Holland America or Costa???????

scomar

If any of you have tried both Holland America Line (HAL) and Costa Cruise Line (CCL) can you help us out? We have been on 2 cruise both with Carnival. We have found a 7 day Eastern Caribbean with a good price for both HAL and CCL. Which one do you like better? Any pirticular reason as to why you like one better then the other? From the things I have seen on them both it looks like HAL has the edge. I know from past experience on these boards that you will have the answers I'm looking for.

Thanks so much in advance.

Scomar

Costa is considered a bargain brand mass market line and HAL is considered a more upscale line. Since you asked, I've been on both and would not go back on Costa even if it were free. Surly service and pretty bad food. My cousins just got back from a Costa cruise. They called and said they were totally angry with themselves for not listening to my suggestion they not cruise Costa. The constant announcements in about 5 languages, the sub par food and poor service is what they specifically mentioned. HAL does tend to attract an older demographic. If you have kids, HAL isn't known for their kid's club.

We have done both, and had a great time on both. HAL is an older group. But, Costa has more Europeans on it in the Caribbean. I thought Costa was a lot different: More kids, More families, Everything was repeated in 5 different languages, Sorry to say, people tended to push their way into lines. and a few other things.

I would cruise Costa again if given the chance. But then again, I would cruise HAL again too.

(Check and see if Costa still does TOGA night the last night, only in the Caribbean. We had a ball. I made our TOGAs before we left home.)

Another vote for HAL (and I'm only 40)! Costa was the worst cruise experience I've ever had. While the ports and excursions were great, the food was very mediocre, the service sub-par and the announcements downright annoying after a couple days!

Costa is well known for it's Italian passengers who suddenly can't understand English when they're asked to follow the rules (put out their cigarette, get the kids out of the adult pool, step into the locker room to change into the speedo...).

HAL is a lot calmer, and not as elderly as it's reputation would indicate, especially on shorter cruises.

J

For me HAL was a bit too stuffy... Costa is just Carnival with a yellow logo instead of red.

For a Caribbean mainstream line I much prefer Royal Caribbean, in particular the Voyager and Freedom class ships. Yes they tend to cost a little bit more, but IMO it's well worth it!

Been on both, enjoyed both but HAL is a little more "polished" when it comes to staff and sevice and the fit and finish of the ship itself, In either case, someone ELSE is making your bed, cleaning your bathroom and preparing your meals while you can sit in the sunshine by the pool with some foo-foo-shi-shi drink with a little pink umbrella in it and you're NOT at work! Works for me!

We enjoyed our HAL Alaska cruise in June. The food, service, cabins etc. were very good. That said, if you don't mind a more sedate cruise, HAL is great. If you're looking for a lot of activities and entertainment, probably not the way to go. Have you looked at RCCL? They have some wonderful ships with good itineraries and loads of stuff to keep you occupied......... We've had some terrific cruises on RCCL.

One time we looked into a Costa cruise -- but when we studied the cabins -- we discovered that Costa's cabin were smaller than HAL's. JMO -- but that is a concern for us.

My parents (loyal HAL and Princess cruisers normally) have taken 2 Costa cruises. They reported back that the cabins were EXTREMELY small. The decor of the public areas was nice; they didn't mention the food at all but then they aren't really foodies.

"Bingo, bingo, bingo" in 5 languages 50 times a day. Pushy passengers who always were more important than anyone else (ie: me) Loud, loud, loud - everything was loud on Costa. Whereas on Hal things were peaceful and my teens loved Club Hal - they still talk about it. The rooms are bigger. Costa still had the big midnight buffets when were there 8 years ago but for my money I would always choose Hal or Princess or NCL. ( NLC had happier staff but that's not your question I guess)

I have sailed both Costa and HAL. It is no contest--HAL wins hands down! My HAL experience was a 14 day cruise with my mom so I didn't pay attention to the kid experience. HAL had wonderful service and food. They also had the anytime dining which I had never done before and really enjoyed.

Costa has much different food-more European and not to our liking. You can't beat the price and some of the itineraries are wonderful! I asked the family after we got home and they all agree they wouldn't sail with Costa again at any price.:(

I agree with the above poster when I say that RCCL has been our favorite line for the family to have everything to suit all ages. That being said, I put a deposit down for HAL for DH and I for our 25th next year.

Given the fact that I was on Costa as a travel agent weekend event, and the food was awful, then 4 months later my daughter went on a different Costa cruise for a week and also had terrible food, she is not a picky eater at all, and said the best meal of entire cruise was a Margaritaville, I would not spend my money there.

Every Holland America ship (6) I have been on was awesome, including the food.

I'll join the majority and say go with the HAL cruise. We did one Costa cruise a couple of years ago because we got a great price on our first balcony cabin on a then new ship the Atlantica. The cruise wasn't a disaster but it wasn't an outstanding success either. We were expecting a lot of good Italian food and we got almost none. We later found out when Costa cruises in the Caribbean they use the same suppliers and have very similar menus to Carnival ships.

We have over 100 days on HAL and have never so far been disappointed in a HAL cruise. The service is outstanding, the food is good and although the passenger mix will lean toward a older crowd they will be a pleasant and polite group. HAL has some of the larger cabins among the mass cruise lines and many cabins offer a bathtub and bigger bathroom than many other cruise lines.

Have a great next cruise on HAL.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived