Princess UNFAIR pricing

slotl

Booking the two room thing usually works great - I have done it before myself. The only problem is that it only works when there are two people in the same room that have received the same promotion (usually a husband and wife) and they seperate for purposes of the booking discount claiming that each party with the promotion will be staying in rooms with other people and then once onboard switch back! I feel as though I didn't explain that very well but in this case my brother is the only one who received the promotion and so he cannot seperate into two rooms. :cool: But...thanks for the suggestion - I appreciate the thought! ;)

:D Ok - Now I have to take back all the nasty things I said about the lack of loyalty at Princess. A full two days after both my TA and I independently begged Princess to honor the discount they afforded to my brother to my booking (only to be met with refusal), someone from Princess contacted my TA and said that they had "changed their mind" and that they would offer the discount to my booking as well!

:) Oh Happy Day! :)

:D Ok - Now I have to take back all the nasty things I said about the lack of loyalty at Princess. A full two days after both my TA and I independently begged Princess to honor the discount they afforded to my brother to my booking (only to be met with refusal), someone from Princess contacted my TA and said that they had "changed their mind" and that they would offer the discount to my booking as well!

:) Oh Happy Day! :)

Congrats. Persistence paid off.

We booked a Princess Cruise on the Pacific Princess (26 days) for the Dec 18th sailing. We booked many months ago at a Princress "special" for "any balcony same price as an inside room". Our balcony room costs approximately $4,000 per person based on the DEAL above at the time we booked.

My 93 year old father-in-law received a flyer from Princess offering $1,000 discounts ON OUR CRUISE. We did NOT receive the same flyer. The flyer quotes "outside" rooms for $2,400 pp (way lower than the fare we booked).

We called our TA and we were told that the $2,400 price was ONLY AVAILABLE to the Princess Circle members receiving the flyer (no one else was eligible and it is non-transferable).

This would be a saving of approximately $1,600 pp. BUT WE CANNOT AVAIL ourselves of this price (I believe the promo code was PL7).

We are Platinum (12 cruises) with Princess and find this type of pricing to be UNACCEPTABLE and UNFAIR. We are certainly outside of the 90 day timeframe for pricing changes.

THIS WILL DEFINITELY BE OUR LAST CRUISE ON PRINCESS!!!!!!

I feel your pain and frustration, but in the interest of full disclosure there are a few things to clear up here.

First, the PL7 fare basis applies only to inside and outside cabins, not balconies. The comparable non-targeted fare for an outside today would be about $700 more pp, not $1600.

Second, the concept of a published fare vs an unpublished fare is pretty well fleshed out in the travel industry - you'll see many specials with are not valid on unpublished fares. A fare which is communicated to an exclusive group is not a published fare. If a local merchant wrote me a letter offering an exclusive on a product to entice me back to his store and you opened my mail, you would have no legal right to demand the offer from the merchant. In law terms it may also be considered the difference between an "offer" and an "invitation to treat."

Third, to think that you were originally given an offer with a fare basis that included an upgrade to a balcony, entitles you to an upgrade to a balcony on a newer fare (and hence your $1600 pp savings) boggles the mind. That's like buying a car that includes $1000 cash back, and then while waiting for delivery a new offer comes through for 0% financing, and demand you receive both.

They are two distinct offers on two distinct fare basis-es. (What the heck is the plural of basis?!!)

Recently my sister got a mailed promo for my cruise .Quite a considerable reduction to my price .I called Princess ...did get it thru my PVP and help of supervisor although clearly stated it was for her exclusive use .Now I got one she likes but does not include my cruise If I can I will return the favour!!!

Princess randomly selects to send these promos ...I asked why .....She has not been back on Princess since 2007 so they keep writing to her .I go every year I guess no need to try and hook me ...I'm hooked already

I really like dealing directly with Princess and my PVP .They have always been great !! Also my PVP with Carnival ...he helped me choose my Guarantee cabins ..I did not know he could do that and it was a good one ....

