Capt Larry Tour times??

emsachs

Am new to Alaska cruising and need some help with an excusion we want to do.

We are booked on HAL Volendam June 15, 2005.

We want to go whale watching with Capt Larry.

We are in Juneau from 2:30pm-10:30pm on June 17.

I saw that Capt Larry tours start at 3:30pm.

Does this give us enough time to make it from the ship to the tour???

What happens if we dock late???

I also saw that there is a 6pm- 9:30 tour but advance reservation are required? Is this better??

Is there enough time to do either tour???

Is there an advantage to doing the afternoon or evening??

We are travelling with senior citizens and don't want to have to have them run to make the tour or get back to the ship.

Thanks for everyones help in advance.

No problem with either one. Just be certain to state what ship you are on when making the reservation. Times are sometimes adjusted depending on port times. If taking the last sailing- they will most likely shuttle you directly to the ship. Their office is walkable without limitations depending on dock location- some are a much longer walk, but usually those ships offer shuttles. Myself, I am booking a back to back whale watch with Orca Enterprises for my trip in May, which I had done once before. Just an excellent tour.

Capt Larry's office has been on a 9a.m.-3p.m. (Alaska time) schedule on Monday-Wednesday and Friday so if you try to contact them at their 800 number it's best to try on one of those days when Pam or one of the others is in the office. They will be going "off" that schedule soon but not sure when..

Your time is fine as long as you dock in Juneau. We tendered in Juneau when on the Radiance of the Sea and also had an afternoon time in Juneau. It was raining that day and everyone with tours were let off in the first tenders and it seemed to take what seemed like forever to me to get a tender and get off in Juneau.

I spoke to Capt. Larry yesterday and the 2005 time slots are different from what was on the website. We ended up with a 2:30pm slot (we get in at noon). Call them for information and they will either call back or email you. I was amazed that I got to speak to the Capt. directly!

• 3 weeks later...

We booked w/Capt.Larry for May 9 - Pam said we are the first of the 2005 cruise season to arrive in Juneau -(We are on the Sapphire Princess - 6AM to 2PM)

The Diamond will arrive in Juneau at 12 noon -

It will be neat to see the 2 "sister ships alongside one another!

Pam arranged for a 9AM Whale Watching with Capt. Larry as the skipper.

I forgot to ask and hope someone can answer the following:

1. Will pick up and return be at the Ship (dock) ?

2. The tour is 3 1/2 hrs. Does this include transfer time? or just the time on the boat?

3. What happens if weather conditions are such that the trip has to be cancelled?...and does this happen often??

4. What should we bring? I'm guessing binoculars & rain ponchos? andy other tips??

I could call back and bother Pam - but I'm sure a cruise critic veteran will have the answers. :D

Thanks!

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

We booked w/Capt.Larry for May 9 - Pam said we are the first of the 2005 cruise season to arrive in Juneau -(We are on the Sapphire Princess - 6AM to 2PM)

The Diamond will arrive in Juneau at 12 noon -

It will be neat to see the 2 "sister ships alongside one another!

Pam arranged for a 9AM Whale Watching with Capt. Larry as the skipper.

I forgot to ask and hope someone can answer the following:

1. Will pick up and return be at the Ship (dock) ?

2. The tour is 3 1/2 hrs. Does this include transfer time? or just the time on the boat?

3. What happens if weather conditions are such that the trip has to be cancelled?...and does this happen often??

4. What should we bring? I'm guessing binoculars & rain ponchos? andy other tips??

I could call back and bother Pam - but I'm sure a cruise critic veteran will have the answers. :D

Thanks!

GotToCruise (aka Renee)

You will meet at their office which is across from the Mt, Roberts tram, they will shuttle you back and forth from that location. It is the total tour time- usually- 20 mins. shuttle each way.

Archived