The Breakers - Newport

Jfultz81

Is The Breakers worth $18 per person? We love historical houses, but my in-laws are travelling with us aren't as big of fans. Since they'll be joining us, I don't want to force them into spending almost $40 if they won't enjoy it, at least to some degree.

Also, does anyone know if they accept credit cards for the tickets when you get there? Is advance ordering a better idea (we're only 2 weeks away, however!)?

Thanks!

I would say that yes, it is worth $18 to tour the Breakers. Over the years, I have toured the Breakers 4 times, including once when it was decorated for Christmas :).

Why don't you offer to pay for the out-laws tickets, then they really can not complain. Anyway, what will they do if you take the tour and they don't?

I would think you should order the tickets by phone: from the mansions FAQs:

Q: Do I have to purchase my tickets in advance?

A: Tickets are available for purchase online, or by phone at (401) 847-1000, ext 102. However, it is not necessary to purchase tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased on site at any of the houses.

This way you can determine the turn around time and whether credit cards are accepted which I believe they are.

I'm assuming you are doing this tour on your own and not by cruise ship excursion; you've done your homework on getting around Newport by searching Cruise Critic.

Any questions?

Is The Breakers worth $18 per person? We love historical houses, but my in-laws are travelling with us aren't as big of fans. Since they'll be joining us, I don't want to force them into spending almost $40 if they won't enjoy it, at least to some degree.

Also, does anyone know if they accept credit cards for the tickets when you get there? Is advance ordering a better idea (we're only 2 weeks away, however!)?

Thanks!

I believe the Breakers is worth the $18 as Historical Houses in the US go it's the quintessential Gilded Age estate.

I would say that yes, it is worth $18 to tour the Breakers. Over the years, I have toured the Breakers 4 times, including once when it was decorated for Christmas :).

Why don't you offer to pay for the out-laws tickets, then they really can not complain. Anyway, what will they do if you take the tour and they don't?

I would think you should order the tickets by phone: from the mansions FAQs:

Q: Do I have to purchase my tickets in advance?

A: Tickets are available for purchase online, or by phone at (401) 847-1000, ext 102. However, it is not necessary to purchase tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased on site at any of the houses.

This way you can determine the turn around time and whether credit cards are accepted which I believe they are.

I'm assuming you are doing this tour on your own and not by cruise ship excursion; you've done your homework on getting around Newport by searching Cruise Critic.

Any questions?

Exactly how far from the cruise ship is The Breakers -- is it scooterable with another person walking - under 1 1/2 miles or so? And Celebrity says that it is not wheelchair accessible as their elevator is not ADA compliant (can't be bothered supplying accessible transport is more like it) , yet when I call The Breakers they say it is accessible. Any clues? Thanks.:)

We did the tour two years ago and loved it. It is not walkable at all so you should take the ship tour in my opinion. Best value plus you will get a tour of the area. Accessibility, I can't recall. You might want to call them at the Breakers to get the particulars.

From the FAQs: Q: Are the mansions wheelchair accessible?

A: The Breakers and Rosecliff are fully wheelchair accessible. Marble Houseand The Elms are partially wheelchair accessible. For detailed information about access for visitors with special needs, please call (401) 847-1000.

I understand the difference between a scooter and a wheelchair, but I would say yes it is accessible for the scooter.

The distance from the tender dock to the Breakers is approximately 2.2 miles and part way uphill. There are sidewalks the entire distance.

I believe the Breakers has an elevator.

I do agree with the previous poster that a phone call is in order.

From the FAQs: Q: Are the mansions wheelchair accessible?

A: The Breakers and Rosecliff are fully wheelchair accessible. Marble Houseand The Elms are partially wheelchair accessible. For detailed information about access for visitors with special needs, please call (401) 847-1000.

I understand the difference between a scooter and a wheelchair, but I would say yes it is accessible for the scooter.

The distance from the tender dock to the Breakers is approximately 2.2 miles and part way uphill. There are sidewalks the entire distance.

I believe the Breakers has an elevator.

I do agree with the previous poster that a phone call is in order.

I have called and yes- it is accessible -- however Celebrity says it's NOT. Thus, they refuse to supply transportation. Like I said, it's a can't be bothered answer. Don't know if they'll even allow the scooter on the tender so can't make a fuss with them. Figured we'd try again with Excursion Dept. on the ship. Thanks for info. Vicki:)

The Breakers is one of a kind and very interesting. We thoughly enjoyed our tour. Also visited 2 other mansions. If I were to do only one, Breakers would be my choice. Worth the cost in my opinion.

Dotty

The Breakers is truly something to see as is any mansion in Newport. It is very easy to access public transportation in Newport with all or most of the busses/ trollys being handicapped accessable. Also taxis are available and it would only be about 10- 12 $ to get to the mansions from where you are let off.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailbadthesinner,

You mentioned that you could buy tickets at each Mansion. We are planning on doing The Breakers and one more mansion. I know they sell a combined ticket for Breakers plus one, can they be purchased at the mansion? I know the Vistors center can get very crowded, but I do not want to purchase tickets in advance. Also we are very interested in the boat bulding school, we will be in Newport on Saturday. After checking the web site, it may not have tours on Sat. is this true?

• 2 weeks later...

Do the tour. Buy your tickets in advance. I have personally experienced a sell out or a long wait (you might miss the boat) to get in. It is all an inside tour. So rain won't ruin any part of it. Did a two house tour and loved them both. what a way to live!

I went on line to the Newport mansions website, because it was previously said that they could "sell-out", but there inot anyway that I can see that tickets are purchased for a specific day. Am I missing something on their website? Going to be in Newport on Saturday, October 3.

Archived