Ncl bermuda fans..i need bermuda on a budget!

LOWTYD

ok who thinks that the Bermudian rum cakes are better than the Tortuga brand...raise your hand.

*RAISES HAND HIGH AND PROUD*

I don't know where, or WHEN the Tortuga brand is made but you can SEE the Bermuda ones being made right before your eyes so even though I haven't had the Totuga, I raise my hand for the Bermuda brand.:D

I don't know where, or WHEN the Tortuga brand is made but you can SEE the Bermuda ones being made right before your eyes so even though I haven't had the Totuga, I raise my hand for the Bermuda brand.:D

i know...and i love how they react to me when i motion to ADD MORE rum.

We thought it was absolutley worth it.....If you like museums, you will

love this place...It gives you the entire history of the island of Bermuda from where it came from to how it became a Military Base,....etc. Besides

the Dolphin Quest is in the grounds of the maritime museum and if you just want to get close enough to see them in action, its FREE>>>>:D

Cool, thanks. I just may check that out! I love learning the history of places I visit.

I would be interested in checking out the beach glass. I did read on the Bermuda board about a beach on that side and thought I would check it out in my travel. Thanks.

I'll be a good girl and leave the food on board. Don't worry!:)

Black Bay is the glass beach and is the second bus stop leaving the Dockyard. It's across from the cemetery. http://www.bermuda.com/maps/

Who has had the coconut? It sound like it would be reealllllllly good.

Do you think the Rum and Ginger would be good for seasickness or would they just cancel each other out:rolleyes:

i think it would have enhanced effects...so drink up!

Who has had the coconut? It sound like it would be reealllllllly good.

Do you think the Rum and Ginger would be good for seasickness or would they just cancel each other out:rolleyes:

The Coconut was my favorite!! I brought two home. Yum!!!

Just returned from Bermuda a few weeks ago. Snorkel park was a big hit with the kids, but do go early since it can get crowded. It may not be the best snorkeling ever, but we saw plenty of fish. Definitely get the transportation passes and don't miss Horshoebay beach! The ferry will offer great sight seeing. Strolling up and down Front Street in Hamilton is nice too. Have fun:)

Just returned from Bermuda a few weeks ago. Snorkel park was a big hit with the kids, but do go early since it can get crowded. It may not be the best snorkeling ever, but we saw plenty of fish. Definitely get the transportation passes and don't miss Horshoebay beach! The ferry will offer great sight seeing. Strolling up and down Front Street in Hamilton is nice too. Have fun:)

Thanks Cruisedave. I guess everything will also depend on the weather too. I will take all this info with me and go with the flow!:)

:DLowtyd, We just got off the Dawn Sunday:( we had the best time on Bermuda it was our 4th time there, we bought the 3 day bus/ferry pass, this is all you will need to get around. It was great, we did no shopping at all, soooo expensive and nothing we really wanted to purchase, we did try the coconut rum cake it is the best flavor but $16 for a teeny tiny cake no thanks.:p We really spent most of our time exploring Horseshoe Bay without a doubt our fave. beach anywhere, St. George's a great little town to visit with an amazing church and graveyard, both are free. We did go to Snorkle Park and were surprised at what a great, fun little beach was about 5 min. from the ship. We did go to Tobacco Bay and we were alittle disappointed with the cleanliness of the water, size of the beach I think it got smaller:o There is sooo much to so with out spending any money we did buy lunches at Horseshoe Bay and it wasn't that bad, $7 for a burger or chicken fingers pretty reasonable. Enjoy your cruise, the shows and the new menus we really loved, the Dawn also on sea days offered 2 for 1 at Impression, Bamboo and Salsa, not a bad deal. Wish I was going again, have a great cruise and just relax and enjoy:p

