Top choices for Capri?

cheffip

I'm planning a DIY to Capri for my stop at Naples and would like recommendations for the top choices for a relaxing day (emphasis on relaxing).

Should I concentrate on Capri Town with a hike to Villa Jovis etc. or Anacapri with Villa San Michele and Monte Solaro?

Are there other good options to consider? (I saw the Blue Grotto a number of years ago so don't need to do that again). Also,what's the best order to do things?

I don't want to miss the highlights but I also don't want to rush from one site to another or risk taking the last hydrofoil back to Naples.

What a refreshing change, someone who isn't looking to dash around with a long checklist of "been there, seen that" items.

I think it's great to spend time just wandering in Capri Town and taking the chair lift up the mountain from Ana Capri. There are some lovely walks as well.

I've never done it, but many people I know have raved about taking a boat trip that circumnavigates the entire island.

The official city of Capri web site has some beautiful pictures, historical information, ferry info and an events schedule, but I didn't see an English language version (although I should admit I didn't look too hard, it may be there and I missed it): http://www.cittadicapri.it/index.php

I echo some of the previous comments about congratulations on electing to have a relaxing day. We love long lazy days on Capri and always spend a full day on the island when we are vacationing on the Amalfi Coast. My relaxing day would be to have some coffee in Capri Town as soon as we arrive. Than, take the local bus up to Anacapri and take the chair lift up the mountain. When you get to the top of Mt Solaro buy yourself another cup of java and relax on one of the comfy swing chairs as you gaze out at the fabulous views. Than, take the chair lift back to Anacapri and spend some time just walking around this residential town. When ready, have a nice long lunch at one of the quiet cafes/restaurants in Anacapri. Finally, take the bus back to Capri where you can do some shopping/browsing, walking, and perhaps stop for a relaxing glass of wine or a beer.

Hank

I'm planning a DIY to Capri for my stop at Naples and would like recommendations for the top choices for a relaxing day (emphasis on relaxing).

Should I concentrate on Capri Town with a hike to Villa Jovis etc. or Anacapri with Villa San Michele and Monte Solaro?

Are there other good options to consider? (I saw the Blue Grotto a number of years ago so don't need to do that again). Also,what's the best order to do things?

I don't want to miss the highlights but I also don't want to rush from one site to another or risk taking the last hydrofoil back to Naples.

We are docking in Naples on 9/15 on the Voyager of the Seas. We, too, are only doing Capri on our own!! I am thinking that we might head for Anacapri to get the chairlifts to Mount Solaro - as I understand later in the day there are long lines for the chair lifts (It looks like there are not too many ships in port that day, so it might not be too bad - if Cruise ITT is correct).

We might start there and work our way down but I am a bit concerned that there may be fog if we do the chairlift too early in the morning.

Capri is indeed a very stunning isle, but if you have any mobility issues please remember that it is mountainous. Secondly, it's tiny, which is good news if you want to see most it has to offer in one day. Capri Town is more like a village...it's not a town as most of us would understand it. The main square is Piazza Umberto, which is tiny.....cafes and boutique shopping, basically. You can reach that on foot in 15 mins, or by funicular straight up the cliff from Marina Grande....where the hydrofoil from Naples will dock. My fav spot on the isle is the stunning rocky outcrops of Faraglioni, which is accessed on foot with a steep uphill climb from Piazza Umberto. The Blue Grotto is worth a visit and the chairlift at Monte Solaro offers great panoramic views but might be a bit hairy for some. The other 'town' on the isle is Anacapri, even smaller than Capri Town, and less picturesque. I am planning to visit Capri again on my cruise later this month ( Brilliance of The Seas). I have spent over two weeks on Capri in the past, when single, but my SD ( snapdragon) has never been before, so I will likely incorporate Sorrento too ( only 20 mins away by hydrofoil, Sorrento-Naples only 30 mins by hydrofoil). The top tip for Capri , according to the brilliant Tripadvisor site, is to do Gianni's boat trip around the island. Ive not done that before. I emailed Gianni a couple of weeks ago and this was his reply:

I RECOMMEND YOU FOUR CHOICES:

