Nieuw Amsterdam's Dedication/Naming?

sail7seas

Well, the first bookable cruise scheduled is a 10-day on July 4, 2010 from Venice to Dubrovnik and back to Venice on July 7th, and then it goes down as far as Katakolon Greece. (You can also book the 7-day part starting July 7). July 14 and 26 also depart from Venice. So it kinda looks like Venice is where the dedication will be! :)

I wonder if anyone on the Eurodam Inaugural will go on the Niew Amsterdam Inaugual? I rather doubt it...so many problems I think people were "turned off."

After reading all the issues folks had, I would wait until it's smooth sailing!

I wonder if anyone on the Eurodam Inaugural will go on the Niew Amsterdam Inaugual? I rather doubt it...so many problems I think people were "turned off."

After reading all the issues folks had, I would wait until it's smooth sailing!

I followed CC well before I ever "signed up" and started posting, and as I recall the "problems" were dislike of cabanas (change happens), a 'step' in the lido (since better identified), the lack of handrails in the Mainstage (since resolved), and category VT balconies (that were as advertised, people just stated they would prefer a fuller balcony and if you notice the NA:4 does not have a category VT).

Was there more that I missed somehow? I don't see how any of these things would hugely or drastically affect those wanting to go to NA:4's inaugural in a major way.

And to answer OP's question, I have heard nothing specific and nothing has been announced, but I would also imagine that the naming, etc will be in Venice as that is where the first sailing departs from and HAL has had many previous namings in Venice

I believe there were also Main Dining Room issues, such as not getting the tables requested.

Do you mean the dining time requested? If so that is all first come first served (when booking and requesting) with the exception of deluxe suite guests who are auto-confirmed on the time they choose.

If you mean people didn't get the precise table they want I would assume this is on lower level for open dining, but unless other people were at that table when someone showed up I don't see how/why that could/would occur

Well, the first bookable cruise scheduled is a 10-day on July 4, 2010 from Venice to Dubrovnik and back to Venice on July 7th, and then it goes down as far as Katakolon Greece. (You can also book the 7-day part starting July 7). July 14 and 26 also depart from Venice. So it kinda looks like Venice is where the dedication will be! :)

Thanks, John.

Was there more that I missed somehow? I don't see how any of these things would hugely or drastically affect those wanting to go to NA:4's inaugural in a major way.

In the "dislike" category there were many that ridiculed the atrium chandelier and the erector-set chairs in the Pinnacle bar. I happen to agree with both of those complaints, but as you say, those aren't reasons to not book a cruise on a ship, inaugural or later.

Do you mean the dining time requested? If so that is all first come first served (when booking and requesting) with the exception of deluxe suite guests who are auto-confirmed on the time they choose.

If you mean people didn't get the precise table they want I would assume this is on lower level for open dining, but unless other people were at that table when someone showed up I don't see how/why that could/would occur

I wasn't there...I only remember what I read at the time...and what I remember in talking with many who did the Eurodam Inaugral and were on our Noordam cruise in January.

I recall it was in the service area: Not being able to get reservations in the Pinnacle, overcrowding in the Lido, problems in the Main Dining Room, a feeling that the TA's and VIP's on board "came first," etc.

Perhaps they will weigh in here...I don't want to speak for them!

I followed CC well before I ever "signed up" and started posting, and as I recall the "problems" were dislike of cabanas (change happens), a 'step' in the lido (since better identified), the lack of handrails in the Mainstage (since resolved), and category VT balconies (that were as advertised, people just stated they would prefer a fuller balcony and if you notice the NA:4 does not have a category VT).

And to answer OP's question, I have heard nothing specific and nothing has been announced, but I would also imagine that the naming, etc will be in Venice as that is where the first sailing departs from and HAL has had many previous namings in Venice

That was a good response Dutch to the complaints about the Eurodam at the time of first sailing.

Dan

I won't be on it. After the E-dam inaugural, I doubt I'll ever take an inaugural voyage again. :(

Was there more that I missed somehow?

It wasn't just the physical things that were different, or needed getting used to that made the E-dam inaugural less than expected. It was more than that.

It was people confirmed for fixed dining not getting it. It was people who had linked their dining reservations, but were assigned to tables on opposite sides of the dining room.

It was paying a very high per diem to take an inaugural cruise, but getting the feeling that there was nothing special about it.

Usually there are little tokens inaugural cruisers come away with---like a book---that were missing.

It was an incredible amount of understaffing in the lounges at cocktail time. So much so that there was a lengthy wait before a steward came to take an order.

After it was over, it was just another cruise.

