Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Question : Supershuttle are quoting me $42 to go from Miami Airport to the Best Western Plus Oakland Hotel in Fort Lauderdale (November). Is this reasonable? Do I add a tip to this? Need to be sure I have currency. Thanks.

A taxi would cost at least double. If it's only one person it's a great deal. If that's a per person rate and there are 2 of you it's better than breaking even. I read that tip for shuttles is 15% or 20% if they help you with bags.

We are flying in to FLL, 12/02/11, my daughter and I. We are looking for a nice hotel that can pick us at the airport (leaving on the Eurodam, 12/03)? I have reserved a room at the Fairfield Inn with breakfast and transport to the ship. $139 without taxes? Is this in a nice area? We like to pick up some bottles of wines to take on the ship. Any stores nearby? and do we use the transport from the hotel or is there shuttles available? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

The area is fine but I don't think there are any stores nearby. You might as well use the hotel transportation to the ship (shuttles charge per person, so that can get expensive for such a short distance; taxi will be less than $20).

you have already helped me identify a group of hotels in FL adjacent to the beach.

now i would ask what are two or three all around good hotels in the $100-$150 per night price range that are NOT ADJACENT TO THE BEACH:

family friendly

nice outdoor pool and surrounding area

reasonable travel from FL airport to hotel and from hotel to pier (doesn't have to be free shuttle service)

food/drugstore nearby

safe neighborhood

thanks ahead for your input

I don't know about the hotel pools and grounds in that price range. I would imagine they would be very basic. I'm also not sure which hotels are family friendly, as Fort Lauderdale doesn't draw a lot of families, but I'm sure the hotels are used to families now that we have Allure and Oasis. You could try to bid on a 3 or 4 star downtown hotel on Priceline. All of them are safe and close to port/airport/restaurants/drugstores. The new Crowne Plaza is one of the possible wins and it is 6-8 blocks from a drugstore and I wouldn't walk it after dark, but otherwise it is fine, and all the other possible wins are even better.

If you book directly try these:

Sleep Inn Dania

Hampton Inn FLL north

Hyatt Place north (good rates on valuetrips.com)

I don't know about the hotel pools and grounds in that price range. I would imagine they would be very basic. I'm also not sure which hotels are family friendly, as Fort Lauderdale doesn't draw a lot of families, but I'm sure the hotels are used to families now that we have Allure and Oasis. You could try to bid on a 3 or 4 star downtown hotel on Priceline. All of them are safe and close to port/airport/restaurants/drugstores. The new Crowne Plaza is one of the possible wins and it is 6-8 blocks from a drugstore and I wouldn't walk it after dark, but otherwise it is fine, and all the other possible wins are even better.

If you book directly try these:

Sleep Inn Dania

Hampton Inn FLL north

Hyatt Place north (good rates on valuetrips.com)

Do you know if Hyatt has a airport shuttle?

you have already helped me identify a group of hotels in FL adjacent to the beach.

now i would ask what are two or three all around good hotels in the $100-$150 per night price range that are NOT ADJACENT TO THE BEACH:

family friendly

nice outdoor pool and surrounding area

reasonable travel from FL airport to hotel and from hotel to pier (doesn't have to be free shuttle service)

food/drugstore nearby

safe neighborhood

thanks ahead for your input

redlobster, I just noticed that you are traveling after May 1st, and the hotel prices are lower in the summer, starting with May. You should try Embassy Suites, which has a nice pool and everything you want for under $150.

The area is fine but I don't think there are any stores nearby. You might as well use the hotel transportation to the ship (shuttles charge per person, so that can get expensive for such a short distance; taxi will be less than $20).

Thanks for your help, I feel better about our choice, We will take the hotel shuttle out to dinner friday night. Any suggestions anyone?

Since SAS does not service the Miami Airport, what is our best option for economical transportation from MIA to Sleep in in Dania in Mar 8/12. We will use the hotel shuttle to Port Everglades on Mar 9th. We would then require transportation from Port Everglades to MIA on Mar 17th. Looks like a taxi will be quite expensive, so looking for other suggestions.

Thanks

I asked you about hotels in Fort Lauderdale near the beach the other day. My question is about our group of 6 hotel rooms Memorial Day weekend 2012 (May 20-27). We just found that the Best Western Plus Oceanside on Seabreeze is already booked up for our pre-cruise stay.

My question is this: is this going to be a weekend where we should book soon in Sept, 2011 or can we wait till January, 2012?

I would suggest booking now and guaranteeing with a credit card AS LONG AS there is a cancellation window of 24-72 hours ahead of your arrival date. This will always give you a fall-back position in case nothing else happens.

