Princess UNFAIR pricing

slotl

We booked a Princess Cruise on the Pacific Princess (26 days) for the Dec 18th sailing. We booked many months ago at a Princress "special" for "any balcony same price as an inside room". Our balcony room costs approximately $4,000 per person based on the DEAL above at the time we booked.

My 93 year old father-in-law received a flyer from Princess offering $1,000 discounts ON OUR CRUISE. We did NOT receive the same flyer. The flyer quotes "outside" rooms for $2,400 pp (way lower than the fare we booked).

We called our TA and we were told that the $2,400 price was ONLY AVAILABLE to the Princess Circle members receiving the flyer (no one else was eligible and it is non-transferable).

This would be a saving of approximately $1,600 pp. BUT WE CANNOT AVAIL ourselves of this price (I believe the promo code was PL7).

We are Platinum (12 cruises) with Princess and find this type of pricing to be UNACCEPTABLE and UNFAIR. We are certainly outside of the 90 day timeframe for pricing changes.

THIS WILL DEFINITELY BE OUR LAST CRUISE ON PRINCESS!!!!!!

We booked a Princess Cruise on the Pacific Princess (26 days) for the Dec 18th sailing. We booked many months ago at a Princress "special" for "any balcony same price as an inside room". Our balcony room costs approximately $4,000 per person based on the DEAL above at the time we booked.

My 93 year old father-in-law received a flyer from Princess offering $1,000 discounts ON OUR CRUISE. We did NOT receive the same flyer. The flyer quotes "outside" rooms for $2,400 pp (way lower than the fare we booked).

We called our TA and we were told that the $2,400 price was ONLY AVAILABLE to the Princess Circle members receiving the flyer (no one else was eligible and it is non-transferable).

This would be a saving of approximately $1,600 pp. BUT WE CANNOT AVAIL ourselves of this price (I believe the promo code was PL7).

We are Platinum (12 cruises) with Princess and find this type of pricing to be UNACCEPTABLE and UNFAIR. We are certainly outside of the 90 day timeframe for pricing changes.

You sure you are not comparing an apple to an orange. You are quoting a balcony while the flyer you speak of is talking about an "outside cabin" An outside partial room is considerably cheaper then a balcony and depending on what class balcony the difference may be larger?

My general observation watching pricing is that the difference between pricing is not as great as you say, generally a couple hundred at max for the rooms I look at; outside view/partial view or inside. I expect slight larger deltas for the higher class cabins but thousands sounds more like you aren't comparing an apple to an apple.

Good luck

We just returned from our second Princess cruise. About a year ago, and approx. 2 1/2 years after our first cruise with them, I received a mailing offerring 1/2 off the pp price for a cruise. My husband and I took advantage of the offer and booked the Ruby Grand Mediterranean cruise which we sailed in July.

None of the other couples that we had traveled with on the first cruise received the offer. My travel agent, who sails Princess frequently, also did NOT receive this offer. When she called Princess, she was told is was a random mailing.

She pushed the point with Princess since she had another cruise booked with them, maybe even more than one, and she was able to get the offer extended to herself. She was able to take advantage of it after putting a little pressure on them.

So, push the point with your travel agent. Nothing is carved in stone.

Good luck, it is only fair, right!

OP-this in no way is unusual, as a Platinum member I would have thought you had heard and read about this for many years. Princess often targets certain captain's circle members for promotions, just as they have promotions targeted to some parts of the country which are not offered to other areas.

I hope you enjoy your cruise, and whatever cruise line you choose to sail on next. ;)

Let's see - I just checked this cruise online and the minimum price I see for a balcony cabin is $4,399, and categories BA and BC are waitlisted.

You didn't say what category your $3,999 cabin was, but are you saying others should cry "unfair" because our price is at least $400 more than yours?

Princess targets people who have not yet booked with specials in order to increase sales and fill the ship. That's just business, and it is specifically targeted at people who do not already have a reservation, not to decrease the margin for booked passengers. We've been the lucky recipients of such an offer in the past, and it is the prime reason we do not discuss price and bargains onboard ship - there is ALWAYS someone who paid more for the same type of cabin, and often those who paid less.

Had your parents already been booked on the same cruise there would be a legitimate argument for you getting a reduction. And your TA made (we assume) a reasonable effort to get you a price reduction, which was excluded by the rules.

There are plenty of offers that occur that are not available to booked passengers - "flash promotions" after final payment being a standout in this area.

