All Things "Jewel of the Seas"

It has been some years since I have sailed Royal Caribbean. I have been sailing on Holland America and Carnival lately (yea, I know these two cruise lines are very different from each other).

I just booked a February 2010 "Jewel of the Seas" cruise. So I thought I would ask what previous passengers of the "Jewel of the Seas" liked, disliked or had as tips when sailing on the "Jewel of the Seas".

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Art

My sister and I just sailed on the Jewel this past April to the Panama Canal. She's a beautiful ship with lots of glass and seemed to be in great condition. The only thing I didn't like is the bird and cricket sound effects that were played continuously in the Solarium! Kinda got on my nerves after a while. That said, if that's the most I can say against the Jewel, I'd say you are in for a great cruise!

The staff was great...our head waiter and assistant waiter were wonderful and funny. We didn't see too much of our cabin steward because the cabins he had to take care were spread throughout the ship, but he took excellent care of the us. Enjoy your cruise!

What can I say, the Jewel just happens to be my favourite ship in the fleet. :D

I love all the Radiance class ships because of their classic design and huge glass walls everywhere, but having sailed the Jewel 5 times and being there when she was "born" she will always have a special place in my heart.

If you want to see pics of the Jewel, visit my website through the link in my signature.

linkerblink - I am desperate to book another RCI cruise after our first on EOS this Feb I am hooked - I just wondered which Panama route you did - I am looking at 11 night from Miami on 22nd Feb 2010 - only trouble is we have 3 kids - son 9 & twin girls 6 - in your opinion would this itenaray be route for them?:confused:

We have sailed 5x on the Radiance class ships, 3xs on the beautiful Serenade and 2xs Radiance, Love this size ship, we are booked on the Jewel for April 5th members cruise.

The ships are made for enjoying the outside when on the ship with all the glass.

I am sure you will love the ship

If you check my signature, you may get some idea of how we feel about the Jewel of the Seas. She is a beautiful ship, underwent a drydock a year ago while she was in Boston, and sails some very interesting itineraries in Europe, New England, and the Caribbean. :) Her staff is friendly and very accommodating and we are looking forward to boarding her in just a few weeks to sail across the Atlantic.:) One tip- early on in the cruise locate the Seaview Cafe and enjoy a snack or lunch there before many of your fellow passengers discover it. It is one deck above the Windjammer and is just behind the kids pool and slide.

Thank you to all for your comments. I know I will enjoy the Jewel of the Seas.

I really liked the tip about using the Seaview Cafe. Thanks "negc".

I hope that others who have sailed on the Jewel of the Seas will read this thread and comment.

Thank you again.

Art

Take the "outside" elevator all the way up to deck 14 to see the "flamingos"...too cute! There is outside dining all the way to the back of the Windjammer buffet. Do NOT miss seeing the self-leveling pool tables! I have forgotten what the area they are in is called, but head toward the aft from the Schnoor Bar and they will be toward your left after the bar. If Rusty is still at the Champagne Bar, he is a superior bartender and quite the gentleman.

We also love the Jewel and we won't be back until 2011 but we are so looking very forward to it. The Solarium is wonderful and sooo relaxing. For the D+ or suite people, the evening concierge service has been in the Hollywood Odyssey and we had such a wonderful time with Ted as the assistant and bar tender. I hear he has left however:(. The Hollywood Odyssey is a cigar bar in the later evenings with entertainment if you are a cigar afficianado. The ship features many glass windows overlooking the sea. Very light toned wood which reminds me of the art deco era. Overall, a terrific ship!

Radiance class is the best. 2X on Radiance, 1X on Jewel and looking forward to Serenade this fall. You will not be disappointed. IMHO they are the nicest ships in the fleet. Doesn't feel too crowded like Voyager class. Me - I won't even entertain the thought of their mega ships. 5000 people on my week off just doesn't sound like where I want to be.

linkerblink - I am desperate to book another RCI cruise after our first on EOS this Feb I am hooked - I just wondered which Panama route you did - I am looking at 11 night from Miami on 22nd Feb 2010 - only trouble is we have 3 kids - son 9 & twin girls 6 - in your opinion would this itenaray be route for them?:confused:

Clare,

As far as the ship goes, you will love the "Jewel". She is the youngest of the radiance class ships (2004). Given the choice between her and a voyager class ship, I would give preference to the "Jewel".

Having said that, your question asked if the 11 night Panama route would work for your children. Your kids will have fun on any cruise! So If you choose this route, I wouldn't lay awake at night wondering if they are having fun. But (oh yes there is always a "but") since this is an 11 night cruise, you will not find many families traveling on this one. It is usually to expensive for a family budget. We did this route, on this ship, last January (my favorite so far). Of the 3000+ guest, there were 78 under the age of 18. I would say the average passenger age was mid 60's. There were more people riding around on scooters on this ship, than all our other cruises combined. At night the hallways near the cabins looked like the pits at a NASCAR race.

We have found that our children perfer cruising during spring break. There are many kids on board for them to hang around with. The bungee trampoline on the Enchanment was a favorite of theirs.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising

Joe

With all these comments I am starting a list of the things everyone has suggested to see on the Jewel of the Sea.

Library

Deck 14 Flamingos

Solarium

Seaview Cafe

Self-leveling pool tables

Outside dining all the way to the back of the Windjammer buffet

Hollywood Odyssey (cigar bar)

Thank you to all.

I was reading the thread "What is a Hump Cabin" and it made me look again at the available cabins on the Jewel of the Seas for my cruise.

I knew about the benefits of the aft balcony cabins but had forgot about the hump cabins.

I had already reserved a deck 8 balcony cabin when this "Hump" thread made me check the availability of hump cabins. When I saw 9576 available on the Jewel of the Seas I jumped at reserving it.

I have not had a hump balcony cabin before so this will be a new experience.

I was reading the thread "What is a Hump Cabin" and it made me look again at the available cabins on the Jewel of the Seas for my cruise.

I knew about the benefits of the aft balcony cabins but had forgot about the hump cabins.

I had already reserved a deck 8 balcony cabin when this "Hump" thread made me check the availability of hump cabins. When I saw 9576 available on the Jewel of the Seas I jumped at reserving it.

When is your Jewel cruise? We are in 9078, on the other side of the ship for our next four Jewel cruises (1.TA; 2. October, 2009 repostioning; 3. Three night Bahamas cruise and 4. October, 2010 repositioning). I guess that is pretty good evidence that we like the location.:D

We will be in 9576 on Sept 2 for our TA. It's supposed to have a larger balcony with a lounger. We will see. (Hi negc)

Ready4Cruise...

We booked our first "Hump" cabin on the Jewel as well. We are sailing in January, and I can't wait!

We too, have enjoyed the Aft cabins, so I am looking forward to finding out what everyone has been raving about with the central location of a "Hump" cabin.

TPCruiser2...

We will be joining you on your cruise to the Panama Canal on the Jewel in January - hope to meet you at the Meet & Mingle.

I have sailed the Serenade to Alaska and the Jewel to the Caribbean - I LOVE this class ship.

I have to agree with the advice about the Seaview Cafe - one of my all-time favorite spots to grab a quick bite made to order and a terrific view of the ocean - Yum!

Archived