Ncl bermuda fans..i need bermuda on a budget!

LOWTYD

We will be heading off to Bermuda on the Dawn in October. Due to a layoff and cutbacks, we have been pretty tight with the cash flow this year. Cruise is already paid for. What's good to see that is low cost or free in Bermuda? We like to walk around and explore so anything outdoors would be great. Also are there any MUST SEE's that we can budget for?

Thanks NCL Bermuda fans!:)

Other then food, a couple of hats, and the $28 3 day bus and ferry pass, I had no need to spend another penny in Bermuda. If you are creative the buffet can provide enough food to avoid spending the $14 or so for a hamburger on the island. A small soft side cooler could save you a bundle.

Beaches are free for the most part. Umbrellas and chairs if you want them are extra.

Buy bus passes and just plan on doing everything by bus or on foot. We only docked at King's Wharf and took the buses all over the island! One great thing we did was to take the bus to Warwick Long Bay and then walk all the way back down to Horseshoe Bay (don't forget your sunglasses and sunscreen, plus wear shoes!) It took a couple hours, but was very interesting. Much of the way we could just follow the beach and the numerous coves, but sometimes we had to head up the bank and follow a rough trail (I saw some evidence folks on horseback use it)through the grasses, etc. before returning to the seashore. We last did this in November 2005 so hopefully there are no new obstructions along the way. Besides the bus passes and the entrance, snacks, and an entance to a museum or two, we spent very little money that time in Bermuda! We also took the bus to St. George for some great sight-seeing and walking too.

Other then food, a couple of hats, and the $28 3 day bus and ferry pass, I had no need to spend another penny in Bermuda. If you are creative the buffet can provide enough food to avoid spending the $14 or so for a hamburger on the island. A small soft side cooler could save you a bundle.

Beaches are free for the most part. Umbrellas and chairs if you want them are extra.

Just don't put food from the buffet in that soft side cooler and try to take it off the ship in Bermuda. It is a no-no and could lead to confiscation and perhaps a fine. Eat at the buffet before you leave or wait until you return to the ship to eat and you will avoid the high prices you may find in Bermuda's restaurants and pubs. Prices for hamburgers etc at Horseshoe Bay didn't seem extravagant and certainly didn't cost $14. Since we arrived in the Dockyard around 11am on Sunday on the Spirit, we only purchased a two day transportation pass ($20) and spent our first day exploring the shops and other features at King's Wharf.:)

Have any of you tried the Snorkel Park near the Dockyard? I was wondering if it was any good. Seems like a two day bus/ferry pass will suffice if we stay near the Dockayrd for oen of the days. What else is on that side of Bermuda that might be interesting that someone has checked out?

Thanks for all your tips so far.

Other then food, a couple of hats, and the $28 3 day bus and ferry pass, I had no need to spend another penny in Bermuda. If you are creative the buffet can provide enough food to avoid spending the $14 or so for a hamburger on the island.

Skip the burger and drink Swizzles for lunch ;)

Please don't take food off the ship even though people will tell you they've done it. Just because others have done it, doesn't make it ok. Do like negc suggest, and we do as well, eat a hearty breakfast. You can also carry prepackaged crackers, power bars, granola bars, etc.

If you need to buy something when you're absolutely starving, you might be surprised at what you can find. People always complain about the prices at Horseshoe Bay but we didn't find them any more than what you would pay at a vacation place at home. Pub grub at a number of the places can be very reasonable. I had a huge basket of seasoned fries that were excellent at the Swizzle Inn for under $4....I couldn't finish them all.

The 2 day pass may very well be enough if you plan on spending most of one of your days at the Dockyard. There's any number of things to do there. The Rum Cake Factory, lots of samples...yummo, Glass Blowing Studio, Bermuda Clayworks, Craft Market with local artist wares for sale, Maritime Museum and Fort, Bermuda Arts Center, and the Clocktower Mall, not a US type mall.:)

Haven't been to Snorkel Park except to look. Some love it, others say it's not good for snorkeling. There's a good glass beach not far from the Dockyard if you're interested in it.

Please don't take food off the ship even though people will tell you they've done it. Just because others have done it, doesn't make it ok. Do like negc suggest, and we do as well, eat a hearty breakfast. You can also carry prepackaged crackers, power bars, granola bars, etc.

If you need to buy something when you're absolutely starving, you might be surprised at what you can find. People always complain about the prices at Horseshoe Bay but we didn't find them any more than what you would pay at a vacation place at home. Pub grub at a number of the places can be very reasonable. I had a huge basket of seasoned fries that were excellent at the Swizzle Inn for under $4....I couldn't finish them all.

The 2 day pass may very well be enough if you plan on spending most of one of your days at the Dockyard. There's any number of things to do there. The Rum Cake Factory, lots of samples...yummo, Glass Blowing Studio, Bermuda Clayworks, Craft Market with local artist wares for sale, Maritime Museum and Fort, Bermuda Arts Center, and the Clocktower Mall, not a US type mall.:)

Haven't been to Snorkel Park except to look. Some love it, others say it's not good for snorkeling. There's a good glass beach not far from the Dockyard if you're interested in it.

