Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are flying into FLL in February the day before we sail out of Miami. Arrival is late afternoon. I would prefer staying in FLL for the night and getting a shuttle to POM in the morning (maybe SAS?) as we might be tired from traveling. Wondering if you think this is a good idea or if we are better off to shuttle to Miami the day of arrival.

Also, what is a good hotel with good food on site (either in Mia or FLL depending on your previous advice).

Thank you!

Edited by just G

Royal,

I see you live in or near FLL. DH & I will be driving down from Central FL the day of our Holland America cruise, 11/14. I was planning on parking at the terminal, but a friend who cruises frequently said its better/cheaper to park off termnial. Shuttles can be a PITA, but my friend suggested first dropping our luggage off, and then going to the parking lot. When we return, we would just call the parking lot once we got our luggage, and the shuttle would come for us.

Can you suggets a off-site parking lot, or are we better off just parking at the terminal?

TIA,

Ellen

Does anyone know what traffic is like on weekday mornings coming out of the airport? My small group of 6 is planning a December cruise and will most likely arrive at FLL around 6:30am on a Thursday (or Friday). We're trying to decide if it would be realistic to book a tour that picks us up at Hyatt Place North (1851 SE 10th) around 7:30am the morning we arrive. Is that cutting it too close? We're also looking at the Crowne Plaza on SE 24th/S.R. 84 and Renaissance on SE 17th. Would either of those hotels be any better (time-wise)? :confused:

Also, would the $6/person shuttle from the Hyatt to Port Everglades be worth it or would it be cheaper to cab it since we've got 6?

Does anyone know what traffic is like on weekday mornings coming out of the airport? My small group of 6 is planning a December cruise and will most likely arrive at FLL around 6:30am on a Thursday (or Friday). We're trying to decide if it would be realistic to book a tour that picks us up at Hyatt Place North (1851 SE 10th) around 7:30am the morning we arrive. Is that cutting it too close? We're also looking at the Crowne Plaza on SE 24th/S.R. 84 and Renaissance on SE 17th. Would either of those hotels be any better (time-wise)? :confused:

Also, would the $6/person shuttle from the Hyatt to Port Everglades be worth it or would it be cheaper to cab it since we've got 6?

These hotels are so close that I wouldn't worry about traffic or cab fare. 7:30 might be cutting it a little close if you are picking up luggage, but you'll probably make it.

Royal,

I see you live in or near FLL. DH & I will be driving down from Central FL the day of our Holland America cruise, 11/14. I was planning on parking at the terminal, but a friend who cruises frequently said its better/cheaper to park off termnial. Shuttles can be a PITA, but my friend suggested first dropping our luggage off, and then going to the parking lot. When we return, we would just call the parking lot once we got our luggage, and the shuttle would come for us.

Can you suggets a off-site parking lot, or are we better off just parking at the terminal?

TIA,

Ellen

Sorry, I always get a private ride to the port so I don't know about parking. I'm sure the port parking would be most convenient though.

We are flying into FLL in February the day before we sail out of Miami. Arrival is late afternoon. I would prefer staying in FLL for the night and getting a shuttle to POM in the morning (maybe SAS?) as we might be tired from traveling. Wondering if you think this is a good idea or if we are better off to shuttle to Miami the day of arrival.

Also, what is a good hotel with good food on site (either in Mia or FLL depending on your previous advice).

Thank you!

I would stay close to FLL and you'll have plenty of time to get to POM in the AM. Embassy Suites has free cooked to order breakfast and is located right next to a bunch of restaurants. Sleep Inn has free FLL shuttle and breakfast buffet and is next to a yummy Mexican restaurant. If you're looking for a good dinner right on sight you'll probably have to go with the finer hotels like Riverside, Marriott Harbor Beach, Ritz Carlton, W, or Atlantic.

These hotels are so close that I wouldn't worry about traffic or cab fare. 7:30 might be cutting it a little close if you are picking up luggage, but you'll probably make it.

Thank you for the response and for all the super-useful information that you've provided throughout the board. :)

My head is spinning....to help me sort it out, does anyone know the answer to these questions?!?!

1) Embassy Suites, good, but no shuttles?

2) Hampton Inn Plantation vs. North?

3) Spring hill Suites, are there free shuttles to both the airport and cruise terminal? I have read conflicting posts.

Sorry to be annoying and probably ask the same question others have, but I am looking for a hotel for one night pre cruise for our family of 4 (including 2 preschoolers). A shuttle to/from the airport and cruise terminal and located close to a Target type store. Does such a dream hotel exist?!? Thanks!!!

After scouring these posts and various review sites I finally found our perfect hotel! Realized that the nicest hotels were already completely booked for my 1/8/2012 departure:( I jumped on booking the Hampton Inn Plantation as it was still available. Looks like a great area (near a mall and Whole Foods...can't be too bad), only good reviews and it has free shuttle service to/from port and airport:) It was MUCH less than other hotels I had been considering.

