Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

A taxi will cost a lot of money ($75-90?) each way.

LOL! Oh my! I will not take that route.. Ok so another question is, Is it best to just stay in Miami? It is much cheaper to fly from Dallas to FLL than to Miami so that's why I'm going to FLL. IF I were to stay in Miami, what would be a good way to get to Miami from FLL airport? Thank you sooooooo much Royalcruz for answering my crazy questions You Rock throughout this whoooole thread !! LOL!

LOL! Oh my! I will not take that route.. Ok so another question is, Is it best to just stay in Miami? It is much cheaper to fly from Dallas to FLL than to Miami so that's why I'm going to FLL. IF I were to stay in Miami, what would be a good way to get to Miami from FLL airport? Thank you sooooooo much Royalcruz for answering my crazy questions You Rock throughout this whoooole thread !! LOL!

Shae, You are welcome! I don't know Miami well, but from what I understand Ft Lauderdale hotels are better priced. So for what you could pay for the Hampton or Sleep Inn in Ft Lauderdale, maybe the hotel in Miami wouldn't be very nice. A lot of cruisers are booking Miami hotels on Priceline for good prices...I think that the closest zone to the POM is "downtown" but I'm not sure about this. I do know for a fact that SAS transports people from the hotels I mentioned to POM, for low prices. They also transport from FLL to Miami hotels, but you need to verify with them that they are available and book in advance.

I am flying into FLL also for a cruise out of Miami, in October. I have SAS Shuttle picking us up at the airport and taking to the Intercontinental Miami for $15/pp. They are also picking us up from the cruise ship on our return and driving us to FLL, for the same amount.

The Intercontinental Miami is a beautiful hotel in downtown Miami. Lovely area to walk around. It is adjacent to Bayfront Park and close enough to walk to Bayside Marketplace, with it's shops and restaurants. The Hotel is right across from the bay from where the ships dock and if you get a bayside room you can watch the ship arrive in the morning. We will be taking a cab to the Port which I figure will be maybe $25.

I booked the hotel on lastminutetravel.com and got a price of $111.00 plus tax for a total of $128.94. They don't name the hotel though. In all the times I have tried it, it has been the first hotel they mention - a 5 star hotel for $111.00. If you click on description, you will see a picture of a marble statue with a hole in the top of it and some orange chairs around it - that gives it away as being the Intercontinental.

Wow, thanks for this great thread!

We are looking for a one-night post cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale in mid December (11th)

We'll be off the ship fairly early, and our flight out the following day isn't until afternoon, so we'd like to find a nice place with beach access, but we're not wanting to break the bank. Also a shuttle to the airport would be a great plus, but we can take a taxi if need be.

Included breakfast is always nice, but not required.

Any ideas :rolleyes: ?

Edited by scdreamer

Wow, thanks for this great thread!

We are looking for a one-night post cruise stay in Fort Lauderdale in mid December (11th)

We'll be off the ship fairly early, and our flight out the following day isn't until afternoon, so we'd like to find a nice place with beach access, but we're not wanting to break the bank. Also a shuttle to the airport would be a great plus, but we can take a taxi if need be.

Included breakfast is always nice, but not required.

Any ideas :rolleyes: ?

As far as I know, you won't find beach access and shuttles. You will get included breakfast at Best Western Oceanside and Alhambra, both within a block of the beach and no more than $25 ride to the airport. Alhambra is in a great location near bars, shops, and restaurants. Bahia Mar is also very reasonably priced but doesn't give you breakfast.

Royalcruz,

Thanks so much for answering all of these question on this thread!

My husband and I are going on a Carnival cruise 10/22/2011. We reside in Brevard County.

We were talking about going down the friday before the cruise and getting a hotel etc.

However the price of the hotel plus any parking fees they would charge is the dilema. Do we do the hotel plus parking charge or drive down the saturday of the cruise and pay whatever the port charges for parking?

What does the Port Charge now?

Are there any hotels that do not charge for a week of parking?

Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will a taxi take 6 people from the cruiseport to FLL? Any idea of the cost? I have been reading they will take 6 people max. Also we are staying at the SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port arriving on a sunday evening. Any stores, restaurants open within walking distance?

Thanks

Soooo confused. Can someone help me plan?

