Vancouver (YVR) Saturday Chaos

mrmac

I am sorry I have not posted this sooner but I was just so glad to leave that stupid airport I didn't want to think about it again. We went through YVR on Saturday, June 27th after getting off a wonderful cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Maybe this has been brought up this summer but I haven't seen it. This was our third time at YVR and never have we seen such incompentency and chaos at this or any other airport. After checking in at United we were told to continue on with our luggage to the security line. We had 2 seniors over 76 with us as well as a child but no one mentioned that we were going to be in line standing, moving a bit and hauling all our luggage for the next 2 hours! We should have gotten luggage carts but had no idea how long the line was and how long it would take. So there we all were, with everyone else in the same boat, heading for security somewhere. We couldn't see it. It was too far away. After security we headed for U.S. Customs that clears you before your flight. We still had our luggage, no water and hot weather in the terminal. Same long line until finally we came to the place to put your luggage on the track and keep heading for customs. Unbelievable! Gross incompetence on the part of all involved, U.S., Canadian and airport officials. They should all be shot. Many people, of course, missed their flights but no one would help them, employees just shaking their heads and motioning ever onward. We just made ours, exhausted, and never wanting to return to Vancouver again. What a terrible end to a wonderful vacation.

Correction: My wife tells me the endless customs line came first followed by the endless security line.

I am sorry I have not posted this sooner but I was just so glad to leave that stupid airport I didn't want to think about it again. We went through YVR on Saturday, June 27th after getting off a wonderful cruise on the Sapphire Princess. Maybe this has been brought up this summer but I haven't seen it. This was our third time at YVR and never have we seen such incompentency and chaos at this or any other airport. After checking in at United we were told to continue on with our luggage to the security line. We had 2 seniors over 76 with us as well as a child but no one mentioned that we were going to be in line standing, moving a bit and hauling all our luggage for the next 2 hours! We should have gotten luggage carts but had no idea how long the line was and how long it would take. So there we all were, with everyone else in the same boat, heading for security somewhere. We couldn't see it. It was too far away. After security we headed for U.S. Customs that clears you before your flight. We still had our luggage, no water and hot weather in the terminal. Same long line until finally we came to the place to put your luggage on the track and keep heading for customs. Unbelievable! Gross incompetence on the part of all involved, U.S., Canadian and airport officials. They should all be shot. Many people, of course, missed their flights but no one would help them, employees just shaking their heads and motioning ever onward. We just made ours, exhausted, and never wanting to return to Vancouver again. What a terrible end to a wonderful vacation.

Correction: My wife tells me the endless customs line came first followed by the endless security line.

Wow! Was there any indication why everything was so slow? We flew out of YVR 8 days later on Sunday July 5 and everything moved like clockwork. We did have a long walk from the rental car drop off to the international terminal because of the mis-direction from one of the workers who sent us up the wrong elevator, but once we got a luggage cart it wasn't too bad. Alaska Airline wait--about 10 minutes. Customs--about 10 minutes. Security--about 5 minutes.

I'm glad we didn't have your experience! What a way to end a relaxing vacation!

To the OP:

As I live in Vancouver, I have gone through customs at YVR numerous times. Most of the time the wait is 5-10 minutes, the longest I have waited is about 20-25 minutes. I am sorry for your bad experience, and the frustrating end to your lovely cruise.

The same situation happened to my mother and I at Miami airport a few years ago. Never flew back there since - will only fly into FLL now. Philly is another airport I avoid. I do love Detroit, Atlanta and Fort Myers airports. And the men at Anchorage airport - eye candy.

I've had good and bad experiences in Vancouver airport. The worst came first, so I was pleasantly surprised when the other times were easy and quick.

Heathrow Airport in London has been my worst airport experience ever. We had a three hour nightmare while waiting in line after a wonderful 12 night cruise. The economy class plane trip back to Chicago seemed pleasant after that ordeal. Still, I would do it again.

Flying out of Acapulco is a close second. Unless the airport has undergone major changes since 2000, I will be avoiding that airport. It was a horrible way to end a cruise. There were different problems with my ticket so I ended up in first class on the second leg of my return flight. The 10 night Panama cruise was amazing, but I will make sure when I do it again, I'll end up on the west coast of the US.

Unfortunately travel is not always a piece of cake and it sounds like the OP encountered a difficult situation. Those things happen & it sounds like it will probably be one of those stories that will be told over and over, rather than a good one.

Saying that the officials should all be shot is a bit dramatic though.

Wow.

I don't think everyone at YVR should be shot - that might be a little drastic - but I will say that flying to the US from YVR is a far different experience than flying international or domestically in Canada.

The last two times I've flown to the US, things have run like clockwork. The first time I went to San Francisco, it was a disaster from start to finish. I arrived 3 hours before my 6am flight and barely made it because US Customs officials were 30 minutes late showing up.

