Is this typical Carnival customer service?

djneph

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with my PVP and I was a little suprised by the outcome. First off, a little background on me. I worked for RCI for 5 years in various customer service roles in Miami. I have sailed RCI so many times and I love RCI ships and service, but am sure I was a little biased because I used to work for the company and sailed for free. Anyhow.

Not that I am a regular paying guests, like any consumer you want to make sure you are getting the best deal. So when looking for my first cruise, since leaving RCI (I moved to Texas) I decided to look at all lines because RCI doesn't pay my bills anymore, so no reason to have blind loyalty to them anymore. For Sept. the price difference was amazing for a Balcony room: 7-night on Valor $689pp (w/ $100 OBC pp) with free upgrade from 8A to 8F and on RCI cheapest was Liberty $969. For a difference of (after OBC) of almost $400pp. That is a big difference, so I decided to give Carnival a chance. So I booked.

When I booked, I did not like the 8F's available (I don't like the Spa deck, looks like Camp Carnival is above it), and the only 8E's available were on deck 9 by the elevators, so I didnt like that. In the end I went with an 8C on deck 7-mid ship starboard.

Well today I noticed that an 8E became available on deck 10-Port and I liked the location. I called my PVP to change rooms. She said since it may cost more, because I would have to go by current rate and I said well technically my rate provided me free upgrade to an 8F. She acknowledge that and said she would check with her supervisor to see if the move can be made (since technically we are in penalty). She came back and said he supervisor said we could make the switch, but we would have to pay current rates and we would loose our OBC. I said great that's fine, because currently as a past guest you get a free upgrade to an 8E and the rate is $559, so techincally its cheaper. She spoke with her supervisor and she said her supervisor said, no, they would move me to the 8E and I would keep my current rate of $689, but I would loose my $100/pp OBC. I was like WOW you are kidding. He supervisor said my promo wasn't available anymore, so they couldn't give me the OBC, but would let me switch and keep my rate.

Is it just me or is this just wrong? I didn't care about getting it for the current rate of $559, I just wanted them to move me to deck 10 and leave me at $689+100OBC/pp. She said they couln't do either. I would have to keep my rate of $689 but give up the $100 OBC.

In the end, it's not going to ruin my cruise. I will still sail and have a great time, but it kinda leaves me wondering, is this the kind of service I can expect from Carnival. I know at RCI we would not have done something like this, they would have just moved me to the 8E. Anyone else think this is crappy? Part of me wants to cancel this cruise and book on RCI, but at Royal rates, I'd just be cutting off my nose to spite my face. In the end I will just suck it up and sail... I will have a great time and enjoy my vacation. However, I will reconsider my cruise in March (was thinking of sailing Carnival again) and probably go with Royal (unless the price on Carnival is so cheap again). Sorry had to vent. I'm sure I will get flamed for this post.

To me that actually sounds about right. You chose a 8A with a free upgrade to an 8F but refused the 8F cabins, you then decided upon an 8C. That is now your cabin assignment. I think you essentially gave up the ability or the right to switch. Now if that same offer was in effect then you should have no problems, but it sounded to me like the same offer was no longer available.

You should have taken the original 8F and then continued to see if there became a different cabin you could switch it to.

As for a price reduction that is only available if your original booking was done as an Early Saver rate, or final payment isn't due yet.

To me that actually sounds about right. You chose a 8A with a free upgrade to an 8F but refused the 8F cabins, you then decided upon an 8C. That is now your cabin assignment. I think you essentially gave up the ability or the right to switch. Now if that same offer was in effect then you should have no problems, but it sounded to me like the same offer was no longer available.

You should have taken the original 8F and then continued to see if there became a different cabin you could switch it to.

As for a price reduction that is only available if your original booking was done as an Early Saver rate, or final payment isn't due yet.

I don't care about the price reduction and I did not even ask for it. I understood that Carnival does not do price reductions after final payment before I booked and I am ok with that. I don't however see how getting a free upgrade to an 8F as part of my rate is only good at the moment of booking. It may be the way Carnival does things, but if it is it is a crappy way to do things. I know other cruiselines have their quirks and do crappy things too. I just think in this situation it just plain shi&&%y.

If you change to a different promo than the free cash back, and the cash back rate isnt even available any more ..... why would you expect to get a different rate code now and still keep a unavailable rate??? puzzled.

I cruise on both cruiselines and Im not aware that RCL allows any combining of rates. In fact they have gotten much worse than Carnival, they now wouldnt give me my balcony discount and my shareholder's credit ... now thats crazy about not combining.

