Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are coming to Fort Lauderdale pre cruise 1 night in December. Our plane arrives around 10am so we will have most of the day and night. Where can we stay close to Port Everglades cruise terminal? Do they have shuttle service from hotel and airport and from hotel to cruise terminal? And what is there to do and where should we eat? Thanks for any help!!!

Fun places to stay are at the beach and on 17th St but shuttles are not customary in this area. The Embassy Suites on 17th St by the port is very popular due to its location and free cooked to order breakfast and free evening drinks/snacks. There are lots of restaurants, a few shops, and wine stores on the same block. They don't have a shuttle but taxis are only about $15 from airport and to port. Hyatt Place North is a block away and has free shuttle from airport but the reviews lately have been complaining about musty odors. Holiday Inn Express Convention Center next to the port has free airport shuttles.

Another area that is popular for cruisers is by Stirling Rd and Oakwood Plaza. They have lots of discount stores, chain restaurants, cinema, and arcade. Hampton Inn FLL south is right next door and has free airport/cruiseport shuttles.

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing a B2B on Oasis and want to plan a day in Ft. Lauderdale on the Saturday turn around day. We probably want to do a beach day and would like advice on the least expensive way to do that and alternatively what would be the quickest way.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone suggest a hotel for 1 night prior to our departure from Port Everglades that might have free parking for cruise guests? I stumbled up on one when we left out of Miami last year just by calling the hotela and asking--however, I did get the idea from a Cruise Critic poster.

If not free parking, then a good clean hotel that's budget priced. We are a party of 8 and need 4 rooms.

Thanks--Kim

stay123.com offers several hotels with parking, etc. i have just booked with them for the 2nd time.

Hello...I have been reading this thread to like page 30 something LOL! I am flying to Fort Lauderdale and will be staying there for one night and cruise out of Miami. I wrote down alot of hotels but still confused of the areas. Any suggestions for hotels NOT expensive just for one night? And also food, wine etc. within walking distance. I understand that I can ride through SAS or taxi to get to POM? Any info would be great. Thanks. By the way this thread is by far the most helpful lol

I always stay at the Sleep Inn in Dania...and will do so again in December! Always get a great room, good service, timely shuttles and a pretty nice breakfast!

Across the street from the Inn is a Publix and three or four restaurants that I like to frequent...especially the Mexican restaurant which served great food!!!!

We will be flying into Miami on Thur Mar 8th and staying in a hotel (haven't decided yet) in Ft Lauderdale and cruising from Port Everglades Mar 9th. We return on Mar 17th and will need to go directly from Port Everglades to MIA. I am looking for the cheapest transportation from Miami to Ft Lauderdale.

All and all ideas appreciated!

Hi I am looking for the same information please! We fly on Dec 4th, Miami back to the UK :eek:

I’ve been reading a lot in this thread and already found lots of tips, but still…maybe someone can give me some specific tips.

We land on a Wednesday in October at 07.30 pm in Miami from Holland. Since for us it’s the middle of the night, we are searching for a hotel nearby the Miami airport. Just for one night. In the morning we will go to Fort Lauderdale where we will stay for two nights. Then on Saturday we’ll embark on the Oasis for a week.

When we arrive back in Ft Lauderdale a week later, we will travel back to Miami to stay there for a night and on Sunday evening late we will fly back to Holland.

That’s our travelplan, now my questions……

• What hotel can you recommend at or close to Miami airport?
  • How do we get from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale?
  • Any recommendations for hotel in Fort Lauderdale?
  • And finally a hotel in Miami for our last night preferably in Miami Beach?

Is public transportation a good option from the airport to downtown? I read somewhere that there are busses riding between Miami Airport and Ft Lauderdale airport for about $30. Is that a good option or is there a better way?

For all of the above goes that we don’t want to spend too much money. So, no 5* hotels but better then a hostel. Just a nice, clean hotel not to far away from shops, restaurants etc. Preferably not to expensive, but a nice hotel and good location win over money.

Hopefully someone will want to answer my questions, although maybe some questions belong in the thread about Miami?

We are doing a B2B on Oasis and want to plan a day in Ft. Lauderdale on the Saturday turn around day. We probably want to do a beach day and would like advice on the least expensive way to do that and alternatively what would be the quickest way.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest taking a taxi to Beach Place for about $15 each way. They have public bathrooms, restaurants, bars, and shops, right across the street from the beach.

Hello...I have been reading this thread to like page 30 something LOL! I am flying to Fort Lauderdale and will be staying there for one night and cruise out of Miami. I wrote down alot of hotels but still confused of the areas. Any suggestions for hotels NOT expensive just for one night? And also food, wine etc. within walking distance. I understand that I can ride through SAS or taxi to get to POM? Any info would be great. Thanks. By the way this thread is by far the most helpful lol

Sleep Inn and the Hampton FLL north are very close to grocery stores that sell wine, and a few restaurants. They'll give you breakfast, too. Book up with SAS in advance, usually $12-15 pp. A taxi will cost a lot of money ($75-90?) each way.