:DLowtyd, We just got off the Dawn Sunday:( we had the best time on Bermuda it was our 4th time there, we bought the 3 day bus/ferry pass, this is all you will need to get around. It was great, we did no shopping at all, soooo expensive and nothing we really wanted to purchase, we did try the coconut rum cake it is the best flavor but $16 for a teeny tiny cake no thanks.:p We really spent most of our time exploring Horseshoe Bay without a doubt our fave. beach anywhere, St. George's a great little town to visit with an amazing church and graveyard, both are free. We did go to Snorkle Park and were surprised at what a great, fun little beach was about 5 min. from the ship. We did go to Tobacco Bay and we were alittle disappointed with the cleanliness of the water, size of the beach I think it got smaller:o There is sooo much to so with out spending any money we did buy lunches at Horseshoe Bay and it wasn't that bad, $7 for a burger or chicken fingers pretty reasonable. Enjoy your cruise, the shows and the new menus we really loved, the Dawn also on sea days offered 2 for 1 at Impression, Bamboo and Salsa, not a bad deal. Wish I was going again, have a great cruise and just relax and enjoy:p

I remeber Tabacco Bay being small but a great snorkeling spot. Maybe there was storm that churned up the water. Thanks for info on 2 for one dining. Always nice to have an option. Thanks

[quote name='iheartbda'][quote name='ZoneHPH']
I don't know where, or WHEN the Tortuga brand is made but you can SEE the Bermuda ones being made right before your eyes so even though I haven't had the Totuga, I raise my hand for the Bermuda brand.:D[/QUOTE]

Both hand raised high here!

There is a Tortuga Rum Cake factory in the same warehouse complex that my sis has her business in Miami. So much for it being imported.

OP, we did Bermuda on the super cheap. We bought a 2 day pass on Wednesday and took the ferry to St George for the historic reenactment and city tour (all free). We ate in a small supermarket that had prepared food by the pound. DH and I ate for less than $10 with drinks. We avoided the restaurants which were quite pricey; $15 for a burger, no fries.

Thursday we took the #7 bus to Warwick Long Bay (beautiful) and Jobson's Cove (gorgeous). We hopped on the #7 again and hit the Botanical Gardens (free). We picked up a few snacks (bell cheese, sodas, candy bars) relatively cheap. We took the bus to Hamilton, strolled a round, split a bag of chips and took the ferry back where we had a late lunch. Friday we picked up bus passes ($4 instead of $7) to Glass Bottle Beach and picked seaglass for awhile, then took the bus back to Dockyard and did our last minute shopping and exploring. Spent minimal money; actually the least we have while in any port on all of our cruises.

Eat a nice, hearty breakfast and snack lightly while in town to save $$.

[quote name='flowerchild']

Both hand raised high here!

There is a Tortuga Rum Cake factory in the same warehouse complex that my sis has her business in Miami. So much for it being imported.

OP, we did Bermuda on the super cheap. We bought a 2 day pass on Wednesday and took the ferry to St George for the historic reenactment and city tour (all free). We ate in a small supermarket that had prepared food by the pound. DH and I ate for less than $10 with drinks. We avoided the restaurants which were quite pricey; $15 for a burger, no fries.

Thursday we took the #7 bus to Warwick Long Bay (beautiful) and Jobson's Cove (gorgeous). We hopped on the #7 again and hit the Botanical Gardens (free). We picked up a few snacks (bell cheese, sodas, candy bars) relatively cheap. We took the bus to Hamilton, strolled a round, split a bag of chips and took the ferry back where we had a late lunch. Friday we picked up bus passes ($4 instead of $7) to Glass Bottle Beach and picked seaglass for awhile, then took the bus back to Dockyard and did our last minute shopping and exploring. Spent minimal money; actually the least we have while in any port on all of our cruises.

Eat a nice, hearty breakfast and snack lightly while in town to save $$.[/quote]

Tortuga Rum cakes...are they dry?:rolleyes:

Anyway, sounds you know how to do frugal! I didn't know the Botanicals are free! Thanks for the tip.

I neede to go back to my map and check all this out.
Thanks for your input.
I hope others are benefiting from this thread. So far my NCL family has come through! (and anyone else who jumped on to put in their 2 cents!:))
Keep it coming.