We are a 30yr old couple flying in to FLL on Jan 13 for our Jan 14 cruise on Oasis. We get in at 11 am- so we will gave 24 he's to explore the city before cruising, as well as 24 hrs when we return.

I would like a hotel that is nice, clean, included breakfast and is near restaurants, shops, drug store ect. A shuttle to the port would be nice too. I was thinking embassy suites... Are there any on 17th steer that overlook the ocean?

Also, how do we get to the beach? Is there a best area of beach to go to? What about shops? I read about a water taxi- is this the best bet?

Thanks so much

Will a taxi take 6 people from the cruiseport to FLL? Any idea of the cost? I have been reading they will take 6 people max. Also we are staying at the SpringHill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port arriving on a sunday evening. Any stores, restaurants open within walking distance?

Thanks

You might find needed info here:

http://www.shuttle411.com/

Of course, a regular taxi cannot accommodate six and the boot can only handle luggage for 2-3 pax.

I'm looking at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport for one night pre cruise for2/4/12 for $125. Any good or bad remarks? Are there any restaurants and shops in the area?

There are no restaurants very close other than in the Hilton and Sheraton and there are no shops. I have read that if you book through Priceline you will be put into a smoking room at that Hilton, which is one of the only hotels left in town that allows smoking indoors. Otherwise, the hotel is fine, a basic older 3 star hotel with a pool.

Edited by royalcruz

Royalcruz,

Thanks so much for answering all of these question on this thread!

My husband and I are going on a Carnival cruise 10/22/2011. We reside in Brevard County.

We were talking about going down the friday before the cruise and getting a hotel etc.

However the price of the hotel plus any parking fees they would charge is the dilema. Do we do the hotel plus parking charge or drive down the saturday of the cruise and pay whatever the port charges for parking?

What does the Port Charge now?

Are there any hotels that do not charge for a week of parking?

Any thoughts and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are several hotels with free stay AND cruise parking for one week. They will even give you breakfast and take you to the port by shuttle. Some will even pick you up after the cruise but you'd have to check with each hotel to see if they do that (it often will tell you on the websites). Check out these:

Sleep Inn Dania

La Quinta Hollywood

Hampton Inn FLL north and south (north is the closest on this list to the port)

Hampton Inn Plantation

Soooo confused. Can someone help me plan?

We are a 30yr old couple flying in to FLL on Jan 13 for our Jan 14 cruise on Oasis. We get in at 11 am- so we will gave 24 he's to explore the city before cruising, as well as 24 hrs when we return.

I would like a hotel that is nice, clean, included breakfast and is near restaurants, shops, drug store ect. A shuttle to the port would be nice too. I was thinking embassy suites... Are there any on 17th steer that overlook the ocean?

Also, how do we get to the beach? Is there a best area of beach to go to? What about shops? I read about a water taxi- is this the best bet?

Thanks so much

What you want and what you can get are not the same. 17th St hotels are near the ocean but not at the ocean. You might be able to see the ocean in the distance from a top floor east facing at the Hyatt Pier 66 or Embassy Suites but I don't see the point because it isn't right there. There are restaurants, drug stores, liquor, grocery and a few other stores on 17th St. ES does not have a free shuttle and you would be better off taking a cab than paying for a shuttle. Hyatt Place north (valuetrips.com has good prices) also has free breakfast but not as nice as ES. Renaissance has a bed and breakfast package sometimes. You might also look at the Alhambra Beach Resort: half block from beach, free breakfast, very close to CVS and restaurants, about a $25 taxi from airport and about $20 to port, great hotel prices, great reviews)

The water taxi is fun but it is not your best bet to get to the beach due to location and cost (there are stops at Hyatt Pier 66 and Hilton Marina but it is 2 to 8 blocks walk from the other 17th St Hotels). The most convenient way to get to the beach from there is taxi, about $15 each way. Public bus #40 and Suntrolley are the cheapest options.

