Fog in Galveston

DALE 2001

A friend of mine told me that his buddy was stuck on conquest for nine hours trying to get into the port of galveston. The fog was so thick they had to wait. I went to weather underground website and pulled up galvestons history for jan 24th to the 31st and noticed they do get fog. Should i book our flight out of houston a day later.

Ths dave

We were delayed by heavy fog returning to Galveston on our December 2006 Conquest cruise. The earliest anyone got off the ship was 1pm. We got off around 2:30. We were not in a hurry because we were driving but some people in our group missed their flights that afternoon. I think they got out of Houston that night though. So I definitely would not book a flight earlier than mid-afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Conquest January 4-11, 2009. We stayed in Galveston the night before the cruise, got up early & went to breakfast. Noticed the fog was really heavy. Sure enough no ships in port. We were in group #1 & it think it was around 5:00 when we boarded. No problems at all when we returned.

Many were not happy about the situation but Carnival has no control over the port being closed due to fog. We made the best of it. Walked around for an hour or so then decided if we were going to have to wait in long lines it was better to be at the front. We were given box lunches around 3-4 (not sure if everyone got those or just the ones waiting in the terminal). We were all given a $15 credit on S&S. Everyone had open seating that night since many were not on board yet for first seating. Since we had 2 sea days before our first port, we had made up the time by then.

Fog had started to roll in before we sailed & there was talk that we might not leave until the morning but we left around 8:00 & had no problems. I highly recommend this cruise in January. We woke up to beautiful weather the next morning - warm all week but not hot.

Now you've got me worried!

We sail out on Jan 23rd on the Ecstasy.

We were delayed returning to Galveston on Dec 9th 2007. Similar situation, I think we finally got of the Conquest at around 2 or so. Missed our flight home, but thankfully we always get Insurance! We were able to get our flights switched to the next day and the Insurance company reimbursed us for our hotel and expenses that night.

YES if you have an extra day book your flight for the next day. On my conquest cruise we were to dock at 7am, we finally got of the ship at 2:30 in the afternoon. There were lots of people very angry about changing flights and making other plans. Some of them had changed their flights 3 times because the only thing that we were told was that we were fogged in but it shouldn't be too long. Save yourself the trouble and if you have time fly out the next day.

Now you've got me worried!

We sail out on Jan 23rd on the Ecstasy.

We were delayed returning to Galveston on Dec 9th 2007. Similar situation, I think we finally got of the Conquest at around 2 or so. Missed our flight home, but thankfully we always get Insurance! We were able to get our flights switched to the next day and the Insurance company reimbursed us for our hotel and expenses that night.

Hey Ricko! Quite an experience for us all! I don't think we got out of Galveston until about 6pm that evening. Of course we didn't have to worry about a flight like you did. We did run into an ice storm in Oklahoma trying to get our daughter back to college. Got held up in Paul's Valley, Okla. Our DD had finals the next morning! Needless to say, she didn't make it. Thank goodness she had some understanding college professors!

Just book your flight for later afternoon, early evening. You'll be fine!! Enjoy your time on the Ecstasy...she's a great ship! :) Great to see you are hooked on cruising! We need to plan a cruise together again!

Fog does occur, but rarely. It all depends on weather. It is impossible to forecast what will cause foggy conditions. We had more fog conditions six years ago than in recent years.

Anyone traveling anywhere should take weather into consideration and allow enough travel time for unexpected delays.

More flights are delayed out of Houston due to weather conditions in other parts of the country than here.

Enjoy your vacation and always have a contingency plan. Delays can ocur at any time, anywhere.

Shouldn't be an issue at that time - you are well into spring at that point.

Our last Caribbean sailing for the season this year (April) was delayed by fog. It was the second time that year that the Voyager and Conquest had been delayed. I know the Ecstasy was delayed several times this winter/spring because of fog. The Christmas cruise on the ecstasy didn't leave until around 2am. Brutal day.

On two out of three cruises out of Galveston we were delayed getting on the ship till about 5pm. Which was really hard because we are early birds. They kept trying to send us away and have us go get lunch, but I kept thinking it will be any time now. Both of these where at the end of January. However, we had no problem getting of the boat. We were off around 8am and home by 9am.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the fog situation at the end of March, begenning of April?

Thanks. :cool:

We did the Easter cruise on the Ecstasy this year. We got back April 13, and didn't get into port until almost 1:00 due to fog. Combine that with the crew's 90 day immigration check, and we didn't get home until after 5, and we live less than an hour and a half away.

We stayed out to sea, two extra days and visited an extra port-of-call (Costa Maya) in 2005 because The Port of Galveston was closed due to Hurricane Rita. Of course my cousins, along with hundreds of other people, missed their flights and had to make new arrangements, but those were the best two days we had the whole cruise.

Archived