Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi, We're planning on cruising on Oct 28, the same wkend as the Boat Show. Any suggestions as to how far out of town we should stay on Saturday night, Oct 27? We usually stay at the HI Express on SE17 or at the Riverside, but I noticed they are priced about $100 more than 'normal'.

Maybe we should rent a car, we usually dont when we cruise from Ft Lauderdale?

Any chance that the prices will go down if bookings are lower than expected for the hotels near the waterway (SE17th ST, ect)?

Or is this just a bad idea and we should cruise from somewhere else on this week?

Thanks!

Bookings and prices aren't likely to go down. I would suggest booking the Sleep Inn Dania now at 79.99. They'll give you free shuttles and there are Publix and a couple of restaurants next door.

First time on this thread....would like to know if we made a good choice or should we venture PL. We have booked for 4 nights the Embassy suites for $200.00 for four. Should we try PL for a beach hotel. It would be nice to have brecky at hotel and be near water taxi, trolley, etc. I think we are in a good area.. we like walking boardwalks, etc but not laying on the beach kind of people.

We would like to do an airboat but do not know where to Post!

Due to my surgery do not know where to shop for clothes for cruise and thought maybe I could do some shopping in FL. Take trolley or cab for this.

Someone said there is a clothes exchange on c.c to purchase, cannot find it?

Thanks

First off, let me compliment you on your wiilingness to provide such oustanding (and extremely accurate) information. DW and I have found your recommendations to be perfect each time we have been to Ft. Lauderdale.

My next trip to Ft. Lauderdale will be the second week of October and my purpose is not directly cruise related. DW will actuall be on a west coast cruise with SIL and I am going to Ft. Lauderdale to do some research.

I plan on spending about 3 days looking at neighborhoods with the idea of ultimately purchasing a vacation (or retirement) home. I'd like to find 3 real estate agents, perhaps from different parts of the Ft. Lauderdale area (thinking like Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, who knows what else). I'd like to interview them to get an idea of how well they will help us determine our priorities.

Do you have any specific recommendations for realtors? I'm not tryiing to put you on the spot. If this is a subject you'd rather not get into, I'm OK with that.

Or do you have a recommendation for an alternate approach?

Thanks so much for all your kindness and thoughtfulness.

Hi everyone!

Sorry for being lazy but I am getting very near to my cruise and have so many things to do I am having a hard time putting everything together. My cruise if Feb18th and things are busy - I guess because of the boat show in Miami.

I would like to be in Fort Lauderdale 2 nights before the cruise. I have never been to FLL. I have done some research and the Bahia looked good but it is booked, so is the Sheraton. I would like to be on/near the beach, near shopping, restaurants but not too far from pier - I want to experience Fort Lauderdale! Don't want to spend more that $200 (if that's possible!). Won't have a car.

Thank you!!!!

Laura

Hello.

Great thread but I will admit, at 100+ pages I did not read every posting. :o So I apologize if you have answered my question already. We will be cruising in March and staying at the Westin Beach Resort pre-cruise for one night. Post-cruise our flight isn't until 8:40 pm.

I was hoping you could offer a recommended hotel for the day where we could use the pool/beach facilities and store our luggage. Do any hotels along the beach offer day passes?

Thanks.

Al

Hi everyone!

Sorry for being lazy but I am getting very near to my cruise and have so many things to do I am having a hard time putting everything together. My cruise if Feb18th and things are busy - I guess because of the boat show in Miami.

I would like to be in Fort Lauderdale 2 nights before the cruise. I have never been to FLL. I have done some research and the Bahia looked good but it is booked, so is the Sheraton. I would like to be on/near the beach, near shopping, restaurants but not too far from pier - I want to experience Fort Lauderdale! Don't want to spend more that $200 (if that's possible!). Won't have a car.

Thank you!!!!

Laura

We like the Embassy Suites in Fort Lauderdale - big rooms, great breakfast, shopping and dining options within walking distance and free happy hour. Close to the port. Good luck! :)

First time on this thread....would like to know if we made a good choice or should we venture PL. We have booked for 4 nights the Embassy suites for $200.00 for four. Should we try PL for a beach hotel. It would be nice to have brecky at hotel and be near water taxi, trolley, etc. I think we are in a good area.. we like walking boardwalks, etc but not laying on the beach kind of people.

