Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I am looking to book a cruise today and the difference in air to MCO vs. FLL is about $40/pp and we have 4 people. I don't mind the drive up/back to Port Canaveral for our cruise so it's a possibility.

We would head up to Cocoa Beach upon arrival and stay there for the night, going on the cruise the next morning. Upon return, I'd rent a car and head down to Ft. Lauderdale to stay the day and night, leaving the next morning from FLL.

We are me, my mom and my 2 boys (15 and 11), so we need a hotel that offers 2 beds + a sofa bed (I can sleep with the younger one, but both mom and 15 yo need their own beds).

I have not seen anyone discussing hotels that have accommodations like an Embassy Suites (but I did price the out...the location on 17th Street). Since we would be spending the day, I'd like something that offers us options for a nice last day of vacation before heading home.

Is there something else that you all recommend for our size party? I can do the Embassy and since I have the car, we can get around, but if anyone has a better recommendation, I'm all ears.

The Hyatt Place on 17th have 2 double beds and a sofa bed. It is close to the Embassy Suite.

I am looking to book a cruise today and the difference in air to MCO vs. FLL is about $40/pp and we have 4 people. I don't mind the drive up/back to Port Canaveral for our cruise so it's a possibility.

We would head up to Cocoa Beach upon arrival and stay there for the night, going on the cruise the next morning. Upon return, I'd rent a car and head down to Ft. Lauderdale to stay the day and night, leaving the next morning from FLL.

We are me, my mom and my 2 boys (15 and 11), so we need a hotel that offers 2 beds + a sofa bed (I can sleep with the younger one, but both mom and 15 yo need their own beds).

I have not seen anyone discussing hotels that have accommodations like an Embassy Suites (but I did price the out...the location on 17th Street). Since we would be spending the day, I'd like something that offers us options for a nice last day of vacation before heading home.

Is there something else that you all recommend for our size party? I can do the Embassy and since I have the car, we can get around, but if anyone has a better recommendation, I'm all ears.

Homewood Suites is south of the airport and has suites. Embassy Suites is good because it's between the beach and the airport.

Taking our 1st cruise w/o kiddos to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary..Can anyone rccm a hotel on the beach that has stores close by to get last items? & not too far from Port Everglades/airport area?

Thanks!

Marriott Beach Place and Ritz Carlton are the closest to CVS. Westin, W, Courtyard, and Bahia Mar are within walking distance (under a mile).

Stayed in the Embassy Suites in early April and thought it was fantastic. Clean, great breakfasts, managers reception, pool area, close to transport, restaurants and the port. Don't know how anyone could call it filthy !!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I went ahead & just booked Embassy Suites on 17th Street. I couldn't pass up the price ($ 109) and the ease of being so close to the airport & Port Everglades. Anyone have experience with the cost of a taxi from the airport (FLL) to hotel- hotel to port- then port back to FLL? I wanted to just grab a taxi so we are not waiting around for the hotel transportation.. I requested a waterway view at the hotel & I guess the beach is still close if we wanted to grab a taxi there. Any good places to eat around there with an outdoor patio?

[quote name='chellecruise12']I went ahead & just booked Embassy Suites on 17th Street. I couldn't pass up the price ($ 109) and the ease of being so close to the airport & Port Everglades. Anyone have experience with the cost of a taxi from the airport (FLL) to hotel- hotel to port- then port back to FLL? I wanted to just grab a taxi so we are not waiting around for the hotel transportation.. I requested a waterway view at the hotel & I guess the beach is still close if we wanted to grab a taxi there. Any good places to eat around there with an outdoor patio?[/quote]
The taxi from the airport to the hotel was $15 which included a tip. We took a shuttle from the hotel to the port (there were 9 of us). We had originally called for taxi's, but the shuttle driver made us a deal and we all got to go together. I believe were were planning on $12-15 for a taxi had we used one. The Sun Trolley will take you to the beach :) . I found the hotel very nice and in a great location. We were able to walk to dinner and shopping. The next morning we went to CVS before heading to the port. So convenient to everything.