I was thinking that we too would opt for the 2 day bus/ferry pass instead of the 3 day. That is if there are enough things open on Sunday. Are many of these things open? I have read somewhere that most things close somewhat early in Bermuda.

Some of these things are free and some have a charge? Obviously shopping venues are free.....what about the others? TIA

and that 3 day pass includes the ferries too! so that alone is like taking a tour if you ferry from dockyard to hamilton. and you can even make your way to st. georges by ferry!

for cheap eats...i like the hot dog guy outside the clocktower mall in dockyard. also, the rum cake factory at dockyard gives samples of the rum cake...so do your best Costco wholesale club fly by and nibble away. swizzle inn for nachos that can be shared (and those fries). and in hamilton, some of the street vendors sell stuff you can calm the hunger pangs.

horseshoe bay has a great concession stand that i did not feel was extravaggant at all. i took a pic of the prices last year. i'll have to dig it up and post. it may have only changed slightly in prices.

I was thinking that we too would opt for the 2 day bus/ferry pass instead of the 3 day. That is if there are enough things open on Sunday. Are many of these things open? I have read somewhere that most things close somewhat early in Bermuda.

Some of these things are free and some have a charge? Obviously shopping venues are free.....what about the others? TIA

Snorkel Park is free unless you want to rent chairs or umbrellas. The Maritime Museum is $10pp, most of the rest, glass blowers, rum cakes samples, craft market are all free unless you choose to purchase something.

and that 3 day pass includes the ferries too! so that alone is like taking a tour if you ferry from dockyard to hamilton. and you can even make your way to st. georges by ferry!

for cheap eats...i like the hot dog guy outside the clocktower mall in dockyard. also, the rum cake factory at dockyard gives samples of the rum cake...so do your best Costco wholesale club fly by and nibble away. swizzle inn for nachos that can be shared (and those fries). and in hamilton, some of the street vendors sell stuff you can calm the hunger pangs.

horseshoe bay has a great concession stand that i did not feel was extravaggant at all. i took a pic of the prices last year. i'll have to dig it up and post. it may have only changed slightly in prices.

So only the 3 day includes the ferry not a 2? It is probably worth it then because I would like o take a nice ferry ride (I hope it's nice) and check out Hamilton and St. Georges a bit.

And how many time did you frequent the hotdog stand?:rolleyes:

I would be interested in checking out the beach glass. I did read on the Bermuda board about a beach on that side and thought I would check it out in my travel. Thanks.

I'll be a good girl and leave the food on board. Don't worry!:)

So only the 3 day includes the ferry not a 2? It is probably worth it then because I would like o take a nice ferry ride (I hope it's nice) and check out Hamilton and St. Georges a bit.

All passes...1 day, 2 day and 3 day (and longer) include unlimited use on all ferry and bus routes.

Yes the 2-day pass also includes the ferry system.

Check the schedules and you can make your own tours by alternately riding the busses and ferries.

Beaches are free.

Butt-Kicken nachos at the Swizzle Inn and the new Swizzle South Shore are a great value.

We shared the small order (for about 7.95) and found it to be quite filling.

ummm....why? :eek:

believe me...it's officially rated as Bermuda's best hot dog stand. (ok...rated by me...and it's the ONLY hot dog stand i found).

!

for cheap eats...also, the rum cake factory at dockyard gives samples of the rum cake...so do your best Costco wholesale club fly by and nibble away.

They don't GIVE you free samples....they're set out in the open like a BUFFET!!! :D Soda machine close by to wash it all down.:p

Please post. I know we don't consider them a rip off, unlike the 3.5 oz. box of Raisinets at the movie last night for $3.50.

!

for cheap eats...also, the rum cake factory at dockyard gives samples of the rum cake...so do your best Costco wholesale club fly by and nibble away.

They don't GIVE you free samples....they're set out in the open like a BUFFET!!! :D Soda machine close by to wash it all down.:p

Please post. I know we don't consider them a rip off, unlike the 3.5 oz. box of Raisinets at the movie last night for $3.50.

ok ok...so they don't hand out crumbs of rum cake as if it were a scene from Les Miserables. hehehehehehe.

yes they are out for all to partake.

yes i promise iheartbda...for you i shall pull it up.

ok ok...so they don't hand out crumbs of rum cake as if it were a scene from Les Miserables. hehehehehehe.

yes they are out for all to partake.

yes i promise iheartbda...for you i shall pull it up.

UGH! that was the longest play I ever went to!!!! And everyone was miserable.....

Are the rum cakes just all different flavors? Sounds yummy!

Has anyome been to the maritime museum? I love that kind of stuff but is it worth it or just a tourist trap?:confused:

We thought it was absolutley worth it.....If you like museums, you will

love this place...It gives you the entire history of the island of Bermuda from where it came from to how it became a Military Base,....etc. Besides

the Dolphin Quest is in the grounds of the maritime museum and if you just want to get close enough to see them in action, its FREE>>>>:D

Archived