Is this typical Carnival customer service?

djneph

Did you not say that you have not sailed with Carnival before???? How is it that you are a past guest then???

I ment I have never booked with Carnival. I sailed once with them right after 9/11 when they were giving away cruises because no one was flying (I lived in Miami). My friend booked everything, I just gave him the money.

I ment I have never booked with Carnival. I sailed once with them right after 9/11 when they were giving away cruises because no one was flying (I lived in Miami). My friend booked everything, I just gave him the money.

The issue here is that you are now within the penalty phase. That changes everything. You are essentially asking for an upgrade which they are willing to do but in the process you will be required to pay the higher fee for the cabin you are requesting. There are no free upgrade promotions for your sailing. If you were not within the penalty phase you could simply cancel and rebook using whatever promotion is available but in this case you would still be in the same issue since the past guest upgrade sale is not being offered for your sailing.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm sorry that you weren't aware that Carnival does not let you upgrade your cabin without additional costs once you are in the penalty phase. They started enforcing that policy last year.

After looking at this more closely, I agree with the OP's thinking on this and am confused by Carnival's response.

I would call back and speak with someone else. While I understand that the policy does not permit price adjustments after final payment (unless you book ES), I understand that upgrades are available at the current rate. Since the current rate is LESS than what OP paid (see below), I cant understand what is keeping them from getting the cabin they want.

OP, Here is why:

You paid $689, minus the $100 credit= $589.

The current rate for past guest is (with the currently available upgrade) $559.

They should either adjust your rate to $589 without the OBC or keep it at $689 with the OBC since that equals your previous deal AND is higher than the current available rate.

You are not eligible to get your fare reduced, even though it is less than what you paid, but I see no reason they can't fulfill your request. I wonder if they are missing your Past Guest number and are charging you based on the fun select rate ($689)???

You are essentially asking for an upgrade which they are willing to do but in the process you will be required to pay the higher fee for the cabin you are requesting.

That is the point- the fee for the cabin she is requesting is NOT higher. It is in fact lower. Carnival has a long history or upgrading to the cabin that matches what you paid, even after the new ES fares have been rolled out. Do they not?

When I booked my rate was $689pp +$100OBCpp cash back with a free upgrade to an 8F.

Currently, if you book a cruise today with Carnival they have a rate of $559pp with a free upgrade to an 8E. It is not a new booking promo it is the past guest rate (Its been at this price for three days with the free upgrade to an 8E.)

I am in an 8C, but would like to move to an 8E.

So what is Carnival's policy about switching cabins after final payment? Is it that you must pay the current available rate? Also, what does "current rate" mean, is it the rate for that category before any free upgrades?

I guess my confusion is with what they mean by current rate? Because currently if you book an 8A for $559 you get a a free upgrade to an 8E, so to me the rate for an 8E is $559. Now looking at things differenlty, I guess thats not what they mean by current rate. I was confusing current rate with current free upgrade included rate.

Lesson learned and knowing is half the battle.

once booked after final payment there is no downgrading. While the cabin you want is an upgrade the price is a downgrade.

If you were to take the upgraded cabin at the price you booked I don't know why they would be giving you a hard time about it.

Bill

Sorry to beat a dead horse guys.

I can be a little slow sometimes... just so I understand things correctly. Look up Carnival Valor 9/27/09 and tell me what the current rate for an 8E is (i qualify for pass guest).

Is the current rate Carnival is referring to:

$559 (past guest with 8a free upgrade to 8e)

$629 (past guest for 8e)

$689 (fun select for 8a free upgrade to 8f)

$759 (fun select for 8e)

According to them if I switch to an 8e I have to give up my promo rate beause my rate code is no longer available (understandable - new rate no OBC fine with me) and pay current rates. Which they say means, I must keep the rate I paid of $689(8c), but give up my $100OBC. Thats where my confusion is about 'current rate'. What is the current rate for an 8e.

I may be confused, as I often am, but I am reading this differently than most of the other folks commenting.

I am understanding you to say that you wish to change cabins.

You were told that in order to change cabins you would be charged the current rate.

The current rate for new bookings is less than what you originally paid.

Carnival says that you must continue at the higher priced original rate plus not receive the onboard credit that was part of the original deal.

And ultimately you will be out $100 to switch cabins?

I may be crazy, but to me it sounds like Carnival is combining different rates in their favor...

The only way I can see this working out to benefit the OP is to upgrade to a suite, and be willing to give up the OBC. ,,, if the suite prices were close to what they paid, the $659 or whatever rate.

.... the problem for the OP is still that the cash back offer is no longer offered, plus because they are in penalty phase they cant get a price reduction, only a upgrade for the difference.

I can see how some of you and the OP are thinking, but they wouldnt upgrade you to a higher category and keep the OBC, others have also lost it and been on here upset they were not warned in advance. Thats why to me the only solution that might work is if the suites are the price OP paid for their balcony, or some higher category.

