Question about Panama Canal

bobbie_81348

Do the ships that do the round trip from Ft. Lauderdale (I believe the Island does) go into the canal and through the locks or do they stop before the canal and you have to do a shore excursion to experience the canal? Appreciate any help. Really trying to find a ship that goes into and turns around and comes back out of the canal. Thanks

They go through one set of locks and into Gatun Lake, where they drop off passengers for excursions. There are two excursions which will take you all the way through the Canal -- one is by small boat (very high marks from most people) and the other is via railway. Meanwhile the ship turns around and heads out -- tours rejoin it afterwards (I forget where exactly, but it's pretty obvious if you look at one of the round-trip itineraries). Hope this helps!

If the ship DOES go into the canal, there's really no reason to take an excursion. You will see (and learn) all you would ever want to know about the canal, it's history, it's operation.....there's a canal navigator onboard for the passage that will give running commentary.

All of the excursions are VERY long and expensive...and it's great being on the ship when most of the passengers get off in Lake Gatun! Those passengers will re-board when the ship gets to the pier outside of the canal later in the day. There is shopping there and you can get off the ship and wander the "flea market" for awhile. You aren't allowed to venture off on your own at this stop! (Cristobel Pier, I think!)

I believe that it is RCCL that will stop doing partial transits. Their ships will dock at Cristobal and if you want to see the Canal, you'll have to go on an excursion.

To the OP, IMHO, if this is your first trip to the Canal, then by all means take an excursion to visit the Pacific side of the Canal. It is well worth the time and money. Once you're a Canal veteran, then it is definitely nice to remain on the ship for the trip back out the Gatun Locks. The ship is virtually deserted and you'll have no problem getting a good spot to sightsee...

Guest sizzzlin sailor

There are both! However, most coming from Florida go through one set of locks and then cruise around in Gatun Lake for a time and then go through the locks a second time.

We never regretted our choice, the "all the way through" version, just for the fun and, frankly, rather astounding experience of being in the Atlantic Ocean in the morning and in the Pacific Ocean well before dark the same day. Plus, the stops on the Pacific side are mostly excellent and, no surprise, quite different from what is encountered in the Caribbean.

Here's the most accurate tip we got from folks who had done this cruise before we did: "It's really gonna be hot during the canal passage." Whew! Was it EVER hot! Not just hot, but humidity and dewpoints that were off the charts. Of course the ship's AC was crankin' out the comfortable air, but the good viewing was outside

On the whole, this is a great cruise, and the Panama Canal experience is as unforgettable as it is fascinating.

Hope everything turns out great for you!

There are both! However, most coming from Florida go through one set of locks and then cruise around in Gatun Lake for a time and then go through the locks a second time.

We never regretted our choice, the "all the way through" version, just for the fun and, frankly, rather astounding experience of being in the Atlantic Ocean in the morning and in the Pacific Ocean well before dark the same day. Plus, the stops on the Pacific side are mostly excellent and, no surprise, quite different from what is encountered in the Caribbean.

Here's the most accurate tip we got from folks who had done this cruise before we did: "It's really gonna be hot during the canal passage." Whew! Was it EVER hot! Not just hot, but humidity and dewpoints that were off the charts. Of course the ship's AC was crankin' out the comfortable air, but the good viewing was outside

On the whole, this is a great cruise, and the Panama Canal experience is as unforgettable as it is fascinating.

Hope everything turns out great for you!

Thank for the great info we are looking into Panama cruise too.;)

If the ship DOES go into the canal, there's really no reason to take an excursion. You will see (and learn) all you would ever want to know about the canal, it's history, it's operation.....there's a canal navigator onboard for the passage that will give running commentary.

All of the excursions are VERY long and expensive...and it's great being on the ship when most of the passengers get off in Lake Gatun! Those passengers will re-board when the ship gets to the pier outside of the canal later in the day. There is shopping there and you can get off the ship and wander the "flea market" for awhile. You aren't allowed to venture off on your own at this stop! (Cristobel Pier, I think!)

Strongly disagree. If you do not go from Gatun Lake to the Pacific you miss the most amazing parts of the Canal, going through the Culebra Cut through the Continental Divide and under some amazing bridges.

As the above poster said... I too disagree here. We enjoyed the Panama Canal immensely from the bow of the ship (approximately four hours worth) as we traversed the locks leading to Gatun Lake. However, the real pleasure came when we took a 4 hour excursion up the Chargres River and then back to the observation deck of the Gatun Locks. It was there we got to see OUR ship (and several others) passing through on its way back to Cristobal Pier. That was an amazing perspective and added so much to the Canal experience! Wandering around a flea market at the pier would not be our idea of experiencing the Panama Canal.