Edited by royalcruz

There are several hotels with free stay AND cruise parking for one week. They will even give you breakfast and take you to the port by shuttle. Some will even pick you up after the cruise but you'd have to check with each hotel to see if they do that (it often will tell you on the websites). Check out these:

Sleep Inn Dania

La Quinta Hollywood

Hampton Inn FLL north and south (north is the closest on this list to the port)

Hampton Inn Plantation

Cambria Suites in Dania Beach is another one that has a Park and Cruise Package. We're booked there for our cruise in less than 3 weeks. I've never stayed there, but many of the reports on this board and in this thread say it's a nice hotel, new and clean.

Thanks

If you can't find a taxi van, each car taxi will only cost about $10-15. Springhill Suites is across from Oakwood Plaza. Most stores will be closed sunday evening but the restaurants will be opened and Kmart closes at 10PM. Walk past the stores and you will find Hollywood Ale House, IMO the best food in the plaza.

I asked you about hotels in Fort Lauderdale near the beach the other day. My question is about our group of 6 hotel rooms Memorial Day weekend 2012 (May 20-27). We just found that the Best Western Plus Oceanside on Seabreeze is already booked up for our pre-cruise stay.

My question is this: is this going to be a weekend where we should book soon in Sept, 2011 or can we wait till January, 2012?

I asked you about hotels in Fort Lauderdale near the beach the other day. My question is about our group of 6 hotel rooms Memorial Day weekend 2012 (May 20-27). We just found that the Best Western Plus Oceanside on Seabreeze is already booked up for our pre-cruise stay.

My question is this: is this going to be a weekend where we should book soon in Sept, 2011 or can we wait till January, 2012?

Holiday weekends are usually busy at the beach. If you can book in advance without making a commitment, that would be good.

There are no restaurants very close other than in the Hilton and Sheraton and there are no shops. I have read that if you book through Priceline you will be put into a smoking room at that Hilton, which is one of the only hotels left in town that allows smoking indoors. Otherwise, the hotel is fine, a basic older 3 star hotel with a pool.

Thanks so much. As usual, you are a wealth of information.

royalcruz ... you seem to have alot of knowledge of the area ...can you help me out here

last year we stayed at a brand new hampton INN near FLL but there was nothing in walking distance.. we had a rental car so not an issue ... this year we are not getting a rental car so we need a hotel close to pier, with food and booze in walking distance for around 100 per night and I need 3 rooms

we depart from FL on sunday jan 22 on Solstice we fly in Sat Jan 21 around 3 pm

can you recommend

royalcruz ... you seem to have alot of knowledge of the area ...can you help me out here

last year we stayed at a brand new hampton INN near FLL but there was nothing in walking distance.. we had a rental car so not an issue ... this year we are not getting a rental car so we need a hotel close to pier, with food and booze in walking distance for around 100 per night and I need 3 rooms

we depart from FL on sunday jan 22 on Solstice we fly in Sat Jan 21 around 3 pm

can you recommend

January is an expensive time to book a hotel. These will give you shuttles and breakfast and are located within walking distance to food and wine:

Sleep Inn Dania $135 prepaid with free choice privileges membership

LaQuinta FLL $159/$143 AARP or AAA

I don't know anything for less that would be recommended or safe.

Alhambra Beach Resort has rooms from $139 and up and gives you breakfast. It has everything you want but is $20-25 each way for port/airport taxi. It is small, and the rooms vary in price, so if you want 3 rooms you need to contact them ASAP.

Thanks for your response...we are finding prices considerably higher this year

The cruise is more money for a lower category cabin

The airfare was more money for lousiers flight times

And now the hotel is looking like it will be more too

:(

you have already helped me identify a group of hotels in FL adjacent to the beach.

now i would ask what are two or three all around good hotels in the $100-$150 per night price range that are NOT ADJACENT TO THE BEACH:

family friendly

nice outdoor pool and surrounding area

reasonable travel from FL airport to hotel and from hotel to pier (doesn't have to be free shuttle service)

food/drugstore nearby

safe neighborhood

thanks ahead for your input

We are flying in to FLL, 12/02/11, my daughter and I. We are looking for a nice hotel that can pick us at the airport (leaving on the Eurodam, 12/03)? I have reserved a room at the Fairfield Inn with breakfast and transport to the ship. $139 without taxes? Is this in a nice area? We like to pick up some bottles of wines to take on the ship. Any stores nearby? and do we use the transport from the hotel or is there shuttles available? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused: