Anyone else anxiously waiting for a cabin number?

debsjc

RuthC,

You have a lot of knowledge about CC. I would like to ask your opinon about why some roll call cruise threads have very light activity? For example, Rotterdam March 8, 2010 has 2183 replies and Rotterdam April 10, 2010 has 38 replies. Could it be that the cruise going to the South Pacific has a lot of repeaters? Somehow there must be groups of people who already know each other. My email link is below if you this this question is in the wrong place.

RuthC,

You have a lot of knowledge about CC. I would like to ask your opinon about why some roll call cruise threads have very light activity?

I need to change my avatar to one with a "deer in the headlights" look. But, I don't want to ignore your question.

I really don't know the reason for the great variance, but suspect you are on to something when you say longer cruises have passengers who already know each other. And sometimes even a nice group of strangers just "click", and they get chatting.

I have noticed that, for the most part, those on my roll-calls don't post on this forum, so I don't know them the way I do the regulars here. That makes a difference. Perhaps it's about finding things in common. Those of us who already know each other, either from a forum, or because we've cruised together, are already comfortable with each other.

And, then sometimes you get a few posters who are very outgoing and chatty, and a thread just takes off.

Luck o' the draw is as good an answer as any, I think.

I also asked my TA about any upsells, but no word. I don't really need it, though it would be nice to have breakfast in the Pinnacle! Of course, it would probably be cheaper to stay in my VA room and pay for all our lunches in the Pinnacle.

igraf

Still waiting on March 13, Oosterdam. Still hoping for an upsell opportunity. Actually, we have a great GUAR right now, so an upsell isn't essential to our happiness...

I keep thinking the longer it goes before we get a cabin assigned, the better the cabin will be. That's what I tell myself!! :p

I really don't know the reason for the great variance, but suspect you are on to something when you say longer cruises have passengers who already know each other. And sometimes even a nice group of strangers just "click", and they get chatting.

Is a contributing factor that longer cruises also have an older demographic - and maybe they are less likely to be on a web site like CC than others?

Just wondering...

Thanks RuthC for your input.

Both Rotterdam cruises I mentioned are about the same length in days. One goes to circle Hawaii then down into the South Pacific. The other, with light forum activity, is an Incan Express cruise, (down the coast of Central America and South America).

It may just be chance. That is a good thought about older pax not being on the Internet as much as younger pax.

Roger

That is a good thought about older pax not being on the Internet as much as younger pax.

I don't know about that. I've been on several longer cruises (>30 days) where we've gone without satellite service for several days in a row. When we got back in range there was a long, long line for a computer. It seemed like most of the passengers were all trying to reach the outside world!

And there have been other times when there was a special, either double minutes for your time, or use 20 for the price of 10, something like that. You couldn't get near the Internet center!

HAL passengers appear to be tech savvy.

Well I finally got my assignment for the Eurodam...SB6059. I'm not really sure how I feel about that room because I have never been that far forward on any of my sailings...and I dearly wanted an SC for the week.

Has anyone ever sailed in that particular cabin in the past?

We just got out cabin assignment for the March 15 Noordam....from a guar VF to VB 6163. This is a shower only room towards the aft...anyone have any shower only experience or pictures? We are just excited that we have a plexiglass railing and can't wait !!!!

I ended my wait by picking the cabin that I wanted and changing to that cabin. I don't think that HAL is going to upgrade me to anything very nice so I did it myself.

Good luck with your waits

Helen

Received my assignment for O on 20 March this morning.

Had booked a VF guarantee and received a VA - Verandah Deck on 5. Nice upgrade!

It's an aft cabin - help me convince my wife that is a good thing! ;)

That is a really nice upgrade. Hope we get something similar for our march 21st Westerdam sailing. The aft cabins are so handy for the pool and other facilities.

The reason I mentioned my DW is that she is super sensitive to noise and I'm a little worried that the engine noise will bother her some. She does bring a sound machine, so hopefully that will be enough.

Meanwhile, I've wanted to try an aft cabin, so I'm really pleased.

Received my assignment for O on 20 March this morning.

Had booked a VF guarantee and received a VA - Verandah Deck on 5. Nice upgrade!

It's an aft cabin - help me convince my wife that is a good thing! ;)

There is nothing like an aft balcony. I will choose a cruise date depending on whether one of these cabins is available. You don't know the rest of the ship exists. The view of the wake and moon at night is fantastic. I have never noticed noise so imo it is not a major problem. Lucky you!!!!! Cherie

I check twice per day for our assignment. We are on the Eurodam. Today I noticed that most of the V categories are 'closed.' I thought we booked a VH guarantee, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know how HAL assigns these rooms?

And, how soon will we know? HAL said that it is usually one week before sailing.

Thanks, Cherie! I'll be sure to tell my wife you said she was lucky to get such a good cabin. ;)

"Lucky" is an understatement. You have won the lottery imo. I would rather have an aft cabin than a suite, and I have had both. Have a great cruise. Cherie

And, how soon will we know? HAL said that it is usually one week before sailing.

Figure HAL to assign your cabin about 10 days before sailing. More or less. Give or take. Plus or minus.

I did something so unlike me and upgraded from my requested 'V' cabin to a SZ guarantee. This is unlike me as I like to know where I am going to be located on the ship but decided that the extra interior space would be good since my BFF and I will spend a good deal of time in our cabin when not snorkeling on this cruise.

So now I wait and play the HAL cabin roulette! :D :D

Round and round and round she goes, where she sleeps only the computer knows.....;)

Archived