Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

If you haven't left yet, can you find out if they offer free parking for the duration of a 7-night cruise? I'm still researching pre-cruise hotels for our Allure cruise next September.

Hi Trish,

We are booked in the Cambria Suites next February. We booked the park & cruise/fly rate program and are leaving our car there for free for a 10 day cruise. So, I think if you book the room under that rate program, the free parking for your cruise will be included. I would, however, double check with the hotel just to make sure.

Happy cruising!

We will be doing a B2B2B in January. I was thinking that we could spend one of the turn around days just checking things out via the water taxi. What's the best way to get to the water taxi from the ship(Navigator of the Seas). I am assuming that we will need a taxi. Can you tell me about how much it will cost and which stop on the water taxi should we ask to go to?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

We will be doing a B2B2B in January. I was thinking that we could spend one of the turn around days just checking things out via the water taxi. What's the best way to get to the water taxi from the ship(Navigator of the Seas). I am assuming that we will need a taxi. Can you tell me about how much it will cost and which stop on the water taxi should we ask to go to?

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Take a taxi to the Hilton Marina to catch the water taxi. It will cost about $10 per taxi to get there. If it is a nice day just ride the whole route. If you want to see the beach area, get off at Bahia Cabana, walk north on the beach road, and get back on at the Pillars Hotel by Seville St. The Gallery One stop is a block from Galleria Mall. The 9th Avenue stop will take you to the Las Olas downtown area.

RoyalCruz, can u give me any feeback on the Marriott Resort Beach and Spa in FLL? Will be staying there precruise next month. Thanks for any feeback.

It is a very nice beachfront property. If you like upscale dining the food at 3030 is exquisite, although the service is slow. The hotel is set back a bit from the main beach road but if you don't have any walking issues you can walk to places from there; it's the nicest beachfront hotel within walking distance to the main strip but it is a little far. I haven't stayed at the hotel but I do like it a lot.

Joann, since you have stayed at Cambria Suites, I am wondering what is within walking distance as I have received mixed reports. We won't have transportation but would really like to go to a liquor store for our wine the night before embarkation. And how was the $8 buffet for breakfast?? Thank you!;)

Fort Lauderdale Dec 24 and 25. Any tried and true suggestions for Christmas dinner on the 25th?? Party of 8 (4 adults 4 teens)

thanks!

Would like to know myself. We arrive Christmas afternoon and will be staying at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North, which I understands has a shuttle from FLL to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise terminal, so we will have no rental car.

Joann, since you have stayed at Cambria Suites, I am wondering what is within walking distance as I have received mixed reports. We won't have transportation but would really like to go to a liquor store for our wine the night before embarkation. And how was the $8 buffet for breakfast?? Thank you!;)

We walked to BJ's which has a liquor store and they sell wine inside the main store. It took us about 10 or so minutes, I would say including the road turning into Cambria, it was maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile each way. I walked it in flipflops and had no problem :D There are sidewalks so it wasn't a hard walk. You could always take a taxi too. There was a K-mart that sold some wine also right next to BJ's. (I believe you can just ask for a day pass at the customer service desk, if you don't belong) That's about all that is close from what the people at the desk told us. It is an open mall with a big parking lot there are a lot of stores there. I didn't notice any restaurants near by that I wanted to walk to, that's why we ate at the hotel. We had a car with us but chose not to bother to venture our, we were very comfortable right at the hotel.

We found breakfast to be good. Your normal breakfast foods, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, I think oatmeal and grits, fresh fruit (melon) juice, coffee. There was a toaster where you could toast your own choice of bread. I want to say bagles too but I'm drawing a blank because I didn't eat any. We found it to be what we expected not huge but had what we eat and it was hot. It was just the two of us, so we felt it wasn't worth trying to find someplace else. I'm not sure what time you're arriving the night before but we ate dinner there two nights and found the food delicious. The prices were more reasonable than I expected.

