Cruising with 18 month olds

richg35

Hi there everyone.

We're planning a cruise for late May 2010. Our triplets will be 18 months old at that time. We're looking at a 9 night caribbean cruise aboard Explorer of the Seas. My wife and I cruised 2 years ago on the Crown Princess and absolutely loved it. That cruise was a big family affair as well. My niece was 3 at the time - so fairly significantly older than our kids will be on this trip but still a good experience traveling with a child.

We'll have grandparents and aunt and uncle with us so we should all be able to split child care with relaxing fairly evenly.

Anyone with experience cruising with children around that age that has any advice would be helpful. Things you didn't consider, things you did that you would have done differently, etc.

I'm fully aware of the limitations of cruising with young ones, and also would probably not consider it if it was just me and my wife. But since it will be a family affair I think it will be a great time for everyone.

Any experience with the Royal Caribbean in room babysitting service? Are they trained in childcare cpr/first aid?

Thanks in advance for any tips/help/hints.

I just wanted to say good luck and good for you for even considering a cruise with 18 month old triplets! I am a huge advocate of cruising with little ones - the most relaxing vacations we have taken. Having said that, I don't think I could cope with 3 of them even if I never left the house! I'm sure you will get a lot of great advice on this board and don't let those folks that seem to have an issue with kids cruising put you off! Have a great time whatever you decide!

The babysitters are ship employees who are willing to make a few extra bucks doing the "in room sitting"....if there is an emergency, they will call for help....I doubt they are trained in any real "life saving" techniques.

Archived