Due to my surgery do not know where to shop for clothes for cruise and thought maybe I could do some shopping in FL. Take trolley or cab for this.

Thanks

There are a couple of boutiques in the Harbor Shops behind ES and a Ross across the street, but there are no other clothing shops in that area. You can take the 40 bus to Galleria Mall or you can stay next to Galleria Mall at Gallery One. You can walk to the beach from there and walk around though it is not a big commercial area.

First off, let me compliment you on your wiilingness to provide such oustanding (and extremely accurate) information. DW and I have found your recommendations to be perfect each time we have been to Ft. Lauderdale.

My next trip to Ft. Lauderdale will be the second week of October and my purpose is not directly cruise related. DW will actuall be on a west coast cruise with SIL and I am going to Ft. Lauderdale to do some research.

I plan on spending about 3 days looking at neighborhoods with the idea of ultimately purchasing a vacation (or retirement) home. I'd like to find 3 real estate agents, perhaps from different parts of the Ft. Lauderdale area (thinking like Pembroke Pines, Sunrise, who knows what else). I'd like to interview them to get an idea of how well they will help us determine our priorities.

Do you have any specific recommendations for realtors? I'm not tryiing to put you on the spot. If this is a subject you'd rather not get into, I'm OK with that.

Or do you have a recommendation for an alternate approach?

Thanks so much for all your kindness and thoughtfulness.

I know realtors who specialize in Fort Lauderdale, but not the other cities that you mentioned.

Thanks

also go on the boards to cruise discussion topics, then cruise fashions & beauty

Hello.

Great thread but I will admit, at 100+ pages I did not read every posting. :o So I apologize if you have answered my question already. We will be cruising in March and staying at the Westin Beach Resort pre-cruise for one night. Post-cruise our flight isn't until 8:40 pm.

I was hoping you could offer a recommended hotel for the day where we could use the pool/beach facilities and store our luggage. Do any hotels along the beach offer day passes?

Thanks.

Al

There are no hotels that I know of that have consistantly offered day passes. However, if you book a room for the night you might be able to check in early and if not the hotel will store your luggage and you will be able to get into the room by 3 or 4 to shower and get ready for travel. The Westin is in a nice location for post cruise too. Another nice option is Lago Mar although it is not in an area where you can walk to things. It is right on the beach and has a bar and food and is the closest beachfront hotel to the port and maybe even to the airport.

Hi everyone!

Thank you!!!!

Laura

Also look at Courtyard, Best Western Oceanside, Marriott Harbor Beach, Hilton, Westin, W, Atlantic, B Ocean, Ritz Carlton, Gallery One.

We are spending three nights pre-cruise at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 mid April (got a great rate last time through Priceline at the W, no such luck this time!). Anywhere for stone crabs?

Thanks

Bimini Boatyard

15th St Fisheries

Truluck's at Galleria Mall (has all-you-can-eat Monday nights)

Grill 66 at the hotel has great food too. I don't know if they ever get stone crabs.

Does the bus pick up close to Sleep Inn, and how long does it take to get to nearest water taxi stop?

You will need to take 2 buses to the nearest water taxi stop at Joe's bar. First take the 12 east on Sheridan St, then take the 4 south. It would only be about $9 each way by taxicab and will only take 4 minutes. By bus it could take a long time with the waiting times. This will take you to the Hollywood Water Taxi. If you want to see Fort Lauderdale by water be sure to catch the boat going in the direction of the Hilton Marina.

Hi,

My family and I are coming into FLL in August for 1 night pre-cruise. We are 4 adults and 1 12-year old and would like to use one room not two. I can get a suite for $144 at the HI Express & Suites (W State rd 84), or a suite for $185 at Embassy stes on 17th street. We will not have a car and will need to do dinner only on arrival night and breakfast on departure morning. Also need transport to port for 5 people and luggage. Recommendations/suggestions? All help appreciated.

Kathy

Greylady

Working on RCCL Diamond Plus!