Be sure to sign up for the shuttle as soon as you arrive. This was the only issue we had there. ]Be sure to ask to see the time they write you in for. We were there 2 nights so the first morning as soon as we ate we went to the desk and requested the first shuttle which is 10am, for 6 people. The girl wrote us in for it. Early afternoon I went back to the desk and the same girl was there. I asked to confirm that there would be 6 of us on the 10 am shuttle. She confirmed it. On Sunday morning we went down for the shuttle and were told by the driver that we weren't on it. At the desk they said I requested the 11 am shuttle. Which I did not. The same girl told me this. So we had to waited about 45 min for it to return. They were very nice an apologized several times. Thing is I have read before of people having the same issue there, that's why I confirmed later in the day. Go figure. When the 11 am shuttle came the girl came and got us and made sure we were the first to get on. We plan to stay there again next Dec. but you can be sure I will ask to see the list when she writes us in for the time.

We really did enjoy our 2 night stay there. I stayed at Embassy Suites (which would be my first choice) on 17th street, last year but Cambria was less than half the price this year. Plus Cambria let us leave our car for free and Embassy would have charged. I couldn't justify spending the extra money as our group had booked 6 rooms.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

JoAnn

Edited by JMS920

Can you recommend a shuttle or would be better (cheaper) to take a taxi from FLL to Intercontinental hotel on Chopin Ave in Miami for a pre-cruise night? SAS transportation says $15 per person, but for arrivals after 3, they charge the 3 person minimum, which would be 45 bucks. ..........

I have the same problem, my pre cruise flight arrives in FLL at 3:15 p.m., sailing from Miami planning on staying in Miami at Holiday Inn Bayside pre-cruise. Really don't want to pay $45.00 to get from FLL to MIA. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input Kevin, most people seemed to have stayed in the Tower. I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the older building. Just wondering if the upgrade is worth the extra money.

Please click here for pictures of older tower room at The Riverside Hotel.

We're booked at the Hampton Inn on Sterling & hoping to find:

Grocery Store - for snacks and wine pre cruise

A nail salon - I won't have time to get mine done before we leave

Victoria's Secret - We're there on the 27th of Dec & I always stock up after Christmas on their sales.

We'll be driving from Jacksonville Fl so if any of these would be off of I-95 I can stop on my way down.

Thanks much!!!

Would like to know myself. We arrive Christmas afternoon and will be staying at the Hyatt Place Fort Lauderdale Airport North, which I understands has a shuttle from FLL to the hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise terminal, so we will have no rental car.

A friend of mine was in FLL last week and scoped out restaurants for Christmas dinner. He said there are too many to choose from - almost all are open the 25th because of course it is FLL and not everyone celebrates on the 25th.....

DH says make friends with the bellboy and get invited to their house, I said not.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I know that Quarterdeck is open on Cordova Rd about 3 blocks away, but it's really casual, so I'm not sure it's what you are looking for. If Chuck's Steakhouse is open that might be a good choice for you and there is fine dining at Mezzaluna, if they are open. They are just across SE 17th St.

Edited by royalcruz

I have the same problem, my pre cruise flight arrives in FLL at 3:15 p.m., sailing from Miami planning on staying in Miami at Holiday Inn Bayside pre-cruise. Really don't want to pay $45.00 to get from FLL to MIA. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

$45 is a good price. I doubt you will find anything better.

We're booked at the Hampton Inn on Sterling & hoping to find:

Grocery Store - for snacks and wine pre cruise

A nail salon - I won't have time to get mine done before we leave

Victoria's Secret - We're there on the 27th of Dec & I always stock up after Christmas on their sales.

We'll be driving from Jacksonville Fl so if any of these would be off of I-95 I can stop on my way down.

Thanks much!!!

The best closest grocery store would be Publix on Dania Beach Blvd east of US1. Publix has a nice wine selection. It's about 2 miles away. There is also a Kmart, BJs and Big Lots right across Stirling Rd in Oakwood Plaza.