The issue here is that you are now within the penalty phase. That changes everything. You are essentially asking for an upgrade which they are willing to do but in the process you will be required to pay the higher fee for the cabin you are requesting. There are no free upgrade promotions for your sailing. If you were not within the penalty phase you could simply cancel and rebook using whatever promotion is available but in this case you would still be in the same issue since the past guest upgrade sale is not being offered for your sailing.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm sorry that you weren't aware that Carnival does not let you upgrade your cabin without additional costs once you are in the penalty phase. They started enforcing that policy last year.

Thank you for clearing this up for me too. I was really confused. The words PENALTY PHASE really stood out. You explained it well.:) Sorry if i missed it before, if any of you had it in your posts in this thread.

To the OP sounds like you still are willing to have a great time and I hope you do.:D Happy Cruisin.

The only way I can see this working out to benefit the OP is to upgrade to a suite, and be willing to give up the OBC. ,,, if the suite prices were close to what they paid, the $659 or whatever rate.

.... the problem for the OP is still that the cash back offer is no longer offered, plus because they are in penalty phase they cant get a price reduction, only a upgrade for the difference.

I can see how some of you and the OP are thinking, but they wouldnt upgrade you to a higher category and keep the OBC, others have also lost it and been on here upset they were not warned in advance. Thats why to me the only solution that might work is if the suites are the price OP paid for their balcony, or some higher category.

But, she is not asking for a price reduction. Here is the rub with the way Carnival is handling this-

by keeping her rate at $689 and losing the OBC, she winds up paying more than the original rate AND more than the current rate. Why would it be any different if she upgraded further???

But, she is not asking for a price reduction. Here is the rub with the way Carnival is handling this-

by keeping her rate at $689 and losing the OBC, she winds up paying more than the original rate AND more than the current rate. Why would it be any different if she upgraded further???

I have given up trying to make sense of it. In the end, any balcony on a cruise is better than being home. Only reason for the move was my favorite part about sailing out of Miami is seing Miami Beach as we sail out(I lived in Miami all my life until two years ago). I know I can see it from the top decks (normally do), but just thought it would be nice to see it from my private balcony.

Like others have said, my room is actually a better room, deck 7 mid ship, less roll, less noise, closer to everything. I am sure if I had moved rooms someone would take my room in a heart beat. I just found the situation a little odd. In the end the cruise will still be great and I will still have a balcony (my first time in a balcony) so life can't get much better than that on those 7 days. I will have my traditional sail-away Miami Vice and forget about the stupid little policies Carnival corporate office (and every cruiseline has those odd little dumb policies) has, in the end its not about the PVP department, its about the cruise and the vacation.

BY the way the OP is a HE :)

-Steve

I have given up trying to make sense of it. In the end, any balcony on a cruise is better than being home. Only reason for the move was my favorite part about sailing out of Miami is seing Miami Beach as we sail out(I lived in Miami all my life until two years ago). I know I can see it from the top decks (normally do), but just thought it would be nice to see it from my private balcony.

Like others have said, my room is actually a better room, deck 7 mid ship, less roll, less noise, closer to everything. I am sure if I had moved rooms someone would take my room in a heart beat. I just found the situation a little odd. In the end the cruise will still be great and I will still have a balcony (my first time in a balcony) so life can't get much better than that on those 7 days. I will have my traditional sail-away Miami Vice and forget about the stupid little policies Carnival corporate office (and every cruiseline has those odd little dumb policies) has, in the end its not about the PVP department, its about the cruise and the vacation.

BY the way the OP is a HE :)

-Steve

How can they not know that your a he, you have a blue collar on your kitty.:p:D

... but she is on one rate code, and wants to use another rate code that now offers a free upgrade, but doesnt offer cash back. Thats the rub with changing from one rate code to another.

Had they been booked early saver, then they could have done what you suggest ... the beauty of early saver, but the fare code for the triple play she is booked on has many restrictions that are the catch 22 here.

OP glad you are still happy, its wasnt much of a upgrade.

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with my PVP and I was a little suprised by the outcome. First off, a little background on me. I worked for RCI for 5 years in various customer service roles in Miami. I have sailed RCI so many times and I love RCI ships and service, but am sure I was a little biased because I used to work for the company and sailed for free. Anyhow.

Not that I am a regular paying guests, like any consumer you want to make sure you are getting the best deal. So when looking for my first cruise, since leaving RCI (I moved to Texas) I decided to look at all lines because RCI doesn't pay my bills anymore, so no reason to have blind loyalty to them anymore. For Sept. the price difference was amazing for a Balcony room: 7-night on Valor $689pp (w/ $100 OBC pp) with free upgrade from 8A to 8F and on RCI cheapest was Liberty $969. For a difference of (after OBC) of almost $400pp. That is a big difference, so I decided to give Carnival a chance. So I booked.

