mediterranean in November in Tel Aviv (while my PA-raised pool spouse looked on in horror), so I say go for it!

Also, at least in Jersey, the water warms up over the summer, so September normally beats June, at least for the Atlantic Ocean.

Never heard of any snorkeling in the Med, just in the Gulf of Aqaba off the southern tip of Israel in that part of the world.

Archived