Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Can you recommend a decent place to stay, close to shopping, with free airport and cruise port shuttles? My budget is flexible but kids would enjoy a pool and I would enjoy a couple of reasonably priced drinks or proximity to somewhere to purchase a six pack of beer.

Looking for a 1 night pre and 1 night post stay of RCCL Oasis October 12th sailing.

Can you recommend a decent place to stay, close to shopping, with free airport and cruise port shuttles? My budget is flexible but kids would enjoy a pool and I would enjoy a couple of reasonably priced drinks or proximity to somewhere to purchase a six pack of beer.

Looking for a 1 night pre and 1 night post stay of RCCL Oasis October 12th sailing.

Very few hotels have free port shuttles anymore. If your budget is flexible, you will have more choices if you give that up. The only one that I can think of that meets all of your criteria is Hampton Inn FLL North (there might be a couple of others). There is a Big Lots, Winn-Dixie, and sports bar within an easy walking distance.http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-airport-north-cruise-port-FLLANHX/index.html

If you give up on the free port shuttle, you can get a good rate on Hyatt Place Convention Center, in a good location with shopping, restaurants, and bars around. A taxi to the port will be about $10-15. Valuetrips has good rates for this hotel.

Very few hotels have free port shuttles anymore. If your budget is flexible, you will have more choices if you give that up. The only one that I can think of that meets all of your criteria is Hampton Inn FLL North (there might be a couple of others). There is a Big Lots, Winn-Dixie, and sports bar within an easy walking distance.http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hampton-inn-ft-lauderdale-airport-north-cruise-port-FLLANHX/index.html

If you give up on the free port shuttle, you can get a good rate on Hyatt Place Convention Center, in a good location with shopping, restaurants, and bars around. A taxi to the port will be about $10-15. Valuetrips has good rates for this hotel.

We're staying at this hotel next weekend. Would you recommend that sports bar for a family or somewhere else nearby?

We're staying at this hotel next weekend. Would you recommend that sports bar for a family or somewhere else nearby?

I haven't been to Slackers Sports Bar but the reviews say it's pretty good and it's ok for a family. Old Heidelberg is another good choice on that block. If you just want a quick bite there is also Wendy's, McD's, Subway, and take out pizza and Chinese. There is also a Cuban restaurant but I haven't eaten there.

Edited by royalcruz

I swear I get planning obsessed. I found a RT flight to Ft. Lauderdale for $200. Of course it is with Spirit. Luckily my cruise is Nov. 1-4. on RCCL Majesty of the Seas in Miami. Thus I can get away using only a backpack. I fly into FLL on Oct. 31 in late evening. I booked the Sheraton by the airport. I will use a shared van service to get to Port of Miami. My dilemma is returning back to Ft. Lauderdale airport. I have a late flight. I had planned to book an excursion that would return me to the airport and waste a few hours. I looked and nothing suitable. Any suggestions on how to spend about 9 hours without involving a rental car?

We have booked two rooms at the Hyatt Place for one night per-cruise (Allure) in June for our family of six.We should arrive at hotel about 3pm. A couple of questions:

1) what's the closest place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine to carry on the ship?

2) we would like to take the trolley to ride out to the beach. Not interested in swimming but would like to walk a bit and have dinner at a nice place with a view that is family friendly. Any suggestions?

3) are the trolleys crowded on a late Saturday afternoon/evening? We have six people including seniors that would not be able to stand.

We have booked two rooms at the Hyatt Place for one night per-cruise (Allure) in June for our family of six.We should arrive at hotel about 3pm. A couple of questions:

1) what's the closest place to pick up a couple of bottles of wine to carry on the ship?

2) we would like to take the trolley to ride out to the beach. Not interested in swimming but would like to walk a bit and have dinner at a nice place with a view that is family friendly. Any suggestions?

3) are the trolleys crowded on a late Saturday afternoon/evening? We have six people including seniors that would not be able to stand.

