Zhujiajiao, China

Mimg Pao

Has anyone visited the above river town. It is approximately one hour from Shanghai and is over 1,000 years old.

We are considering taking the subway to the Shanghai Stadium Terminal and then taking a bus. It helps that dh speaks Mandarin.

We will be in Shanghai in December prior to boarding the Ocean Princess on Dec. 18, and thought this would be a great day trip. Any advice?

I was there 5 years ago and last year too. It's getting more touristy...but still a great place for photos. The bridges are beautiful. It's my understanding that the people are subsidiized to live in an old-fashioned way so you do get the 1000 year old atmosphere. What I noticed more this last time was how built up the area around the town had become.

Many tour buses go to this spot.

Take your time to go down the side streets...you can still pick up the odd bargain but I found Shanghai better.

Has anyone visited the above river town. It is approximately one hour from Shanghai and is over 1,000 years old.

We are considering taking the subway to the Shanghai Stadium Terminal and then taking a bus. It helps that dh speaks Mandarin.

We will be in Shanghai in December prior to boarding the Ocean Princess on Dec. 18, and thought this would be a great day trip. Any advice?

If you have a few days and have seen all there is in downtown its well worth it. There is a big tour bus parking lot at the entrance, tells you its a place lots of tourists go or they plan to come. I can still remember the big KFC there.

They have lots of narrow streets, waterways that are worthy of good pictures. Lots of neat stores and eating establishments.

I can see spending a couple hours there, but not a whole day. So only worth it if you have exhausted the big attractions IMHO.

If you have a few days and have seen all there is in downtown its well worth it. There is a big tour bus parking lot at the entrance, tells you its a place lots of tourists go or they plan to come. I can still remember the big KFC there.

They have lots of narrow streets, waterways that are worthy of good pictures. Lots of neat stores and eating establishments.

I can see spending a couple hours there, but not a whole day. So only worth it if you have exhausted the big attractions IMHO.

Thanks Comoxvalley and Chipmaster

We have seen all the major tourist attractions so are now trying to visit some of the beaten path areas. Have either of you visited the restored Jewish Ghetto - it is also on our list.

Hi!

I'm just sorting out pictures from our April China trip & cruise & see

that that was the water town we went to. We went with 5 others on tour & our guide suggested taking the boat ride down the canal so we did & really enjoyed it. DH & I walked along the streets, watching men fish, people doing laundry etc. They had some reasonably priced souvenirs there and yes, there was a KFC, our meeting place!:D

Enjoy!

~Jo~ :)

Hi!

I'm just sorting out pictures from our April China trip & cruise & see

that that was the water town we went to. We went with 5 others on tour & our guide suggested taking the boat ride down the canal so we did & really enjoyed it. DH & I walked along the streets, watching men fish, people doing laundry etc. They had some reasonably priced souvenirs there and yes, there was a KFC, our meeting place!:D

Enjoy!

Hi Retitring Soon

Any chance you can post the pics, would love to see them.

Also, did you do a ship excursion or hire a local guide and how long was the tour? DH and I plan to do it by ourselves using local transportation.

Thanks

Princess Elite Passenger

Hi Mimg Pao,

I have never posted a photo but will try.

We actually were on a land tour before our Shanghai to Singapore cruise.

The boat ride was about 20 minutes then we walked around for about an hour or so. After we left we went for lunch.

After lunch we went to the Shanghai Museum which was pretty interesting & modern.

Hope this helps.

~Jo~:)

ps I've been trying for a while & no luck. I'll have to find out how to do it but in case I can't maybe you could Google it.

Hi! I'm going to try one picture again. If it doesn't work I'll put some on my

flicker site & post the link!Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.2 - China trip 342.jpg

Okay I'll have to put them on flicker!

Good morning Retiring Soon

Thanks so much for all your efforts. Your picture of the river winding through the town reminds me of our first trip to China in 1989. We boated through the "grand" canal for a short distance visiting towns along the way such as Wuxi, etc. Really interesting to see the people alongside the banks.

Good evening, Mimg Pao,

You're welcome. I decided not to post my pix on Flickr as I found something better.

If you Google "Chinese Water Towns" you'll find a couple of interesting

threads. One gives a detailed description of places in the town & another has 20+ pictures, much better than my couple of pictures would be. I wish we had had more time there as it was quite interesting.

This was our one & only trip to Asia as that non stop flight from Hong Kong to Toronto was so long and tiring.

Chipmaster... you're photos are amazing! Thank you. We'll be visiting Zhujiajiao next April 2010 and I fully intend to take as many photos as you did. Do you use PhotoShop? I love making some of my photos black & white and sepia.

Chipmaster... you're photos are amazing! Thank you. We'll be visiting Zhujiajiao next April 2010 and I fully intend to take as many photos as you did. Do you use PhotoShop? I love making some of my photos black & white and sepia.

THanks but not my fotos:o What a posted was a collection of fotos from lots of Flickr photographers tagged from Zhujijao. I'm less a scenry shooter and more a people shooter myself. :D

Archived