Michele

[The point you seem to be missing is that we are OUTSIDE of the 90 price freeze. There is NOTHING STOPPING me from cancelling my cruise (giving up my cherished balcony room) and rebooking an outside room at a $1,600/pp savings.....that's another cruise we can go on (or it will pay for our airfare). I cannot do that because I did not receive the flyer my father-in-law did. At 93 years old (widower), he is not going on any more cruises.

This very thing happened to us for our Alaska cruise this past July. We had booked our room and then the 2 for 1 offers came out to SELECT past guests. My TA tried several times to get the offer and they kept telling her no dice. I finally called Princess myself and managed to get through to a supervisor in Customer Relations. It took me about 1/2 hr of talking, but in the end, the supervisor added the 2for1 code to our profile and the next day our TA was able to call back and get the price of the cruise refared. We saved about $1500.

So if you're willing to give up that balcony and go to an outside as the offer states, then call up a supervisor and start talking. Be very nice, keep your cool and calmly state what you want. At that point we had only one cruise on Princess under our belts but we're definitely going to keep sailing Princess.

In fact we now have done our Alaska cruise, booked another while onboard and are planning another for 2012 as well. I also told the Supervisor those intentions when I was talking to her. Not sure if that helped things, but she made a happy customer out of me for sure.

Don't blame it on just Princess, all the lines do it. It's called Marketing.

I have NEVER had the problem on HAL or Azamara. I have always gotten the price quoted in a brochure I received after I booked.

Princess seems to be the ONLY cruise line (which I travel), which has these "marketing" pricing policies.

Very simply..........after I visit Easter Island on this cruise (Princess is the only cruise line which goes there, HAL did it on their Grand cruises but stopped a few years ago), this will be my LAST on Princess. I've had enough. The comments on this board made by others experiencing the same situation enforces (to me) that Princess is not customer-friendly as far as pricing.

Enough is enough!!! They may call it "marketing". I call it a rip-off. :mad:

BTW, the PL7 "deal" did include balcony rooms (limited availability). I was willing to give up my balcony room for an outside room, it would save approximately $1,600 pp (enough for another cruise).

I have NEVER had the problem on HAL or Azamara. I have always gotten the price quoted in a brochure I received after I booked.
I'm sure you did, Lois. Did you also receive the price quoted in a brochure your father-in-law (or someone else not traveling with you) received but you did not?

BTW, the PL7 "deal" did include balcony rooms (limited availability). I was willing to give up my balcony room for an outside room, it would save approximately $1,600 pp (enough for another cruise).
Did the brochure state a price for the balcony? I'll wager it didn't - it had the inside and outside price and just limited availabilty under the balcony and mini suite. That's because the PL7 offer has no rate for the Balcony and Mini-Suite, but they will give you the lowest available at booking. PL7 is tagged for inside and outside only, I'm sorry. It's very clear in the system.

Truthfully though, I do understand how these thing can get to us - it's happened to me too. And it's happened to me on other lines so I don't think you can get away from it, you can just be unaware of it because you don't see offers sent to other people on those lines.

I know you're very happy with HAL, but if you're close to Elite, don't let this sour you on Princess - you'll be cutting off your note to spite your face like a spoiled teenager. Elite benefits make Princess grand - and this from a man who has loved every HAL trip he's taken. (The word is Bathtub, and I wish other lines would learn it!)

Lastly, don't let this whole hot mess spoil what promises to be a great cruise. Easter Island - I'm jealous! Enjoy!

Mike

I remember that fight you went through for that 'any balcony' promotion. ;)

But if I am remembering correctly, you thought you were getting a great deal then, that is why you fought for it so hard.

Just remember that there can be 50 passengers staying in the same category stateroom, and if you took a poll, you would find dozens of different prices that were paid for the same accomodations.

I realize you are angry about this, as you did win the fight the first time. But you really need to realize, that doesn't always happen. If you weren't targeted for the promotion, you are not going to get it this time.

Thankfully, you are inside the cancellation window and if you don't agree with Princess price practices with promotions, you can always cancel and find another cruise line for your next voyage.

