Price drops, using TA (or not), help a newbie out!

I've been reading and reading here and I am confused. Help me out, if you would!

1) I got a considerably lower rate through a TA than directly from the cruise line. But I see (seasoned) cruisers who say they prefer to book directly with the cruise line. Should I be suspicious of the fabulous price I got from the TA? It's been booked, deposit made, I checked my credit card statement and I was billed by Celebrity, not the TA (which I understand to be a good thing).

2) Price drops: in this case, when is a price drop considered a price drop?

I can't explain what I mean without giving the actual prices:

The price on Celebrity's website right now: $6,496

The price I am paying through TA: $4,700

So... would the price have to dip below $6,496 to be considered a price drop, or would it have to dip below $4,700? :confused:

It would need to dip below what YOU paid, to get any benefit from a price drop. I'm pretty sure that your Ta wouldn't give you any additional discounts unless the price was to drop below what YOU paid....have you asked your TA about this potential savings, and how they handle it?

I too am a newbie and had a similar situation. Saved over 500 pp on a cruise going with a TA. Just make sure the rest of your payment goest to the cruise line. Relax and enjoy your savings

I've been reading and reading here and I am confused. Help me out, if you would!

1) I got a considerably lower rate through a TA than directly from the cruise line. But I see (seasoned) cruisers who say they prefer to book directly with the cruise line. Should I be suspicious of the fabulous price I got from the TA? It's been booked, deposit made, I checked my credit card statement and I was billed by Celebrity, not the TA (which I understand to be a good thing).

2) Price drops: in this case, when is a price drop considered a price drop?

I can't explain what I mean without giving the actual prices:

The price on Celebrity's website right now: $6,496

The price I am paying through TA: $4,700

So... would the price have to dip below $6,496 to be considered a price drop, or would it have to dip below $4,700? :confused:

Make sure too when checking current prices, that you look at the EXACT level you booked. Sometimes SOME levels drop while others don't OR actually go up. Depending on the timing and the popularity of the cruise, the prices can move up and down. So check a couple times a week starting about six months out. We booked 14 months in advance for our Med cruise and the price dropped a thousand for each of us. However in the last two months prior to cruising, the rate jumped back up to near the original price.

YOU will need to do the watch for the TA and notify them immediately if you see a drop in what you paid. Often the drop is short lived.

Thank you for the replies... I guess I can relax because I doubt X will lower the price to below $4,700 in the time that is left (we are sailing in 90 days). I can see them lowering it from the X website rate -- but I got such a mongo discount through the TA, I don't think it will go below what I paid.

The only downside to a TA who discounts can be they will take back some of the OBC they gave you if they have to readjust a price, or wouldnt give you a small price drop (Iv had this happen).

Its a gamble you sometimes have to take if its worth the discount to no book direct. Sounds to me like it is. The only other caveat is the cruiseline now wouldnt talk to you, you have to go thru the TA for everything.

Archived