We came back from London on Wednesday. I was prepared for Heathrow T3 to be a gong-show, but we breezed in - no long waits at security, no long queues at customs. My parents were awestruck - two years ago they were held up in massive lines there. Just goes to show that airports have good and bad days, too.

I still like YVR, and not just because I live here. The airport I dislike the most is LAX!

As this is a topic that is be addressed on more than one board so here is a copy of what I have posted on the Alaska board.

I have never been held up unduly either however there is no question that line ups do happen on Saturday mornings when there are 3 and sometimes 4 ships in town. One thing that use to make conditions worse was the collection of the YVR Airport improvement fee. To expidite pax on there way the fee is no longer collected directly from the pax at the airport, it is now haromoized with other taxes and fees and added to the cost of the ticket, so that now is a non-starter.

The issue lies completely at the feet of the US government; I am certain no one in the YVR authority wants people standing in line...if anything they want these people spending their time at YVR shopping at the stores or in the bars and restaurants of the airport facility.

The airlines can not accept your luggage at the check-in counter; at any customs I have ever passed through you must have your luggage with you in the event the customs officer wants to inspect same and this is quite a different inspection then what is required under TSA regs.....so that is a non starter.

The DHS officers can spend as much time or as little time with a pax as they wish. There is nothing anyone can do to speed them up, they are the final authority. If not enough DHS stations are maned....well that is not YVR's fault it's DHS's. You are in fact charged a fee on your ticket which is remited to DHS for providing this service to you.

The only possible thing that is even remotely in the control of YVR is the security inspection. However these contracted people must comply with TSA regulations or the plane(s) may not fly into the US. Again these are TSA's regulations not YVR's or the Canadian government's. Having said that I have never found the security lineups at YVR any worse than they are in LAS or LAX in fact often much shorter....but again if I have flown on a morning when there are a number of cruise ships in town I have always been ahead of the rush.

I simply cannot see how YVR can or should be chastised for something that is entirely out of their control....to me it is clearly within the control of the agencies of the US government and that is where effected people should make their thoughts known. To vent in this type of a forum will do no good at all.

As this is a topic that is be addressed on more than one board so here is a copy of what I have posted on the Alaska board.

I have never been held up unduly either however there is no question that line ups do happen on Saturday mornings when there are 3 and sometimes 4 ships in town. One thing that use to make conditions worse was the collection of the YVR Airport improvement fee. To expidite pax on there way the fee is no longer collected directly from the pax at the airport, it is now haromoized with other taxes and fees and added to the cost of the ticket, so that now is a non-starter.

The issue lies completely at the feet of the US government; I am certain no one in the YVR authority wants people standing in line...if anything they want these people spending their time at YVR shopping at the stores or in the bars and restaurants of the airport facility.

The airlines can not accept your luggage at the check-in counter; at any customs I have ever passed through you must have your luggage with you in the event the customs officer wants to inspect same and this is quite a different inspection then what is required under TSA regs.....so that is a non starter.

The DHS officers can spend as much time or as little time with a pax as they wish. There is nothing anyone can do to speed them up, they are the final authority. If not enough DHS stations are maned....well that is not YVR's fault it's DHS's. You are in fact charged a fee on your ticket which is remited to DHS for providing this service to you.

The only possible thing that is even remotely in the control of YVR is the security inspection. However these contracted people must comply with TSA regulations or the plane(s) may not fly into the US. Again these are TSA's regulations not YVR's or the Canadian government's. Having said that I have never found the security lineups at YVR any worse than they are in LAS or LAX in fact often much shorter....but again if I have flown on a morning when there are a number of cruise ships in town I have always been ahead of the rush.

I simply cannot see how YVR can or should be chastised for something that is entirely out of their control....to me it is clearly within the control of the agencies of the US government and that is where effected people should make their thoughts known. To vent in this type of a forum will do no good at all.

YVR, yes i agree with the above poster. Not YVR's fault, DHS officers seem to be very slow at times. I used to fly regulary to Florida from YVR most times it was ok but on one occassion I arrived two hours before flight time and missed my flight. Was supposed to land in Orlando at 5pm and didn't arrive that time till 3am next day. Has everything was backed up at Dallas Fort Worth. I got out of Vancouver only one hour later but couldn't get a flight out of Dallas has lots were changing flight to Orlando has Fort Lauderdale was shut down due to Hurricane. Was lucky though managed to get the last flight out of Dallas. Otherwise would have been stuck in Dallas till 9 am the next day. Lucky I didn't have anything pressing when I arrived in Orlando. Just missed a dinner engagement with friends @ Tony Roma's. We did it two weeks later for my birthday lol. It's to bad you didn't use the U.S. direct option has with that option you don't need to clear Customs again. Does save a lot of time if your a U.S. Citizen, has you travel bye bus from cruise ship to the airport and you enter directly into the U.S. Terminal. Therereticaly you never set foot in Canada.

what a shame to have that kind of experience at the end of a holiday.

