Best of Italy Review

brian_uk

We had a great time on The Quest and made many new friends along the way. There were many who were not even aware of CC but we spoke to them anyway.

I think Jancruz has set out the itinerary in much detail so I will not go into how we spent every minute of every day. This was the Best of Italy Cruise with Dubrovnik thrown in for free.

We flew in to Rome and transferred on the Saturday to Hotel Traiano in Civi. It was OK but we would NOT stay there again....it was a poor location and a long walk to the Centre for dinner that first night. The hotel arranged the transfer to the Quest and upon arrival at about midday we were checked in and on board within 20 minutes.

We were in 6088 a PS at the rear of the ship and it was as good as last year. Very clean and well cared for. The balcony is to die for with sun most times of the day somewhere on it. Many hours were spent there relaxing after trips into the various Cities.

Throughout the trip the weather was blisteringly hot and as they say “ Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the Midday Sun “. We preferred to be getting out earlier and get back away from the heat.

Sorrento was first and as we had been there many times we took no trips and basically relaxed. We took the local bus into Town and shopped on the first morning. If you are planning to take a trip by Ferry to Positano, learn from our mistake.....the first is at about 9.15 and the next at 1.30. We were too late for the first and it was too hot for the second.

In Taormina we took the shuttle to the Town early and were back on board by 1pm.

Ravenna is just plain awful and I note that Azamara are not staying overnight next year. We took the train to Bologna and I would honestly say that what we saw of the old town does not compare to many other Italian Cities.

To intersperse this review, we met many CC Members and enjoyed their company on many occasions. Being the quiet type I kept mainly in the background at the two Meetings that were held.

What can you say about Venice.....one of the greats. Again we ate at the Gritti Palace for lunch on the rear terrace. Overlooking the Grand Canal you cannot beat the place. But wow was it expensive. Two Pastas, two bottles of Water and the bill was 89 Euros. Breads etc were included and the view was free.

Dubrovnik was next and having been there before we took a taxi and went to Cavtat for a drink and made several stops for photos. We drove along the River and just had a great 3 hours. The negotiated price was 120 Euros and well worth it.

We enjoyed Olbia in Sardinia and joined with Gary and Linda from Rockford Illinois and took a tour of the very upmarket resorts. The driver spoke no English and was not very helpful. We even stopped at a beach where the girls paddled in the Med. The Taxi was from Roberto Sanna and I suggest you give them a wide berth.

There were many highlights including Dinner with Captain Carl another Brit and it was a fun evening unlike any other he had had previously.

I am just not into Shows and they seemed to be a mix of the old worn out themes, Hollywood, Musicals and TV just not my scene although Jean enjoyed some of them.

The Speciality Restaurants were excellent as was the GDR. But one of our favourite spots was on deck on the Buffet where you could always dress really casually and get a good bowl of Pasta.

The Staff were superb and our Butler Zoran was the best we have ever had. Even on the last morning when we were told that you had to go to the Restaurant as there was no room service, he called at 7.15 and said he had prepared ours and it was on its way. A very kind and gentle man who we hope to meet again.

Roman in PrimeC and Nyazzi were fantastically helpful throughout and we would have no hesitation in going on Az again.

This review is not exhaustive but just my initial thoughts on a really great trip.

Brian

Thanks for posting your review! Although I disagree that Ravenna is "awful" (loved the mosaics!), I don't think it's a good choice for an overnight stay and am glad for future cruisers that it's only a day stop this time.

Thanks for bringing back memories of our fabulous May cruise!:)

We were last on O 3 years ago and thought it was fabulous.

Our first Az trip was last year and I reported that it was about 90% as good as O.

The improvement in 12 months has been amazing and I can honestly say that they are on a par. The Staff were amazing and the food much improved.

I was not keen on the Shows on either Ship.

There were several areas on Az that were better. The Captain Carl Smith was so informative (he is a Brit) and I even learned about tying up the Ship 6 and 2, 6 and 2. We actually had dinner with him and when finished he said he had to go back "to the pointy end" and drive. Really relaxed. He is also the youngest Captain at 36.

I would more than happily sail on either line and once again it is the Itinerary that counts for us. Having said that I see that for 2010 O are still way more expensive but I think the itineraries are better.

I still never understand why there are people on the O boards who are adamant that they would NEVER sail on Az without any basis for the decision. There were many on board who had sailed with both and basically agreed that Az is much improved.

Brian

I still never understand why there are people on the O boards who are adamant that they would NEVER sail on Az without any basis for the decision.

Brian

Brian,

Thanks for posting your review...I enjoyed reading it, and it brought back some very nice memories.

Re your comment above, I think it's just a matter of loyalty and not wanting to stray from a product that you really enjoy. Not unlike those who won't consider buying another brand of car, or who will only stay in a certain brand of hotel. With Azamara only having two ships, I don't mind that the majority of O clients aren't wandering over to try out Azamara.:)

Thanks for the comparison Brian. As for shows, we don't go to any so it's no biggie to us.

We would be willing to switch even though the prices when comparing the VS&OS are not much different at all.

As you have put it it all depends on the Itinerary. Azamara has not offered the Grand voyages such as the April 18th on Oceania which we are taking in 2010. Will give them another look in 2011. :)

Brian,

Thanks for your comments.

