Princess UNFAIR pricing

slotl

Wow I sure don't travel on the cheap side of things. I am usually a solo traveler so my 150% or more supplemental rate for for a cabin/room/whatever sure is helping out whatever company I am traveling with. Thanks should go to me because I am sure that someone else is reaping the rewards of having to pay a bit lower for their fare because of me. Also there is no way I can travel "off season" since I am a teacher and my breaks come with the major holidays attached. However, I do not complain about my having to pay extra because it is my choice to travel rather than having regrets when I am old. My elite status will come because "I have earned it" not because it was given to me by "cheap" fares.

I am pretty sure he was speaking in generalities for one, and for another there are many people who DO fit the mold that he described. I don't think this was targeted at you, no need for a defensive response. At least I don't think.

"I have earned it" not because it was given to me by "cheap" fares.

To the best of my knowledge (could be wrong) people earn the money to take a vacation but any perks are given as in gift. That which is given can be easily change or be taken away. Unless we all can hurriedly book the B2B for R&R during off season, the only perk some will get 'not earn' after 15 cruises is a thank you for sailing Princess. Since I sail for the experience not the perks, a thank you note, is perfectly fine with me.

BTW, if you can travel during President's week, there a lots of great deals out there verses March/April Spring break. I am a budget traveler so I dream of the cheap or cheaper deals.

I am pretty sure he was speaking in generalities for one, and for another there are many people who DO fit the mold that he described. I don't think this was targeted at you, no need for a defensive response. At least I don't think.

Thank you, I was speaking in general. I think it's great to be able to take the deal and travel during a less expensive time. Just saying give the darn company a break when the deal doesn't apply to you. I would consider my entire cruising experience before dumping a line because I did not get the best deal or move on quietly. After all I did not promise to remain faithful and forsake the decks of all other lines. Ok, I am a promiscuous cruiser because I enjoy the decks of many lines. I would say cruise wh0re but that sounds so unladylike :-)Odd, some of the elite members are forever complaining about the ME generation. Me, me, me is bad until they, they , they don't get ALL the best deals. We know that get some or should get a new TA:eek:

FR BOB,

Have you signed up on princess.com to receive the e-mail specials? If not, you might want to do this.

Yes, I'm signed up to receive email offers....mail offers...telephone offers... and personally delivered offers. Still waiting after all these years. :(

Yes, I'm signed up to receive email offers....mail offers...telephone offers... and personally delivered offers. Still waiting after all these years. :(

I am signed up and I DO get many "deals" via the internet or thru the mail.

The mailings that I refer to are going to people who haven't cruised Princess in a while (like my 93 year old father-in-law). The marketing idea is to give deals to passengers who haven't cruised in a while to LURE them BACK to Princess.

To Hell with their elite travelers. The Marketing Deptartment "assumes" we will "continue" to be "loyal" regardless of the price. I am currently Platinum and a few nights away from the 150 nights for elite. We take longer cruises on Princess not the "cheaper" commodity cruises to Alaska or the Caribbean.

Note to Marketing at Princess: Don't count on my "loyality" to Princess, especially on the long distance exotic cruises. I also like Azamara and HAL. Then there is Celebrity and Oceania (which I have not tried yet). FAIR Pricing is an ISSUE for me.

We take longer cruises on Princess not the "cheaper" commodity cruises to Alaska or the Caribbean.

Do you do this because you are rich or because you are retired with time to take advantage of off season deals? Crusing is about timing. Doing it at the right time to almost anywhere and you can save a fortune.

My 93 year old father-in-law received a flyer from Princess offering $1,000 discounts ON OUR CRUISE. We did NOT receive the same flyer. The flyer quotes "outside" rooms for $2,400 pp (way lower than the fare we booked).

The important thing to note on the flyer is the small star that it is based on one sailing date. Was it your sailing date? I know you say his flyer was your cruise but is it really the same date? Our cruise in October was a 2-for-1 and it was based only on the date we are going. After the expiration date the price indeed doubled so we saw it really was a 2-for-1 sale. My sister and I rarely receive the same pricing from Princess offerings online. I have always gotten the better pricing for some odd reason but won't complain. So double check his flyer.

I am signed up and I DO get many "deals" via the internet or thru the mail.

