New England on Your Own or Not?

commodoredave

We will be calling at Boston, Bar Harbor, Portland, Halifax, Quebec City and Charlottetown on the Celebrity Constellation ex Cape Liberty on Oct 3. Are there ship excursions worth taking at good value in these ports, or are we better off exploring on our own. If the latter, what do you recommend we do? Thanks.

I think Boston is definitely a city you can do on your own. There are a ton of Boston discussions in this forum. The Old Town "hop on hop off" trolley is a popular choice to see the city. It comes right to the pier now.

Sometimes it works well to mix and match. Sometimes the ship has excursions that are hard to duplicate or where the timing is so close that you want to know they will hold the ship for you. Some places like Boston are easy to do on your own. When it's under your control, you can have Plan A and then Plan B in case of bad weather. Also, frequently you can decide at the last minute and go on a ship's excursion if you feel like it. Maybe it won't be kayaking or ziplining, but there is always room on some ship's excursion.

Sometimes it works well to mix and match. Sometimes the ship has excursions that are hard to duplicate or where the timing is so close that you want to know they will hold the ship for you. Some places like Boston are easy to do on your own. When it's under your control, you can have Plan A and then Plan B in case of bad weather. Also, frequently you can decide at the last minute and go on a ship's excursion if you feel like it. Maybe it won't be kayaking or ziplining, but there is always room on some ship's excursion.

Thanks. I see you're from Boston. Can you suggest the top things to see in the city? I think there's a walking trail near the waterfront that passes all the old landmarks, but I can't remember what it's called or how long it takes to complete. Also, any thoughts about a good seafood restaurant? Thanks.

Thanks. I see you're from Boston. Can you suggest the top things to see in the city? I think there's a walking trail near the waterfront that passes all the old landmarks, but I can't remember what it's called or how long it takes to complete. Also, any thoughts about a good seafood restaurant? Thanks.

The walking trail is called "The Freedom Trail" as for seafood there are, of course, lots of choices. I personally like The No Name restaurant, right at the pier and full of Boston attitude. Others like Legal Seafood or Union Oyster House. Boston proper is very small and easy to walk, plus there is the subway system called the "T". A good website is http://www.bostonusa.com.

The walking trail is called "The Freedom Trail" as for seafood there are, of course, lots of choices. I personally like The No Name restaurant, right at the pier and full of Boston attitude. Others like Legal Seafood or Union Oyster House. Boston proper is very small and easy to walk, plus there is the subway system called the "T". A good website is www.bostonusa.com.

AuntieBon --HI !!!!!

jaja here --met ya on the Miracle last year...!!!! CC meet and greet.... Hope all is well !

We will be in Boston on cruise in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The walking trail is called "The Freedom Trail" as for seafood there are, of course, lots of choices. I personally like The No Name restaurant, right at the pier and full of Boston attitude. Others like Legal Seafood or Union Oyster House. Boston proper is very small and easy to walk, plus there is the subway system called the "T". A good website is www.bostonusa.com.

Great advice, thanks. I remember going to the Union Oyster House when I last visited Boston back in the late 1970s and having a great time.

AuntieBon --HI !!!!!

jaja here --met ya on the Miracle last year...!!!! CC meet and greet.... Hope all is well !

We will be in Boston on cruise in 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time! Boston's a great city and small so you can see most of it without too much effort. Don't want to hijack so email me if you have specific questions.

Have a great time! Boston's a great city and small so you can see most of it without too much effort. Don't want to hijack so email me if you have specific questions.

see your email:D

Archived