OK, I bought an over-the-door shoe hanger

bubbie617

I'm with you on that; ever since we saw a passenger toting a small (it would've probably fit in the overhead compartment on a plane) suitcase for an entire 12 day cruise --- while we were getting hernias trying to maneuver our 4 giant pieces of luggage --- we vowed we could do better at packing. The laundry facilities are a real help, and we've always had more than enough storage in the cabin and even the teeny bathroom. My big indulgence this time around will be to pack a netbook, but will trade out the snorkel flippers for it!!

Unless it was an "Oompa Loompa", I don't believe it!!! And, even they need more luggage spacr for a 12 day cruise, than can fit in an overnight bag. Hence the word "overnight!" :rolleyes:

Unless it was an "Oompa Loompa", I don't believe it!!! And, even they need more luggage spacr for a 12 day cruise, than can fit in an overnight bag. Hence the word "overnight!" :rolleyes:

If we hadn't seen it with our own eyes (we were behind her in the immigration line and then saw her again checking in at the airline), I wouldn't have believed it either. A true packing guru . . .

Anyway, good luck to all with the over-the-door hangers!

If we hadn't seen it with our own eyes (we were behind her in the immigration line and then saw her again checking in at the airline), I wouldn't have believed it either. A true packing guru . . .

Anyway, good luck to all with the over-the-door hangers!

Wow! She's my packing hero!!!! Or the most boring dresser on the planet!

I believe the OP is talking about storing things in a "medicine cabinet", not for "shoes".

Who told you that an AB does not have enough storage in the bathroom?

Let me see if I can understand: Your in an AB mini-suite?

I am assuming it's one of the larger ships.

There is a shelf that runs the entire length of the bathroom under the sink that is pretty large with a small cutout for the garbage can. There is LOTS of storage room on that shelf. There is also 3 shelves on each side that I have managed to keep all my "stuff" in. How much more storage do you need?

Thanks to one and all for the input. I am no longer concerned about where to put things in the bathroom. It just goes to prove that "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing."

Thanks, rpach, for the picture. It definitely sets my mind at ease. We will be on Caribbean Princess, so there should be no problem.

I totally agree with GG as stated in an earlier post... plan to do "hair & makeup" at the desk. The bath is small, humid and may be occupied by another! :o

I pack everything in separate ziplock bags.... jewelry, makeup, hair things, etc and the bags all go in the desk drawers. Very easy to store (and find) when getting ready.

I've been using ziploc bags for packing for years. I save the empty bags from trip to trip. Makes life so much easier.

I do the same, but I store the bags in the over the door holder saving drawer space for clothes.

Oh, I have also seen some that travel only with a rolling carry on (overnite bag) for longer cruises. Personally, there is no way I could handle so little for a cruise, but some can do it. So, I do believe this has been seen by others, including me. ;)

When my kids joined us on a cruise I had bought (at the dolloar store) an over the door shoe thing. I hung in the closet. It worked well.... with 3 ladies there are alot of shoes, now they were all in one place! And you could actually walk with out stumbling! :)

Before we took our last cruise, I went to a few places to find one. They are not cheap. Our Walmart had one for about $12.00. Then, I asked myself if I really wanted it. It wasn't light as a feather and we had decided to use carry-ons and pack light. So, we declined. Honestly, we didn't miss it one bit. A good lesson, there are a ton of things you can take if you read these threads and you can get talked into almost everything that you might need. Clothespins, duck tape, over door thingy, coffee makers, coffee mugs, rumrunners, bubble wrap, umbrellas, hampers, door decorations, alarm clocks, bug spray, fans, eye glass repair kit,etc,etc,etc.

Didn't bring these/didn't need these. Can you imagine packing and lugging all this stuff?

Well said!!!

I attach my 'shoe tidies' to trouser hangers with the two clips at each end. I shared four with my daughter this year and they were great hooked into the open wardrobe on the Grand Princess. We use them for shoes, belts, toileties, make-up, bags, other accessories. I used to have one with a built-in hanger but lost it. Hope this helps.

I just went through the same thing for our Emerald cruise. Purchased a cheapy shoe hanger with clear pockets then cut off 1/2 of it to make it shorter. That's when I realized it didn't come with the hangers. :rolleyes: So I took a wire hanger, broke it into two equal pieces and shaped each piece so that it fit over the top of a door and hooked onto the bag, it worked fine. Mine was very light weight and folded up to a small size. Hope that helps!