I'll throw in my 2 cents and who knows, maybe get some change! The roundtrip/partial transit is an excellent choice. The beauty about this cruise if you elect to take the excursion through the Pacific Locks, it will give you a total different perspective of the Canal. First in morning you see the operation of Gatun Locks from high a top your ship. Things happen slowly and smoothly, between the size of your ship and the locks you can forget how big things really are. Then when you do your excursion you see how big the locks are and you are able to see more of the operation from another viewpoint. As others have pointed out there is a bit more to see, two locks instead of one and a very scenic part of the Canal, Gaillard (Culebra) Cut where most of the digging for the Canal took place. The only section of the Canal you will miss is the Gatun Lake portion, about 20 miles from Gatun to Gamboa. That is very scenic as well, but you will have seen the majority of the Canal. What the hey, you can still come back and do a full transit later.

Another advantage of the partial along with the Canal excursion is it will give you a chance to see some of Panama. When you are doing a full transit for the first time, I would not opt for a tour in Panama, (IMO). That's what great about the partials, you can lump a bunch into them and then you can do a full transit later. They are both unique cruises, you can do both without realy repeating yourself.

We did the Carnival Legend r/t from Ft. Lauderdale and stopped in Panama.

We did Carnival's excursion on the smaller boat and went through 3 sets of locks and then went back by bus to the ship. We went in May and it was

very very hot and humid. We enjoyed it but were a little disappointed that at the time we were at the locks we did not have any hugh ships going before us or after us. In the locks it was just the two excursion (smaller boats going through). However it was very interesting and it was a long day.

I probably would not go back and do that however I would like to go on a big cruise ship all the way through to the pacific side.:p

I'll throw in my 2 cents and who knows, maybe get some change! The roundtrip/partial transit is an excellent choice. The beauty about this cruise if you elect to take the excursion through the Pacific Locks, it will give you a total different perspective of the Canal. First in morning you see the operation of Gatun Locks from high a top your ship. Things happen slowly and smoothly, between the size of your ship and the locks you can forget how big things really are. Then when you do your excursion you see how big the locks are and you are able to see more of the operation from another viewpoint. As others have pointed out there is a bit more to see, two locks instead of one and a very scenic part of the Canal, Gaillard (Culebra) Cut where most of the digging for the Canal took place. The only section of the Canal you will miss is the Gatun Lake portion, about 20 miles from Gatun to Gamboa. That is very scenic as well, but you will have seen the majority of the Canal. What the hey, you can still come back and do a full transit later.

Another advantage of the partial along with the Canal excursion is it will give you a chance to see some of Panama. When you are doing a full transit for the first time, I would not opt for a tour in Panama, (IMO). That's what great about the partials, you can lump a bunch into them and then you can do a full transit later. They are both unique cruises, you can do both without realy repeating yourself.

I agree. We have a full transit booked for Apr. Because of the price difference on the 10 day, I asked DW if she wanted to change, offering the excursion to the Pacific as a substitute for full transit.:)

She isn't having any part of that idea.:eek:

All of the excursions are VERY long and expensive...and it's great being on the ship when most of the passengers get off in Lake Gatun!

Unfortunately, I'll have to disagree as well.

DH & I just did the "small boat to the Pacific tour" on the Island Princess and my DH who *hates* tours, says this was the best thing he's ever done! He's got some serious medical issues and it was a really long day for him - but he talks about practically daily yet. The memories it created (especially him seeing the Pacific Ocean for the first time) are absolutely priceless to me. Touching the insides of the lock walls - was worth every penny of the excursion to me.

I'd love to do this cruise again, then we would probably stay aboard for the day.

Happy Cruising! :)

We will be doing the full transit - L.A. to Ft. Lauderdale - in September on the Coral. We did this trip a few years ago on the Dawn Princess and absolutely loved it. Last time we did not do any excursions as the itinerary did not permit. We started through the canal at 5:30a.m. - went all the way through and stopped at Cristobal Pier on the Atlantic side about 4:00PM. This time however, we spend a whole day at Fuerte Amador (Pacific side - just outside of the canal). So we will be taking the small boat excursion thru the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks and then a bus back to the ship. The next day we will remain on the ship while we do the full transit of the canal. I am really glad Princess decided to add the Fuerte Amador stop to the itinerary so we can get the different perspectives of the canal crossing.

Has anyone done the train excursion? How was it?

We took the train excursion on our first partial transit waaay back in 2003. It was fun. It was quite interesting to see the Canal from the train.

As others have stated, strongly disagree with this assessment. Sounds like this poster didn't do an excursion, or get much background on the building of the canal. The locks are just part of the canal. The hardest part of building the canal was the Culebra cut--not the locks. And we enjoyed sailing under both bridges. Make sure and read "The Path Between the Seas" before sailing.

Archived