Past Alaska Cruisers: Favorite Port?

Host Caroline

What's your favorite port of call in Alaska?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite port of call in Alaska?

• Ketchikan
    • Juneau
    • Skagway
    • Sitka

For me- my favorite is Seward- nope not on the list. :) Anyway- a big consideration to realize is in Alaska ALL ports are worthwhile and interesting, unlike Caribbean sailings- which seem to always include an undesirable port for me. :) There are endless things to see and do, always something new to explore and experience even after many trips. :)

Seward wasn't included on the list because for most it is not a "port of call" but rather an embarkation/debarkation port for several cruise lines or a stop on a few itineraries (NCL) that are 10-11 days or on smaller ships.

There isn't a "bad" port of call in Alaska IMHO.. I like Wrangell, Valdez, some of the more obscure and now not visited ports.. This was meant to include only the four ports that most cruise lines visit.

being able to drive into the yukon was INCREDIBLE. we only went to carcross last time but hope to make it to whitehorse this time. got a little squeamish with our creaky independent rent-a-car but I have already booked one from Avis for THIS time around :) oh, also, we enjoyed the laundromat (shoutout to Budget Queen for the tip, big savings over onboard laundry) ...

TR

Mercury AK 8/26/2005

Millennium EC 12/2004, Mercury CA-MX 4/2004, Infinity AK 8/2003, Century WC 3/2003, Century EC 9/2002

Seward wasn't included on the list because for most it is not a "port of call" but rather an embarkation/debarkation port for several cruise lines or a stop on a few itineraries (NCL) that are 10-11 days or on smaller ships.

There isn't a "bad" port of call in Alaska IMHO.. I like Wrangell, Valdez, some of the more obscure and now not visited ports.. This was meant to include only the four ports that most cruise lines visit.

My point exactly, it shouldn't be an area to pass through. Take advantage of being there, just EXCELLENT touring opportunities. I didn't "vote", only offering an opinion that some may want to consider.

But, we plan to go back to Alaska someday. We loved Sitka, perhaps because it wasn't so crowded and touristy as the other ports we visited. Perhaps because the weather was so incredibly beautiful that day. We have the prettiest pictures from Sitka.

That's my vote for now, it may change in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't choose- what is just wonderful about Alaska sailing is that ALL ports are vastly different, and worthwhile (unlike the Caribbean where there are certainly some undesirable ports. :( ) So see and do them all. I always find new things to do and also enjoy many repeats. :)

Archived