Ncl bermuda fans..i need bermuda on a budget!

LOWTYD

[quote name='iheartbda']Thanks Zone,
I couldn't remember any of the prices but this shows that they are not outrageous like so many claim. Good reference for the next time someone crabs.:D[/quote]

i think someone earlier posted prices they paid this year. but again...just a point of reference.

anyone want to see a pic of my wife eating the hot dog from this concession stand? oh wait...nevermind...this is a PG thread.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]There are 38 pages of everything Bermuda, tips and maps here: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen] .[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Screen down once and select Bermuda from the right column and start reading. Very informative.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='ZoneHPH']i think someone earlier posted prices they paid this year. but again...just a point of reference.

anyone want to see a pic of my wife eating the hot dog from this concession stand? oh wait...nevermind...this is a PG thread.[/quote]

I still want to see it:D

[quote name='SailBadtheSinner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]There are 38 pages of everything Bermuda, tips and maps here: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/"][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net/[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen] .[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Screen down once and select Bermuda from the right column and start reading. Very informative.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Great thanks! I saved it on my favorites and will check it out when I get a 3-4 hours!:D

[quote name='ZoneHPH']ok here are the prices from Horseshoe Bay's concession stand. (date taken = June 2008) i know this is the main board. sorry if i didn't catch specials or side items. but this should give you an idea. the fish sandwich may be on a regular hamburger sized roll...but the quality of the fish was superb!!! don't let the $8.50 fool you. but then again, we americans are used to overindulgent portion size.[/quote]

Roadside/beach dining is one thing. Sitting down having a burger and proper pint more to my taste. You do pay for that. Still not as bad as the Hog Penny in Hamilton with a $12.50 minimum charge for lunch excluding drinks.

Swizzle Inn down the road from Horseshoe

Lunch menu

[URL]http://www.swizzleinn.com/Lunch.htm[/URL]

[B][COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans][SIZE=2]English Fish & Chips[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]Golden beer battered cod, served with cole slaw and fries. [/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#e33b33][FONT=GillSans]$15.75[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]The Swizzle Burger[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]The original classic – seasoned all beef burger with crisp bacon, melted [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]Cheddar with lettuce and tomato. [/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#e33b33][FONT=GillSans]$12.75 plus tax[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans] [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='time2cruise1']Roadside/beach dining is one thing. Sitting down having a burger and proper pint more to my taste. You do pay for that. Still not as bad as the Hog Penny in Hamilton with a $12.50 minimum charge for lunch excluding drinks.

Swizzle Inn down the road from Horseshoe

Lunch menu

[URL]http://www.swizzleinn.com/Lunch.htm[/URL]

[B][COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans][SIZE=2]English Fish & Chips[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]Golden beer battered cod, served with cole slaw and fries. [/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#e33b33][FONT=GillSans]$15.75[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]The Swizzle Burger[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]The original classic – seasoned all beef burger with crisp bacon, melted [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3c5036][FONT=GillSans]Cheddar with lettuce and tomato. [/FONT][/COLOR][B][COLOR=#e33b33][FONT=GillSans]$12.75 plus tax[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
[/quote]

you also bring up a good point. it's an expensive place, but i have enjoyed Beach Bar...the last spot along Front Street walking away from the Black Seal store. pricey...but quite good!

[quote name='ZoneHPH']you also bring up a good point. it's an expensive place, but i have enjoyed Beach Bar...the last spot along Front Street walking away from the Black Seal store. pricey...but quite good![/quote]
Hey, I paid around $20 for a crab cake sandwich with a very small portion of either potato salad or cole slaw at Smokey Joe's on Solomon's Island, Md. DH had something cheaper and our lunch bill was over $40.

[quote name='julescruisin']:DLowtyd, We just got off the Dawn Sunday we had the best time on Bermuda it was our 4th time there, we bought the 3 day bus/ferry pass, this is all you will need to get around. It was great, we did no shopping at all, soooo expensive and nothing we really wanted to purchase, we did try the coconut rum cake it is the best flavor but $16 for a teeny tiny cake no thanks. We really spent most of our time exploring Horseshoe Bay without a doubt our fave. beach anywhere, St. George's a great little town to visit with an amazing church and graveyard, both are free. We did go to Snorkle Park and were surprised at what a great, fun little beach was about 5 min. from the ship. We did go to Tobacco Bay and we were alittle disappointed with the cleanliness of the water, size of the beach I think it got smaller There is sooo much to so with out spending any money we did buy lunches at Horseshoe Bay and it wasn't that bad, $7 for a burger or chicken fingers pretty reasonable. Enjoy your cruise, the shows and the new menus we really loved, the Dawn also on sea days offered 2 for 1 at Impression, Bamboo and Salsa, not a bad deal. Wish I was going again, have a great cruise and just relax and enjoy:p[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi I am sailing on the Dawn in Oct :p:D[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]When does NCL offer the 2 for 1 deal on the [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]specialty resturants?? [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks, Sheri[/FONT] ;)

[quote name='lvroberts'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi I am sailing on the Dawn in Oct :p:D[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]When does NCL offer the 2 for 1 deal on the [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]specialty resturants?? [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thanks, Sheri[/FONT] ;)[/quote]

they may or may not offer it. the best bet is to keep your eye on the Freestyle Daily...religiously once onboard.

[quote name='Jersey Native']Take an evening ferry ride around the Hamilton Harbor, or perhaps from King's Wharf to Hamilton and back. The ferries make several interesting stops and the scene is beautiful at night, especially when you can see your ship at dock.[/quote]

That sound like it would a nice evening ride. Thanks for the idea.:)

We just got back on the 14th of Aug. The bus/ferry pass was a great deal. We walked around Front St. in Hamilton. We thought about going into the government buildings but did not get the chance. The capitol grounds are beautiful. There was a small historical museum that has many pieces of early Bermuda history. It was free but we left a couple dollars' donation.

You can do as much or as little as you like. As most have said, the beaches are free if you don't rent or need a big meal. And Bermuda is all about those beautiful beaches.

We could never afford Bermuda as a land based vacation..so we cruised!!
No big purchases on the island and use of ferry and bus pass...made our trip great ! We only ate once on Bermuda..treating ourselves to the local flavor...all other meals on ship...Yes--we did bring granola bars and bottled water when we went exploring..and that was just fine with us..
You can make your trip as inexpensive or extravagent as you wish...just need to plan ahead...
(Lots of good hints on Bermuda port board)

Have fun...it is a beautiful place,,,,,

• 3 months later...
[quote name='LOWTYD']Have any of you tried the Snorkel Park near the Dockyard? I was wondering if it was any good. Seems like a two day bus/ferry pass will suffice if we stay near the Dockayrd for oen of the days. What else is on that side of Bermuda that might be interesting that someone has checked out?

Thanks for all your tips so far.[/quote]

We were there in Sept 09. We considered it but the reviews were not so great. Also, our cab driver advised that the snorkel place was a tourist trap and said no locals go their because they all know the sewer dumps close by.

A great way to go! We have done this 10+ times! Make sure to take advantage of the ferry system! It is better than any sightseeing that the cruise company can offer!
From the waterfront in Hamilton, walk up the hill to the bus station. You can get the exact bus that you need!

Archived