Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

We'd like to stay at the Holiday Inn Express pre-cruise one night. Is it necessary to rent a car to get to nice resturants from there? Are they in walking distance?

Also, is there anywhere that's recommended to get rock shrimp? DH is jonsing to get some since they will be in season when we go mid-Oct.

Thanks!

We'd like to stay at the Holiday Inn Express pre-cruise one night. Is it necessary to rent a car to get to nice resturants from there? Are they in walking distance?

Also, is there anywhere that's recommended to get rock shrimp? DH is jonsing to get some since they will be in season when we go mid-Oct.

Thanks!

Which Holiday Inn Express? If you mean Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" on SE 17th Street, then no, you don't need a car. There are many many nice restaurants within walking distance.

I can't help you with rock shrimp in that area though.

We are flying into Miami from Spain (via London) next April for a 20 day HAL cruise from Ft Lauderdale and then a transatlantic back to Spain.

Because the flight is one-way we have booked our flight, transfers and hotel via HAL. We will be staying in Ft Lauderdale for 2 nights pre-cruise.

HAL have not told us which hotel yet but we understand it will probably either be the Sheraton or the Marriot in Hollywood Beach or the Westin in Ft Lauderdale.

We are planning to do some shopping on our free day (mainly toiletries/drug store type items but also possibly a few clothes) to save packing heavy luggage.

We have cruised from Ft Lauderdale on previous occasions (not since 2004) and have always stayed at Hotel Pier 66.

My questions are..

1. Does anyone know what hotels HAL are currently using the most in FL

2. How far would the hotels be from the shops if we were in Hollywood Beach?

3. How far would we be from the cruise port for day of cruise?

4. Would the Westin be better for shopping and/or the port?

5. What restaurants would we find near these 2 areas?

6. Is it true the revolving bar on top of Hotel Pier 66 is now closed? (we always loved it there the night before we sailed)

I am sure I will have lots more questions nearer the time but just want to sort out with HAL where they are likely to put us and/or change to making our own hotel arrangements.

Thanks in advance for your help

Sorry I don't know which hotels HAL uses. Perhaps you could contact them or your travel agent if you used one, and get a definitive answer.

Hollywood Beach Marriott is about 5 minutes from a Publix & Walgreens on Sheridan Street & SE5th Ave., and about 15 minutes from Port Everglades. For clothing, it's about 15-20 minutes from Aventura Mall... http://www.aventuramall.com/

There's no Sheraton in Hollywood. The only Sheratons are either at the SW corner of the Ft Lauderdale airport, or a Sheraton Suites in Cypress Creek. There's a Sheraton on Ft Lauderdale Beach, but it's currently closed for a major renovation. It's suppose to reopen in January however.

Which Westin? There are 2 in Ft Lauderdale, one on the beach and one in Cypress Creek.

Yes, the bar on top of Hyatt Pier 66 is closed to the public. They rent the space out for special events now. Quite a shame really, that was a special place.

Sorry I don't know which hotels HAL uses. Perhaps you could contact them or your travel agent if you used one, and get a definitive answer.

Hollywood Beach Marriott is about 5 minutes from a Publix & Walgreens on Sheridan Street & SE5th Ave., and about 15 minutes from Port Everglades. For clothing, it's about 15-20 minutes from Aventura Mall... http://www.aventuramall.com/

There's no Sheraton in Hollywood. The only Sheratons are either at the SW corner of the Ft Lauderdale airport, or a Sheraton Suites in Cypress Creek. There's a Sheraton on Ft Lauderdale Beach, but it's currently closed for a major renovation. It's suppose to reopen in January however.

Which Westin? There are 2 in Ft Lauderdale, one on the beach and one in Cypress Creek.

Yes, the bar on top of Hyatt Pier 66 is closed to the public. They rent the space out for special events now. Quite a shame really, that was a special place.

Thanks for the info

I asked my TA and the answer I got was the 3 hotels I listed (2 in Hollywood or the Westin). Looks like I will have to wait and see what we are allocated. I am just concerned that if we wait it will be too late to change to booking ourselves.

I would prefer a hotel nearer to shops. Because of luggage restrictions on our flights we will need to get lots of bits & pieces when we arrive.

Yes, it is a shame about the Pier 66 bar. Is there anywhere similar we can sit in FL, have a drink and overlook the cruise ships?

Thanks for the info

I asked my TA and the answer I got was the 3 hotels I listed (2 in Hollywood or the Westin). Looks like I will have to wait and see what we are allocated. I am just concerned that if we wait it will be too late to change to booking ourselves.

