Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

This is one long thread!

We're leaving out of FLL at the end of April. We have a two year old so I'd like to fly in early the day before and have a day to relax before we cruise. Hoping you can suggest a nice hotel with an awesome pool area and any other appropriate activities to get us into a cruising mind set! I'm willing to pay a little extra for comfortable beds, safety, and a fun day with my family. Bonus points if there's fishing nearby for my die hard partner.

Lauderdale by the Sea has the best fishing pier but there are no hotels with even close to awesome pool areas there. These have awesome pool areas: Marriott Harbor Beach (right on the beach, huge pool, relaxing) and W Hotel (across from the beach, fun DJ music on weekends, great beds), Ritz Carlton (across from the beach, relaxing), Pelican Grand (on the beach but not much of a beach there, lazy river pool).

Lauderdale by the Sea has the best fishing pier but there are no hotels with even close to awesome pool areas there. These have awesome pool areas: Marriott Harbor Beach (right on the beach, huge pool, relaxing) and W Hotel (across from the beach, fun DJ music on weekends, great beds), Ritz Carlton (across from the beach, relaxing), Pelican Grand (on the beach but not much of a beach there, lazy river pool).

Laud by the Sea fishing pier (Anglin's Pier) is only about 5 miles from these hotels or you can find a fishing charter boat in the big marina on A1A near Bahia Mar hotel.

We'll be staying at the Hollywood Marriott Beach before our upcoming cruise in May. We've stayed there several times & love it. I was just wondering if there is a store within walking distance where we can buy a case of water. I've never seen one, but we always walk along the Broadwalk, never strayed from it.

I usually end up packing water in the suitcase, its a hassle, and very heavy. I'm really hoping to avoid that this year and just buy water the night before the cruise. Any suggestions?

We'll be staying at the Hollywood Marriott Beach before our upcoming cruise in May. We've stayed there several times & love it. I was just wondering if there is a store within walking distance where we can buy a case of water. I've never seen one, but we always walk along the Broadwalk, never strayed from it.

I usually end up packing water in the suitcase, its a hassle, and very heavy. I'm really hoping to avoid that this year and just buy water the night before the cruise. Any suggestions?

There are no grocery stores or drug stores. There a few convenience stores in the area...the closest is Food King, about 6 blocks north, but I don't know what it's like there.

In July my best friend (28) and I (29) are getting into Fort Lauderdale Saturday morning and cruising on a Sunday. Looking for an inexpensive hotel that is in an active location. Seeing as how we are spending the whole day in Fort Lauderdale we need suggestions on what to do. We are thinking of going to the beach during the day and then something that evening. We are walkers so if we could find a hotel with a lot around it that would be great but we have no problem taking a taxi. So recommendations on where to eat, stay, and what to do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have gone back 20 pages and I would like information on the Crowne Plaza Airport-Cruise hotel.

I won Crowne Plaza Airport-Cruise hotel on Priceline.

Do we need a car? Hotel says it has shuttle from airport to hotel.

What is around this hotel - restaurants, trolley, grocery store?

We like to do the water taxi.

Edited by phabric

I have gone back 20 pages and I would like information on the Crowne Plaza Airport-Cruise hotel.

I won Crowne Plaza Airport-Cruise hotel on Priceline.

Do we need a car? Hotel says it has shuttle from airport to hotel.

What is around this hotel - restaurants, trolley, grocery store?

We like to do the water taxi.

Crowne Plaze is about 2 miles from the water taxi and a mile from the active part of SE 17th St. and trolley and Publix. Anthony's Coal Fired pizza and Ernie's Barbeque are an easy walk.

Edited by royalcruz

In July my best friend (28) and I (29) are getting into Fort Lauderdale Saturday morning and cruising on a Sunday. Looking for an inexpensive hotel that is in an active location. Seeing as how we are spending the whole day in Fort Lauderdale we need suggestions on what to do. We are thinking of going to the beach during the day and then something that evening. We are walkers so if we could find a hotel with a lot around it that would be great but we have no problem taking a taxi. So recommendations on where to eat, stay, and what to do would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For the best rates at the beach try Alhambra Beach Resort (a nice little place with a great location) or Doubletree Bahia Mar (best prices are on hiltonfamilymvp using a free hhonors number). You'll be by both beach and restaurants/nightlife. Best Western Oceanside is another option but you'll have to walk about a mile to get to most places other than the beach. The best location for nightlife is downtown...Riverside Hotel. If you can't get a good deal there, you can take the trolley or short taxi ride (2-3 miles) from the beach hotels. All of these hotels are on the trolley routes.

Crowne Plaze is about 2 miles from the water taxi and a mile from the active part of SE 17th St. and trolley and Publix. Anthony's Coal Fired pizza and Ernie's Barbeque are an easy walk.

Thank you for the information.

Have you been to these restaurants?

Thank you for the information.

Have you been to these restaurants?

I've been to Ernie's and to a different Anthony's. They are ok for a simple casual meal. Ernie's is known for its conch chowder and bimini bread and Anthony's serves up good pizza, salad, and grilled chicken wings.

I've been to Ernie's and to a different Anthony's. They are ok for a simple casual meal. Ernie's is known for its conch chowder and bimini bread and Anthony's serves up good pizza, salad, and grilled chicken wings.

we stayed at the Crowne Plaza and ate at Anthonys . If you like pizza it was very good. we used a taxi to the Hilton water taxi stop and back. If you are taking a taxi to the port and there are a lot of ships in there might be a bit of a wait for a cab and you are at the mercy of the driver. He charged us 20 dollars for what should have been a 10 dollar ride

For the best rates at the beach try Alhambra Beach Resort (a nice little place with a great location) or Doubletree Bahia Mar (best prices are on hiltonfamilymvp using a free hhonors number). You'll be by both beach and restaurants/nightlife. Best Western Oceanside is another option but you'll have to walk about a mile to get to most places other than the beach. The best location for nightlife is downtown...Riverside Hotel. If you can't get a good deal there, you can take the trolley or short taxi ride (2-3 miles) from the beach hotels. All of these hotels are on the trolley routes.

Thank you so much Sharon! Greatly appreciated!

Any advice for staying at the Pelican Grand for a Sunday night after a cruise? I heard about a Sunday Brunch, but I can't find any info about it on the hotel website.

Just call the hotel about the sunday brunch. There isn't much within walking distance, but Galleria Mall is about a mile away and there are a few casual restaurants about a half mile away (south on A1A). Shooters and Chart House are less than a mile away if you go north and turn left on 30th St.

We are doing a transatlantic from Southhampton to Fort Lauderdale in November 2013. We plan to drive to Florida and stay a few days in Ft. Lauderdale before flying out of Miami to the UK. We are flying out of Miami for several reasons, i.e. direct flight and less air time, cost and timing. We are looking for options to leave the car in Fort Lauderdale(for 25 or 26 days) so it will be there when we disembark and also for getting from Fort Lauderdale (probably from a hotel or wherever we leave the car) to the Miami airport. Any advice on parking options and transport to the Miami airport would be appreciated.

We will be staying on Las Olas Blvd. Can we call ahead and order wine from Total Wine and stop to pick it up in a taxi on the way to the pier? Or should my husband take a taxi to Total the day before?

Edited by mamaofami

We will be staying on Las Olas Blvd. Can we call ahead and order wine from Total Wine and stop to pick it up in a taxi on the way to the pier? Or should my husband take a taxi to Total the day before?

You are cruising on a Monday, so Total Wine will be open in the morning on the way to the port. You can order ahead; I've never done this. Hopefully they have a pay by phone option so that you don't have to keep the taxi waiting.