Edinburgh tattoo question

We'll be going to the tattoo via a ship shore excursion which leaves around 3:30. I understand the castle closes at 5:00. My questions are:

1) are the gift shops at the castle open until the tattoo starts?

2) are there any restaurants/food for purchase? (diabetic and always carry something but not usually a full meal)

Thanks--have received so much good information from these boards for this and my earlier Alaska trip!

We'll be going to the tattoo via a ship shore excursion which leaves around 3:30. I understand the castle closes at 5:00. My questions are:

1) are the gift shops at the castle open until the tattoo starts?

2) are there any restaurants/food for purchase? (diabetic and always carry something but not usually a full meal)

Thanks--have received so much good information from these boards for this and my earlier Alaska trip!

The Tattoo is in front of the castle...

2009Boudicca10506-vi.jpg

and you find there nothing more but souvenirs and food...

as it is part of the Royal Mile.

2009Boudicca10515-vi.jpg

There are so many food venues I am sure you'll find something... like...

2009Boudicca10518-vi.jpg

Edinburgh was great. Have a good time there.

Regards,

HeinBloed

As heinbloed says there is no shortage of souvenir shops and restaurants around there. if you can't find anything in or adjacent to the castle itself, then a short stroll down the Royal mile will give you plenty more choice.

hya - many good places to eat on the royal mile beside the castle. We love going to the royal mcgregor pub as pictured in the photo above. Not to dear and good service, i recommend there, but many other good places aswell. Enjoy your stay.

steven

(Edited)

P.S. Take at least a light weight sweater and a jacket. We got really cold sitting there all those hours. Also you should be able to check out a video of the Tattoo at your local library. You will love the performances!

• 3 months later...

:( We plan on attending Tattoo on our own then return to ship. We are not sure whether we should use ship's excursion or purchase tickets on our own. Cruiseline is slow to post any info on whether or not it will be available to us and we hear the Tattoo tickets sell out quickly so we are thinking of purchasing on our own. Has anyone any advice on best way to return to ship late at night from the Tattoo?

Taxi would be your best option. You can either try flagging one down when you come out but you may have to wait for a while or make arrangements to pre book one to pick you up at a specific location (rather than Castle Hill as it is likely to be mobbed with other people streaming out of the castle and very difficult for the car to reach you

I see you are in Edingurgh. Have you seen the Tattoo, I hear it is a must see? Thanks for your idea of alternate pick up point, we hear the crowds

are huge leaving the area after..Any other suggestions, we are also looking for a nice local place to eat away from the crowds, simple local fare...This is our first visit to Scotland, my husband's grandparents were from Dundee and Stirling he's very excited to see Scotland.

Kren, please be certain where you will be docking. One dock is downtown but the other one is about an hour away. Cab can be expensive. It will be very crowded and late when you get out.

I would post on the cruise line board for your cruise line to see if others know if they have offered the Military Tattoo. Also have your TA contact the cruise line.

Ours did and still does and it was an outstanding event.

If your cruise line does offer it, I would book it through them. It is just much more convenient to use the transfers.

Keith

Yes I have been to the tatto but only the once. Despite the heavy rain and howling wind it was a truly remarkable spectacle. They always televise it here so I've seen it every year.

It may be summer, but the weather can be fairly inpredictable, so make sure you pack waterproofs and also take something warm. There is the occasional year when we do have a really nice summer and it is still reasonably mild in the evening. Those are rare and you are in a pretty exposed spot.

Kren in August you are going to struggle to find somewhere quiet away from crowds anywhere in the city centre. This is the busiest time of year from us. You will have to go out of town a bit to avoid the hordes. there are also not that many city centre restaurants doing local food, there are all sorts of different restaurant with cuisine from all around the globe.

Stockbridge is a very nice area in the city, not far from the centre and is not quite so busy as the centre itself. The buffalo Grill is good as is the Room in Town (Howe St). There is also a small Edinburgh chain of Restaurants called Howies, founded by a local chef. They are fairly inexpensive and have good local produce. The style is modern Scottish/French. You probably will need a reservation though to be guaranteed a table.

