Grand Turk or Tortola?????

scomar

I am tring to decide between two cruises they both have the same port of calls except one is Grand Turk and the other is Tortola. Never been to either one. Which would be your pick? Keep in mind we love to snorkel. I posted this on the port of call forum but I get quicker replies here.

Thanks in advance.

Scomar

Grand Turk is supposed to have great snorkeling, but I like Tortola better for the Virgin Gorda Baths. Tortola just has more to do, Grand Turk had a hurricane a couple of years ago and it is still trying to recover.

I've been snorkeling near Tortola and in Providenciales in the Turks; it would be like choosing between filet mignon and lobster! I know in the Turks you can snorkel right off the shore, can do do that in Tortola?

Funny, I'm looking at very similar cruises with HAL or NCL.

I don't snorkel and I was not impressed with Grand Turk. There is a nice beach at the port-which is beautiful, but you get away from the port and the whole island is ugly and bare. It felt more like a desert than a tropical island. No beauty as you usually see on tropical islands. I am not sure what it is about this island-but they told us in a spill about the island, that nothing grows well there-and they have to import ALL of their food. (out side of seafood) That did not sound good to me at all.

I haven't been to Tortola.

Have been to both.

There is no snorkling near the pier in Tortola.

You really need to check the length of time that you are in each port.

If you have a lot of time in Tortola -- you can get a ferry and go over to the Virgin Gorda.

There is some snorkling in Tortola at Cane Beach -- haven't been out there in ahwile so don't know if it is a good area any more or not.

There is snorking near the pier in Grand Turk.

Tortola and walk five minutes up the road to Speedy's ferry and head to the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Snorkeling is very good in Devil's Bay, especially near the rocks. If you have extra time, Tortola is also a great place to hang out for a while. Grand Turk is not bad. Carnival owns the whole port and controls just about all excursions on the island. It's all pretty generic unless you're a serious diver.

We've been to both and I prefer Tortola.

Grand Turk, near where the ship docks, is a contrived tourist spot. Nothing authentic or location specific about it. It's all 'for tourists'. IMO .....

BUT, it's a very large, clean beautiful pool with loads of lounges. Over priced, watery drinks and Margaritteville is what it is! :) Beach five minute walk from the dock.

We've been to both. I wasn't that crazy about Grand Turk - admittedly, we didn't snorkel there, though. We walked over to the beach area, and while the beach was nice the sea floor was rocky and the water was loaded with seaweed. It was crowded and we had to keep guard over our beach chairs while others in our family swam.:confused: We didn't stop at Margaritaville - it was mobbed - although we took a picture outside with the parrot.:) And this was with only one ship in port. I can't imagine it with more than one. The flowrider looks like a lot of fun, though.

In Tortola, we did a catamaran sail and snorkel to Norman Island, and it was one of the best excursions we've done. There were two snorkeling stops - one offshore, and one at the beach, and the snorkeling actually was pretty good from the beach.

If we go back to Grand Turk, we'll try something else (maybe another sail and snorkel), but based on current experience I'd opt for Tortola over Grand Turk.

We have taken the snorkel tour in Tortola , it was great. Really enjoyed it. Lots of fish. We did not go on our own , we did a ships tour. well worth it. Also took us to a private beach club after the snorkel for a while , really nice. Was a catamaran with the steps up.

Cori

I have been to both and can't wait to go back to Grand Turk next winter. Your ship docks right at the beach. There is a Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville across from the ship too. It is like having a private island but no tenders needed.

Tortola is lovely too but you have to take a cab to the beach instead of walking off your ship onto the beach. Tortola has mountains too and Grand Turk is flat.

Can't go wrong either way, but I think I would prefer Grand Turk.

Archived