We have never had any problems at YVR but we do try to book during the week-days as weekends are too busy. The longest lines are usually for the US security.

However we have had horrendous experiences at Miami airport, Dallas and New York - in Miami the lines through security were so slow that we missed our flight, had to sit on the floor of the airport for 6 hours (no seats left) then were put up in a fleabag hotel and got home a day late.

Heathrow was bad too - we were told to wait in a lounge and not to go to

our gate until it was shown on an information board. It showed up 15 mintutes before the flight was to leave and we had to run all the way to the gate which was right at the end of that area.

Guess all airports can have problems from time to time.

Wow! Was there any indication why everything was so slow? We flew out of YVR 8 days later on Sunday July 5 and everything moved like clockwork. We did have a long walk from the rental car drop off to the international terminal because of the mis-direction from one of the workers who sent us up the wrong elevator, but once we got a luggage cart it wasn't too bad. Alaska Airline wait--about 10 minutes. Customs--about 10 minutes. Security--about 5 minutes.

I'm glad we didn't have your experience! What a way to end a relaxing vacation!

Did you arrive at airport three hours before depature time? Everyone was advised to do that for US flight because of pre flight custom clearing.

Ricky

Did you arrive at airport three hours before depature time? Everyone was advised to do that for US flight because of pre flight custom clearing.

Ricky

For our American friends, you may want to check with your cruiseline. Some of them offer post cruise custom clearing at the cruise terminal instead at the airport, provide you are taking their transportation service. THE BUS DOOR WILL BE SEALED until arriving at the airport.

Please check it out.

Ricky

Ricky

Doesn't work. Last year we stood and stood for at least an hour until they finally posted our airline. We were sent to a couple of wrong lines until it was actually posted. After that we were sent through long slow confusing crowded lines.

We had stayed over in Vancouver, so we could not do US Direct.

We left Vancouver Sunday August 9 our flight was scheduled for 2:00 arrived at Airport at 11:30, stood in line forever, we were actually placed in a sit and wait line because our flight was later than others, so coming early was not an answer....finally got to the gate about 1:15 to find our flight was delayed but for some reason it was not posted elsewhere in the terminal in fact it still listed departing at 1400 until at least 1430... then changed to the later leave time... Not a pleasant experience... was scheduled to get home at 8:00pm didn't get to home airport until about 10pm...and made it home 1115pm had to get up early (6:00) the next morning, so the relaxing vacation was soon forgotten....Not upset at anyone just disappointed... db777

what a shame to have that kind of experience at the end of a holiday.

We have never had any problems at YVR but we do try to book during the week-days as weekends are too busy. The longest lines are usually for the US security.

However we have had horrendous experiences at Miami airport, Dallas and New York - in Miami the lines through security were so slow that we missed our flight, had to sit on the floor of the airport for 6 hours (no seats left) then were put up in a fleabag hotel and got home a day late.

Heathrow was bad too - we were told to wait in a lounge and not to go to

our gate until it was shown on an information board. It showed up 15 mintutes before the flight was to leave and we had to run all the way to the gate which was right at the end of that area.

Guess all airports can have problems from time to time.

Our horror story is LAX on a Sunday, Jan. 2 about 5 years ago. Ship disembarkation was a mess, that didn't help. We made it off finally, then got to LAX...endless lines everywhere. Lines inside were absurd, well over an hour to get through. Skycap lines were just as bad, as far as the eye could see. With some heavy politicking and wrangling, we made it to our flight, but not by much.

Never again LAX at peak times.

We had this happen in Vancouver after getting off the Statendam Alaska cruise tour. There were 3 or 4 cruise ships arriving and it seemed everyone was getting to the airport at the same time and it looked to me like we were all on the same airline!! A friend had a later flight and took a tour of the city and just breezed through the airport. What is so important about customs when you mostly have been in the U.S. anyway? We also met this after a Panama Canal cruise that ended in L.A. We were hoping to see CopperJohn for a few minutes but there were 3 cruise ships and we were a couple of hours late getting off the ship and we missed him.:cool: Just a part of vacation I guess.

We left Vancouver Sunday August 9 our flight was scheduled for 2:00 arrived at Airport at 11:30, stood in line forever, we were actually placed in a sit and wait line because our flight was later than others, so coming early was not an answer....finally got to the gate about 1:15 to find our flight was delayed but for some reason it was not posted elsewhere in the terminal in fact it still listed departing at 1400 until at least 1430... then changed to the later leave time... Not a pleasant experience... was scheduled to get home at 8:00pm didn't get to home airport until about 10pm...and made it home 1115pm had to get up early (6:00) the next morning, so the relaxing vacation was soon forgotten....Not upset at anyone just disappointed... db777

Sorry to hear all these horrible stories about departure to US at YVR. We have flown to USA many times and fortuned enough not encountering any problems.

Ricky

Archived