How Long is Long Enough For You?

sail7seas

For those who have sailed more than a seven day cruise, is there a limit as to how long you think you want to be aboard?

A World Cruise is not for everyone no matter how much they love cruising. Putting money/price aside, about how long do you think you'd be happy sailing? Would you want off the ship at 14 days do you think? 30 days? 45 days? 100 days?

Or could you sailaway forever? :D

The longest we have been aboard is 15 days and we definitely would have been happy sailing longer. (DH is not retired so he cannot sail any longer than that.)

We did just one 7 day cruise, and knew right away that we needed more time. Most of our cruises now are between 14 and 20 days ... but I would love to slide into that 50-60 day range. More than that and I fear I'd get too lonesome for my grandkids and puppylove.

The longest we've sailed is 14 days - I wasn't ready to get off . DH, on the other hand, said he just wanted to get off long enough to be able to mow the lawn, then he'd like to get back on again. Go figure.

I'd love to be able to sail a least 30 days, just to see what it was like, and build up to a World Cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I have done a couple of 7 day cruises, but prefer 10 to 14 days. My longest so far has been 15 days to Hawaii, and even that one wasn't long enough.

Sometimes I think I could pretty much live on cruise ships, much like Mama Lou -- do you think she would like a roommate? :D:eek: No, I didn't think so either :(.

Once I retire, I hope to have the means to start lengthening my cruises; maybe then I will find out how long it takes for me to want to come home.

Bonnie

Longest I have done so far is 18 days and I wasn't even CLOSE to being ready to get off. Now I will be leaving on my 67 day voyage.......I can't imagine even that being too long......but will live the adventure prior to booking another one. (Pretty wise huh??)

Minimally Long Enough: 10 Days. Anything less than 10 days and I really haven't had time to unwind from being on-call 24/7. Once I can get myself into relaxation mode I'm fine, but it takes either 2 full sea days or a sea day and a few port days before I'm into that "zone." On a 7-day cruise I just barely reach the "zone" and am enjoying myself and WHAM ... it's time to pack and go home. I've not had enough time to decompress. A 10-day cruise gives me a full 7 days to decompress after getting into the "zone." Longer is better, but 10 days is enough for a cruise to work its "magic."

Now, on the other end, the longest I've done was 26 days. It was fantastic, and by the time I got off I felt like I had been on a journey, and enjoyed myself and relaxed and had good activities, too. I was ready to go home. That doesn't mean, however, that I couldn't just as easily have stayed aboard ship for another 26 days! Hence, I really don't know how "long" is "long enough" in the sense that I'm itching to get off and go home.

I find 15 days in the Hawaii cruise pattern to be about "perfect." I get 5 days to relax, unwind, relax, and enjoy myself and the ship. I get 5 days to wipe myself out enjoying the Islands. AND, I get an other 5 days to relax, unwind, and rest up before I have to disembark and return to the "real world." That's a FANTASTIC distribution of days, and I'm sorry that HAL is shortening the length by 1 day (and, thereby, ruining it with one less day in Paradise).

I was on three cruises for 64-65 days each. I was never ready to get off, so I do not know how many days it would take to reach that point. Even when I was not ready to get off, once I was home I was glad to be there, well until the first morning that I had to cook, clean, wash cruise clothes, etc.

I've done several Grand Voyages and one World Cruise. I didn't want to get off. I would stay longer if I could afford it. On these longer trips I have made the comment I'd like an overnite "shore excursion" home. But just overnite.

I've had several cruises in the 30-35 day range, and enjoyed the length very much. The Circle Pacific and Circle South America cruises in the 65-day range have always appealed to me, and I know I would be happy on those itineraries for that long.

The Grand World Cruise does not interest me, but not because of the length. It's the ports, with so many near the Equator, that I don't care for.

We have only cruised w/ small children. Longest was 14 days and was still not ready to get off. I agree 7 days is too short UNLESS you are cruising without highchairs for 2 infants... then 7 days is too long UGH!!! I digress.......

I would guess 30-60 days. We are hoping to book the +30day South Pacific next year with the kids. We have been out of the country with the family for 1.5-2 months and 2 months was pushing the limits for me on land- so likely would be reaching my limits on the ship too I think.

Also have to add....

RuthC-- just wanted to tell you that no matter what you comment.... you always bring a smile to my face seeing your picture next to your name. You look blissfully happy and your remarks are always cordial, informative, and many times funny

:) 20 days seems to suit us best!

It's not that I didn't enjoy being on a ship for 28 days ... but ... but ... but ... :o must admit, I was a bit HOMESICK that last week!

Actually, I'm glad I get HOMESICK after a while! There's nothing wrong with missing family, friends, and normal things at home! :)

I've done several Grand Voyages and one World Cruise. I didn't want to get off. I would stay longer if I could afford it. On these longer trips I have made the comment I'd like an overnite "shore excursion" home. But just overnite.

The problem is should we go home for two weeks or do we do a b/back at home.....hmmmm selfishly we love being on board and love each adventure, but grand children make it essential to spend some time at home. The disease started many many years ago and we have tried everything but alas to no avail. We continue to struggle through this problem "Hope we never get better". we feel blessed . May you all have happy sailing Alsas

First we went from 7 to 10 days

Then from 10 to 14 days

Then we tried 27 days

Last fall we did 65 days

I have still not reached my limit for time on board ... Can't really afford my taste in cruise travel

But what the Hey ... I'll take any length cruise:D

Our longest have been 15 (Panama SF-FFL) and 16 (NZ-Australia) days. They were great. Our next is 11. 10 is our minimum preference. Allows for some ship time along with port time. 7 days are so quick ... feels like you no sooner unpacked and it's time to pack again. With the hassle of flying, might as well make the cruise more worthwhile. Since I'm still working (fortunately!) we can't do much more than 2 weeks but would love to do longer some day. I hope to know sometime what my limit would be???

My longest was 77 days and I think that is just about it although I would be willing to try longer if the cruise was right. I don't think I would want to do anything under a 10 day .... but then if someone offered me a shorter one I am sure I would go. My feeling of sort of let down toward the end of the 77 days may have been due to the fact that I was headed home and the disemarkation port was closer to home than my embarkation port. Anyway ... I think I prefer between 21 days and about 70 days .... if I had my "druthers". Has anyone looked at the world cruise that is over 300 days (and an incredible amount of money?)

Susan

The longest I have ever cruised is 15 days :D I luv to cruise and never get tired of it. When I have more time off, I too will take a grand voyage for 60 or more days!! What an adventure!! Excited just thinking about it!! :D

we are about to do 28 days on the Westy and I'm sure the longer we stay on, the more I will want to do more - so that's why I've added the second ship after that for another 7 days. I could just go on and on lining em up b2b :D

Great quesiton Sails, the longest we've been on is 23 days and still it was not enough for me. So I would have to say I'd love to try a world cruise, but alas, the money would be an issue. We are trying a 33 day cruise next year, and I know I will love it.

Archived