As an aside, whenever I arrange for a group that large (in my family, I'm not a TA, although I would like to be), I look into private homes and condos that can be rented for a short period.

Have a great trip!

Traveling in Dec. to Fort Lauderdale for a holdiay cruise and will arrive 3 days early to soak up the sun. We are staying at the Embassy Suites. Question: Wanting to rent a car, (4 adults), but would like to drop if off as close to cruise terminal as possible on a Sunday morning. Which agency has a close drop off? Any deals to give us a price break???

Thank you,

KB

We booked the Hilton Airport hotel in Fll, then canceled it. The reviews said it had roaches, so we booked the Fairfield inn and suites thru last minute travel for $80.00 in January 2012. Reviews were excellent.

Edited by stormy65

Hello! We are flying in the afternoon of Oct 7th (Friday) for our cruise on Oct. 8th! Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Crowne Plaza Hotel Airport/Cruiseport? I can't seem to find anything about this hotel in this posting. There is a pretty good deal on Expedia right now, but it looks like it does not include a free breakfast. However they do provide free airport and cruiseport transfers! It looks like it is right by the 17th street hotels.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty Six in Ft. Lauderdale? I booked it today for a Jan cruise. I could use it as a standby and book something on Priceline or just keep it.

I was wondering...we are sailing on the R/C Allure and I'm not sure which port # the ship is at or how far it would be from the hotel. You all have a wealth of wisdom and I was wondering if you could share some with me.:D

Thanks for your help, I feel better about our choice, We will take the hotel shuttle out to dinner friday night. Any suggestions anyone?

Rustic Inn Crabhouse is just 5 blocks from Fairfield. Other very popular restaurants within 2 miles on Griffin Rd are Royal India and The Field (Irish).

Since SAS does not service the Miami Airport, what is our best option for economical transportation from MIA to Sleep in in Dania in Mar 8/12. We will use the hotel shuttle to Port Everglades on Mar 9th. We would then require transportation from Port Everglades to MIA on Mar 17th. Looks like a taxi will be quite expensive, so looking for other suggestions.

Thanks

check these services recommended by cc members:

qualitylimo.com

larry's limo 1-800-611-6631

supershuttle

Hello! We are flying in the afternoon of Oct 7th (Friday) for our cruise on Oct. 8th! Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Crowne Plaza Hotel Airport/Cruiseport? I can't seem to find anything about this hotel in this posting. There is a pretty good deal on Expedia right now, but it looks like it does not include a free breakfast. However they do provide free airport and cruiseport transfers! It looks like it is right by the 17th street hotels.

Crowne Plaza opened this year...it is almost a mile from 17th St. It is on the corner of US1 and State Rd 84 (the rd that leads to the south port entrance). It is very close to Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (good) and Ernie's Barbeque (mediocre). I have read good reviews about the hotel.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty Six in Ft. Lauderdale? I booked it today for a Jan cruise. I could use it as a standby and book something on Priceline or just keep it.

I was wondering...we are sailing on the R/C Allure and I'm not sure which port # the ship is at or how far it would be from the hotel. You all have a wealth of wisdom and I was wondering if you could share some with me.:D

Terminal 18 hosts Allure and Oasis. The Pier 66 is about 4 blocks from the port entrance, and terminal 18 is about a mile inside the entrance. I haven't stayed at the hotel but I've been there many times to eat and attend events...it is an older property but is the nicest resort property in Fort Lauderdale other than those on the beach.

Edited by royalcruz

Traveling in Dec. to Fort Lauderdale for a holdiay cruise and will arrive 3 days early to soak up the sun. We are staying at the Embassy Suites. Question: Wanting to rent a car, (4 adults), but would like to drop if off as close to cruise terminal as possible on a Sunday morning. Which agency has a close drop off? Any deals to give us a price break???

Thank you,

KB

Budget has an office across from the port entrance in The Quay plaza. Also, I believe Alamo and National have free shuttles to the port from the airport location, but check with them directly to verify.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks Royal for letting me know about the R/C port being 18. That should help us quite a bit. It looks like it's a little older but the reviews have been pretty good. Anyone else have any experience on the Hyatt pier 66? Thanks ever so much Royal. :D

Crowne Plaza opened this year...it is almost a mile from 17th St. It is on the corner of US1 and State Rd 84 (the rd that leads to the south port entrance). It is very close to Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (good) and Ernie's Barbeque (mediocre). I have read good reviews about the hotel.

Thank you so much for the information! We were wondering if there would be anything to eat then around there. There is a restaurant in the hotel but those are sometimes really expensive for not so great food. The rooms looks really nice and we are just basically going to be there to rest and sleep the night before the trip. (and now probably eat some pizza). :D

Edited by jetta8300