Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Bequia, Can you tell me anything about Advantage Car Rental on 7th Ave.??

We are flying into FLL and heading to West Palm for 10 days. Rental cars are so expensive. They have some good deals at Advantage, but we rent from the airport and have never heard of them.

Thank You!!

Welcome back Bequia! You were missed. What do you know about the new Homewood Suites? I think it's on on Griffin? The price is reasonable and includes parking, while on a cruise, I believe. How is the area? Walking distance to store for wine and restaurants? Thanks, I've followed your advice a lot in the past!

we will be flying in to FLL and our cruise departs from Miami....we are a party of 4. Suggestions?

Our concerns are getting to & from airport, pier, hotel etc.

should we stay in FLL area, or MIA? Rent a car or rely on Taxi?

We are trying to be budget friendly.

Thanks in advance.

I would also love to know this info. We are coming in end of March. Would love to be able to fly into FLL (cheaper flights) but don't know if it would be worth it. Thanks for any help!

I ended up booking my rental car (suv) from Miami airport. We will just take the train from FLL to MIA airport. It's only a few bucks each. I was able to find a larger rental at MIA for half the price of FLL. Then when we return the rental car, we can just take a cab straight from the airport to the pier for a flat rate. Seems like alot of running around, but we don't mind. We will stay in Miami, closer to the airport. It will be cheaper. We just need a clean safe room. We will be flying in early a.m. Friday so the rental will be due back early Saturday.

Last time, dh & rented a car and returned it "near the pier" but it cost about $15 bucks for a cab from the car rental (just a few blocks away) to the pier. Se we just thought it would be easier.

It's cheaper on Southwest into FLL. so we invest our time instead of $'s lol. more for vacation lol.

Hi, we are cruising from Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of weeks. We are currently booked at the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina. Is this a nice hotel for two adults and an 11 year old child? Would you have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

hotel is nice,could be cleaner,but ok,nice pool,nice lobby and veeery expencive restaurant:eek:

Hi Bequia, We're flying into MIA the day before our ship leaves from FLL cruise port. We are staying at the Hyatt Place and thinking about taking the tri-rail from MIA to FLL and using the free hotel shuttle from FLL to the hotel.

It would only cost us about $8.00 as opposed to $64.00 with Super Shuttle for the both of us. In your opinion, do you think this is doable without too much trouble? (For some reason, car rentals are hovering about $65.00 for that weekend as well.)

i was told the shuttle for the train is right outside southwest gates...then bypass all the traffic and go straight to miami....that's it's a straight shot. is this not correct?

No, that is not correct. Tri-Rail is not a viable option for tourists. It is not AT or connected to the airports... You need to take a bus or taxi from MIA to the station, then you need to take another bus or taxi from the station in Ft. Lauderdale to the airport.

Tri-Rail is a commuter train, and not a very good one at that. It's frequently delayed and there is nowhere for luggage. It's not designed for tourist use, it's far more trouble than it's worth, by the time you get done with it you'll be exhausted and wishing you'd have just taken a shuttle or rented a car!

i was told the shuttle for the train is right outside southwest gates...then bypass all the traffic and go straight to miami....that's it's a straight shot. is this not correct?

as trent said, there is a (small) bus to the tri rail station....but do not expect any help (or any PLACE) for your stuff.

Tri rail is more hassle than it is worth. IMO it is worth the extra money to just rent the car in FLL

Try priceline for a rental car.....you really do NOT want to mess with tri rail..it is VERY undependable and VERY not tourist friendly....been there, done that, never again.

Hi Bequia, We're flying into MIA the day before our ship leaves from FLL cruise port. We are staying at the Hyatt Place and thinking about taking the tri-rail from MIA to FLL and using the free hotel shuttle from FLL to the hotel.

It would only cost us about $8.00 as opposed to $64.00 with Super Shuttle for the both of us. In your opinion, do you think this is doable without too much trouble? (For some reason, car rentals are hovering about $65.00 for that weekend as well.)

Not worth the aggravation. Try priceline for a car rental.....you have to take a shuttle from the airport to the tri rail, and then haul all your stuff....then take ANOTHER shuttle to FLL to get the hotel shuttle. it's hard to get on the train with bags as there are a few steps (and the cars are 2 levels..) The shuttles are not big nor are they luggage friendly and do not expect any assistance.

It is a commuter rail, it is often NOT on time, and it's mroe trouble than it is worth....again, been there, done that with bags and never again.

What's the most cost effective way to get from Ft Laurderdale airport to pier for a Costa Cruise? I'll have a total of 6 people. What about the return trip?

