Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We are flying into FLL on July 18th. We cruise out of Miami July 20th. We are taking our 18 year old daughter and her friend. It was suggested that we stay in FLL area. I am so confused trying to figure out what to do. Should we rent a car. Which hotel should we stay at. We like to hang out at the pool and the beach and of course do some shoping. Last year we cruised out of Tampa and spent a day at Clearwater beach and loved it! We also stayed at the Marriott channel side ..... It was perfect.

For some reason the more I read about the FLL area the more confused I get. :confused:

I would love any and all suggestions.

Thank you!:)

Check out Gallery One and B Ocean for beach and mall within walking distance. You don't need a car.

Just booked Holiday Inn Express hotel, in 17 St. We booked for 2 nights. First night $188.00 and June 2nd for $154.00 plus tax.I hope it is a good rate. We are coming from Los Angeles so it look like we might need to catch a night flight, so by the time we get to FFL it is morning this is why we booked for 2 nights. I fell that $188.00 for June 1st is high. Can any one tell me if the location is right? Do we truly need 2 night to see FFL? Any one has a cheaper hotel/motel in the same area? I was trying to book something in the center of everything so we can get out in the evening or day time and be in the center of everything. We never stayed in FFL and never been their so I'm not sure were to book. As I said it will be my mother and my self so it is important for us to be safe and were we don't need to take to many taxi's. We also get free shuttle from air port and to cruise ship and breakfast.

I assume this is a year away. Just don't prepay and keep checking back for price drops. 17th St isn't "in the center of everything"...it's near the port and restaurants and hotels. There isn't a lot to see in Fort Lauderdale, but a better location IMO would be at the beach or at Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. Don't expect free shuttles or free breakfast in those locations.

I assume this is a year away. Just don't prepay and keep checking back for price drops. 17th St isn't "in the center of everything"...it's near the port and restaurants and hotels. There isn't a lot to see in Fort Lauderdale, but a better location IMO would be at the beach or at Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd. Don't expect free shuttles or free breakfast in those locations.

Welcome back! Hope all is well!

I'm so confused and truly need help. I booked Holiday Inn Express near cruise ship with shuttle to cruise and from air port. My only thing is would I be better off in or near Las Olas. I want us to be able to get out of the hotel and have some fun during the day and evening. My problem is were is this area? Las Olas or 17th St. The lady at the Riverside was just LOVING her area as far as tourist and fun at night. Than again I thought that Down Town is "not much to do" and we are better off at 17th St. The Riverside do NOT offer shuttle or breakfast. So which one of these 2 area's is more of were tourist stay???? We don't like to take taxi's at night as we are 2 females. Thanks so much for all of the help

Duffy's is the sports bar and great food and good for families. I am hoping to spend a night there if my beloved hawks win to night to watch the Stanley cup finals!

Edited by mar915

I'm so confused and truly need help. I booked Holiday Inn Express near cruise ship with shuttle to cruise and from air port. My only thing is would I be better off in or near Las Olas. I want us to be able to get out of the hotel and have some fun during the day and evening. My problem is were is this area? Las Olas or 17th St. The lady at the Riverside was just LOVING her area as far as tourist and fun at night. Than again I thought that Down Town is "not much to do" and we are better off at 17th St. The Riverside do NOT offer shuttle or breakfast. So which one of these 2 area's is more of were tourist stay???? We don't like to take taxi's at night as we are 2 females. Thanks so much for all of the help

Hi...I travel on my own and have sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale for many

years and have never had any taxi issues.

As for Las Olas vs 17th Street? Las Olas is a Blvd.....one long

Blvd that has many shops and restaurants, along with a water

taxi pick up spot located behind The Riverside Hotel.

No, the hotel doesn't offer a shuttle but they have a restaurant

inside the hotel and if you want something really delicious, there

is a restaurant called "Bonne Crepe" across the street.....awesome

breakfasts there:D

17th Street, across the street from Holiday Inn you can go to

Einstien Bagels for breakfast.

I would say the biggest difference (Besides the price)...Las Olas

you can "stroll the blvd".....17th is a much busier area.......not

anything wrong with it at all.....but they do have totally "different

vibes". I have stayed in both areas over the years......I LOVE

Las Olas:D......and I like 17th. If you need a grocery store? 17th

has a Publix there, in the Harbour shops.

And I normally always take a cab to the ship. Easier than waiting

for a shuttle.

Hi Lois & TNcruiser! I'm back! We went on a 2 week land tour trip to Israel. I'm trying to get used to grey skies and sleeping in a bed full of cats again. :)

Oh wow, hope you had a wonderful trip:):D:)

for a shuttle.

Here is a link to La Bonne Crepe......I have eaten here several times

and love it!

http://www.labonnecrepe.com/about-us/

for a shuttle.

Thanks, Lori, busy is what I'm looking for :-) I also understand that they have a way to get from place to the other. Welcom back from Israel WOW

Thanks, Lori, busy is what I'm looking for :-) I also understand that they have a way to get from place to the other. Welcom back from Israel WOW

Hi, its Lois:)...not Lori.....and Sharon is the one who went to

Israel for 2 weeks:D..not me.