Carnival allows more combining of rates than RCL right now. I dont think its a question of Carnival service, but of you expecting them to combine two different rate promos. ... which of course isnt allowed. If I wanted the rate for senior and past guest free upgrades, I couldnt get that combined either.

If you change to a different promo than the free cash back, and the cash back rate isnt even available any more ..... why would you expect to get a different rate code now and still keep a unavailable rate??? puzzled.

I cruise on both cruiselines and Im not aware that RCL allows any combining of rates. In fact they have gotten much worse than Carnival, they now wouldnt give me my balcony discount and my shareholder's credit ... now thats crazy about not combining.

Carnival allows more combining of rates than RCL right now. I dont think its a question of Carnival service, but of you expecting them to combine two different rate promos. ... which of course isnt allowed. If I wanted the rate for senior and past guest free upgrades, I couldnt get that combined either.

I wasn't trying to combine rates. They were the ones who said I would have to pay the current rate, but when they realized that the current rate is actually cheaper (even without the OBC) than what I paid is when they said I would have to just give up the OBC and keep the rate I paid to make the switch.

I guess I learned my lesson, free upgrades are only valid at time of booking. I never booked with Carnival so lesson learned. Still think its crappy, but I am happy with the rate I paid so in the end I will still have a great time and enjoy my vacation.

The only thing I can think of as why RCI doesn't do it the same way as carnival is because they already charge so much they can afford to upgrade with no added costs.

YOu are probably right. I keep looking at RCI cruises and they are just so much more expensive than Carnival.

I don’t see this as a customer service issue. I see it as a revenue issue. You had the opportunity to purchase the category that you desired at the time of booking however selected another category based on what you thought would make your cruise more pleasurable to you. Your promotion is no longer available, opportunity missed.

I don’t know any business that is going to give you something for nothing. Carnival can currently sell the stateroom that you found and a higher rate. if you switch then the current rates apply.

You have a great cabin in a great location. Personally mid-ship deck 7 IMHO is the best place to be. No public area’s above or below you and in the middle of the ship from top to bottom.

Everything in life happens for a reason, you have a great rate, a nice OBC and a great location. Maybe the supervisors were more on your side than you perceive at this time.

Enjoy your cruise, I bet you come back a happy camper

I wasn't trying to combine rates. They were the ones who said I would have to pay the current rate, but when they realized that the current rate is actually cheaper (even without the OBC) than what I paid is when they said I would have to just give up the OBC and keep the rate I paid to make the switch.

I guess I learned my lesson, free upgrades are only valid at time of booking. I never booked with Carnival so lesson learned. Still think its crappy, but I am happy with the rate I paid so in the end I will still have a great time and enjoy my vacation.

Well, you even said that the cash back rate is no longer available on your cruise date. So, if you change to another cabin, then you wouldnt be booking at the cash back rate, so that IS combining rates. You want to keep the rate you now have, which includes cash back, but you want a free upgrade at a different fare.

This is combining rates, you just dont understand how Carnival books I guess. .... or you want a upgrade that was offered when you booked, and now not available, but think they should still give it to you.

I agree with the other poster who said this isnt a customer service issues, this is a matter of not understanding how Carnival books. You cant have something that used to be offered, but isnt offered currently.... so if you change cabins, they change the rate code .... which is why you would lose the OBC on the cash back rate you originally booked.

This current, cheaper rate, does it have the words "new bookings only"? You booked at a rate, THEN. Now rates are different. Sometimes they change on a daily basis, Carnival and RCL. You know that.

Plus you said you are now in penalty, meaning final payment date has passed. Do you know CCL's rule for price reductions after final payment date?

When I booked my rate was $689pp +$100OBCpp cash back with a free upgrade to an 8F.

Currently, if you book a cruise today with Carnival they have a rate of $559pp with a free upgrade to an 8E. It is not a new booking promo it is the past guest rate (Its been at this price for three days with the free upgrade to an 8E.)

I am in an 8C, but would like to move to an 8E.

So what is Carnival's policy about switching cabins after final payment? Is it that you must pay the current available rate? Also, what does "current rate" mean, is it the rate for that category before any free upgrades?

I guess my confusion is with what they mean by current rate? Because currently if you book an 8A for $559 you get a a free upgrade to an 8E, so to me the rate for an 8E is $559. Now looking at things differenlty, I guess thats not what they mean by current rate. I was confusing current rate with current free upgrade included rate.

Lesson learned and knowing is half the battle.

Here we go again! OP Sorry but you can't have it both ways. You only get the benifits of one promotion at a time. People just will not read the small print. BLAM.gif

I do get it... My promo rate was $689+100OBC/pp with upgrade to an 8F. The current past guest rate is $559 with upgrade to an 8E. At NO TIME was I expecting to get it for $559 plus the OBC or even $559 w/o OBC. I was just confused about what they meant by current rate.