Please don't misunderstand, I really do know where you are coming from on this. But I could not believe you won that battle the first time over that balcony, and felt you were very lucky then. Winning twice with one of these battles would be a record. ;)

Best of luck in whatever you choose to do on this one. :)

And the whirl begins again........... pardon for me for expressing myself but everytime you have a battle with princess it should be between yourself and princess, sharing your personal win/loss ratio is not something we are all particularly interested in, or impressed by ....take this as you may. The main purpose of this forum is to assist cruisers from novice to expert, but this is in no way productive or helpful to the average cruiser who does not understand princess marketing and selling practices. Throwing your weight around and bragging about it is just not something productive to others.

Many elite travelers got to that status because they can travel during the cheaper times. Others stay loyal because of the perks they are given. They bleed the industry dry because many have seen all the ports already, so no ship sponsored excursions. They have all the photos they care to buy, and they aren't heavy drinkers because alcohol interferes with some medication (mine too). Many of you have gotten to the elites status not because you are rich (if so why mass market) but because of the deal you have gotten, paying next to nothing (so to speak) off season fares. For what you pay for your mini-suite off season, that's the price for an inside cabin during the holiday

Not sure what reality you are from but this is not the case for MOST Elite cruisers. At least the ones I know and myself. Heck - due to a school schedule, I seem to have sailed a lot over Christmas and Thanksgiving and these were minisuites or higher cabins. All of my friends earned their elite the expensive, long way.

And the whirl begins again........... pardon for me for expressing myself but everytime you have a battle with princess it should be between yourself and princess, sharing your personal win/loss ratio is not something we are all particularly interested in, or impressed by ....take this as you may. The main purpose of this forum is to assist cruisers from novice to expert, but this is in no way productive or helpful to the average cruiser who does not understand princess marketing and selling practices. Throwing your weight around and bragging about it is just not something productive to others.

cacy, Did I miss something here or was there a reason you quoted my post with this reply? You have me very confused, unless this was because I said I remembered when the OP posted about her fight for her balcony promotion?????

Not sure what reality you are from but this is not the case for MOST Elite cruisers. At least the ones I know and myself. Heck - due to a school schedule, I seem to have sailed a lot over Christmas and Thanksgiving and these were minisuites or higher cabins. All of my friends earned their elite the expensive, long way.

I thought there was a difference between MANY and MOST. MOST indicates a majority, something I wasn't thinking about when I used the term MANY. I think we can all agree on a FEW. If this isn't about you, why bother respond to it. Sorry if the mere mention of the word elite placed it in your corner. Obviously all elites aren't created equally....JMOP

Oh yeah, you can no longer see this post:D:)

If your travel agent will not call Princess for you again, you call them.

Before slamming them for being mean...talk to them...

If they wont refund the difference, then ask for on-board-credit...with 4 of you on that long of a cruise i bet you could use it up...and then settle up at the end :D

Amy

Shameful...Shameful...Shameful

Loyalty can be a burden, not a blessing to this industry

Many elite travelers got to that status because they can travel during the cheaper times. Others stay loyal because of the perks they are given. They bleed the industry dry because many have seen all the ports already, so no ship sponsored excursions. They have all the photos they care to buy, and they aren't heavy drinkers because alcohol interferes with some medication (mine too). Many of you have gotten to the elites status not because you are rich (if so why mass market) but because of the deal you have gotten, paying next to nothing (so to speak) off season fares. For what you pay for your mini-suite off season, that's the price for an inside cabin during the holidays. I am not a cheerleader but I do believe in giving Cesar what's due.. With extra time I could become an elite member by the end of the year. Kind Princess has offered me Mexico (7 nights) for as low as $349, One, two or three day Costal starting at $29. I can do this not because I am rich but because it's cheaper than staying home. Yep right when the kids are heading back to school. It's about time some of you give the company a break that has given you so many off season deals...JMOP

So are you saying you can't take these less expensive cruises because it's when the kids are in school? and those of us that do are taking advantage of Princess and all the benefits we get because we can travel during off season??

and just for the record I started cruising 30 years ago when I was younger than your daughter. We paid A LOT more money for cruises way back then than anyone does now...so I've definately EARNED my Elite benefits the long hard

way...