It's like buying stock - you buy at a price that is acceptable to you and then accept the fact others may get the same stock at a lower price later.

It sounds like you got a great bargain by today's price for the same cruise and for a balcony cabin. I hope you enjoy it.

Happy cruising, wherever you choose to go.

You sure you are not comparing an apple to an orange. You are quoting a balcony while the flyer you speak of is talking about an "outside cabin" An outside partial room is considerably cheaper then a balcony and depending on what class balcony the difference may be larger?

My general observation watching pricing is that the difference between pricing is not as great as you say, generally a couple hundred at max for the rooms I look at; outside view/partial view or inside. I expect slight larger deltas for the higher class cabins but thousands sounds more like you aren't comparing an apple to an apple.

Good luck

My ORIGINAL booking was for "balcony same price as inside" @ $4,000 for the inside room

This deal is inside $2,300 or outside $2,400 limited availability on balcony.

It is NOT apples to oranges:

1. I originally booked "at same price as inside" - inside prices have dropped, by I am "stuck" with an "old" inside price.

2. I am not "eligible" for the $2,400 price (even if I switched to an outside room and dropped my balcony room) because I am NOT the Member who received the flyer.

I recently went on an Alaska cruise with 6 other friends and we were "choosen" to get a promotion and it was not offered to the other cruisers. We paid half of what we booked. My friends were told that it is a random offering.

Sorry. But it does happen. We are were on our 7th Princess cruise.

Happy Sailing, :D

Princess targets people who have not yet booked with specials in order to increase sales and fill the ship. That's just business, and it is specifically targeted at people who do not already have a reservation, not to decrease the margin for booked passengers.

There are plenty of offers that occur that are not available to booked passengers - "flash promotions" after final payment being a standout in this area.

QUOTE]

I have the BA balcony category (and I fought for that as well). The flyer I received said "ANY BALCONY" and the fine print included the BA category. We got some BS answers that the BA rooms were "capacity controlled", so we booked the room anyway and our TA was able to get the brochure advertised price. It was not easy.

The point you seem to be missing is that we are OUTSIDE of the 90 price freeze. There is NOTHING STOPPING me from cancelling my cruise (giving up my cherished balcony room) and rebooking an outside room at a $1,600/pp savings.....that's another cruise we can go on (or it will pay for our airfare). I cannot do that because I did not receive the flyer my father-in-law did. At 93 years old (widower), he is not going on any more cruises.

If I, as a passenger, uncover better legitimate rates (advertised by Princess), there is NO REASON Princess should deny that advertised price. It IS IN WRITING, SENT OUT BY THEM!!

I too, just this week had the same problem. 6 of us are traveling together in Jan 2010. 4 of us are past passengers. we booked about a week ago. Yesterday I logged in and found that prices dropped for me. so I called the TA.. I got the reduction, my friend did in other cabin,,but not my mother..in the 3rd cabin..way to crazy...i called and they said basically...sorry too bad!..they used to over-ride the computer, but now are unable,,got out of control..sad part about it,,is that one passanger is a new cruiser and gets the discount from piggyback off other past pass...and my mom a past pass cant get a discount....really unfair..but maybe since it is months away,,,she will too get a reduction mailing...

I remember that fight you went through for that 'any balcony' promotion. ;)

But if I am remembering correctly, you thought you were getting a great deal then, that is why you fought for it so hard.

Just remember that there can be 50 passengers staying in the same category stateroom, and if you took a poll, you would find dozens of different prices that were paid for the same accomodations.

I realize you are angry about this, as you did win the fight the first time. But you really need to realize, that doesn't always happen. If you weren't targeted for the promotion, you are not going to get it this time.

Thankfully, you are inside the cancellation window and if you don't agree with Princess price practices with promotions, you can always cancel and find another cruise line for your next voyage.

Please don't misunderstand, I really do know where you are coming from on this. But I could not believe you won that battle the first time over that balcony, and felt you were very lucky then. Winning twice with one of these battles would be a record. ;)

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do on this one. :)

Princess targets people who have not yet booked with specials in order to increase sales and fill the ship. That's just business, and it is specifically targeted at people who do not already have a reservation, not to decrease the margin for booked passengers.

QUOTE]

I have the BA balcony category (and I fought for that as well). The flyer I received said "ANY BALCONY" and the fine print included the BA category. We got some BS answers that the BA rooms were "capacity controlled", so we booked the room anyway and our TA was able to get the brochure advertised price. It was not easy.