[quote name='LOWTYD']Has anyome been to the maritime museum? I love that kind of stuff but is it worth it or just a tourist trap?:confused:[/quote]

I absolutely loved it, but DO not pay for the NCL excursion.Admission to the museum is 12.00, but if you show your room key, you get 2.00 off. We had a ball there, LOVED the history and made a day of it.

We were on a budget when we went in May for our honeymoon, and are still really glad we went.

We did not eat on the island at all. When we get hungry we ate on the ship.

Also, head to a sporting goods store at home and get some refillable insulated water bottles. I see no reason to buy water anywhere! :)

You will have a wonderful time even on a budget!:)

Also, there is the Church Of The Holy Trinity in Hamilton, where you can climb a steep stairway to the bell tower and see a beautiful panoramic view of the island for a small donation.

It was a little panicky for me going up, but it was sooo worth the view! I would do it again. Plus it is a beautiful church!

The people who are working there are really nice as well!

[quote name='melthemadhatter']Also, there is the Church Of The Holy Trinity in Hamilton, where you can climb a steep stairway to the bell tower and see a beautiful panoramic view of the island for a small donation.

It was a little panicky for me going up, but it was sooo worth the view! I would do it again. Plus it is a beautiful church!

The people who are working there are really nice as well![/quote]

Thanks. That sound like like someting I would like. I climed Gibbs Hill Lighthouse ( I thknk that was the name) the last time I was there. I think the church steeple would be cool this time around.:)

We were just in Bermuda last week. We were on the Spirit and arrived on the Sunday. Since no transportation is available after 5 we just did a kayak shore excursion that day. It was awesome but cost $71pp.

We bought the 2 day transportation pass for $20 each. We went to Aquarium and Zoo which were awesome and $12pp. Well worth it. Then we went to the Fantasy Caves. This was $18pp and not worth it in my opinion. The pictures you see of the caves are beautiful and therefore didn't need to see the real thing. We ate at Swizzle Inn that day and got nachos and pizza. We were both completely stuffed and the meal was no more expensive than any regular bar and grill. I agree with a previous poster that said the small order of nachos was more than enough for 2.

The next day we went to Tobacco Bay in St. George's by ferry. I loved this place. It was very secluded, barely any people were there and it was like having your own private beach. Best of all it is free! St. George's is an absolutely beautiful town. I didn't want to leave. We went back to the ship for a late lunch and then headed to Horseshoe Bay. We arrived around 4 and the place was almost deserted by that time. We walked for a very long time and almost had the whole place to ourselves. It was paradise on earth. We wanted to go to West Whale Bay to see the sunset but after our time at Horseshoe we were quite tired.

Basically you can spend around $100 in Bermuda and have an absolutely wonderful time.

I forgot about Snorkel Park. We went first thing when we arrived in Bermuda and did not think it was a very nice place. I guess if you have small children with you that it would be fun but we were travelling without kids and therefore did not think much of it.

Have fun! I wish I could go back ASAP. I can't wait to take the kids to Bermuda.:D

ok here are the prices from Horseshoe Bay's concession stand. (date taken = June 2008) i know this is the main board. sorry if i didn't catch specials or side items. but this should give you an idea. the fish sandwich may be on a regular hamburger sized roll...but the quality of the fish was superb!!! don't let the $8.50 fool you. but then again, we americans are used to overindulgent portion size.

[quote name='ZoneHPH']ok here are the prices from Horseshoe Bay's concession stand. (date taken = June 2008) i know this is the main board. sorry if i didn't catch specials or side items. but this should give you an idea. the fish sandwich may be on a regular hamburger sized roll...but the quality of the fish was superb!!! don't let the $8.50 fool you. but then again, we americans are used to overindulgent portion size.[/quote]

I have seen worse...I think the Fish and Chips looks a little pricy...so I won't be ordering that.....

Archived