Trying to decide between Embassy Suites and Hyatt Pier 66.

Do they have shuttles?

I know Embassy has a great sounding breakfast.

Who is closer to port?

And, lastly taxi costs?

Sailing mid Dec.

Thank you!

They are about the same distance from the port entrance. The tower bldg at Hyatt overlooks the port. Neither has free shuttles but ES can arrange a shuttle to the port for a fee (I wouldn't bother because it's no more expensive to take a taxi and you can go on your own schedule). Taxis to port will be about $10. From airport will be about $15, maybe $20 to Hyatt. Plus tip. Hyatt is a nicer property but ES is right by lots of restaurants and some stores.

I’ve been reading a lot in this thread and already found lots of tips, but still…maybe someone can give me some specific tips.

We land on a Wednesday in October at 07.30 pm in Miami from Holland. Since for us it’s the middle of the night, we are searching for a hotel nearby the Miami airport. Just for one night. In the morning we will go to Fort Lauderdale where we will stay for two nights. Then on Saturday we’ll embark on the Oasis for a week.

When we arrive back in Ft Lauderdale a week later, we will travel back to Miami to stay there for a night and on Sunday evening late we will fly back to Holland.

That’s our travelplan, now my questions……

• What hotel can you recommend at or close to Miami airport?
  • How do we get from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale?
  • Any recommendations for hotel in Fort Lauderdale?
  • And finally a hotel in Miami for our last night preferably in Miami Beach?

Is public transportation a good option from the airport to downtown? I read somewhere that there are busses riding between Miami Airport and Ft Lauderdale airport for about $30. Is that a good option or is there a better way?

For all of the above goes that we don’t want to spend too much money. So, no 5* hotels but better then a hostel. Just a nice, clean hotel not to far away from shops, restaurants etc. Preferably not to expensive, but a nice hotel and good location win over money.

Hopefully someone will want to answer my questions, although maybe some questions belong in the thread about Miami?

I don't know a lot about Miami Beach. I stayed at Homewood Suites Blue Lagoon near MIA last yr and it was fine (3*). They have a free airport shuttle but I'm not sure of the hours. There is also a Hampton Inn in Blue Lagoon that is popular.

If there are only 2 of you and you can get a shuttle between airports for $30 pp, that is a good price. A taxi will cost about $80, maybe a bit more or less. If you want to stay at the beach in Fort Lauderdale, look at Bahia Mar, Best Western Oceanside and Alhambra Beach Resort. They are not luxurious but are good and well priced. If you take a shuttle between the airports, it will cost about $25 to these hotels from FLL. Maybe SAS Transportation could take you between hotels for less...you can find their contact info on the web...they don't go to MIA.

It might make sense to just get a cab from MIA directly to Fort Lauderdale and stay for 3 nights.(Alhambra office is closed at night though, I think).

Edited by royalcruz

They are about the same distance from the port entrance. The tower bldg at Hyatt overlooks the port. Neither has free shuttles but ES can arrange a shuttle to the port for a fee (I wouldn't bother because it's no more expensive to take a taxi and you can go on your own schedule). Taxis to port will be about $10. From airport will be about $15, maybe $20 to Hyatt. Plus tip. Hyatt is a nicer property but ES is right by lots of restaurants and some stores.

Royalcruz,

Thank you for the info! We got the Hyatt for $124 (Gov. rate). I'm not brave enough to try the bidding, having 2 young kids. I still like to know for sure which hotel. The pool and breakfast are key for us!

I could only get Embassy for one night (second is booked). So, we may go with Hyatt which does look beautiful!

Thanks again for your time:)

We are spending two days precruise on Allure.

We want the beach very close. We also want other places nearby like a drugstore and places to get snacks or restaurants if possible.

Which of these hotels would you recommend?

MARRIOTT COURTYARD FORT LAUDERDALE

SHERATON FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH HOTEL

BEST WESTERN OCEANSIDE in Fort Lauderdale

WESTIN BEACH RESORT

Great information here! Trying to wade through it--whew! We can get a much better rate coming into Ft. Lauderdale FLL airport. But our ship sails from Miami. Don't like flying on the day of the cruise, so we are coming in on Friday night. Ship sails on Saturday.

#1--Are their hotels that run shuttles from the airport to hotel then to cruise port?

#2--I've checked the shuttle info, looks like hollandlimo has a good rate from the airport that is $65 to the cruiseport. Taxis are $70. Any better options?

THANKS!

