OK, I bought an over-the-door shoe hanger

bubbie617

Now what? It has two grommets at the top but there's nothing to hang it from. I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to attach it to the bathroom door. Do I use magnets with clips? Do I bring string to hang it on a hook? Do I go out in search of over-the-door hooks? HELP!!

I feel so dumb! I'm used to a cabin bathroom with a large medicine chest to store things, but I was told not to expect one in my AB mini-suite. Send suggestions my way please.

Now what? It has two grommets at the top but there's nothing to hang it from. I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to attach it to the bathroom door. Do I use magnets with clips? Do I bring string to hang it on a hook? Do I go out in search of over-the-door hooks? HELP!!

I feel so dumb! I'm used to a cabin bathroom with a large medicine chest to store things, but I was told not to expect one in my AB mini-suite. Send suggestions my way please.

Yep, over the door hooks...

Here at home, my robe actually hangs on a hanger that I think was sold as a wreath-hanger to hang your christmas wreath on your glass or screen door. Unless you are tall, this would drop the organizer to where even the top pockets are easily accessible.

Good Grief! Now I have to look at the cheapie one I just bought.....assumed it had hooks

like the better one from Walmart that I chose to leave on Jewel of the Seas last year.

No room in my luggage. The cheap ones take up the least room/weight, but I never

thought they might not have hooks!

It has two grommets at the top but there's nothing to hang it from.

Ours came with four over-the-door hooks to hang it from. I would think if the package says it's for over-the-door use it would include the hooks.

Lew

That's interesting the hanger didn't come with hooks. We've had a couple of these and they came with small hooks for each grommet.

I got tired of fumbling with them after a few cruises so now I use a couple of plastic hangers with swivel metal hooks that I thread through the grommets and hang on the clothes rack.

I've never seen "over the door shoe hangers" without hooks. How are you supposed to hang it on a door, in the first place?

Once you've figured it out, you'll love having it. It's so handy for all your stuff!

I use so many items that come in a can....hairspray/deodorant/room deodorizer and having the place to put it all is so convenient. ;)

I have always purchased those cheap ones without the hooks, mainly as they are small enough to fit the door, and we don't need a dozen sections for storage. The command hooks worked very well with them, and they are so cheap I just leave them behind when we disembark. ;)

Hello my overpackers anonymous buddy. That is one item you might not really need to take. There are shelves - rather than a medicine cabinet - and also a shelf that runs the length of the vanity top. We have never had an issue with needing more storage space in the bathroom, especially a mini-suite. More hangers, yes.......

g

Oh, I should add that I totally take over the "desk" space - which is also a vanity, and use it as just that, including the drawers to store my make-up and the like. The bath is just not big enough to want to do hair and make-up in there, rather in the stateroom proper, which also gives DH time to shower and get the bathroom totally soaked.:o

Hi

Don't know about other ships, but on the Ruby there are 2 hooks (for bathrobes) on bathroom door, my over-door-hanger had a cord, so I hung it there. Suggest you take cord/string. I thought it was great for storing toiletries, chargers etc & DH & DD knew where to find things. I hate clutter :D

Don't know about other ships, but the Ruby had 2 hooks on bathroom door. My over-door hanger had a cord so I used the door hooks. Worked a treat. Useful for storing many items, not just toiletries. DH & DD knew where to find things - I hate clutter.:D Take cord/string

Before we took our last cruise, I went to a few places to find one. They are not cheap. Our Walmart had one for about $12.00. Then, I asked myself if I really wanted it. It wasn't light as a feather and we had decided to use carry-ons and pack light. So, we declined. Honestly, we didn't miss it one bit. A good lesson, there are a ton of things you can take if you read these threads and you can get talked into almost everything that you might need. Clothespins, duck tape, over door thingy, coffee makers, coffee mugs, rumrunners, bubble wrap, umbrellas, hampers, door decorations, alarm clocks, bug spray, fans, eye glass repair kit,etc,etc,etc.

Didn't bring these/didn't need these. Can you imagine packing and lugging all this stuff?

We bought ours at the Dollar store and it also did not have hooks. I doubt you'll want to do what my husband did, but here it is. We had a broken antenena from an old radio that he put through the two grommets and then we took a wreath hanger. Worked perfectly. I wasn't sure I was going to use it, but it worked super and was very convenient!

We hung ours over the back of the bathroom door into the closet area. I stored things that I didn't necessarily want to be in the humidity of the bathroom like my evening purses etc. We couldn't be without one on a cruise. I hate clutter, and it keeps all of the little things orderly.

Check the packaging. They are usually between the card board bottoms for the selves and the plastic itself. Sometimes they can be easily overlooked.

Otherwise take it back.

We find them very useful for all the bathroom stuff.

Before we took our last cruise, I went to a few places to find one. They are not cheap. Our Walmart had one for about $12.00. Then, I asked myself if I really wanted it. It wasn't light as a feather and we had decided to use carry-ons and pack light. So, we declined. Honestly, we didn't miss it one bit. A good lesson, there are a ton of things you can take if you read these threads and you can get talked into almost everything that you might need. Clothespins, duck tape, over door thingy, coffee makers, coffee mugs, rumrunners, bubble wrap, umbrellas, hampers, door decorations, alarm clocks, bug spray, fans, eye glass repair kit,etc,etc,etc.

Didn't bring these/didn't need these. Can you imagine packing and lugging all this stuff?

That is too funny! Thanks for the day-brightener!

Yup! My thing lately is to pack light, carry-on, and do laundry on ship. Am seriously considering a kindle, though, as we bring too many books. That will lighten the load even further. As for wine, we buy near the port and consume onboard. So, consider this. If you don't bring so many things that you really don't need, you won't need the over the door thingy for organizing all your stuff which you really don't need. ;)

I think somebody took your hooks!Either take it back for an exchange or bag the idea all together! I have been on nearly a dozen cruises and we have at least a dozen pairs of shoes and have never had to take a shoe hanger!:rolleyes:

Yup! My thing lately is to pack light, carry-on, and do laundry on ship. Am seriously considering a kindle, though, as we bring too many books. That will lighten the load even further. As for wine, we buy near the port and consume onboard. So, consider this. If you don't bring so many things that you really don't need, you won't need the over the door thingy for organizing all your stuff which you really don't need. ;)

I'm with you on that; ever since we saw a passenger toting a small (it would've probably fit in the overhead compartment on a plane) suitcase for an entire 12 day cruise --- while we were getting hernias trying to maneuver our 4 giant pieces of luggage --- we vowed we could do better at packing. The laundry facilities are a real help, and we've always had more than enough storage in the cabin and even the teeny bathroom. My big indulgence this time around will be to pack a netbook, but will trade out the snorkel flippers for it!!

Archived