Either way...7day cruise here I come, can't wait! As long as the food and service onbaord is good (and for me that means leave me alone, I don't like being waited on hand and foot....heck we clean up the room and try to make the bed for the room steward...we are crazy that way) I will be back with Carnival, at their prices I can look past little quircks and stuff.

Its just a different promotion going on now from the one you booked under. Each promotion has a different rate code.

I agree, it makes sense to me too, that they would give it to you. Im sorry that it would involve losing your OBC from the cash back rate.

I know it is frustrating but unless you booked the early saver rate, which I am assuming you didn't if you got an OBC and are in the penalty phase Carnival doesn't have to make or offer any changes at all. Prior to October of last year we used to be able to get changes and OBCs for rate drops right up until sailing but Carnival changed their policy back then, I do hope you still LOVE your cruise experience.

Sorry to beat a dead horse guys.

I can be a little slow sometimes... just so I understand things correctly. Look up Carnival Valor 9/27/09 and tell me what the current rate for an 8E is (i qualify for pass guest).

Is the current rate Carnival is referring to:

$559 (past guest with 8a free upgrade to 8e)

$629 (past guest for 8e)

$689 (fun select for 8a free upgrade to 8f)

$759 (fun select for 8e)

According to them if I switch to an 8e I have to give up my promo rate beause my rate code is no longer available (understandable - new rate no OBC fine with me) and pay current rates. Which they say means, I must keep the rate I paid of $689(8c), but give up my $100OBC. Thats where my confusion is about 'current rate'. What is the current rate for an 8e.

I don't care about the price reduction and I did not even ask for it. I understood that Carnival does not do price reductions after final payment before I booked and I am ok with that. I don't however see how getting a free upgrade to an 8F as part of my rate is only good at the moment of booking. It may be the way Carnival does things, but if it is it is a crappy way to do things. I know other cruiselines have their quirks and do crappy things too. I just think in this situation it just plain shi&&%y.

The reason it was available at time of booking is because they were having a promotion. You don't always qualify for the promotion just because you booked during a promo. Sales go away no matter what product you're buying.

Pat

I'm getting confused now too! Call another PVP and see what happens. You might get another answer. It's been known to happen! No matter how it ends up, enjoy your cruise. For future reference, we've never had any problem with noise being right by the elavators.

Pat

I can be a little slow sometimes... just so I understand things correctly. Look up Carnival Valor 9/27/09 and tell me what the current rate for an 8E is (i qualify for pass guest).

$629 (past guest for 8e)

$759 (fun select for 8e)

According to them if I switch to an 8e I have to give up my promo rate beause my rate code is no longer available (understandable - new rate no OBC fine with me) and pay current rates. Which they say means, I must keep the rate I paid of $689(8c), but give up my $100OBC. Thats where my confusion is about 'current rate'. What is the current rate for an 8e.

Here is what you are missing- Carnival will not honor a price drop for you. So the lowest rate you are going to get is $689.

I guess I learned my lesson, free upgrades are only valid at time of booking. I never booked with Carnival so lesson learned.

This is an incorrect statement. If you book and a special comes up with a free upgrade you can take the special as long as you are outside of penalty. If you book a 4a and a special come up as book a 4c and upgrade to 4f at your 4a rate, CCL will honor the special in you are outside of penalty or book the ES rate.

I hope you enjoy CCL as much if not more than RCI and be able to keep some $$$$ in your pocket.

Call another PVP. I asked this very question just recently when I checked on some pricing. Other family members are going too but not ready to book. I wanted to book mine with the free upgrade and OBC. When the others book and decide which deck they want to be on, they are deciding between OV & Balcony. I want to be on the same deck, I'm looking at insides. I was told that it was no problem for me to switch to another deck once they decide with no problem or fees.

Does that make sense?

$629 (past guest for 8e)

$759 (fun select for 8e)

I say that the rate for you to get the 8E, is $759 or if Carnival felt you could do the upgrade to 8E instead of the 8F, it would be $689.

You would be considered downgrading to the lower rate of

$589 or $629 and you can't downgrade after final payment and get the lower price. Your promotion is not available at this time, so if you want to change you would have to give up your OBC.

In the past, Carnival did allow changes after final payment that would allow lower rates and that would result in OBC, but no longer. The only chance now of getting lower rates is with ESA and if you qualify for the discounts.

I know it is confusing and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

$629 (past guest for 8e)

$759 (fun select for 8e)

Did you not say that you have not sailed with Carnival before???? How is it that you are a past guest then???

Archived