Also as far as using it for storage...I put stuff that we are always looking for in the pockets ie: OTC meds, brushes, bandaids, sunscreen, tweezers, de-linter, nailclippers, files, jewelrey, etc. I'm not real organized and by the middle of the cruise it's not always easy to locate the little items I need (I've dropped them in one of the drawers, or a purse and forgot where I put them), I like having them in view and we always know where to look.

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...
Yup! My thing lately is to pack light, carry-on, and do laundry on ship. Am seriously considering a kindle, though, as we bring too many books. That will lighten the load even further. As for wine, we buy near the port and consume onboard. So, consider this. If you don't bring so many things that you really don't need, you won't need the over the door thingy for organizing all your stuff which you really don't need. ;)

Hey Donder,

I bought my DH a Kindle in March for his birthday. I LOVED IT!! To pay me back he got me one for my b'day this month so he could get his back! I can't recommend it enough -- I could be a salesman! Love, Love, Love it!

Now what? It has two grommets at the top but there's nothing to hang it from. I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to attach it to the bathroom door. Do I use magnets with clips? Do I bring string to hang it on a hook? Do I go out in search of over-the-door hooks? HELP!!

I feel so dumb! I'm used to a cabin bathroom with a large medicine chest to store things, but I was told not to expect one in my AB mini-suite. Send suggestions my way please.

I know you are asking how to attach your over the door storage rack,but I have never needed one on a Princess cruise in a regular balcony cabin. I think a mini may have more room?

There is a large shelf under sink to hold items and a small shelves around mirror, I think 3 or 4 of those.(at least in the balcony rooms) The closet area I think is very large and there is a long shelf above rod. Even with 2 "girls" in the room I never felt short on storage.

To answer your question though, I would take that one back if you can and get an over the door rack that has everything included.

Try 3M Command small metal hooks. I use them at home for a shoe hanger for my daughter's shoes. They hold really well! I plan on using these on my next cruise. They come right off when you are done with them, and don't leave a mark.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Command-17067-Small-Hooks/dp/B000FCCZEC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1252974516&sr=8-9

I buy mine at Walmart.

our kids did a 3 week Europe trip with only backpacks!!! they wore sneakers..and brought flip flops..yeah they rinsed out their undies and tees..or found a local laundromat every few days..

obviously the make up..matching shoes and purses were not important

oh..to be 24 again..

rosie

We always pack (and use) our OTD shoe rack on a cruise. Ours has hooks, but we bring along heavy string, too, for those ships where the hooks don't work well. I'm not saying we bring it because there's not enough space in the cabin...quite the contrary. There are a lot of drawers and shelves, so many that I get tired of constantly having to open them up to find things that I put away. Our shoe rack is made of clear vinyl, and it's perfect for spotting things at a glance. We keep most of our toiletries in it, and sunblocks, first aid, medicines, my makeup, etc. I also don't like things sitting out on the vanity, and the shoe rack has saved us there.

I've done a lot of cruising and have never used the over the door shoe holder. What a great ideal. I have used a smaller travel over the door case, but wow the shoe ideal is great. Just picked one up yesterday at Walmart for $7.84 and it did have the hooks. I made sure to look inside.;)

We are planning a 3 week trip to Europe with a 12-day cruise in the middle; we plan to bring only one 24" suitcase apiece. Not quite as impressive, but it should be easily manageable. We did a 2-week trip in Japan this summer with the same suitcases and had plenty of clothes options, only sent out a few items for laundering once.

The trick to packing like this is to bring mostly CLOTHES in one's suitcase. I don't pack with cubes, sleeves, plastic bags or on hangers. All these things take up space and add weight for (in my case) no added value. I don't bring the "extras" like duct tape, power strip, over-the-door organizer, pop-up hamper, etc. I just can't figure how some people get any clothes at all in their suitcases with all the other items they bring along....:rolleyes:

Now what? It has two grommets at the top but there's nothing to hang it from. I'd love to hear suggestions as to how to attach it to the bathroom door. Do I use magnets with clips? Do I bring string to hang it on a hook? Do I go out in search of over-the-door hooks? HELP!!

I feel so dumb! I'm used to a cabin bathroom with a large medicine chest to store things, but I was told not to expect one in my AB mini-suite. Send suggestions my way please.

This is what the DUCT tape is for! LOL.

Archived