The mailings that I refer to are going to people who haven't cruised Princess in a while (like my 93 year old father-in-law). The marketing idea is to give deals to passengers who haven't cruised in a while to LURE them BACK to Princess.

To Hell with their elite travelers. The Marketing Deptartment "assumes" we will "continue" to be "loyal" regardless of the price. I am currently Platinum and a few nights away from the 150 nights for elite. We take longer cruises on Princess not the "cheaper" commodity cruises to Alaska or the Caribbean.

Note to Marketing at Princess: Don't count on my "loyality" to Princess, especially on the long distance exotic cruises. I also like Azamara and HAL. Then there is Celebrity and Oceania (which I have not tried yet). FAIR Pricing is an ISSUE for me.

$150 per night for a balcony cabin, especially the balcony cabin you want, on the cruise you have booked seems fair. Don't you think? When you factor in free laundry, free dry cleaning, free internet, free mini bar, and all of the other extras that come with your cruise, it looks like Princess is doing right by you. Princess seems to have a great loyalty program that just is not good enough for some of its customers. Some won't be totally happy unless they can bump non-elite passengers in anytime dining or are otherwise treated better in every way than other passengers. Everyone should do what is best for them. This is cruise critic and you are entitled to your criticism of Princess' pricing.

Many elite travelers got to that status because they can travel during the cheaper times. Others stay loyal because of the perks they are given. They bleed the industry dry because many have seen all the ports already, so no ship sponsored excursions. They have all the photos they care to buy, and they aren't heavy drinkers because alcohol interferes with some medication (mine too). Many of you have gotten to the elites status not because you are rich (if so why mass market) but because of the deal you have gotten, paying next to nothing (so to speak) off season fares. For what you pay for your mini-suite off season, that's the price for an inside cabin during the holidays.
Where on earth do you get these ideas? I paid high prices for the cruises leading up to my Elite status. I have rarely booked a cruise because I got a great deal (only one I can think of was the Regal HI cruise shortly after 9/11 when I got a GREAT price) but rather consider an itinerary and then look for the best deal I can, not to mention that I paid "single" price for most which means I'm paying 150 - 200% more per person for every cruise. I was working up until three years ago (two full-time jobs at the same time) and no, I'm not rich. I do NOT "bleed the industry dry" and I rarely drink alcohol because that's my choice and has nothing to do with medications. I got to Elite status only after they changed the rule from 15 completed cruises to either 150 days or 15 completed cruises. When that happened, I was well over the number of days but far short of the number of cruises. There were people who'd taken many shorter cruises who were Elite long before I was. Believe me, I paid dearly for that status.

$150 per night for a balcony cabin, especially the balcony cabin you want, on the cruise you have booked seems fair. Don't you think? When you factor in free laundry, free dry cleaning, free internet, free mini bar, and all of the other extras that come with your cruise, it looks like Princess is doing right by you. Princess seems to have a great loyalty program that just is not good enough for some of its customers. Some won't be totally happy unless they can bump non-elite passengers in anytime dining or are otherwise treated better in every way than other passengers. Everyone should do what is best for them. This is cruise critic and you are entitled to your criticism of Princess' pricing.

I DON'T GET FREE LAUNDRY OR FREE DRY CLEANING OR FREE MINI BAR. I am Platinum, NOT ELITE yet.

Cruisnagain: This is the ONLY cruise to our destination. Dec 18th on the Pacific Princess from Papeete to Ft. Lauderdale (26 days). There is NO asterisk, there is NO OTHER TIME this itinerary is offered.

Kooljamming: I booked this cruise when the FIRST brochure was published. Early fares are "best" (until 120 days prior to the cruise where the prices drop to fill the ship).

Any passenger should be able to take advange of published prices until the 90 day must pay deadline.

Any passenger should be able to take advange of published prices until the 90 day must pay deadline.
The problem is that sometimes, a different price is published and supercedes previous pricing. If you don't see the new pricing and Princess won't honor the old pricing, then they have you over a barrel. :(

Where on earth do you get these ideas? I paid high prices for the cruises leading up to my Elite status. I have rarely booked a cruise because I got a great deal (only one I can think of was the Regal HI cruise shortly after 9/11 when I got a GREAT price) but rather consider an itinerary and then look for the best deal I can, not to mention that I paid "single" price for most which means I'm paying 150 - 200% more per person for every cruise. I was working up until three years ago (two full-time jobs) and no, I'm not rich. I do NOT "bleed the industry dry" and I rarely drink alcohol because that's my choice and has nothing to do with medications. I got to Elite status only after they changed the rule from 15 completed cruises to either 150 days or 15 completed cruises. When that happened, I was well over the number of days but far short of the number of cruises. There were people who'd taken many shorter cruises who were Elite long before I was. Believe me, I paid dearly for that status.