Also on side note regarding Princess DISCOUNT offers...

my DH who has sailed once with Princess consistently gets better offers than I do. My mom who is in her 70's and has 1 Princess sailing less than me gets better rates than I do.

So are you saying you can't take these less expensive cruises because it's when the kids are in school? and those of us that do are taking advantage of Princess and all the benefits we get because we can travel during off season??

and just for the record I started cruising 30 years ago when I was younger than your daughter. We paid A LOT more money for cruises way back then than anyone does now...so I've definately EARNED my Elite benefits the long hard

way...

Also on side note regarding Princess DISCOUNT offers...

my DH who has sailed once with Princess consistently gets better offers than I do. My mom who is in her 70's and has 1 Princess sailing less than me gets better rates than I do.

No, I can't and though I like cruising I prefer land vacations. With limited vacation time, I would still pass on some deals. If there was a way to donate my cruise credits, since they won't ever amount to much, I would. I was able to donate the coupons I could not use. Princess is a business, for every deal I have to pass on, I hope someone can take it. Here is one that I can't take but honestly pray, many out there can enjoy it, 14-day Caribbean Calypso starting at $1,300, balcony $1,800. Based on sheer principle I should do the Mexican Riviera 7 nights for $349. Before someone flame me, I am not pulling the kids out of school. Not sure I won't lock them in the house with bread and water....just kidding! My first cruise was 15 years ago with RCCL. My wish is to be able to take advantage of these offers if possible, knowing there might be a time when I need to cruise and they won't be there.

I have nothing against deal, not on a vacation , not at Walmart!

BTW...wish I had your mom. My mom kept telling us I gave you life, isn't that enough. Yet, ever so often she threatened to take it away, with I take you into this world I can take you out. Believe me, she tried and not so long ago:eek:

Enough is enough!!! They may call it "marketing". I call it a rip-off. from the OP

We all have pet peeves/issues that we feel strongly about. If this is yours, your only option is to vote with your dollars. Most/many :) can put it into perspective that:

1. you once were very happy with your deal

2. your case does not quite fit what was advertised in the promo

3. you did not personally receive the targetted promo

It would annoy many/most but they would get over it and move on. Which is what I hope you can do. but if you carry the negative thoughts with you when you travel, you probably will end up spoiling your own trip. So please make your peace with the issue in a way that will make you happy.

Enough is enough!!! They may call it "marketing". I call it a rip-off. from the OP

We all have pet peeves/issues that we feel strongly about. If this is yours, your only option is to vote with your dollars. Most/many :) can put it into perspective that:

1. you once were very happy with your deal

2. your case does not quite fit what was advertised in the promo

3. you did not personally receive the targetted promo

It would annoy many/most but they would get over it and move on. Which is what I hope you can do. but if you carry the negative thoughts with you when you travel, you probably will end up spoiling your own trip. So please make your peace with the issue in a way that will make you happy.

Yeah, which is it, many or most;):)

off topic: I have seen such strong reaction to a general term (many, some, few) , since my friend told me some people liked way too much cream in their coffee. Then she had to explain since now of us were coffee drinkers. I still do not know what she meant by 'some' people:D

BTW...wish I had your mom. My mom kept telling us I gave you life, isn't that enough. Yet, ever so often she threatened to take it away, with I take you into this world I can take you out. Believe me, she tried and not so long ago:eek:

and this is pertinent to what?

If there was a way to donate my cruise credits, since they won't ever amount to much, I would. I was able to donate the coupons I could not use. :

Consider donating to the "Make a Wish Foundation"? They accept all unused frequent flyer miles, hotel and car points or anything else used in travel. Some airlines and hotels will "match" your donation.

This is an excellent charity and does quite a bit for sick children and their families.

Also, save up your shampoo, conditioner, hand cream, shaver, toothbrush that you may receive in a hotel. I donate them to a homeless shelter.

Archived