The point you seem to be missing is that we are OUTSIDE of the 90 price freeze. There is NOTHING STOPPING me from cancelling my cruise (giving up my cherished balcony room) and rebooking an outside room at a $1,600/pp savings.....that's another cruise we can go on (or it will pay for our airfare). I cannot do that because I did not receive the flyer my father-in-law did. At 93 years old (widower), he is not going on any more cruises.

If I, as a passenger, uncover better legitimate rates (advertised by Princess), there is NO REASON Princess should deny that advertised price. It IS IN WRITING, SENT OUT BY THEM!!

If your TA won't go to bat for you cancel and get a new TA and rebook.

Ron

Sorry, here is where I differ.

You felt the price was fair when you paid what you did for the cruise, yet because someone else got a better deal, now the price you received is unfair?

Any travel where there is a finite amount of space..airlines, hotel rooms or cruise ships, the vendor is going to do what they can do to maximize the amount of money they can earn for the product at the same time knowing they have to fill all of the rooms before it sails. So they are going to do what they can to make this occur, including select offers to make it happen.

The only thing you can worry about is your price, do you feel its something you are comfortable paying at the time of booking. What others pay is pretty much irrelevant to whether its fair or not.

I am guessing there is someone who was bumped from another cruise who is probably traveling in a mini-suite for free on your cruise. Is that fair?

My ORIGINAL booking was for "balcony same price as inside" @ $4,000 for the inside room

1. I originally booked "at same price as inside" - inside prices have dropped, by I am "stuck" with an "old" inside price.

2. I am not "eligible" for the $2,400 price (even if I switched to an outside room and dropped my balcony room) because I am NOT the Member who received the flyer.

1. There are no balconies available; guarantee only.

2. You can still cancel your balcony and book an outside. Plenty of those available. Maybe not for $2400, but definitely for $2700. And I do assume you have a TA who will discount heavily. Correct?

Sorry, here is where I differ.

You felt the price was fair when you paid what you did for the cruise, yet because someone else got a better deal, now the price you received is unfair?

I agree with georoc01

If you think Princess pricing is unfair, just ask the persons sitting around you on your next flight what they paid for their seat.:eek:

Mike:)

But not to YOU!

This is a very common marketing practice. If you're not liking it, then you have to exercise you options.

I too, just this week had the same problem. 6 of us are traveling together in Jan 2010. 4 of us are past passengers. we booked about a week ago. Yesterday I logged in and found that prices dropped for me. so I called the TA.. I got the reduction, my friend did in other cabin,,but not my mother..in the 3rd cabin..way to crazy...i called and they said basically...sorry too bad!..they used to over-ride the computer, but now are unable,,got out of control..sad part about it,,is that one passanger is a new cruiser and gets the discount from piggyback off other past pass...and my mom a past pass cant get a discount....really unfair..but maybe since it is months away,,,she will too get a reduction mailing...

Put your mother in the cabin with you (discount!) Put your husband in the 3rd cabin (also discount!)

Switch cabins at the check in desk at embarkation! - Easy Peasy!

I realize that business is business - but I also think Princess pricing is very unfair to it's loyal clients.

I always check prices with other of my friend's pricing- As an Elite with over 35 cruises - sometimes I do NOT get the best price!

I agree here. The new price promotion was a targeted promotion, and not an adverstised promotion for everyone. Even if you found the promo in your mailbox that was delivered by error with someone elses name and captain's circle number on it, you would not have been able to benefit from it as it wasn't your name or your captain's circle number.

When you booked your balcony deal sometime ago, they are normally sold as 'what the inside price was offered at the time of the promotion'. Are you saying you now think you should only have to pay the reduced rate they are charging for an inside for your balcony stateroom you booked 6 or more months ago under the old promotion you received? Or am I reading this incorrectly?

Don't complain! We in the UK (and Australia too, I believe) never get any promotions or special deals e-mailed to us, Captain's Circle or no Captain's Circle. Our Travel Agents don't give us on board credits, bottles of wine or anything else. We book at the advertised prices though UK travel agents, and I believe pay more than you do. The only way we can get round this is to book through a US travel agent - we have done this, but sometimes that's too difficult.

Princess UK is a totally different organisation, but once we are actually on the cruise it's a different story, and we thoroughly enjoy the cruises, the company and everything else.

Archived