Why so defensive, I did not say ALL. Well, from cheap cruises dot com, a god TA, 15 years of cruising or booking cruise for relatives, the offers I get from Princess and discussion I have with friends. There is a difference between many, some and ALL. If a post does not apply to YOU why respond. I think one paid dearly for the cruises, the status was given....correct? I can post cruise rates here to back up my claim. If I hit a nerve, then I am sorry. For those who can travel during the cheaper times, go for it. Plus you won't have to put up with me or my kids :-)

Why so defensive, I did not say ALL. Well, from cheap cruises dot com, a god TA, 15 years of cruising or booking cruise for relatives, the offers I get from Princess and discussion I have with friends. There is a difference between many, some and ALL. If a post don't apply to YOU why respond. I think one paid dearly for the cruises, the status was given....correct? I can post cruise rates here to back up my claim. If I hit a nerve, then I am sorry.
The reason being that many of the people I cruise with are Elite and they do the same thing I do. I have yet to personally come across anyone who fits your description of "many." I'm sure they exist but I haven't met them nor have I cruised with them. IMHO, your description applies to a FEW, not MANY.

NO! NO! NO!

The new prices are NOT published to everyone-only to a targeted audience. Businesses do this all the time it's called MARKETING. Either live with it or find another cruise.

Where on earth do you get these ideas? I paid high prices for the cruises leading up to my Elite status. I have rarely booked a cruise because I got a great deal (only one I can think of was the Regal HI cruise shortly after 9/11 when I got a GREAT price) but rather consider an itinerary and then look for the best deal I can, not to mention that I paid "single" price for most which means I'm paying 150 - 200% more per person for every cruise. I was working up until three years ago (two full-time jobs at the same time) and no, I'm not rich. I do NOT "bleed the industry dry" and I rarely drink alcohol because that's my choice and has nothing to do with medications. I got to Elite status only after they changed the rule from 15 completed cruises to either 150 days or 15 completed cruises. When that happened, I was well over the number of days but far short of the number of cruises. There were people who'd taken many shorter cruises who were Elite long before I was. Believe me, I paid dearly for that status.

You go girl!

I agree, we don't cruise on the cheap whatsoever. We travel during non peak times to avoid the hords or unsupervised children during peak cruising times (our choice, but it has nothing to do with pricing). We actually retired, but now own our own business so we can book better than the cheap seats.

When our kids were little, we couldn't afford to cruise and so we did not, horray for those with younger kids that are able to afford it in these bad economical times. You can't sterotype everyone into a couple of categories in this one, to do so just ticks off many KJ! (and just a hint here, you might want to start proof reading some of your posts, many are not making a bit of sense anymore). ;)

I DON'T GET FREE LAUNDRY OR FREE DRY CLEANING OR FREE MINI BAR. I am Platinum, NOT ELITE yet.

Cruisnagain: This is the ONLY cruise to our destination. Dec 18th on the Pacific Princess from Papeete to Ft. Lauderdale (26 days). There is NO asterisk, there is NO OTHER TIME this itinerary is offered.

Kooljamming: I booked this cruise when the FIRST brochure was published. Early fares are "best" (until 120 days prior to the cruise where the prices drop to fill the ship).

Tell that to Europeans who populate these boards who cannot even benefit from price drops. Your complaint with targeted marketing seems a bit one-sided. I'm sure that many people on the cruises I go on are getting better prices for the same level of cabin just as you may be getting a price for your cabin than others who may actually have cruised more than you. I don't get worked about it. They may have a better travel agent or may have benefited from targeted marketing. That's just the way it goes.

Tell that to Europeans who populate these boards who cannot even benefit from price drops. Your complaint with targeted marketing seems a bit one-sided. I'm sure that many people on the cruises I go on are getting better prices for the same level of cabin just as you may be getting a price for your cabin than others who may actually have cruised more than you. I don't get worked about it. They may have a better travel agent or may have benefited from targeted marketing. That's just the way it goes.
One reason they don't benefit is that their laws might not permit similar targeted marketing.

