What is the future of RCCL

They will get back some of that soon when the Diamonds get kicked out of the Concierge Lounge next month.

so true! Or did they lose 35 mil because so many diamond members cancelled cruises they had booked when they found out their benefits got cut.......I would love to know.

They will get back some of that soon when the Diamonds get kicked out of the Concierge Lounge next month.

LOL!!!

In all seriousness, and no I don't claim to be anything close to an expert on these items but Royal is estimated to have over 6 billion dollars in annual revenue. Yes I do own shares in this company, but I am not concerned yet about a 35 milion dollar loss.:)

I understand the sentiments of the above 2 cruisers. I too was bummed out learning that I would no longer be allowed in the Concierge Lounge. It really sucks to have something you have enjoyed on past cruises taken away. I understand why they did it. But I think it is wrong. RCCL used to be realyy good to past guests, but they are chipping away at us. I know they are offering something else instead. But the wife and I do not drink champagne or wine. I enjoyed the espresso machine and DW enjoyed a Coke once in a while. Are they being pennywise and pound foolish? I think so.

I understand the sentiments of the above 2 cruisers. I too was bummed out learning that I would no longer be allowed in the Concierge Lounge. It really sucks to have something you have enjoyed on past cruises taken away. I understand why they did it. But I think it is wrong. RCCL used to be realyy good to past guests, but they are chipping away at us. I know they are offering something else instead. But the wife and I do not drink champagne or wine. I enjoyed the espresso machine and DW enjoyed a Coke once in a while. Are they being pennywise and pound foolish? I think so.

Amen! You are right!

Considering that they haven't had a loss since Q4 2005, and the current economic conditions, I wouldn't worry about it. It seems like they are also attempting to cut costs (which I realize customers are upset about).

I would think they will take a loss in Q2 as well, but it will depend on cost cutting and how much money passengers are spending (I don't think they are having problems filling ships).

Most analyses that I have seen seem to show that while the travel industry has been adversely impacted by the recession and the dismal economy of the last year or so, the cruise industry is actually weathering the storm reasonably well, certainly much better than many other businesses. Stock prices, while still well below their highs of the past few years, have begun to rebound which indicates increasing confidence on the part of most investors. I expect that RCI will see gradual improvement in the months and years ahead and that any predictions of it demise are grossly exaggerated. If the Oasis and Allure live up to expectations you can expect to see more people who are new to cruising, booking these ships and other ships in the fleet. It is in almost everybody's interest to see RCCL and the other mass market lines recover their financial well-being. :)

In my little corner of the hospitality world (Niagara Falls) there has not been a great decline in the numbers of visitors, but they are spending a lot less. Fewer people are taking tours and those who do are cutting back on souvenirs and tips:mad:. I'm down about 10% compared to last summer. Assuming that Richro's numbers are correct, and I have no reason to doubt them, a 35 million dollar loss is only about 1/2 of one percent of their total revenue. It sounds like they are weathering this recession pretty well.

Currently the Economy makes it hard for any company in the travel industry. Ultimately if Oasis lives up to cruiser's best expectations it will change the industry and thrust RCCL to the top.

Otherwise RCCL could easily end up in bankruptcy if they can't handle 4000 passengers on one ship. If you look at the Oasis forum the people booking are the bigger spenders. That clientele will either reward you greatly if you make them happy, but if you burn them don't ever expect them to come back.

Currently the Economy makes it hard for any company in the travel industry. Ultimately if Oasis lives up to cruiser's best expectations it will change the industry and thrust RCCL to the top.

Otherwise RCCL could easily end up in bankruptcy if they can't handle 4000 passengers on one ship. If you look at the Oasis forum the people booking are the bigger spenders. That clientele will either reward you greatly if you make them happy, but if you burn them don't ever expect them to come back.

They handle 4000 passengers just fine every day on the three Freedom class ships. I see no reason why they can't do the same on the 6000 passenger Oasis class, except possibly in bad weather (since there is so much uncovered outdoor space.)

Is anyone concerned that they lost 35 million? Does anyone think the company could go into banruptcy? How will it affect the future of the cruise line?

I'm really hoping the economy improves soon. I would really hate for RC, or any cruiseline, to go under. I do worry about RC being able to pay for the Oasis. I really think they'll have a difficult time filling that huge ship with passengers. :(

I'm really hoping the economy improves soon. I would really hate for RC, or any cruiseline, to go under. I do worry about RC being able to pay for the Oasis. I really think they'll have a difficult time filling that huge ship with passengers. :(

Agreed. Right now the prices on the Oasis is just outrageous! I expect big discounts in the coming years as they want to have all the cabins booked.... Until then, I am patiently waiting.

so true! Or did they lose 35 mil because so many diamond members cancelled cruises they had booked when they found out their benefits got cut.......I would love to know.