I wonder where you got the idea that there is not much to do downtown but that there is much stuff to do on 17th St.! 17th St is a wide busy road with a few shopping centers and lots of restaurants (half are chains which don't have table service) and a few stores, like grocery, drug, office supply, hardware, Payless, Ross, and a couple of boutiques.

Downtown/Las Olas is where the locals go. There are interesting restaurants, lots of galleries and boutiques, Museum of Art, Las Olas Riverfront, Riverwalk, 2nd St bars, Broward Center for Performing Arts, multi-plex cinema, Imax, Discovery Center, and CVS, all within walking distance of Riverside Hotel.

By any chance do you know of any good, safe hotel walking distance from the Riverside? They are asking over $200.00 for 2/1/2014 and 2/2/2014 per night.

I've seen a guest house Kira-Mar advertised that is about a mile away from the main shopping/dining area. The only other hotel in the area is Hampton Inn Downtown. The hotel itself is nice and safe and they give you breakfast and maybe shuttles. However, it is in a less traveled area of downtown, and it is close to a higher crime area. I would not walk around there at night, but you can always take a short cab ride to Riverside Hotel and walk from there. I'm sure some people walk it, but I wouldn't, as I know 2 different people who were mugged close to there.

Edited by royalcruz

I was reading the threads and was thinking of trying priceline.com I never done it. I know the Riverside is "down town" and 3 stars. what other hotels I might end up with? I thought that the Riverside is the only one in down town, so I was thinking that for sure I will end up with the Riverside.Also Some how I did not see that hotel when I clicked the 3 star their. Please tell me what hotels I might end with and how much should I bit? Thanks so much and sorry for the many questions:-)

I was reading the threads and was thinking of trying priceline.com I never done it. I know the Riverside is "down town" and 3 stars. what other hotels I might end up with? I thought that the Riverside is the only one in down town, so I was thinking that for sure I will end up with the Riverside.Also Some how I did not see that hotel when I clicked the 3 star their. Please tell me what hotels I might end with and how much should I bit? Thanks so much and sorry for the many questions:-)

Priceline and Hotwire combine the downtown area with the port area, so that explains the discrepancy. You could also get the Hyatt Place17th St. More info is available at betterbidding re:accepted bids and other zones. There is also a sticky on the CC FL departures board for Priceline bids info.

Edited by royalcruz

Priceline and Hotwire combine the downtown area with the port area, so that explains the discrepancy. You could also get the Hyatt Place17th St. More info is available at betterbidding re:accepted bids and other zones. There is also a sticky on the CC FL departures board for Priceline bids info.

Thanks Sharon for all of your help. You so sweet :-). I went ahead and listen to you. I booked the Riverside just an hour ago. I pay more without transfers or breakfast. I took the regular room and save $50.00 I'm their just to sleep any way.Like you said I want to be close to everything epically in the evening so we can go out and if nothing else we can take the water taxi. Thanks again

Thanks Sharon for all of your help. You so sweet :-). I went ahead and listen to you. I booked the Riverside just an hour ago. I pay more without transfers or breakfast. I took the regular room and save $50.00 I'm their just to sleep any way.Like you said I want to be close to everything epically in the evening so we can go out and if nothing else we can take the water taxi. Thanks again

This sounds like a wise decision if you want to go out and explore. I'm sure the basic room will be fine unless you are very particular. The only reason to take the water taxi from there is if you want to go for a boat ride. Suntrolley (or a very short cab ride) will take you to the beach. Have fun and I wish you nice weather. The Las Olas restaurants use patio heaters in the winter.

This sounds like a wise decision if you want to go out and explore. I'm sure the basic room will be fine unless you are very particular. The only reason to take the water taxi from there is if you want to go for a boat ride. Suntrolley (or a very short cab ride) will take you to the beach. Have fun and I wish you nice weather. The Las Olas restaurants use patio heaters in the winter.

Thanks, You the best. I'm sure as time get closer I will ask you more questions :-)

I am looking to book a cruise today and the difference in air to MCO vs. FLL is about $40/pp and we have 4 people. I don't mind the drive up/back to Port Canaveral for our cruise so it's a possibility.

We would head up to Cocoa Beach upon arrival and stay there for the night, going on the cruise the next morning. Upon return, I'd rent a car and head down to Ft. Lauderdale to stay the day and night, leaving the next morning from FLL.

We are me, my mom and my 2 boys (15 and 11), so we need a hotel that offers 2 beds + a sofa bed (I can sleep with the younger one, but both mom and 15 yo need their own beds).

I have not seen anyone discussing hotels that have accommodations like an Embassy Suites (but I did price the out...the location on 17th Street). Since we would be spending the day, I'd like something that offers us options for a nice last day of vacation before heading home.

Is there something else that you all recommend for our size party? I can do the Embassy and since I have the car, we can get around, but if anyone has a better recommendation, I'm all ears.