I'm not saying which way is better, but having a small chance of being one of the lucky ones is better than having no chance at all. :)

We were excluded from a promotional pricing deal that would have saved us well over $1,000 a few years ago, but got even this summer when we were eligible for a massive re-fare opportunity that saved us much more than that compared to our original pricing.

I agree with you 100%. We received a targeted mailing from the President of Princess Cruises for a 2 for 1 cruise of the British Isles last year and we replied the very same day, only to be told the deal was "sold out". Very poor marketing in my opinion.

We wouldn't have enjoyed the cruise having to pay nearly $2,000 more than the 2 for 1 promo, so we booked a Royal Caribbean cruise instead to a different destination and had a great time.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal for the British Isles for next Summer and if the right deal comes along we'll book it, otherwise we'll either go somewhere else or we may take a land tour if that's more cost effective.

We aren't fixated on Princess, although we enjoy their cruises, price is important, along with destination, age of ship, depature port, etc.

Fully understand your point of view, If it's before final payment you should get the best deal that is being offered and you are aware of, unless the deal is only being offered to Princess's best customers.

If more people decided not to book or cancelled their bookings, Princess might get the message.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal for the British Isles for next Summer and if the right deal comes along we'll book it, otherwise we'll either go somewhere else or we may take a land tour if that's more cost effective.

We took a FANTASTIC cruise around the British Isles on the HAL Prinsendam. HAL does a British Isles cruise each year.

I just checked the cruise schedule and the Westerdam has a 12 night Aug 2, 2010. The Prinsendam has a 14 night on Aug 28, 2010. You can back to back these cruises with Baltics.

Enjoy. It was a GREAT cruise to a great location.

Obiviously the offer was mailed only to previous passengers over the age of 90 ;)

Nope my mother never got one! :rolleyes: However I do get offers at least once a month and in March booked the Star for November. Since then prices have continued to fall and the TA has go me the new price every time and retained all the OBCs. I have now paid in full so I will now hide and not look at the blow out sales I know will probably occur near sailing.

You go girl!

I agree, we don't cruise on the cheap whatsoever. We travel during non peak times to avoid the hords or unsupervised children during peak cruising times (our choice, but it has nothing to do with pricing). We actually retired, but now own our own business so we can book better than the cheap seats.

When our kids were little, we couldn't afford to cruise and so we did not, horray for those with younger kids that are able to afford it in these bad economical times. You can't sterotype everyone into a couple of categories in this one, to do so just ticks off many KJ! (and just a hint here, you might want to start proof reading some of your posts, many are not making a bit of sense anymore). ;)

Thank you so much for your reasonable answer Toto. I can't wait until retirement to avoid cruising with children. I love children (well most of them) but not so fond of them during my vacations. I need the break!

Pam.......I am so with you. I don't cruise because of price but for the ports.

:mad: Your scenario sounded a little too familiar to me. I just booked a European cruise on the Ruby for June 2010. My brother who has taken the exact same Princess cuises as I, at the exact same time, in the exact same cabin type (mini suite) has received an e-mail with promotional codes for pricing that would save me more than $1200.00 - only they won't allow me to take advantage of it. This is particularly frustrating because my brother would not even be taking this cruise if I hadn't suggested it and likewise, he wouldn't have been on the European Emerald Princess cruise we just got off if it wasn't for me needling him to go! What loyalty?

Not even my TA can help. MY TA is even more surprised than I.:mad:

:mad: Your scenario sounded a little too familiar to me. I just booked a European cruise on the Ruby for June 2010. My brother who has taken the exact same Princess cuises as I, at the exact same time, in the exact same cabin type (mini suite) has received an e-mail with promotional codes for pricing that would save me more than $1200.00 - only they won't allow me to take advantage of it. This is particularly frustrating because my brother would not even be taking this cruise if I hadn't suggested it and likewise, he wouldn't have been on the European Emerald Princess cruise we just got off if it wasn't for me needling him to go! What loyalty?

Not even my TA can help. MY TA is even more surprised than I.:mad:

Why not have your bother book two cabins (one for you and one for him) under his promotion? I've read where other's on this board have been able to do that.

Archived