When I booked, I did not like the 8F's available (I don't like the Spa deck, looks like Camp Carnival is above it), and the only 8E's available were on deck 9 by the elevators, so I didnt like that. In the end I went with an 8C on deck 7-mid ship starboard.

Well today I noticed that an 8E became available on deck 10-Port and I liked the location. I called my PVP to change rooms. She said since it may cost more, because I would have to go by current rate and I said well technically my rate provided me free upgrade to an 8F. She acknowledge that and said she would check with her supervisor to see if the move can be made (since technically we are in penalty). She came back and said he supervisor said we could make the switch, but we would have to pay current rates and we would loose our OBC. I said great that's fine, because currently as a past guest you get a free upgrade to an 8E and the rate is $559, so techincally its cheaper. She spoke with her supervisor and she said her supervisor said, no, they would move me to the 8E and I would keep my current rate of $689, but I would loose my $100/pp OBC. I was like WOW you are kidding. He supervisor said my promo wasn't available anymore, so they couldn't give me the OBC, but would let me switch and keep my rate.

Is it just me or is this just wrong? I didn't care about getting it for the current rate of $559, I just wanted them to move me to deck 10 and leave me at $689+100OBC/pp. She said they couln't do either. I would have to keep my rate of $689 but give up the $100 OBC.

In the end, it's not going to ruin my cruise. I will still sail and have a great time, but it kinda leaves me wondering, is this the kind of service I can expect from Carnival. I know at RCI we would not have done something like this, they would have just moved me to the 8E. Anyone else think this is crappy? Part of me wants to cancel this cruise and book on RCI, but at Royal rates, I'd just be cutting off my nose to spite my face. In the end I will just suck it up and sail... I will have a great time and enjoy my vacation. However, I will reconsider my cruise in March (was thinking of sailing Carnival again) and probably go with Royal (unless the price on Carnival is so cheap again). Sorry had to vent. I'm sure I will get flamed for this post.

I understand what you are upset about but Carnival does have very strict rules on their many promotions. Is it worth a fight to the death to make happen? That's for you to decide. As mentioned above, try calling again and see what someone else might say. If you don't mind taking the time to tell your story over and over to different people you might get lucky. Go eat some candy, talk to a preacher, pet the dog or whatever you have to do to get in the very sweetest and kindest mood you can first though. an attitude on the phone with Carnival will get you nowhere fast. I think they invented attitudes there sometimes although they probably call it a Funitude.

Royal Caribbean is much easier to deal with, part of that whole "it costs more" thing that comes up. It would not be unfair to say that Carnival is a bit tight with the money but then they are the most popular cruise line in the world and got there by providing great value.

Looks like you got one heck of a value there anyway; enjoy it! Be proud of yourself for making the buy; you did good. Now forget about that and concentrate on more important stuff like booze smuggling...not that anyone here would know anything about that :rolleyes:

Guest nhrich

Regardless of the promotions involved, since your cruise is just over a month away, unless you booked an Early Saver Rate, you are not eligible for a price reduction. Prior to your final payment date, you could have gotten it, if it was available.

Would someone post a link to Carnival's policy on changes once final payment date is past? I cannot find it and am not terribly interested in searching for the OP.

Why are you so lazy all of a sudden? :confused:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the help. The reason for my post was not to say Carnival is a horrible evil company that clubs baby seals, it was just to make sure what was being told to me was accurate and within policy. In the end it was my fault for forgetting my years at RCI and remembering that PVP/CVP don't know it all.

When I booked I had the option to book a Triple Play rate of $689+100OBC+Free Upgrade to 8F or Past Guest Rate of $589+Free upgrade to 8C. When I booked the 8C available I did not like, so I took an 8D ( I did not like what 8E and 8F where available). A couple days later a good 8C (the one I am in now became available) and I switched to that room.

Looking back, had I taken the resident rate, I would be in a better position now, because they would probably just move me up to the 8F at my current rate and there would be no OBC to worry about.

I understand the situation that I am in. My rate is $689+100OBC+Upgrade and the current rate is $559+Upgrade. The OBC is tied to my room rate, change room - loose rate - loose OBC and since carnival does not give price reduction after penalty if I switch to new rate, I will get the room for $559+free upgrade except they won't refund the difference. Thats why its called being in PENALTY! In this case it really hurts because I loose my OBC too.

Oh well, lesson learned, no big deal. Every company is different and does things we do and do not like. In end this experience will not stop me from booking another Carnival cruise (provided I like my experience on this ship).

Last 12/1/08 is when Carnival stopped giving refunds or OBC if the price dropped (RCL still gives rate reductions until you cruise). Only with ES rate can you get a rate reduction past final payment, and thats what is tripping you up....

Cant say I like this new rule either.

Regardless of the promotions involved, since your cruise is just over a month away, unless you booked an Early Saver Rate, you are not eligible for a price reduction. Prior to your final payment date, you could have gotten it, if it was available.

that was stated more than once. and more than once it was pointed out that the OP is not asking for a price reduction. :rolleyes:

Archived