We have our 4th O cruise coming up in December and will try Azamara next September (itinerary & price).

Your positive comments re: Azamara improvements put me more at ease.

Paul

I would more than happily sail on either line and once again it is the Itinerary that counts for us. Having said that I see that for 2010 O are still way more expensive but I think the itineraries are better.

Brian, I enjoyed your review as well as your comparison of Azamara and Oceania. We'll be sailing both lines for the first time within the next few months & look forward to experiencing them ourselves. From what I've read, Oceania seems to be at the top of its game but Azamara appears to be a worthy competitor who is gaining strength.

And speaking of O itineraries, the finalists will soon be announced in the contest that spawned from your new itinerary musings. :D:D

It is primarily an industrial City which has Mosaics....hardly a place for a 2 day stop. The Captain was asked at a CC get together why we had gone there and there was no answer. I understand they are only stopping for a day next year and again in my opinion a waste of a day. Bonifacio, Kotor, Split are far more appealing.

The exterior of the Ship was infested with millions of mosquitos from the nearby swamp and all exterior doors were kept shut although you could of course sit by the pool etc. The advice was NOT to go out onto the balconies. Apparently upon arrival the ship was sprayed with mosquito killer and there were areas of dead ones....albeit swept to one side. When we departed on the second day they left as I am told they do not like the air at sea......

The ship was then cleaned up while we were all in Venice.

This was the only negative part of our trip and I tell it like it is.

Brian

My guess is the local officials have maybe cut some deal with Azamara to include this stop in the itinerary with perks like the free shuttle service and perhaps reduced or no docking fees in a bid to bolster tourism in the area. And while I realize it's business tradition, shutting the stores down for 4 hours mid day didn't help either.

There is a new cruise dock in the works to be completed next year, however IMHO it still doesn't warrant a full day's stop other than to see the mosaics or as a starting point for a side trip to Bologna for those interested.

It is primarily an industrial City which has Mosaics....hardly a place for a 2 day stop. The Captain was asked at a CC get together why we had gone there and there was no answer. I understand they are only stopping for a day next year and again in my opinion a waste of a day. Bonifacio, Kotor, Split are far more appealing.

The exterior of the Ship was infested with millions of mosquitos from the nearby swamp and all exterior doors were kept shut although you could of course sit by the pool etc. The advice was NOT to go out onto the balconies. Apparently upon arrival the ship was sprayed with mosquito killer and there were areas of dead ones....albeit swept to one side. When we departed on the second day they left as I am told they do not like the air at sea......

The ship was then cleaned up while we were all in Venice.

This was the only negative part of our trip and I tell it like it is.

Brian

Yuk! We noted the piles of industrial materials close to the ship, which certainly came onboard when the wind blew. I didn't think that was too healthy. But the mosquitoes hadn't appeared in May, so we didn't have that issue. I'm not a fan of bugs, especially ones that bite me, so I think I might have shared your opinion had that happened to us. <shudder>

Thanks for your feedback on Ravenna...

It will allow us to adjust our barometer if we sail into the city, instead of on our own as part of a land trip..

We will still visit the town to see the mosaics, but we appreciate that you have shared your impressions

K.

We just returned from the Azamara Quest and spent two days in Ravenna, however on the first day we opted to take the ship's tour to the republic of San Marino - which also included a brief tour of Ravanna's mosaics on the way back to the ship. Then, on the second day, we took the shuttle into town and found Dante's tomb and wandered the beautiful city of Ravenna. We had wine at a local sidewalk cafe and chatted with some locals who had moved from Buenos Aires to Ravenna about 15 years ago. They love their town, and so did we. The mosquitoes were not in the town - but definitely inconvenient for those who stayed on the ship.

Could you expound on Ravenna...why was it awful?

We haven't been, but it's on our wish list as we have read and heard so much about the beautiful mosaics.

Grazie

K.

I found Ravenna to be a lovely small city, occupied by Italians, not tourists. The first day in port, we went to the Ferrari museum (ship's tour) and had a pleasant visit. We were back in time for a stroll into the stores downtown. The second day, I enjoyed 6 hours wandering around a nearly deserted town, as it was a major holiday in Italy and the residents went wherever Italians go on holiday. The shops would be closed in any town in Italy on this date (August 15). But I got to enjoy the cobblestone streets and incredible mosaics (monuments remained open) with no crowds. Don't cancel your trip to Ravenna!

The bugs were swarmed the ship, especially in late afternoon, but we didn't see any in town.

I found Ravenna to be a lovely small city, occupied by Italians, not tourists. The first day in port, we went to the Ferrari museum (ship's tour) and had a pleasant visit. We were back in time for a stroll into the stores downtown. The second day, I enjoyed 6 hours wandering around a nearly deserted town, as it was a major holiday in Italy and the residents went wherever Italians go on holiday. The shops would be closed in any town in Italy on this date (August 15). But I got to enjoy the cobblestone streets and incredible mosaics (monuments remained open) with no crowds. Don't cancel your trip to Ravenna!

The bugs were swarmed the ship, especially in late afternoon, but we didn't see any in town.

I agree with this. We took the train to Bologna and enjoyed it thoroughly.The second day we did the same as AVW. The holiday skewed our visit, as did the bug attack on the ship,but we found plenty to do.

Sam

Archived