Retreat/Family Zone with Slide

alohadad

Just was talking to HAL and was told that there looking at making the retreat a FAMILY ZONE with a slide feature and making the lido pool an adult only zone. Sounds great.

"Was talking to HAL".......

With whom were you speaking? I don't mean the specific person but someone in Seattle? Which Department? :D Why do you think this "HAL" you were speaking with has any idea about what they are speaking? :) ;) Interesting concept though. A way to start a lively conversation.

Making the Lido pool adult only? And the aft poolette and slide family only? HAL can't (or won't) enforce their dress code, the diapers not in the pool, the adult only pool (when signs are posted as such), the liquor in luggage, and on and on. So, why would anyone think they could designate and enforce any area as family or adult only?

If, and it's a big if, HAL is considering such a waste of monies ... my guess is that it's a way to turn lemons into lemonade. By that, I mean the aft deck refurb on the Veendam and soon on the Rotterdam.

In a nutshell: As Obama said today about the typical end of August leading into September ... everyone seems to get wee-wee this time of year.

Actually, I don't think this is such a bad idea. Since HAL has already "wee-wee"''d the back end on a couple of ships, this actually might not be a bad transformation of the already transformed. Based on my sources, the back end transmorgification (Calvin and Hobbs reference) of the back end on Veendam has been a striking cow pattie of an implementation, which is why it is not being planned for all the "R" class ships.

Most slides built nowadays don't drop into pools, but into a flat splash down area. Then the big screen doesn't bother the adults whom take over the Lido pool. At least you take a non useful area like the half baked retreat idea and make it useful for someone. I mean the back of the Veendam can't really look any worse - might as well go for broke and really kitchy by putting a slide as well.

Really don't know. I am not HAL. Do you know if Carnival ships are ADA Have no idea

Ships, even foreign flagged, are required to abide by the ADA, but the Supreme Court ruled that significant structural changes are not required in order to be ADA compliant on ships. That leaves a pretty wide berth.

Actually, I don't think this is such a bad idea. Since HAL has already "wee-wee"''d the back end on a couple of ships, this actually might not be a bad transformation of the already transformed. Based on my sources, the back end transmorgification (Calvin and Hobbs reference) of the back end on Veendam has been a striking cow pattie of an implementation, which is why it is not being planned for all the "R" class ships.

Peter...... Only Rotterdam is getting the 'poolette' as far as I know.

Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam were built with aft pool on Lido Deck. Rotterdam is the only "R" Class ship that has a pool on Navigation Deck.

I think HAL has the right ideas. Try to go after a younger more hip crowd for there ships in the future.

CCL already has a couple of lines for that demographic:

- they're called "Carnival" and "Costa"

CCL already has a couple of lines for that demographic:

- they're called "Carnival" and "Costa"

Dear Sir, you should remember Classic & Elegance/Young & Hip; what HAL can be in the future. There is a large base of cruisers that want a Classic style of cruise. Not a circus that floats.

There is a large base of cruisers that want a Classic style of cruise. Not a circus that floats.

On this, we are in agreement.

This is why I am opposed to HAL installing waterslides, primary-colored wading pools, Giant Outdoor TV screens, waiting for a dinner table, rubber-dipped dining chairs, baseball-glove shaped furniture and other such nonsense.

Dear Sir, you should remember Classic & Elegance/Young & Hip; what HAL can be in the future. There is a large base of cruisers that want a Classic style of cruise. Not a circus that floats.

I so agree HAL needs to attract the young and hip and that is great by me. I want the company to survive and thrive so we can continue to enjoy our cruises. We are aware that we are their 'present' but the young families are their future.

But what I want most of all is for HAL to attract the young and hip with taste and finesse and elegance without becoming a carnival.

We sailed spring break this year for two cruises and had absolutely no issue with the 180 or so children aboard. They were delightful, well behaved and I enjoyed their youthful energy, curiousity and fun. We were walking one evening with Captain and his wife and some energetic kids were moving along with some speed though definitely not running. When they saw 'the adults', they politely slowed their pace and said good evening. One bright young fellow actually asked Captain some very fun questions and we all enjoyed the few minutes with them. These were nice kids being very well brought up and their parents (who were not present at the moment) should be proud.

Not all HAL long time cruisers are resistent to welcoming young families.

We are resistant to changes HAL might make that takes from their refined, finished, tasteful elegance.

I so agree HAL needs to attract the young and hip and that is great by me. I want the company to survive and thrive so we can continue to enjoy our cruises. We are aware that we are their 'present' but the young families are their future.

But what I want most of all is for HAL to attract the young and hip with taste and finesse and elegance without becoming a carnival.

We sailed spring break this year for two cruises and had absolutely no issue with the 180 or so children aboard. They were delightful, well behaved and I enjoyed their youthful energy, curiousity and fun. We were walking one evening with Captain and his wife and some energetic kids were moving along with some speed though definitely not running. When they saw 'the adults', they politely slowed their pace and said good evening. One bright young fellow actually asked Captain some very fun questions and we all enjoyed the few minutes with them. These were nice kids being very well brought up and their parents (who were not present at the moment) should be proud.

Not all HAL long time cruisers are resistent to welcoming young families.

We are resistant to changes HAL might make that takes from their refined, finished, tasteful elegance.

I totally agree with this. We did our first HAL cruise on the Westerdam with our 7 1/2 DD. All of us ( including DD) loved the refined elegance of HAL. We had done Carnival and swore we would never step foot on a Carnival ship again. Just not our style. Our TA even tried several times to talk us out of HAL. We just loved the style, the people, the staff, everything. We do not want a Chuckie Cheese carnival on our ship. We want the 5 star luxury we are paying for and enjoy the peace, quiet and style of the HAL line! We are hooked!

Peter...... Only Rotterdam is getting the 'poolette' as far as I know.

Amsterdam, Volendam and Zaandam were built with aft pool on Lido Deck. Rotterdam is the only "R" Class ship that has a pool on Navigation Deck.

You are correct as always. In the blood rushing to my head as we discussed the big mistake, called Retreat, I got my classes mixed up.

Archived