Question..

We have sailed Carnival and NCL, NCL last year. On NCL in the dining room they have bar waiters to take your drink orders. When we have sailed Carnival in the past they also have bar waiters to take your drink order. We are sailing RCL in Feb. and were told that your waiters are responsible for your drink orders also. ( So basically your drink may get there half way during dinner or maybe not at all. ) Advice bring your drink with you. (There is a wine steward available.) My question is has Carnival gotten rid of the bar waiters in the dining room also? I think it will be a hassle to get a drink and bring it into the dining room. Just wondering as we haven't sailed Carnival in a couple of years and are looking at a few nice cruises

I have found that the dining room bar waiters suck! It is not a hassle to bring your own drink......why would it be?

I agree, especially on the larger ships. We always have a problem finding the dining room bar waiters.

I have found that the dining room bar waiters suck!

Wow...I had the opposite experience on my last two cruises. I was on the Freedom and the Valor during spring break both times. On the Freedom, I had the soda card, so I ordered a soda the first night. On each of the following nights, the bar waiter had my soda waiting for me.

Last year on the Valor, we had an excellent bar waitress that was at our table within 2 or 3 minutes of sitting down at the table. Some nights drinks were ordered, others nothing was ordered. But she was always around.

Last four CCL cruises we never had a problem in the DR. We always had fantastic Bar service.(Glory x2, Sensation and The Pride) :) We got drinks every night at dinner and most nights at least 2 each as well as my kids getting drinks with their soda cards. But maybe that is why we got great service!

Interesting replies. We have had varied service levels as well (not that we tend to drink anything other than wine in the MDR and usually by the bottle but occasionally go for a cocktail or just a glass of wine. Our experience is that they tend to hover near the repeat customers (nightly drinks etc.) and one or two fly bys to everyone else.

Depends on the wait staff ... and in my experience ... what you order your first night. My sister ordered drinks with dinner as well as dessert on our first night two cruises ago and our bar waittress usually made two stops by our table -- at the start of dinner and before dessert every night. On our last cruise, we walked in with our drinks for dinner and then didn't see the bar waiter the rest of service. The next night, I more or less had to have the waiter tackle him and send him over for drinks but he never came around again at dessert time. Go figure.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. We have always had such great service on Carnival and NCL I was just wondering if that was the norm. We do like a cocktail with dinner sometimes, and other times we order wine. I just don't want to have to plan to go look at the menu to decide before dinner if we would like a bottle of wine with dinner or a cocktail, and then go to the lounge and order a drink or try to tackle a waiter to order a bottle of wine. We do travel with a group of people and I think that having to decide before you get to the DR if we are ordering wine or not is inconvenient. Not a big deal just wondering. ;)

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. We have always had such great service on Carnival and NCL I was just wondering if that was the norm. We do like a cocktail with dinner sometimes' date=' and other times we order wine. I just don't want to have to plan to go look at the menu to decide before dinner if we would like a bottle of wine with dinner or a cocktail, and then go to the lounge and order a drink or try to tackle a waiter to order a bottle of wine. We do travel with a group of people and I think that having to decide before you get to the DR if we are ordering wine or not is inconvenient. Not a big deal just wondering. ;)[/color']

It should not be a big deal either. My advice would be if you run into it would be mention it to your head waiter or the Maitre'd. It will be fixed.

Archived