I would prefer a hotel nearer to shops. Because of luggage restrictions on our flights we will need to get lots of bits & pieces when we arrive.

Yes, it is a shame about the Pier 66 bar. Is there anywhere similar we can sit in FL, have a drink and overlook the cruise ships?

Can you cancel the hotel booking with HAL at this point? Then you can book the hotel you want in the location you want. It's almost always quite a bit less expensive to book your hotel yourself anyway.

Unfortunately no, if you're not staying in one of the rooms at Pier 66 or the Hilton Marina the only good view of Port Everglades is from the SE17th Street bridge.

There's a Sheraton on Ft Lauderdale Beach, but it's currently closed for a major renovation. It's suppose to reopen in January however.

Is there any word as what the Yankee Clipper is going to re-open as; there was a suggestion that perhaps as a Weston? We stayed there in January and were quite please with our room and the hotel's location.

Which Holiday Inn Express? If you mean Holiday Inn Express "Convention Center" on SE 17th Street, then no, you don't need a car. There are many many nice restaurants within walking distance.

I can't help you with rock shrimp in that area though.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I believe its the 'convention center'. Its the one that's listed as cruise/port.

bummer about the rock shrimp. We'll have to keep checking.

Is there any word as what the Yankee Clipper is going to re-open as; there was a suggestion that perhaps as a Weston? We stayed there in January and were quite please with our room and the hotel's location.

Yankee Clipper will remain a Sheraton... http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=664

The sister property, the former Sheraton Yankee Trader has reopened as a Westin... http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3328

Thanks for the info! Yes, I believe its the 'convention center'. Its the one that's listed as cruise/port.

bummer about the rock shrimp. We'll have to keep checking.

No, there are 2 Holiday Inn Express' in the area. The one that calls itself "Airport/Cruise Port" is not the one you want, it's not in a very good location.

The one in the great location that is a block from the port entrance on SE17th Street and has everything within safe, easy walking distance calls itself "Convention Center". This is the one in the great location... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/fllcc

Anyone know if we would need a rental car if we're staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 for 1 night pre-cruise? I know they have a free shuttle to the beach, but don't know if it would run at dinner time. Or are there reasonably priced places to eat within walking distance of the hotel? We are arriving Sat. at 3pm, and hading to MIA at about 11am Sun. We will need transportation to MIA anyway, but don't know if rental car is the best way to go (since we would have to pay $20 in parking at the hotel, and anywhere else we go downtown, and the time getting the car and dropping the car). Any opinions?

Renee

any input on hotel offering day rates - or something to do while waiting for flight post cruise... we have 8+ hours to kill.....

THANKS!

I believe someone said they had gotten a day room at the Sleep Inn in Dania Beach. The availability of these seem to come and go however so it's probably best to check around for the date you need one.

Anyone know if we would need a rental car if we're staying at the Hyatt Pier 66 for 1 night pre-cruise? I know they have a free shuttle to the beach, but don't know if it would run at dinner time. Or are there reasonably priced places to eat within walking distance of the hotel? We are arriving Sat. at 3pm, and hading to MIA at about 11am Sun. We will need transportation to MIA anyway, but don't know if rental car is the best way to go (since we would have to pay $20 in parking at the hotel, and anywhere else we go downtown, and the time getting the car and dropping the car). Any opinions?

Renee

Other than the restaurants on the property there's really nothing to walk to from there unless you're an avid walker. You could walk across the SE17th Street bridge to the restaurants along that street. It's really not all that far, but could be a bit much for older people or those not in the best shape. A taxi to the SE17th Street restaurants would be very cheap.

I don't know the hours of their beach shuttle, but if you take it there are many restaurants along Ft Lauderdale Beach. If it's not running, or not running when you wanted to return, taxis are plentiful and it would be a very cheap ride between the beach area and Pier 66.

There is also the Water Taxi to either the beach area or to Las Olas Blvd. downtown where you'll find many nice shops and restaurants.

Water Taxi... http://www.watertaxi.com/

Las Olas Blvd... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Edited by TrentS

Other than the restaurants on the property there's really nothing to walk to from there unless you're an avid walker. You could walk across the SE17th Street bridge to the restaurants along that street. It's really not all that far, but could be a bit much for older people or those not in the best shape. A taxi to the SE17th Street restaurants would be very cheap.

I don't know the hours of their beach shuttle, but if you take it there are many restaurants along Ft Lauderdale Beach. If it's not running, or not running when you wanted to return, taxis are plentiful and it would be a very cheap ride between the beach area and Pier 66.

There is also the Water Taxi to either the beach area or to Las Olas Blvd. downtown where you'll find many nice shops and restaurants.