The easiest Victoria's Secret to get to along the way is on Glades Rd in Boca Raton, one mile west of I95 in Boca Town Center mall. It's a really nice store and mall and is about 45 minutes north of the hotel. Closer to the hotel is Galleria Mall 3 miles east of I95 on E. Sunrise Blvd in Fort Lauderdale. It's a smaller store but it is nice. Victoria's Secret is in the far east end of the mall. In Galleria Mall, you can get your nails done at Aveda Spa at Macy's or Red Door Spa, but I'm sure you can find a better priced mani if you do a search in the Hollywood area near your hotel.

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

I understand you are the person to ask all things Ft. Lauderdale...

My husband and I are going to be driving from VA to cruise out of Port Everglades. We will be driving our Ford F-350 super crew cab (pulling a 38' travel trailer too). We are trying to figure out if 1. We can even park a truck that big at the dock (it hangs about 3 feet over a standard parking space)? and 2. Are there any places nearby we might be able to store our trailer for the week we are at sea?

We are open to staying in a hotel for a night nearby that would allow us to keep our truck there if necessary, but we are guessing that they will not allow our camper to stay. At this point, we are open to just about any ideas that you might have.

My husband and I are going to be driving from VA to cruise out of Port Everglades. We will be driving our Ford F-350 super crew cab (pulling a 38' travel trailer too). We are trying to figure out if 1. We can even park a truck that big at the dock (it hangs about 3 feet over a standard parking space)? and 2. Are there any places nearby we might be able to store our trailer for the week we are at sea?

We are open to staying in a hotel for a night nearby that would allow us to keep our truck there if necessary, but we are guessing that they will not allow our camper to stay. At this point, we are open to just about any ideas that you might have.

We were considering driving our 33' motorhome (towing our car) to FL in Dec. We stayed at Cambria Suites. I asked the manager in advance if it would be possible to park it there as we would be there the night before the cruise. Our car would be at no charge and they would allow us to leave the mh for $15. per day. They requested we reserve that in advance. We didn't end up taking it, just drove the car down. You might want to call. Google Cambria Suites, Dania Beach, Fl to get the number.

Sorry, I have no idea. Check with some hotels that have park & cruise like Hampton Inns and Sleep Inn.

Have you considered a WalMart? They allow camper parking (some people stay for several days). Try calling a store in FLL and speak to the manager, maybe they will allow you to park there.

Have you considered a WalMart? They allow camper parking (some people stay for several days). Try calling a store in FLL and speak to the manager, maybe they will allow you to park there.

Many WalMarts are gracious enough to allow RVer overnight stays and some don't allow that. It usually depends on what other stores are adjacent. Also some towns have ordinances that don't allow over nighting in retail business parking lots. Even if I was told ok by a manager, I would never consider leaving my RV in a WalMart for the length of a cruise. Imagine going back to find it was towed away. OP, we've had this issue also. We wanted to travel with our motorhome and stop for a cruise. However, an RV isn't something you can just bring without an exact plan as to where to park it. Imagine getting to the cruise port expecting to park there only to be told for some reason there wasn't room for the oversized vehicle. I would be interested to hear anyplace other than Cambria who allows you to park it for the week. We cruise out of FL again next Dec.

Sorry, I have no idea. Check with some hotels that have park & cruise like Hampton Inns and Sleep Inn.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. We are reluctant to leave our camper unatended at a WalMart for that long so I did a search on park and cruise (never knew that existed because I've only cruised once before and it was from a port only 1.5 hours from where I lived).

I contacted Cambria Suite as someone suggested and they didn't have enough parking space for our trailer. I ended up booking a room at Rodeway Inn and Suites. Apparently they have "Big rig" parking and a free shuttle which means we can leave the trailer and truck there.

I'm sure it feels good to know you have a spot reserved for your camper. Sorry Cambria didn't work out, they must be pretty booked when you're there. I'm glad you found someplace. I'll have to remember about the Roadway, having a big rig parking area. Thanks for the info!