After scouring these posts and various review sites I finally found our perfect hotel! Realized that the nicest hotels were already completely booked for my 1/8/2012 departure:( I jumped on booking the Hampton Inn Plantation as it was still available. Looks like a great area (near a mall and Whole Foods...can't be too bad), only good reviews and it has free shuttle service to/from port and airport:) It was MUCH less than other hotels I had been considering.

Great choice, and there is a Target behind Broward Mall! I think the shuttle driver there will take you to local restaurants if it is too much for your little ones to walk.

Royalcruz, thanks for all your helpful info on the area! So nice to hear a local's insight and recommendations. I am sure there are a million chain restaurants surrounding the mall, but any local recommendations? While on vacation, we try to avoid restaurants that we could eat at back home:)

p.s. My parents will be flying into FLL the week after us and staying at the LaQuinta (the one all the cruisers stay at). My dad is a simple small town guy and loves to find "Mom & Pop" restaurants where ever they go. Any suggestions for somewhere to get a good burger and slice of pie near the La Quinta? Thank you!!!

Royalcruz, thanks for all your helpful info on the area! So nice to hear a local's insight and recommendations. I am sure there are a million chain restaurants surrounding the mall, but any local recommendations? While on vacation, we try to avoid restaurants that we could eat at back home:)

p.s. My parents will be flying into FLL the week after us and staying at the LaQuinta (the one all the cruisers stay at). My dad is a simple small town guy and loves to find "Mom & Pop" restaurants where ever they go. Any suggestions for somewhere to get a good burger and slice of pie near the La Quinta? Thank you!!!

Plantation is a family area, so there are mostly chain restaurants. There is a Padrino's in The Fountains near the Hampton Inn. It is a local chain but they have good Cuban food. There is also a huge Asian buffet, Dragon Buffet on University Dr. near Peter's Rd. If you've never been to a Sweet Tomatos, there is one in The Fountains too...it is all you can eat salad, soup, muffins, etc.

Your parents are staying at the LaQuinta in Hollywood. There are only casual chain restaurants that I can think of...Hollywood Ale House is the best there, a good local sports bar/grill chain.

I was wondering if they had free shuttle service. How did you find this out? Is it on their website and I just happened to miss it? :)

Trying to book flights out of FLL after our cruise. We are sailing on HAL and wondering how early of a flight we could realistically catch out of FLL. Any advice? Thanks!

Anything after 11 or 11:30 will give you plenty of time. You can make an earlier flight but will feel a bit pressured.

So, I was all set to book The Pillars for our 2 nights pre cruise stay...but now I have an internet special for The Atlantic for $130 less!

I love the look of both hotels, but is one in a better location than the other? Any other reasons I should pick one over the other?

Thanks!

I am looking to do some shopping in May prior to my cruise at Sawgrass mill mall .I was wondering if you had any recommendations for hotels I try for Crowne Plaza but it was unavailable during my time frame. I would like to stay in safe neighbor hood as we are two girls.

So, I was all set to book The Pillars for our 2 nights pre cruise stay...but now I have an internet special for The Atlantic for $130 less!

I love the look of both hotels, but is one in a better location than the other? Any other reasons I should pick one over the other?

Thanks!

I answered on the thread that you started.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1486093

Edited by royalcruz

I am looking to do some shopping in May prior to my cruise at Sawgrass mill mall .I was wondering if you had any recommendations for hotels I try for Crowne Plaza but it was unavailable during my time frame. I would like to stay in safe neighbor hood as we are two girls.

There are a few hotels in Plantation that would be a short cab ride from Sawgrass mall: LaQuinta, Hampton Inn, Hyatt Place. Some of these hotels might offer port or airport shuttles for free, so call the hotel directly to check on this before booking. The Plantation Renaissance is nice but I don't think they have any free shuttles.

What do think of the Marriott Residence Inn Platation on 130 N University Drive . We are staying a week and would like a kitchen if possilble and in safe area otherwise would take a nice hotel under 150 dollars

I'm not familiar with that hotel but the neighborhood is a nice family-oriented area. I hope that you will have a car to get to the grocery store and to venture outside of Plantation.

Found the Crown Plaza on LMT for $83. A good place to stay? We will be flying in late so just need a decent place to sleep, maybe somewhere to grab a bite to eat that night, then somewhere close buy to get some beverages/wine before boarding the next morning.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ajhunt2

T HANKS for all your info,could have missed some info tho WOULD it be best just to go to SAWGRASS MALL area after cruise OR just stay at hotels close to airport/cruiseport? we have Hampton inn booked before cruise,we fly in from Canada. cabfares or buses to mall,how far is the mall from Fort launderdale ? THANKS so much,will keep going thru recent posts!!!!:p