I think the opposite is true. D+ lounge will now accommodate the number of people it can hold. For every D member who says they won't book there will be one who will book so it's a wash. If all these D members who claim they can celled their cruises i'd ask "why are you still on the RCL board"? I thinks you didn't cancel but want to send RCL that message.

I think this is an interesting topic since my husband and I just did a RCI cruise followed by a Celebrity cruise 10 days later. Although the Explorer of the Seas was in great shape considering it's age, the service was far from good. We found the nickle and dime charges annoying. We went on the Infinity, also an older ship. The service was so much better, we felt like welcomed guests rather than an annoying releative that you just have to put up with. The extra benefits that we used to get as D members went to the Elite members on Celebrity. They have a brand new Elite member program that out classes the D benefits on RCI.

We sail both RCI & Celebrity and up until recently found them almost equal. I know that 35 Million is not a great loss, but when you take away benefits from loyal passengers, add charges for items that were once free, it just doesn't sit very well.

I hope that Adam Goldstein will read our comments and take our complaints seriously.

Gem

I have a client who is an event planner for large companys. He has told me that his business is dead as they are all afraid of Washington, for obvious reasons.

So the problems of the cruise business are not that bad, yet.

I think that should be the far bigger concern for everyone.

Agreed. Right now the prices on the Oasis is just outrageous! I expect big discounts in the coming years as they want to have all the cabins booked.... Until then, I am patiently waiting.

The reason that the prices are high is due to the fact that they are filling the Oasis. Everyone said the same thing about the Voyager and Freedom class ships and we all know how that ended.:rolleyes:

All they have to do is have another increase in the cover charge for Johnny Rocket's to make up the losses.;)

I think this is an interesting topic since my husband and I just did a RCI cruise followed by a Celebrity cruise 10 days later. Although the Explorer of the Seas was in great shape considering it's age, the service was far from good. We found the nickle and dime charges annoying. We went on the Infinity, also an older ship. The service was so much better, we felt like welcomed guests rather than an annoying releative that you just have to put up with. The extra benefits that we used to get as D members went to the Elite members on Celebrity. They have a brand new Elite member program that out classes the D benefits on RCI.

We sail both RCI & Celebrity and up until recently found them almost equal. I know that 35 Million is not a great loss, but when you take away benefits from loyal passengers, add charges for items that were once free, it just doesn't sit very well.

I hope that Adam Goldstein will read our comments and take our complaints seriously.

Gem

Hi Gem Lover, When did you return from the explorer? And could you please be more specific about areas of poor service on the Explorer?

RCCL will survive though it might be a rocky road.You will see a bigger seperation of the brands .RCCL will become the entry level family floating Six Flags as per the Oasis.Celebrity will be the Floating Marriot Resort and Azamara will be the Four Seasons.The refined cruiser who enjoys the pampered service will leave Royal a move up the ladder to Celebrity.Each line will offer a different experience for criuisers

:cj

RCCL will survive though it might be a rocky road.You will see a bigger seperation of the brands .RCCL will become the entry level family floating Six Flags as per the Oasis.Celebrity will be the Floating Marriot Resort and Azamara will be the Four Seasons.The refined cruiser who enjoys the pampered service will leave Royal a move up the ladder to Celebrity.Each line will offer a different experience for criuisers

:cj

I agree 100%.

I believe that what you see happening with RCCL and Celebrity is planned. Many of the Diamond and Diamond plus folks do not spend as much per cruise on the added items as newer cruisers or younger cruisers. I think the fact that the diamond benefits dropped on RCCL and the Elite benefits on Celebrity increased is a planned event. The prices on most celebrity cruises are higher than similar cruises on RCCL. Celebrity is focusing itself on what older or more experienced cruisers want and will charge a higher price to give people that experience. Do I think they are making a mistake, not really. I am no longer interested in Johnny Rockets, mini golf, flow riders and rock climbing. I am interested in quality food, a few drinks in the lounge before dinner and a relaxed ride. Celebrity seems to be enhancing those options and focusing on that. My predication is the price for Celebrity will remain a little higher then RCCL but non price sensitive people will leave RCCL for Celebrity to enjoy what is important to them.

Mike

Here is my take on people bashing the cruise lines for nickel and dime charges. I will have taken two cruises this year, one on Carnival and one RCI and both four nights. RCI four nights during spring break ran about 350 for outside cabin and Carnival Legend in September 199 for outside room. These rates are way way lower than we were paying when we first started cruising in the mid 90's. I will pay for all my sodas and specialty coffees to get rates like these.

Archived