• The Lido-Cabanas: It's not just that we didn't like them ... it's that they robbed already limited dining space, making it unusable by general passengers.
  • The Lido restaurant was frequently over-crowded, with seating impossible to find at peak times.
  • Lounges were often over-crowded.
  • Beverages Stewards were stretched so thin that it frequently took 45 minutes to get an order filled.
  • Even though we booked the Inaugural cruises many weeks BEFORE the ship was opened for general booking (i.e, 18 months prior to the sailing) we STILL were not able to get the dining-time assignment that was confirmed.
  • Those who also booked 18 months prior to the sailing, had their dining linked to ours, and were confirmed to be seated with us, were not. It took pulling strings with higher-ups to get changes made.
  • Design flaws that resulted in shower accidents, toilet malfunctions, etc.
  • Flickering lights on the steps in the Mainstage.
  • THE infamous "step" in the Lido.
  • Being treated like unwanted annoyances during the 3-day prelude cruise, even though we paid through the nose for those 3 days, while those who went for free as guests of the line were wined and dined with the best of everything.

We would jump at the chance to go on a first cruise here if we ever get the chance.

Dan

• The Lido-Cabanas: It's not just that we didn't like them ... it's that they robbed already limited dining space, making it unusable by general passengers.
  • The Lido restaurant was frequently over-crowded, with seating impossible to find at peak times.
  • Lounges were often over-crowded.
  • Beverages Stewards were stretched so thin that it frequently took 45 minutes to get an order filled.
  • Even though we booked the Inaugural cruises many weeks BEFORE the ship was opened for general booking (i.e, 18 months prior to the sailing) we STILL were not able to get the dining-time assignment that was confirmed.
  • Those who also booked 18 months prior to the sailing, had their dining linked to ours, and were confirmed to be seated with us, were not. It took pulling strings with higher-ups to get changes made.
  • Design flaws that resulted in shower accidents, toilet malfunctions, etc.
  • Flickering lights on the steps in the Mainstage.
  • THE infamous "step" in the Lido.
  • Being treated like unwanted annoyances during the 3-day prelude cruise, even though we paid through the nose for those 3 days, while those who went for free as guests of the line were wined and dined with the best of everything.

For DBA, you asked, and you received!!!

I recall being envious about all the CCers going on this inaugral until I read their blogs...

:D:D:D

I recall being envious about all the CCers going on this inaugral until I read their blogs...

Even with the problems, the annoyances, and the disappointments as described, we still had a great time with our ccer friends; additionally, Norway was great during the first 10 days and the Baltic Itinerary was wonderful during the second 10 days.

I was also on the Noordam Inaugural, and that was a wonderful cruise. That was why I did the Eurodam Inaugurals. IF HAL does another Inaugural cruise on our side of the Atlantic, I might consider going on it. But, given how horribly expensive the Eurodam Inaugurals were, I can't afford that kind of cruise again. Not soon, at least.

LOL,,,yes we will receive more as the days go by. Lets relive the step in the lido.......LOL

Dan

John & I were also part of the 2 inaugural CC gang. We LOVED the Noordam inaugural. It was so incredibly special. And we were made to feel that way by HAL. Special events like a black & white ball; a commemorative book about the building of the ship; staff & officers on board giving lectures about the same, with slideshows. Everyone on Noordam's 10-day inaugural out of NYC was considered to be on her maiden voyage. Yes, she made a quick stop in Boston a few days earlier for TAs & VIPs, but that was NOT where festivities were held. We didn't have tix to the event, but everyone onboard was invited to the lounge to attend the inaugural festivities w/Marlee Matlin, Noordam's Godmother. And our own Sail did a lovely job of blessing the bell w/champagne.

The E-dam inaugural was initially sold as a 10-day voyage out of Copenhagen. Great - a trip to Europe :). In the middle of the summer season. An expensive one :rolleyes:. And then, in about, what, March, HAL decides that oh, wait, since Queen Beatrix is the ship's Godmother, let's have the christening in Rotterdam. So they added a 3-day prelude cruise at exhorbitant prices. We sort of couldn't afford those extra $$ - we really couldn't afford that extra time mid-summer (my John is a heating & AC contractor). So, those of us who for a YEAR had thought we were on a maiden voyage, weren't. :( Only those who were on the 3-day prelude really had any specialness to the cruise.

Now, on E-dam it was fantastic to see friends again. And the ports were wonderful, especially Flam, Norway & the 2 in Scotland. And we loved Tamarind & the Silk Den. But was the overall experience that special to have paid the inaugural premium? No. It was just a nice cruise w/a few sour notes.

I think Greg got it right (he usually does :)) - for us to really consider another inaugural, it would have to be on this side of the pond.

No thanks ... Ruth and I already tripped over it. I don't relish doing that again. :D[/quote

Then dont do it...Very simple.

Dan

If you go on the new ship me maybe no new step to look out for. The key here is the new ship[...... As i have sailed the Eurodam last Nov, the step is history..

Dan

If you go on the new ship me maybe no new step to look out for. The key here is the new ship[...... As i have sailed the Eurodam last Nov, the step is history..

Dan

Dan, I hope you have a great Inaugural cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam...please come back and tell us about your cruise...hopefully it will be a better experience than the inaugural on the Eurodam.

An inaugural cruise sounds exciting overall, but after hearing the experiences of many CC'ers whose judgement I trust implicitly, those who have weighed in here...and others who have not yet...I'll stick with a known entity...and with what I've learned from them.

Archived