Hi:) if you are staying at The Hyatt that is on Cordova near 17th

Street? There is a Publix within walking distance and they sell

wine.:)

Edited by Lois R

I swear I get planning obsessed. I found a RT flight to Ft. Lauderdale for $200. Of course it is with Spirit. Luckily my cruise is Nov. 1-4. on RCCL Majesty of the Seas in Miami. Thus I can get away using only a backpack. I fly into FLL on Oct. 31 in late evening. I booked the Sheraton by the airport. I will use a shared van service to get to Port of Miami. My dilemma is returning back to Ft. Lauderdale airport. I have a late flight. I had planned to book an excursion that would return me to the airport and waste a few hours. I looked and nothing suitable. Any suggestions on how to spend about 9 hours without involving a rental car?

Take a shared shuttle like SAS to FLL (about $15), then a taxi to/from downtown(about $20 each way). Or take a taxi to South Beach and another one to FLL (about $100 all together).

Like Lois, I'm going to assume that you are staying at the 17th St/Convention Center location.

1) Publix and Total Wine are in the Harbor Shops and have a great selection.

2) Families like Oasis, Bubba Gumps, and Bahia Cabana (marina view).

3) I have no idea and I imagine that this varies. You could also consider taking the public bus 40. You can find the bus and trolley schedules online.

Thanks for the speedy responses! I booked the Hyatt through Valuetrips (?). I believe it says is is at the Convention Center. Does that sound right? Thanks for the restaurant ideas! We leave for Florida 4 weeks from today!

Thanks for the speedy responses! I booked the Hyatt through Valuetrips (?). I believe it says is is at the Convention Center. Does that sound right? Thanks for the restaurant ideas! We leave for Florida 4 weeks from today!
Yes...this is the 17th street location so the info given above would apply. We just stayed at Embassy Suites which is a short distance from Hyatt and it is a great location to pick up last minute things. The only thing I noticed about the Trolley is that it doesn't run past 6:30 on saturday (I could certainly be wrong about that so someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Total Wine and Publix are definitely close to your hotel...easy walk!

Do you have any park-n-cruise hotel suggestions for a FL party of 11? We're cruising on 12.28.13 for 7 nights. TIA.

Homewood and Cambria offer parking and multi-bed suites. Homewood will shuttle you to/from the port for a fee. Cambria will shuttle you to the port for free. Also check out Hampton Inn FLL north.

Edited by royalcruz

Any idea if there is any hotel that offer complimentary round trip shuttle to both FLL and cruise port THAT has a courtesy phone on both the baggage claim area of FLL and at the cruise port?

My mobile is roaming so it will be expensive for me to call the hotel for the free shuttle both on arrival from FLL and at the port after the cruise.

I am going to be unable to respond to posts for a few weeks. I hope that some other locals and travelers can check in here and help. :)

Hi Sharon, hope everything is ok with you!

I am going to be unable to respond to posts for a few weeks. I hope that some other locals and travelers can check in here and help. :)

Oh, hope everything is OK with you. You'll certainly be missed - hurry back:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked Holiday Inn Express hotel, in 17 St. We booked for 2 nights. First night $188.00 and June 2nd for $154.00 plus tax.I hope it is a good rate. We are coming from Los Angeles so it look like we might need to catch a night flight, so by the time we get to FFL it is morning this is why we booked for 2 nights. I fell that $188.00 for June 1st is high. Can any one tell me if the location is right? Do we truly need 2 night to see FFL? Any one has a cheaper hotel/motel in the same area? I was trying to book something in the center of everything so we can get out in the evening or day time and be in the center of everything. We never stayed in FFL and never been their so I'm not sure were to book. As I said it will be my mother and my self so it is important for us to be safe and were we don't need to take to many taxi's. We also get free shuttle from air port and to cruise ship and breakfast.

We are flying into FLL on July 18th. We cruise out of Miami July 20th. We are taking our 18 year old daughter and her friend. It was suggested that we stay in FLL area. I am so confused trying to figure out what to do. Should we rent a car. Which hotel should we stay at. We like to hang out at the pool and the beach and of course do some shoping. Last year we cruised out of Tampa and spent a day at Clearwater beach and loved it! We also stayed at the Marriott channel side ..... It was perfect.

For some reason the more I read about the FLL area the more confused I get. :confused:

I would love any and all suggestions.

Thank you!:)

Sharon....is there any brand new hotels that just open or one that is recently renovated? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi, Sharon said she won't be on here for a few weeks.......I would

try GOOGLE;)