Talk to me about Villefranche

Screwbit

After dragging ourselves (happily, I'm sure) around Rome and Florence, it's our intention to spend a half-day ashore just relaxing, with light sighteeing, in Villefranche. No Nice, no Monaco, just a quiet little fishing port. I'm looking for a couple of must -see or do's for Villefranche that don't require leaving town. Plan to tender over in the morning, and head back to the ship after lunch. Any suggestions for not-to-miss cafes would be appreciated,too. Thanks,all.

Okay, so I was there 10 years ago on my first cruise but I absolutely believed it was the most beautiful town I had seen at that point and after considerable travel, I have yet to see a town that compares, well, maybe one of the Cinque-Terre towns. The view coming into port is breath-taking-houses are painted brillaint colors, gorgeous! It's hilly and very pretty. This town was featured in the 50's(early 60's?)Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr movie 'An Affair to Remember'. For younger people, this movie was the inspiration for 'Sleepless in Seattle.':o

Anyway, my husband and I spent the day walking all over the town-we started by heading up to the highest point we could reach, could not say what it's called but just look up and keep walking! From this point, we could view planes flying into Nice-very picturesque!:)

If you do this walk, wear very comfortable shoes.

Check out the cafes, expensive and chic but worth it for people-watching!

Villefranche is in France. Go over to that board to get some ideas. I was there last fall and spent two wonderful hours at the Villa Ephrussi which is a quick (15 minute?) bus ride from the center of Villefranche. You will see magical gardens with choreographed musical fountains. One of the recent threads is devoted to the Villa. Search the France thread and you will find the thread and photos. You can take an absolutely perfect photo of your ship in the harbor from the Villa.

I recommend just walking around. That is what we did, and spent some time just chillin' on the beach. It is beautiful! I'm attaching some pics so you could get an idea of how pretty a port it is.

sorry - can't recommend any cafes or restaurants because we did not have lunch there.

To get some more ideas on what to do, here's a website you can browse (in addition to cruise critic and trip advisor): http://www.francethisway.com/places/villefranche-sur-mer.php

IMG_1178.jpg.7974cc5d36f1af477247a24a2f7b60ee.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg.0a4801e38f99559191bbaaafca6d0ecc.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg.9533a95dc751a81b6d1772794b46bea3.jpg

After dragging ourselves (happily, I'm sure) around Rome and Florence, it's our intention to spend a half-day ashore just relaxing, with light sighteeing, in Villefranche. No Nice, no Monaco, just a quiet little fishing port. I'm looking for a couple of must -see or do's for Villefranche that don't require leaving town. Plan to tender over in the morning, and head back to the ship after lunch. Any suggestions for not-to-miss cafes would be appreciated,too. Thanks,all.

Villefranche is not a quiet little fishing port. It might be small, but it isstill considered the playground of the rich and famous. Nice little beach there also, but remember the beaches on the French Riviera have rocks, not sand.

In villefranche, here's what are in my notes for my upcoming Oct visit...

a. La Citadelle & its gardens

b. Rue Obscure (Dark Street)

c. Eglise St Michel (St Michael Church)

d. Chapelle St. Pierre (St Peter Chapel)

e. Tour the soap factory for free

f. Enjoy the beach (right from the tender port –follow the ocean into the bay)

If you're lucky enough to be there on a Sunday, there is a small flea market just west of the Hotel Welcome. There are a few cafes on the elevated plaza where it is held, with a view of the Med, and more cafes on the beach front street. Can't comment on food, we didn't eat in Villefranche.

Did it last Sunday. Don't get the attraction of Monte Carlo so stayed in the town. Small beach thats very pretty with big grainy sand and some nice rocks to jump off. A lovely antiques market along the harbour and some wonderful climbs round pretty side streets.

Food is pricey but what you expect. Has a nice feel - not over run with tourists considering.

Obviously as I had a small boy with me I stayed on the beach mostly but I loved it there.

Did it last Sunday. Don't get the attraction of Monte Carlo so stayed in the town. Small beach thats very pretty with big grainy sand and some nice rocks to jump off. A lovely antiques market along the harbour and some wonderful climbs round pretty side streets.

Food is pricey but what you expect. Has a nice feel - not over run with tourists considering.

Obviously as I had a small boy with me I stayed on the beach mostly but I loved it there.

Maime? You were just there!? How was the weather? A Skirt & Top OK or too hot?

Any suggestions on clothes?

Thanks.

Packing for a European Cruise is so different than the Caribbean!

Hi. It was hot down by the harbour, full sun probably 28 - 30C (high 80'sF) but you get a breeze higher up apparently . I asked because some people took out bikes and I couldn't imagine how hot that would be but they said it was fine.

Everyone looks quite classy though, light summer skirt and top would be great. It's all quite classic there - tight skirts/shorts, flippy dresses and flip flops with bling all seemed popular with the locals. Theres lots of nice floaty tops around too. I brought a couple in Corsica and Italy as they had a better choice than in England. They worked as pulls on by the pool and I could dress them up for going out. Have to say they don't look the same in the grey British summer. Need another holiday..

Archived