[quote name='Jyllie63']The taxi from the airport to the hotel was $15 which included a tip. We took a shuttle from the hotel to the port (there were 9 of us). We had originally called for taxi's, but the shuttle driver made us a deal and we all got to go together. I believe were were planning on $12-15 for a taxi had we used one. The Sun Trolley will take you to the beach :) . I found the hotel very nice and in a great location. We were able to walk to dinner and shopping. The next morning we went to CVS before heading to the port. So convenient to everything.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the helpful information!! :)

[quote name='chellecruise12']I went ahead & just booked Embassy Suites on 17th Street. I couldn't pass up the price ($ 109) and the ease of being so close to the airport & Port Everglades. Anyone have experience with the cost of a taxi from the airport (FLL) to hotel- hotel to port- then port back to FLL? I wanted to just grab a taxi so we are not waiting around for the hotel transportation.. I requested a waterway view at the hotel & I guess the beach is still close if we wanted to grab a taxi there. Any good places to eat around there with an outdoor patio?[/quote]

Taxi fare to hotel will be about $15 ($1 / bag + tip)
From ES to port a little less than $15
From port to airport about the same.

[quote name='davwen81']Stayed in the Embassy Suites in early April and thought it was fantastic. Clean, great breakfasts, managers reception, pool area, close to transport, restaurants and the port. Don't know how anyone could call it filthy !!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]

Maybe your standards is different and everyone experience is different. I took pictures and made housekeeping come up with the manager. The hotel was booked so they couldn't give me another room. They ended up refunding for one nite and re clean the room again. So yes it was filthy. I'm not knocking the area. There was breakfast but was crowded...everything ran out. There's a mall right behind it with restaurants. The taxi from airport to hotel was 13 bucks but we ended up taking a shuttle to the port. It was 8 bucks per but it was quick and he brought u straight to the luggage porters. We were there for spring break so it was very crowded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by Ctrinh225

I am looking for a hotel close to the Port and water taxi. We plan on going to Ft Lauderdale 2 nights before our cruise and spend the day before riding on the water taxis. We had so much fun one night riding them when want to spend more time on them. We'll be there on Black Friday (Nov 29) Cruising on Dec 1. Any ideas?

Also...if anyone wanted a "Day Room" from 10-6 and not wait at the airports if u have a late flight...Rhode Way Inn....it was only 49 bucks and include breakfast, free wifi, and use of pools etc...and they shuttle u from port and shuttle u to airport for free. Rooms were spotless and recently renovated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='chellecruise12']I went ahead & just booked Embassy Suites on 17th Street. ... Any good places to eat around there with an outdoor patio?[/quote]
Duffy's
Southport Raw Bar (waterfront)
Quarterdeck
Bimini Boatyard (waterfront, a few blocks away)
Coco Asian Bistro

[quote name='susibell2']I am looking for a hotel close to the Port and water taxi. We plan on going to Ft Lauderdale 2 nights before our cruise and spend the day before riding on the water taxis. We had so much fun one night riding them when want to spend more time on them. We'll be there on Black Friday (Nov 29) Cruising on Dec 1. Any ideas?[/quote]
Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66 have Water Taxi stops.
Renaissance is 2 blocks away.

We get in to FLL at 11:30 pm. We have 2 nights and then cruise out of Miami. I was thinking of spending the first night in FLL and then heading down to Miami
I have found the Hyatt Pier 66 for $99.00. The Hyatt place FLL airpot for $67.00 (they have a shuttle from the airport) or the Courtyard FLL beach for $119.00 (it includes breakfast for 2). There are 4 of us myself, dh and dd 18 and her friend. Would you recommend any of these hotels?

Thank you!

