Some HAL newbie questions

elycelynne

These are of a pretty general nature, so they hopefully won't be too hard to answer:

1. If I book a shore excursion online and then decide to cancel it and choose an alternate one, does HAL issue a refund for the first and a new charge for the other, or do they just charge or credit my Visa card with any price difference between the two?

2. Regarding Half Moon Cay -- First, the shore excursion description for the AquaTrax trips says that a valid driver's license is required. I'm one of those rare people who doesn't drive (no judgments, please) and thus has no license, but I'm WELL over the age of 16. Does HAL hold firm with this requirement? I can't imagine that one would really need to pass a "rules of the road" written test or a driving test in order to be able to operate one of these vehicles in a single-file line. Second, other than duration is there any difference between the Glass-Bottom Boat cruise and the Eco Lagoon cruise? The descriptions looked pretty similar. Finally, are the clamshells portable, or are they secured to pre-assigned spots?

3. Regarding debarkation -- My flight from FLL is at 11:35. It appears that self-debarkation might get me to the airport a bit too early. After self-debarkation, what's usually the earliest time for organized (?) debarkation? Also, is there a dedicated area on the ship for online check-in and printing of boarding passes, or do I have to use the computer center and pay the per-minute fee?

Thanks in advance. It's been a very long time since I've last cruised and I'm sure I've forgotten more than I remember. And what I do remember is probably all different by now! :D

These are of a pretty general nature, so they hopefully won't be too hard to answer:

1. If I book a shore excursion online and then decide to cancel it and choose an alternate one, does HAL issue a refund for the first and a new charge for the other, or do they just charge or credit my Visa card with any price difference between the two?You have up until 10 days before sailing to cancel a cruise and book a new one. They will cancel the old one -- credit your credit card for that excursion and then charge you for the new selected excursion. If you change your mind once on the ship -- you can cancel an excursion -with no penality. After the first day there is a 10% penality. And if you don't make the cancelation deadline date -- you lose all your money. This is listed on the shore excursion papers that will be in your cabin. If you do cancel a tour once on the ship -- the credit will be added to your shipboard account (not your credit card).

2. Regarding Half Moon Cay -- First, the shore excursion description for the AquaTrax trips says that a valid driver's license is required. I'm one of those rare people who doesn't drive (no judgments, please) and thus has no license, but I'm WELL over the age of 16. Does HAL hold firm with this requirement? I can't imagine that one would really need to pass a "rules of the road" written test or a driving test in order to be able to operate one of these vehicles in a single-file line. Second, other than duration is there any difference between the Glass-Bottom Boat cruise and the Eco Lagoon cruise? The descriptions looked pretty similar. Finally, are the clamshells portable, or are they secured to pre-assigned spots? Sorry I can't answer this one.

3. Regarding debarkation -- My flight from FLL is at 11:35. It appears that self-debarkation might get me to the airport a bit too early. After self-debarkation, what's usually the earliest time for organized (?) debarkation? Also, is there a dedicated area on the ship for online check-in and printing of boarding passes, or do I have to use the computer center and pay the per-minute fee? If all has gone well -- the ship arrives back in Ft lauderdale on time -- and the ship is cleared on time -- usually self-disembarkation will begin around 7:30 - 8 AM. Shortly after that disembarkation will begin for the other passengers -- all depends on what time you are assigned as to what information you fill out concerning flight times on a form that you will get at the beginning of the cruise. There are plenty of taxis at the pier and it is just a 10 - 15 minute ride to the airport.

Thanks in advance. It's been a very long time since I've last cruised and I'm sure I've forgotten more than I remember. And what I do remember is probably all different by now! :D

If you have any other questions -- just ask.

1. If I book a shore excursion online and then decide to cancel it and choose an alternate one, does HAL issue a refund for the first and a new charge for the other, or do they just charge or credit my Visa card with any price difference between the two?

In my experience, HAL will credit your card the amount for the cancelled excursion, then charge your card the amount for the new selection. They are handled as two separate transactions.It's done automatically when you make online reservations. Does that make sense?

2. Regarding Half Moon Cay -- First, the shore excursion description for the AquaTrax trips says that a valid driver's license is required. I'm one of those rare people who doesn't drive (no judgments, please) and thus has no license, but I'm WELL over the age of 16. Does HAL hold firm with this requirement? I can't imagine that one would really need to pass a "rules of the road" written test or a driving test in order to be able to operate one of these vehicles in a single-file line. Second, other than duration is there any difference between the Glass-Bottom Boat cruise and the Eco Lagoon cruise? The descriptions looked pretty similar. Finally, are the clamshells portable, or are they secured to pre-assigned spots?

Can't answer your first or second questions, sorry; you may need to call HAL's excursion desk for an answer: 1-888-425-9376. The clamshells are portable.

3. Regarding debarkation -- My flight from FLL is at 11:35. It appears that self-debarkation might get me to the airport a bit too early. After self-debarkation, what's usually the earliest time for organized (?) debarkation? Also, is there a dedicated area on the ship for online check-in and printing of boarding passes, or do I have to use the computer center and pay the per-minute fee?

Around 8 am for the first group. There is no dedicated area for online check-in and boarding pass printing. You have to do it at the computer center.

Hope this is helpful for you. Krazy Kruizers answered you in far more detail, as she is a very experienced cruiser, but anyway, there's my two cents, for what it's worth.:)

Archived