Cabs (you'd probably need 2...) would be about 30-40 TOTAL (15-20 bucks each cab, each way...so 60-80 all together )

Thanks for the information on the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina, when you say OK clean, what does that mean. I need really clean! Ok so I am a little OCD... we are making a really long drive and I want somewhere that will be a nice place to relax the day prior to our cruise. Do you or anyone else out there have a better suggestion? I am really not that hard to please but do prefer nice CLEAN surroundings.

Thanks for the information on the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Marina, when you say OK clean, what does that mean. I need really clean! Ok so I am a little OCD... we are making a really long drive and I want somewhere that will be a nice place to relax the day prior to our cruise. Do you or anyone else out there have a better suggestion? I am really not that hard to please but do prefer nice CLEAN surroundings.

I know exactly what you mean by CLEAN, I'm the same way... The Hilton Marina was completely gutted to bare concrete and rebuilt a couple of years ago. It's a very nice place, among the "cleanest" you're going to find in that price range. The others along SE17th Street in that same class, Embassy Suites, Renaissance, are both very nice as well, but none of them are "perfect".

Personally though I tend to stick with Ritz-Carlton, Four Season, members of The Leading Hotels of the World as I find their standards are higher than most Hiltons, Hyatts, Marriotts, etc., but then again I'm extremely picky about where I sleep, shower, etc.

If you're really picky, then go with the Ritz-Carlton, it's on the beach, 10 minutes from Port Everglades... http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/FortLauderdale/Default.htm

Wow! I can't imagine that the train is so horrible! We travel alot and have been using trains all over the world (with carryon bags) and I can't imagine that the tri-rail would be that awful. But I'm going to wait until Bequia responds before we book a car rental. I will be very interested in what she has to say. But thank you all for your input and we will take it all into consideration.

By the way, we were planning on just taking the shuttle from MIA to the tri-rail, which is a 2 minute ride, and then a taxi from the FLL station to our hotel. Does anyone know if there are usually taxis at the FLL tri-rail station?

I definitely need help! We are flying into FLL day b4 cruise (Celebrity). Need:

1. Recommend a hotel near port that would provide shuttle from airport. Or alternative to travel to hotel.

2. Upon return, need to rent a car. How get from terminal to car rental - shuttle? which rental would be best

3. Will be returning the car to Vero Beach

Any and all suggestions!! thanks

I would appreciate if you could help me decide which hotel to book in FLL pre- and post-cruise in December. My husband can't walk too far to restaurants, etc. so that is why I am reluctant to book any property without dining facilities.

I'm the opposite -- I enjoy walking and exploring new areas.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites in the past. I didn't particular care for the Hyatt Place -- nothing much to do nearby.

Renassiance and Pelican Grand are a bit pricey near the holidays.

Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.

We are coming to FLL in November and my mom really wants to do some outlet shopping before we leave on our cruise. We are staying at the Renaissance and I am wondering how difficult it would be to get to the Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall? Is it worth the trip? We are not planning on renting a car so how woudl we get there?

Sawgrass is DEFINATLY worth a day trip. But emphasis on the whole day. It is huge and cant even really be done in one day, but we have it down to a science and only go int the stores we like/need. Why dont you rent a car for the day.

1. Recommend a hotel near port that would provide shuttle from airport. Or alternative to travel to hotel.

2. Upon return, need to rent a car. How get from terminal to car rental - shuttle? which rental would be best

Any of the the SE17th Street hotels. They're less than 10 minutes from FLL and just outside the entrance to Port Everglades with dozens of restaurants, shops, grocery, drug, & liquor stores, water taxi, Sun Trolley, all within easy walking distance.

Some have shuttles, but IMO they're far more trouble than they're worth. They're so close to the airport that a taxi is cheap, easy and much quicker.

Embassy Suites... http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/FLLSOES-Embassy-Suites-Fort-Lauderdale-th-Street-Florida/index.do

Renaissance... http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/fllbr-renaissance-fort-lauderdale-hotel/

Hilton Marina... http://www.fortlauderdalemarinahotel.com/

Holiday Inn Express Convention Center... http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/fllcc

Extended Stay America... http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/hotels/fort-lauderdale-convention-center-marina.html

Hyatt Place... http://ftlauderdaleairport.place.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/place/index.jsp

All the major rental car companies are at the airport, which is adjacent to Port Everglades... When you return from your cruise just grab a taxi to the Rental Car Center at FLL... http://www.broward.org/airport/parking_transportation_rentals.htm