______2 HOURS TOUR OF ISLAND: ( BASIC)

YOU CAN'T MISS A WONDERFUL AND COMPLETE BOAT TOUR ( 2 HOURS ) OF CAPRI, A VERY LOVELY TIME DURING WHICH I'LL SHOW YOU ALL THE BEAUTIES, ALL THE INTERESTING PLACES OF CAPRI COAST:WE 'LL VISIT THE GREEN CAVE WHERE YOU CAN ALSO SWIM INSIDE, THE FARAGLIONI, THE WHITE CAVE WITH ITS MYSTERIOUS STALACTITES AND THE "VIRGIN" STALAGMITE, MARINA PICCOLA , CALA DEL RIO, THE LIGHTHOUSES, PUNTA CARENA, THE BABY BLUE GROTTO, THE URCHIN ROCK, THE SAINTS CAVE, THE CORALS CAVE AS A THROAT OF A WHALE, THE TURTLE ROCK, MONACONE, THE SAILORS CAVE, THE RED GROTTO, TIBERIOUS' LEAP , THE EMERALD ROCK , THE NATURAL ARCH, ANACAPRI COAST, TRAGARA BAY ,

VILLA MALAPARTE SIRENS ROCKS ETC............... I'LL SPEAK ABOUT LEGENDS, FAMOUS HOUSES, MITHYCAL FIGURES OF THIS MAGIC ISLAND...

WE ALSO ARRIVE OUTSIDE THE BLUE GROTTO WHERE IF YOU WANT TO GO INTO, THERE IS A TICKET OF 10,50 € TO PAY AT THE BOAT OFFICE OUTSIDE THE CAVE, ( YOU CAN ALSO SKIP IT BECAUSE I'LL SHOW YOU TWO CAVES OF THE SAME COLOUR WITHOUT PAYING)

PRICE : TOTALLY 140 € GASOLINE INCLUDED

_____3 HOURS TOUR OF ISLAND : (RECOMMENDED)

THE SAME TOUR OF ISLAND MADE SLOWLY WITH AN HOUR TO STOP FOR SWIMMING IN A BAY WHERE THE WATER IS CRISTALLYNE .

PRICE : TOTALLY 180 € GASOLINE INCLUDED

_____HALF DAY EXCURSION: (UNFORGETTABLE)

ABOUT FOUR HOURS AND HALF AROUND CAPRI COAST ( COMPLETE TOUR INCLUDED) TO SWIM, TO RELAX, TO TAN , TO FEEL BETTER THE MAGIC ATMOSPHERE OF THE "BLUE ISLAND"

PRICE : TOTALLY 250 € GASOLINE INCLUDED

_____FULL DAY EXCURSION ( TERRIFIC)

A FULL DAY AROUND CAPRI COAST( TOUR INCLUDED ) TO LIVE COMPLETELY CAPRI SEA!!

PRICE: TOTALLY 300 €

MY TOUR ARE INDIVIDUALS, JUST FOR YOU, WE'LL DEPART JUST WHEN YOU ARE READY!!!!

MY MEETING POINT IN MARINA GRANDE IS AT "CAFFE' AUGUSTO" YOU CAN'T GO WRONG, OR IF YOU TELL MY YOUR ARRIVAL BY FERRY I'LL WAIT FOR YOU AT THE DOCK WITH A BOARD HAND WITH THE WRITING " WELLCOME TO CAPRI , CHARLES"!

I ALSO GIVE YOU A MAP OF CAPRI FOR YOU AND ALL THE ADVICES YOU WANT TO COMPLETE YOUR MAGIC DAY IN CAPRI!

YOU DON'T NEED TO PAY A GUIDE FOR A LAND TOUR, IT' S EASY UPSIDE , I'LL SHOW YOU THE BEST PLACES ON THE BOAT AND I'LL INDICATE YOU THE WALKING SITE YOU HAD TO GO AS AUGUSTUS GARDEN, BELVEDERE TRAGARA , THE FAMOUS PIAZZETTA , CARTHUSIAN MONASTERY AND IF YOU LOVE TO WALK, VILLA JOVIS

MY BOATS ARE SAFE, CLEAN AND COMFORTABLE AND HAVE CANOPIES, SUNCUSHIONS, STEREO AND IPOD SOCKET FOR YOUR MUSIC , LADDER , CLEAN TOWELS, SHOWER TO RINSE OFF, FRIGOBAR ( YOU CAN CARRY ALL DRINKS, SANDWICHES AND FOODS , YOU WANT WITHOUT PAY MINIBAR SERVICE!

YOU CAN ALSO CHOICE TO GO TO SOME RESTAURANT THAT WE CAN REACH JUST BY BOAT

I ATTACHED YOU SOME PICTURES OF MY TOURS, DON'T FORGET

YOUR CAMERA!

CALL OR EMAIL ME TO BOOK THE BOAT, WHEN YOU ARE READY AND SURE , NO DEPOSIT TO RESERVE IT

WE 'LL SPEND WONDERFUL TIME AROUND CAPRI!!

VERY FLEXIBLE ON THE WEATHER

AT YOUR DISPOSAL FOR ANY FURTHER INFO

GIANNI +39 3381622275

If you are interested let me know and I'll dig out his email addy.

