Quad Bunk beds on Princess?

cassandra44

We are trying to book a cruise for ourselves (2 grandparents) our daughter, son in law and 2 granddaughters.

I cannot believe just how difficult it is to get suitable cabins on Princess.

We tried to get 2 balcony cabins side by side but were told that quad cabins had bunk beds for 4 people. That really sounds awful - but I cannot see a photo of these beds. Does anyone have experience of using them?

The other option we thought of was to have 2 connecting cabins and a third one for us. However we were told that there are no interconnecting cabins! Since the girls are quite young they would need to have the door open betweent the 2 cabins.

It seems the only option is to have two mini suites which really adds to the cost.

I'm surprised that Princess doesn't have more options for families travelling together.

However I would welcome comments about what these bunk beds are like

FYI: Most balcony cabins can be made connecting by having your steward unlock the door in the balcony divider. This will give you access to the cabins of others in your group if the cabins are adjacent.

You can lock the hallway door of the kid's cabin for security and still have access via the balcony.

Hope this helps...

Lew

i've sailed a few times in a quad cabin (interior and ov) with 3 TEENAGERS (:O) and we were fine. there is very little room, but we didn't stay in the cabin much. the bunks are put back in during the day but you can request they stay down for naps or tv watching etc. perhaps a quad cabin for the dd and sil and kids, and another for you two. we have also had a baclony triple but not a quad, so i can't speak to the layout of that. the bunks themselves are the same size as the single beds below but with a safety rail. the ladders are in the way during the day if you are wanting to move around between the beds, but you can put them aside if need be. the quads worked well for my family and i would think if the grandkids are young, they need to be in the same room with their parents. as a parent, i wouldn't get much rest if i was worried about my kids in a different room.

i agree, princess could use some more family friendly regular rooms. their family suites are too costly for our family. maybe call and ask princess about the price? it could be cheaper than booking 2 or 3 cabins.

We are trying to book a cruise for ourselves (2 grandparents) our daughter, son in law and 2 granddaughters.

We tried to get 2 balcony cabins side by side but were told that quad cabins had bunk beds for 4 people. That really sounds awful - but I cannot see a photo of these beds. Does anyone have experience of using them?

The other option we thought of was to have 2 connecting cabins and a third one for us. However we were told that there are no interconnecting cabins! Since the girls are quite young they would need to have the door open betweent the 2 cabins.

It seems the only option is to have two mini suites which really adds to the cost.

I'm surprised that Princess doesn't have more options for families travelling together.

Quad inside and mini with fold down and sofa bed. The last pic is a balcony cabin and the bed folds down from the facing wall. Sad thing for us, it was more expensive to book a quad, with 2 kids, than put them in a cabin by themselves. The regular quads are tiny but we weren't in the position to book a mini and did not want my kids to be in a cabin alone:eek:

Staying home was not an option so we made due, yet had a great time.

2055754130101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2230889180101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2694492090101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2640914000101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

We are a family of four and my husband is 6'7" and my 15 year old son is 6'4". We manage just fine in an inside quad. Yes it's cozy, but very comfortable even for my big men. They key is to be organized, make sure everything has a place and clutter is kept to an absolute minimum. It is wonderful for family togetherness and bonding!

First of all, I think it is wonderful that you are taking your family on the cruise. If someone was paying my way, I would be more than happy with an inside quad :)

The young children will be more than fine on the pull down bunks. The bunks have regular mattresses and my teenage boys have found them quite comfy.

What you could do is get yourself a balcony for two and then get your daughter's family a quad balcony cabin next door. There are some places on the deck plans where you will see the designation for quad rooms (usually a red dot) with a regular balcony cabin right next door. You could leave the balcony divider open between the rooms, if you wish. I would recommend the Caribe deck as the balconies are bigger and you would have 4 chairs on each balcony.

I have sailed in an inside cabin with my DH and twin sons and we were just fine. Sure it is tight, but we were all completely comfortable. A balcony cabin will be laid out better with the bunks coming down from the ceiling and put away during the day. You also have the balcony area for sitting. I would have no reservations sailing in a quad balcony cabin.

I am sure whatever you choose will work out fine and you will have great family memories to cherish.

Hi

I think what you misunderstood is that quad cabins have two REGULAR beds and 2 that fold down from the ceiling. They are not true bunk beds. The ceiling beds fold up during the day so that you have more floor space.

As the pictures show, any category below a mini suite will not have a sofa or actual sitting area in the stateroom. They are more or less just a bedroom with small bath and desk. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that point, especially for the grandparents. ;)

Or the cabin may be a triple and setup with a rollaway for the fourth person. This usually occurs in reg balcony cabins. The roll away would be taken out of the cabin during the day.

We had the rollaway bed in our cabin and have to say it was a nightmare!

Had to step on/over it to get to the dressing table and the balcony....no space left in the room to move whatsoever! I will def go for 2 cabins next time or a suite. Even a quad with 2 bunks but NOT with a rollaway! I was ready to jump overboard by the end of it!! :D

Archived