Water Taxi... http://www.watertaxi.com/

Las Olas Blvd... http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

Thanks! I'll have to decide what I want to do.

Renee

We need one night precruise in March. Prefer a room for 5 and Marriott for points. The 2 places we are looking at are: Fairfield Inn & Suites... a new one that opens in October or Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport. I know that neither is a high end place but as we get in at 7 at night and leave the next morning didnt want to spend a lot. But dont want to be in a dump either. Any advice?

We need one night precruise in March. Prefer a room for 5 and Marriott for points. The 2 places we are looking at are: Fairfield Inn & Suites... a new one that opens in October or Springhill Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport. I know that neither is a high end place but as we get in at 7 at night and leave the next morning didnt want to spend a lot. But dont want to be in a dump either. Any advice?

Either would be okay for that, but are you going to want to go out to dinner? Springhill is fine, and across from a large strip mall with restaurants. It's a bit of a walk to them though.

The new Fairfield Inn isn't really within walking distance to any restaurants.

Another option in the same area, should be similarly priced, is a fairly new Marriott Courtyard... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllht-courtyard-fort-lauderdale-airport-and-cruise-port/

It's next door to a nice restaurant if you'll want to go out to dinner... http://www.fishcompany.com/Page/Dania-Beach-Florida.aspx

Hey RC...I'm in your hood:)

Got in late last night, so missed hitting any spots for dinner. Too busy to grab bkfst or lunch today, so I just hit Tom Jenkins early to soothe the Q joneses.

Out of here in the early AM to Boca, which a quick slip down Atlantic to Dandee Donuts:D. Sad to miss the start of Dine FL this year. Oh, well maybe next time.

Hey, there, I hope you had a good time in Boca. The last time I went to Tom Jenkins was a couple of years ago on a Saturday afternoon. I was there for takeout for 2 and it took an hour. The food is good but I lost my patience with that place.

There's no Sheraton in Hollywood. The only Sheratons are either at the SW corner of the Ft Lauderdale airport, or a Sheraton Suites in Cypress Creek.

Right, the airport Sheraton is in Dania Beach, between Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale. It's nice enough, but there is nothing there. The same goes for the Westin Fort Lauderdale-Cypress Creek.

Curious....why do people choose to have the cruise lines book hotels for them? Are the prices too good to resist?

Edited by royalcruz

Curious....why do people choose to have the cruise lines book hotels for them? Are the prices too good to resist?

Normally it's the opposite, you can almost always do far better booking your own hotels. Same goes for air.

Edited by TrentS

Right, the airport Sheraton is in Dania Beach, between Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale. It's nice enough, but there is nothing there. The same goes for the Westin Fort Lauderdale-Cypress Creek.

We don't normally do this. On this occasion it started with getting HAL to book our flight. We could not find a reasonable one-way flight because all the airlines have very high 'one-way' rates and HAL managed to get us a reasonable deal in Business Class.

In the end we just got a complete quote for the whole trip from HAL (3 cruises B2B2B, flight, transfers & hotel). The final figure we got does not itemise the individual costs just the total. When they allocate us our hotel I will come here again and check it out and if not happy will change to booking our own but that will probably also mean arranging transfers.

We don't normally do this. On this occasion it started with getting HAL to book our flight. We could not find a reasonable one-way flight because all the airlines have very high 'one-way' rates and HAL managed to get us a reasonable deal in Business Class.

In the end we just got a complete quote for the whole trip from HAL (3 cruises B2B2B, flight, transfers & hotel). The final figure we got does not itemise the individual costs just the total. When they allocate us our hotel I will come here again and check it out and if not happy will change to booking our own but that will probably also mean arranging transfers.

Don't worry about arranging transfers. The airport is 5 minutes from the port and there are lots of hotels by the port. A cab will not run you a lot of money unless you stay out of the area, and you'll be able to go when you went instead of waiting for a ride.

Don't worry about arranging transfers. The airport is 5 minutes from the port and there are lots of hotels by the port. A cab will not run you a lot of money unless you stay out of the area, and you'll be able to go when you went instead of waiting for a ride.

We are flying from the UK into Miami, not FLL.

I don't know if you have ever done a European cruise but this is the same for us the other way around. We have to fly from a regional Spanish airport via London to Miami with all the luggage restrictions that involves.

We then fly on a one-way flight from LHR to MIA (our return is transatlantic cruise).

The logistics are a nightmare. The amount of money this cruise is costing we just thought it would be easier to pay for someone else to worry about the details.

I am just getting concerned that we are not going to be placed in a hotel that suits our needs.