Happy cruisin,

Charlie :)

We are docking in Naples on 9/15 on the Voyager of the Seas. We, too, are only doing Capri on our own!! I am thinking that we might head for Anacapri to get the chairlifts to Mount Solaro - as I understand later in the day there are long lines for the chair lifts (It looks like there are not too many ships in port that day, so it might not be too bad - if Cruise ITT is correct).

We might start there and work our way down but I am a bit concerned that there may be fog if we do the chairlift too early in the morning.

We went on the ship's tour to Capri, and they take you to Anacapri first. I am thinking we arrived in Anacapri around 10:00 a.m. You have to figure first you have to be cleared to get off the ship, and then you have to purchase the hydrofoil tickets, and then the wait for the hydrofoil, and then the ride across is around 45 minutes. It will not be too early in the morning by the time you arrive. We also ate lunch in Anacapri and shopped at a lovely department store and perfume shops. Anacapri was one of the highlights of the entire cruise for us. When you go to Capritown, make sure you visit the gardens and visit the lemoncello stores, they give free samples.:) We were not impressed with the harbor area of Capri, just give yourself enough time to get back to the ferry.

We went on the ship's tour to Capri, and they take you to Anacapri first. I am thinking we arrived in Anacapri around 10:00 a.m. You have to figure first you have to be cleared to get off the ship, and then you have to purchase the hydrofoil tickets, and then the wait for the hydrofoil, and then the ride across is around 45 minutes. It will not be too early in the morning by the time you arrive. We also ate lunch in Anacapri and shopped at a lovely department store and perfume shops. Anacapri was one of the highlights of the entire cruise for us. When you go to Capritown, make sure you visit the gardens and visit the lemoncello stores, they give free samples.:) We were not impressed with the harbor area of Capri, just give yourself enough time to get back to the ferry.

Great information - thanks - we will definitely be trying the lemoncello!! I have read so much about it.

Did you just do Capri on your port day or did you incorporate another excusion - I think we talked before because I remembered we are almost neighbors!!

Regardless of where limoncello originated, you are somewhat bombarded by it on Capri. After first tasting it there, I thought I didn't like it. Years later I was convinced to try it again at a bar in tiny Perdifumo (down near the Cilento forrest) and loved the stuff. Different brands, different recipes. It's not all the same.

Regardless of where limoncello originated, you are somewhat bombarded by it on Capri. After first tasting it there, I thought I didn't like it. Years later I was convinced to try it again at a bar in tiny Perdifumo (down near the Cilento forrest) and loved the stuff. Different brands, different recipes. It's not all the same.

We like the "hard" stuff, you keep in your freezer. LOL:D

The hike to Villa Jovis is one of the most beautiful in Capri. You get away from the square and the crowds and go into the back streets where the "capriotes" live. It is a moderate climb, but the views from the the top are really quite remarkable. You can see most of the islands of the Bay of Sorrento and you get a beautiful view of the "the faragloni". (the three rocks that are the symbols of Capri. On the way down, take a short detour on the via matermania. The "Arco" is part of a beautiful park and with magnificent rock outcroppings. There's a small cafe and restaurant just nearby where you can relax with a drink of limoncello or a full or light meal.

Go back the way you came. or continue on the staircase past the arches which will bring you back to Capri town. This is rather a strenuous up and down climb, I wouldn't recommend this unless you're an active walker. If you do go you won't be disappointed. Allow 2-3 hours for this itinerary.

Hi Zayhne and Ayden,

I discovered Gianni's boat trip via Tripadvisor ( it's rated no1 on the popularity index of Things To Do In Capri. Here's the link http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187783-Activities-Capri_Campania.html

Scroll down to CapriWonderful and you can read the ( very positive ) reviews.

Gianni's direct email address is : giannite@hotmail.com

:)

• 7 months later...
Hi Zayhne and Ayden,

I discovered Gianni's boat trip via Tripadvisor ( it's rated no1 on the popularity index of Things To Do In Capri. Here's the link http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g187783-Activities-Capri_Campania.html

Scroll down to CapriWonderful and you can read the ( very positive ) reviews.

Gianni's direct email address is : giannite@hotmail.com

:)

We are going back to Naples in September. Have not yet been to Capri.

I love the idea of a boat trip, has anyone used Gianni (which tour) and

what did you think?

Thanks

Mari:)

Has anyone used Capitanoago tours? Their tour on the website looks great and is only 65 euro pp. There is nothing much about them on trip adviser though. Or would we be better to book Gianni for 300 and find another couple (or two)

Archived