[quote name='wmac']We get in to FLL at 11:30 pm. We have 2 nights and then cruise out of Miami. I was thinking of spending the first night in FLL and then heading down to Miami
I have found the Hyatt Pier 66 for $99.00. The Hyatt place FLL airpot for $67.00 (they have a shuttle from the airport) or the Courtyard FLL beach for $119.00 (it includes breakfast for 2). There are 4 of us myself, dh and dd 18 and her friend. Would you recommend any of these hotels?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

If your coming in at 1130pm then leaving out for MIA, I would think Hyatt Place would be my choice. Edited by mstelly

[quote name='wmac']We get in to FLL at 11:30 pm. We have 2 nights and then cruise out of Miami. I was thinking of spending the first night in FLL and then heading down to Miami

Thank you![/quote]
Hyatt Place is fine for one late night arrival and you'll get free shuttle and breakfast. Did you check to see that the shuttle runs that late?

They said it runs till 12......I hope so. Will we be able to see much of FLL? I thought maybe we should stay around until late afternoon and then head to Miami for dinner? I really wish I had another day there. :(

[quote name='wmac']They said it runs till 12......I hope so. Will we be able to see much of FLL? I thought maybe we should stay around until late afternoon and then head to Miami for dinner? I really wish I had another day there. :([/quote]
I didn't realize that you actually wanted to see Fort Lauderdale. There is nothing really to see around Hyatt Place airport (other than a discount shopping plaza) or Hyatt Pier 66 (other than the drawbridge that overlooks the port). Maybe you should stay at Courtyard Beach and let them hold your bags after checkout. At least you can easily explore the beach area around there by foot. It's also the closest hotel of the 3 to downtown if you want to take a short ride over to Las Olas Blvd. A taxi ride to Miami from Fort Lauderdale is going to cost close to $100. Hyatt Place is the closest so it will be the least expensive trip from there. Edited by royalcruz

we have a party of 8 and need transportation.
1. from the airport (fll) to the embassy suites near the port
2. from embassy suites to carnival freedom
3. from carnival freedom back to airport (fll)
would a cab be our best bet and how is the best to arrange setting this up? I'm not one to want to just crab a cab on the spot. I would prefer to set it up so I know my transportation is set up. any suggestions is appreciated.
thanks

[quote name='Ctrinh225']Also...if anyone wanted a "Day Room" from 10-6 and not wait at the airports if u have a late flight...Rhode Way Inn....it was only 49 bucks and include breakfast, free wifi, and use of pools etc...and they shuttle u from port and shuttle u to airport for free. Rooms were spotless and recently renovated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/quote]

You didn't like the Embassy Suites, but you recommend the Rodeway Inn? Interesting...

Thank you![/quote]

I would spend both nights in Ft Lauderdale. By the time you get to the hotel it is going to be late, so you're going to get to bed late, then you got to repack, reload and get to another hotel and do it all over again, but with nothing really to do.

Stay at the Courtyard, relax and enjoy the beach and the rocking booths on the patio of the Oasis Cafe.

[quote name='Florissouri']You didn't like the Embassy Suites, but you recommend the Rodeway Inn? Interesting...[/QUOTE]

Shocking huh...but it's true the rooms at Rhodeway was super clean and renovated while the "one room" I had at Embassy was not up to date. Plus at the time Embassy was 199 per nite. I would stay at a cheap, CLEAN place any day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='Florissouri']I would spend both nights in Ft Lauderdale. By the time you get to the hotel it is going to be late, so you're going to get to bed late, then you got to repack, reload and get to another hotel and do it all over again, but with nothing really to do.

Stay at the Courtyard, relax and enjoy the beach and the rocking booths on the patio of the Oasis Cafe.[/quote]
I agree...wmac is trying to see Fort Lauderdale and Miami in one day...it's just too much. If it was me I would stay both nights in Fort Lauderdale, or just head out for Miami in the morning and spend the day/night there.