Old Noordam

wines60

Does anyone have a link for a deck plan for the old Noordam? Just would like to revive old memories. She was the first HAL ship we sailed aboard, and it was to celebrate my 50th birthday, (that was 20 years ago!). :eek:

Assuming you are referring to the Noordam III, she was purchased by Thomson Vacations and renamed the Thomson Celebration. I still miss the Piet Hein lounge ;-) Sounds much better than the Ocean Bar imho.

Its current deckplans are here: http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/updateShipAndSeasonCodeForDeckPlansPopup.do?shipCode=150003&requestOrigin=booking

Scott.

Thanks Scott for your quick reply. I don't think this is the one we sailed on. I remember that we were on the starboard side, Promenade Deck. Our cabin was midship and sort of "wrapped around" the elevator. We did not experience any noise with that location, and because of the configuration our cabin seemed to have a bit more room than the occupied by the other couple who were travelling with us, and who were across on the port side and a tiny bit forward of our location. If is helps this was in 1989.

Thanks Scott for your quick reply. I don't think this is the one we sailed on. I remember that we were on the starboard side, Promenade Deck. Our cabin was midship and sort of "wrapped around" the elevator. We did not experience any noise with that location, and because of the configuration our cabin seemed to have a bit more room than the occupied by the other couple who were travelling with us, and who were across on the port side and a tiny bit forward of our location. If is helps this was in 1989.

Look for cabin 67 on Navigation deck or 129 on Boat deck ... seem familiar? Scott.

Look for cabin 67 on Navigation deck or 129 on Boat deck ... seem familiar? Scott.

Almost but not quite. I know for sure that we were on the Promenade Deck because the other couple would be sitting directly outside of our window each morning waiting for us to get up!. :p (Did I mention the other couple were my in-laws?) And I remember that the entrance to our cabin was directly from the main hallway, not in an alcove as these show. Please keep trying, maybe it was some other ship, Noordam II or so? Thanks so much for you help. Marion

Marion, I am pretty sure it wasn't Noordam II, or you might be fibbing to us about your age!! :-) As for your cabin, try Upper Promenade deck, 218. Final answer. :-) Anyone else want to join in "Find Marion's cabin?" Teehee!

noordam2.jpg

cho103de.jpg

Scott.

Scott, I believe you might have it right!! I could have sworn we were in the other side, but everything else fits.

Thanks so much for you interest and your deligence! ;)

I can always count on this board for good, friendly inpuat!!

PS. I'm 70 now, so I guess my memory isn't what it used to be!!

Scott, I believe you might have it right!! I could have sworn we were in the other side, but everything else fits.

Thanks so much for you interest and your diligence! ;)

Au plaisir ... I really fell in love with cruising on the 'old' Noordam. Great classic styled ship with an excellent crew. And no worries about your memory, ma'am. You still have your looks! :D

Scott.

Merci, you "silver tounged devil"! Agreed, the "old" Noordam was an elegant lady. Did you say it is still in service? Maybe ---- for old times sake? Thanks again. Marion

Teehee ... yes, she is sailing as the Thomson Celebration currently alternating Adriatic and Aegean itineraries this month. http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cruise/initiateAvailabilitySearch.do

Scott.

We also sailed on the Noordam III, An Alaska cruise/tour May 28 through June 10, 1989. We were on B deck, I can't find our room Number. She is still our favorite ship. It was like living in the most beautiful art museum in the world. Jane & Gary

We did nine cruises on the Noordam III and she is still our favorite ship. Crows Nest was our favorite bar - it was smaller than the current Crows Nests and it was decorated in dark wood and furniture. Loved the rooms on the sun deck and spent warm days at the Navigation Pool. We were sad to see her go.

We were on the Noordam III as well, January, 1988 in the Caribbean. Wonderful ship, we especially remember the Rosario Strings. Every night after dinner we would listen to them play. It was also the first time in my life I tasted capuchino.

The cruise started out with perfect warm weather and towards the end we hit a real bad storm and that day we didn't see many people. When we docked in Nassau the next day it was 45-50 degrees and we were freezing.

Nan

My very first cruise was on the Noordam III, Navigation deck, E050, right behind the staff room. It was much bigger than it looks, tons of floor space and storage. Ahhhh, what a great trip that was, the Baltic. What a way to start cruising....

It took a bit of spelunking, but here are the old deck plans of Noordam III whilst still under the HAL flag: http://www.worldwidevacations.com/cruises/holland/cho103da.htm

Scott.

Oh my gosh! What memories you brought back. The Noordam III was our first cruise back in 1987. My husband surprised me with this cruise and booked an M category on the C deck. (Check the location.....yuck....an inside in the bow). We were very young and inexperienced. And no, it did not bother me that I was younger than the majority of the passengers. I also remember being very seasick for the first few days but enjoying every minute at the same time. We were totally hooked on HAL and cruising. We didn't go on another cruise for quite a few years, due to having young children, but HAL didn't disappoint....our next cruise on the Veendam in 1999 was spectacular....and each cruise we have taken thereafter.

We were on the (current) Noordam's 10-day 7/28 Med cruise. On the other side of the pier in Corfu was the Thompson Celebration. Noordam - Noordam!

Interestingly, our captain and current captain of Noordam 2006, Hans Mateboer, was involved in the building of the previous Noordam.

• 2 weeks later...

Ship+Photo+NOORDAM.jpg

m/s Noordam III (1984-present) Built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique, St. Nazaire, France and delivered to Holland America Line on 7 April 1984, registered in Sint Maarten, the Netherlands Antilles. She was the third ship in HAL's long history to bear the name Noordam and was the first built for luxury cruise service for the line. She was designed in the Netherlands but built in France.

Her name, Noordam, refers to the compass heading "North" as "Noord" in Dutch stands for "North". The first HAL ship with the name Noordam, built by Harland & Wolff Shipyard in Belfast, Northern Ireland, was launched in 1902 and served the line until 1928. The second "Noordam" was launched from the P. Smit Jr.Machinefabriek & Shipyard in Rotterdam and served the line between 1938 and 1963.

After a naming ceremony by her godmother, Mrs. van der Vorm-van der Wall Bake, daughter of former HAL president and CEO Nico van der Wallon 7 April 1984, she set off the next day on her maiden voyage from Le Havre, France to Tampa, Fl, via Horta, Azores and Bermuda. From Tampa, she would operate on Caribbean cruises in the winter season.

noordam_1984_3.jpg

Noordam was identical to her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam III, but with art and decor in a Dutch East Indies theme. She would become a very popular ship with passengers as she cruised, primarily in the Caribbean in the winter and in Alaska in the summer. She made her final cruise for HAL from Barcelona, Spain to Lisbon, Portugal on 12 November 2004.

noordam_1984_4.jpg

On 30 November 2004, the ship was acquired by Cyprus-based Louis Cruise Lines and was immediately placed on a long-term charter to British tour operator Thomson Cruises who renamed her Thomson Celebration. She is currently operating for them on low-price cruises around Europe.

Ship+Photo+Thomson+Celebration.jpg

Ship+Photo+THOMSON+CELEBRATION.jpg

Thankx for bringing back memmories. DW and I did our honeymoon on her our first time to Alaska. We sailed once more on her when we returned to Alaska to see what we had missed the first time. We also sailed on her sister ship the Nieuw Amsterdam. She too was a beautiful ship. Colakid.

Archived