Royalcruz,

Thank you for the info! We got the Hyatt for $124 (Gov. rate). I'm not brave enough to try the bidding, having 2 young kids. I still like to know for sure which hotel. The pool and breakfast are key for us!

I could only get Embassy for one night (second is booked). So, we may go with Hyatt which does look beautiful!

Thanks again for your time:)

$124 is a great rate for the Hyatt. If they don't have a good breakfast package, there's always breakfast bars. Their pool area looks really nice and relaxing. For lunch, the food at Pelican's Landing on the Hyatt marina is good, or you can run across the street and get subs at the Blimpie in the convenience store.

We are spending two days precruise on Allure.

We want the beach very close. We also want other places nearby like a drugstore and places to get snacks or restaurants if possible.

Which of these hotels would you recommend?

MARRIOTT COURTYARD FORT LAUDERDALE

SHERATON FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH HOTEL

BEST WESTERN OCEANSIDE in Fort Lauderdale

WESTIN BEACH RESORT

All of the hotels have restaurants in them or on the same block.

Based on your criteria, I've organized first to last choice as follows:

Westin (across from beach, closest to CVS, has a full Starbucks store)

Marriott Courtyard (across from beach, closest to 7-11)

Sheraton (some rooms on beach, some across the street, no stores nearby)

Best Western Oceanside (a block walk to beach, no stores nearby)

Great information here! Trying to wade through it--whew! We can get a much better rate coming into Ft. Lauderdale FLL airport. But our ship sails from Miami. Don't like flying on the day of the cruise, so we are coming in on Friday night. Ship sails on Saturday.

#1--Are their hotels that run shuttles from the airport to hotel then to cruise port?

#2--I've checked the shuttle info, looks like hollandlimo has a good rate from the airport that is $65 to the cruiseport. Taxis are $70. Any better options?

THANKS!

Fort Lauderdale hotel shuttles will not take you to POM. SAS transportation will take you for $12-15 pp if you are willing to ride a shared shuttle.

All of the hotels have restaurants in them or on the same block.

Based on your criteria, I've organized first to last choice as follows:

Westin (across from beach, closest to CVS, has a full Starbucks store)

Marriott Courtyard (across from beach, closest to 7-11)

Sheraton (some rooms on beach, some across the street, no stores nearby)

Best Western Oceanside (a block walk to beach, no stores nearby)

A thousand thanks...great advice

I should have asked for your recommendation and not just your evaluation. Is there another hotel near or on the beach in FL that fits what I have described?

A thousand thanks...great advice

I should have asked for your recommendation and not just your evaluation. Is there another hotel near or on the beach in FL that fits what I have described?

The Marriott Beach Place and Ritz Carlton are next to CVS and lots of restaurants/bars, and are both across the street from the beach. Basically, they are in the middle of everything. The Alhambra is just another 2 blocks away from the Ritz and is a half block from the beach. it is in a great location, gets great reviews, and the prices are great, but it is a privately owned mini resort and not a regular hotel. They give you breakfast too.

The Best Western Oceanfront Hotel has several buildings and the beach is right behind them...there is a Publix across the street...the last time I was there, there were a couple of restaurants on the same side of the street and a couple more across the street. The hotel serves a decent breakfast and has a heated pool. The Cocoa Beach Shuttle is taking us to/from the hotel to the port for $4 per person.

Bequia, please correct me if things have changed since I was at BW last summer. I'll be back to the BW myself in October and report with more accuracy when I return....

Edited to ask: I'm sorry...my information is about the BW at Cocoa Beach...is that the one being referred to in the above post? If not, please disregard my post!

Edited by copnlpn2

THANKS!

Here is what we are doing when we fly into FLL on Saturday for a Sunday cruise out of POM. I bid on a one way car rental on Priceline, FLL to MIA. I got Alamo for about $25. We're staying at a MIA airport hotel with an airport shuttle. So I can either drop the fam off and return the car the same day, getting the shuttle to the hotel; or I can return the car the next morning. Since Alamo has a shuttle from MIA to POM, I will probably do that and take that free shuttle.

The Best Western Oceanfront Hotel has several buildings and the beach is right behind them...there is a Publix across the street...the last time I was there, there were a couple of restaurants on the same side of the street and a couple more across the street. The hotel serves a decent breakfast and has a heated pool. The Cocoa Beach Shuttle is taking us to/from the hotel to the port for $4 per person.

Bequia, please correct me if things have changed since I was at BW last summer. I'll be back to the BW myself in October and report with more accuracy when I return....

Edited to ask: I'm sorry...my information is about the BW at Cocoa Beach...is that the one being referred to in the above post? If not, please disregard my post!

1) Bequia started this thread but hasn't checked it for a very long time

2) This thread is only about Fort Lauderdale