If you are looking for something really plain, then you could try the Standing Order pub in George St (It's a Wotherspoons pub). It used to be a New Town bank and the main (former) banking hall is very spacious and rather grand.

What is the date for the tattoo for 2010?

Here is a link to the Edinburgh Military Tattoo Web Site providing lost of information on the event.

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk/

I would recommend going with the cruise line for the convenience of the transportation to and from the dock particularly if you are docked at the pier that is a fairly long drive from downtown Edinburgh.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Our ship will be docking right in Edinburgh at Leith. I am debating whether I should buy tickets on our own and get the exact seating section we want or pay more than double through the cruise line to go as a tour. For anyone that has done it as a tour, what kind of seats did you have? I'd hate to pay big money for high up or really far to one side.

Also, would a taxi back to the port be feasible after the show? Since we are in port overnight, we could always hang around for a drink to let the crowds thin if taxi's would be in high demand.

Thanks!

We're on the Princess Aug 7th. British Isles. After lots of research we've decided to wait and book the ship's tour if we go to the Tattoo..the stories of crowds and lines is giving us nightmares! Our ship departs 1am that night and I'm not interested in chasing it out of port! Thanks for all the great info, Edinburgh will be a highlight of our cruise...my husband is so excited to see his family birthplace, Dundee and Stirling.

PS If you are also on the Princess Aug 7th British Isles check out the thread that has started for our Cruise...

Hi GACCruiser456

Taxis are always hard to find during the Festival when the Tattoo has just finished. It is even worse if it is a weekend. However as you have an overnight stay in leith, and are prepared to wait a bit until the rush dies down, then you shouldn't have a problem. Also if you go to a good hotel for a drink afterwards they will get a taxi for you (Balmoral, Scotsman, Carlton highland etc are all nearby)

Oh, I like that idea! We are sailing from S. Queensferry at 1:00am and need to be onboard no later than 12:30am. Will we have enough time to get a taxi if we see the 7:30pm show? Also, could you perhaps recommend a local driver who could pick us up at the ship and return us after the show? So far, there are eight of us. thanks. Janis

Oh, I like that idea! We are sailing from S. Queensferry at 1:00am and need to be onboard no later than 12:30am. Will we have enough time to get a taxi if we see the 7:30pm show? Also, could you perhaps recommend a local driver who could pick us up at the ship and return us after the show? So far, there are eight of us. thanks. Janis

Yes you should be fine since you are at the earlier show.As for local drivers I just use one of the Edinburgh Black cab companies all the time (Computercabs 44 131 272 8001) or Central Radio Taxis (44 131 229 2468). A black cab will take 5 max, so you will need 2. An alternative might be Festival cars - they have some people carriers but I'm not sure if they take as many as 8. their number is 44 131 552 1777.

http://www.festivalcitycars.co.uk/

All these companies use a meter but Festival may quote you a fixed rate.

I prefer black cabs though because they are licensed and vetted. To drive a black cab they have to be vetted by the police and pass a test to demonstrate that they know the city well. Festival is a private hire company and their drivers are not subject to vetting or need to pass any tests. Sometimes you get a good experienced driver and sometimes you get one that hasn't a clue where he is going

I have been to the Tatoo twice the last two years. In my opinion it is VERY important your seating, and I would NEVER consider a "tour" without knowing specifically where the seats are. I would highly doubt the ship excursions are going to have good seats. Take a look at the seating map, by far the forward viewing seats (where I sat) were grossly superior for seeing the "shows" that are put on by the various preformers, compared to the side viewing. The least- I would select would only be the very ends- toward the forward viewing seats, of the side viewing seats. I would never consider any near the castle, which is the side, back of the preformance.

I purchased my seats the day they went on sale in Dec. even then I was several rows back. There were NO available seats the entire week I was there first week of August 2009, all sold out. People lined up, asking for tickets. Seats are also VERY tight, so if you are a larger person, be prepared for a squeeze and no leg room.

• 3 weeks later...

I have looked at the website suggested in this thread, but the Tatoo time listed is only in August, and all at 9:00 PM. Am I missing something? We will be there during the day, and I have not seen tickets for mid June....

Any suggestions?

Archived